Options

Is Vedder The Only Decent Songwriter Left In PJ?

Comments

• Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Bottom line, its important that they enjoy writing together, accepting each others ideas and taking risks and exploring new musical experiences.

I very much agree with you.

Unfortunatley when pearl jam try different stuff (Binaural, RA) people moan....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I very much agree with you.

Unfortunatley when pearl jam try different stuff (Binaural, RA) people moan....
    Indeed they do, but each to their own.

Binaural is my favourite album, and I hold Riot Act in much higher esteem than Avocado.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    audiodave wrote:

Binaural is my favourite album, and I hold Riot Act in much higher esteem than Avocado.

Yield will always be my favourite but Binaural and RA are always fighting it out for second place.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    the day that Ed is the only one contributing is the day that PJ ends IMO... it was said in SVT that the only thing that kept PJ together during the rough times was everyone coming together and adding their own to great albums like no code and yield... and quite frankly im not crazy about ITW when you compare it to what the band has done together...

P.S. stones the best
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    if eddie gets anymore control over this band, THEY WILL BECOME THE WHO
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    If Eddie had complete control over the band he probably would dismiss them all as inferior humans and hire a supergroup. This supergroup would consist of Geddy Lee on Bass, or no Michael Anthony that van halen guy... now on guitar, Tom Morello...or that one guy from that one band.....

Shut up, if PJ were just Eddie it would not be too interesting for too long. Do people really think all of ed's songs are solely his ideas, no one in the band helps to shape them? They are a band, a great one.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • Options
    I think its awesome that everyone in the band contributes, but I do think that Eddie Jeff and Stone are the best team of writers.

I would prefer if they handled the bulk of the song writing duties but also allow a couple of songs from Matt and Mike if they are up to par.

I have always dreamed of a groundbreaking studio album from Pearl Jam (like an Auchtung Baby or Ok Computer) but it WON'T happen if all of the members have there own agendas when writing songs.

IMO a truly groundbreaking studio album is the only thing this band has yet to accomplish.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    If anything, I would probably want less Ed on the next album.....

More Mike and Stone please.....
  • Options
    Ed and Stone are both hit and miss, but they should be the main writers, the others suck. sorry guys.
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    Ed and Stone are both hit and miss, but they should be the main writers, the others suck. sorry guys.

Really?

Man, i disagree.....

We need them all writing more.....
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    If anything, I would probably want less Ed on the next album.....

More Mike and Stone please.....

I agree, no offense to ed but i just couldnt handle another world wide suicide...

Id like to see more Jeff and Stone on lyrics. maybe some mike too. Oh and LET STONE SING!!! :)

Holy crap, ed wrote all of don't gimme no lip? Now thats pretty badass... maybe his best work :D
  • Options
    RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    I'm beginning to feel that way..

If the next album was 80-90% words & music by Eddie Vedder. Would that be such a bad thing?

Ed's songs are easily my least favorite of the PJ catalogue. I much prefer Stone and Mike songs, with a little Jeff thrown in.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    Holy crap, ed wrote all of don't gimme no lip? Now thats pretty badass... maybe his best work :D

I think you meant to say Stone.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    I agree, no offense to ed but i just couldnt handle another world wide suicide...

Id like to see more Jeff and Stone on lyrics. maybe some mike too. Oh and LET STONE SING!!! :)

Lol, i laughed when I read that, not a huge fan of WWS myself.....

would love a less political record.....like you said more Stone and Jeff on the lyrics and LET MIKE WRITE MORE MUSIC AS HE IS THE FUCKIN' SHIT.....
  • Options
    mnarob3mnarob3 Posts: 235
    Mine wrote:
    Inside Job is just ok. The intro is too pretentious and the way the song evolves doesn't justify it.

As for Jeff, i will be honest, I'd prefer if his songs were left as B-sides. Same goes for Matt. Stone is hit or miss.

Eddie is definitely the most elaborate and complete songwriter in the band everything else is just a matter of taste.

I know most people here don't agree but it is Eddie and then everybody else.

ps. writing a riff is not writing the music of a song

no,no,no,no!!! Eddie is A GREAT songwriter, i agree! but, how can you say that about Mike, Jeff, Stone and Matt? Jeff wrote Nothingman, NAIS, Jeremy...!!!Stone, most of the music on Ten, and is still creating amazing songs!!, Mike,..khm,.Yellow ledbetter, Inside Job( which is one of PJ's best songs IMHO!!)GIVEN TO FLY!!!! and Matt wrote You Are, Unemployable!!
    They all are great musicians!!!!!!!!!!!

This is how I feel:)
    *~~bologna 14.9.2006~~*~~vienna 25.9.2006~~*~~zagreb 26.9.2006~~
    *~~munich 12.6.2007~~*~~chorzow 13.6.2007~~*
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    ed is the best, hands down. not just in pj but in modern music in general. however, mike seems to be getting better as time goes on. down, last soldier, inside job. he seems to be more confident in his writing skills. look out for a killer mike track on the next album
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    I have always dreamed of a groundbreaking studio album from Pearl Jam (like an Auchtung Baby or Ok Computer) but it WON'T happen if all of the members have there own agendas when writing songs.

IMO a truly groundbreaking studio album is the only thing this band has yet to accomplish.

What about Ten? I always felt that was such a dominant well written album. plus with the way it came together it could never be duplicated. I feel this has liberated the band out of trying to do exactly what you say.

Anyways I've liked their last 4 albums the best. I think the band needs all the contributions. Vitalogy was all ed and as they all say it didn't exactly represent the best time for the band.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    so, that crack that you smoked...it was pretty low grade.

just fyi.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623

Personally I would rather not see PJ thrown in with the Radiohead's and U2's of this world.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options

If the next album was 80-90% words & music by Eddie Vedder. Would that be such a bad thing?

What? are you serious? I agree with Mine ...
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,745
    rvp wrote:
    YES, that would be a EV album with colaboration from other musicians, that would not be pearl jam, and that my friend WOULD BE VERY BAD...

Or, that would be Vitalogy. Which I thought was excellent.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    AraineaArainea Posts: 58

I agree...more Jeff and Stone lyrics!

But it's interesting how two people can listen to the same song yet draw completely different conclusions from it. Don't Give Me No Lip seems to me to validate my belief that Stone ought NOT sing! ;-)

But really, it just goes to show how important it is that PJ continues to be a collaborative effort. Just look at the difference of opinion on this thread about whose songs are the best! :-)
  • Options
    Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638

No,it wouldn't be bad at all considering how pathetic(harsh word to use but it's true)some of the other guys' efforts have been lately.Big Wave,Get Right,Evacuation,Help,Help, etc. Inside Job was the best song on Avacado,fair play to Mike for that but I Am Mine,Love Boat Captain,Worldwide Suicide and all the best ones on the last few albums have all been Ed.Hopefully Jeff can get it together and write another one like Pilate and Stone could write something like In Hiding again but still....I dunno...as long as Matt doesn't write any.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    mindi wrote:
    Are you kidding?

i think he has to be...perhaps he's forgotten about Stone and Jeff being responsible for 10...
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    audiodave wrote:
    Personally I would rather not see PJ thrown in with the Radiohead's and U2's of this world.

I knew someone would think I meant that. I don't want them to sound like these bands, I want them to challenge themselves when they make a studio record. The closest they have come imo was Vitology or No Code. Whatever the thought process was behind those two albums would be welcomed again because those are the two most CREATIVE PJ albums.

And sorry but Ten was not groundbreaking. It's my Third favorite PJ record but it was not groundbreaking.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    Matt's songwriting and contributions to the songs are prob the best thing that could have happened to the band. Vitalogy was more or less Eddie, so they've already been down that road. It was an awesome result, something I don't think could be repeated (obviously).
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Mine wrote:
    Inside Job is just ok. The intro is too pretentious and the way the song evolves doesn't justify it.
    In what sense is the intro pretentious???! It's music for chrissakes. Is it the length? any song past 3 mins is pretentious? or maybe it's the piano... cos that shit is so avant-garde and has no place in rock music, right? :rolleyes:

Jeez. this band does not exist to make songs the way YOU want them to. Statements like this make me despair for music listeners. Just my two cents.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Couldn't read all the comments but personally I got tired of listening to Into the Wild after less than a week.

Give me a Pearl Jam album without Eddie. Instrumentals would even be great.
    #FHP
  • Options
    first of all, no. lowlight, you are, inside job...all incredible songs. musical contributions from every memeber is what allows this band to write full albums worth of material. arguabky ed can do it alone as seen with into the wild, but how long is that entire album?
    someone said pearl jam hasnt released a groundbreaking album but thats a very questionable phrase. what does one consider groundbreaking?
    i think some people on here would consider vitalogy groundbreaking with all of the experimentation. other may view no code as groundbreaking just due to the statement the band was making when they wrote it. others could argue that yield is this bands masterpiece, or say that avacado is groundbreaking just in the way it brought this band back in the eyes of the people that arent diehards like us.
    they did those albums together. in no way am i taking away from ed, especially since he is the "frontman". however, if the other guys didnt put in even half of the talent they had, these albums would have made no impact at all and this band would have been gone a long time ago.
  • Options
    mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    first of all, no. lowlight, you are, inside job...all incredible songs. musical contributions from every memeber is what allows this band to write full albums worth of material. arguabky ed can do it alone as seen with into the wild, but how long is that entire album?
    someone said pearl jam hasnt released a groundbreaking album but thats a very questionable phrase. what does one consider groundbreaking?

snip

That reminds me of another phrase that drives me crazy, "relevant". I've heard people say that Pearl Jam haven't been relevant to music for years. Relevant how? Album sales? Ticket sales? Radio play? Influence on other musicians? Internet promotion? When I make them break it down to exactly HOW they aren't relevant, I always walk away making them realize that PJ are still very much relevant to the music industry. Heck, sometimes I've gone so far as to convince them they are innovators, especially with the concert bootlegs.

Not relevant my ass!

As for being on topic... I've always felt that Ed/Mike/Stone (together or in pairs) have come up with the best tunes. However, Jeff has put in some great contributions along the way. Matt's songs don't really do it for me but at least when they write it's a GROUP effort, and I truly hope it stays that way.

I want the next album to be a Pearl Jam record, not an Ed solo album with the band playing as studio musicians. They are better than that. That's why they've been around so long and I've long been a fan of the saying, "If it's not broke, don't fix it."
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11