Options

Is Vedder The Only Decent Songwriter Left In PJ?

Army & NavyArmy & Navy Posts: 120
edited January 2008 in The Porch
I'm beginning to feel that way..

If the next album was 80-90% words & music by Eddie Vedder. Would that be such a bad thing?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    dont forget inside job was by mr mike mcCready. So I would disagree for now, though with Eddie's efforts on ITW I would be happy with a major major contribution from Eddie on the next album. Just my thoughts.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    Are you kidding?
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Blasphemy!
    What about Jeff?
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045

If the next album was 80-90% words & music by Eddie Vedder. Would that be such a bad thing?

Officially the silliest thing I will read today....:)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394

Let's not be insulting to the other musicians in PJ, okay?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    MineMine Posts: 556
    Inside Job is just ok. The intro is too pretentious and the way the song evolves doesn't justify it.

As for Jeff, i will be honest, I'd prefer if his songs were left as B-sides. Same goes for Matt. Stone is hit or miss.

Eddie is definitely the most elaborate and complete songwriter in the band everything else is just a matter of taste.

I know most people here don't agree but it is Eddie and then everybody else.

ps. writing a riff is not writing the music of a song
    I knew who I was before other people started telling me who I was. J.Joplin
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    no
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    itw is a great collection of songs but its not a pj album, no disrespect but if it was marketed as a pj album i would be dissapointed, of course eddie has provided the bulk of the lyrics for quite a few of the albums but itw wasnt heavy nor was it supposed to be, i think that an album with 90% eddie lyrics and music wouldnt reflect the band properly.
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,559
    pjfan31 wrote:
    dont forget inside job was by mr mike mcCready. So I would disagree for now, though with Eddie's efforts on ITW I would be happy with a major major contribution from Eddie on the next album. Just my thoughts.

Mine too

Eddie is by far the best songwriter. The other members should all be thankfull to have such a talented guy still wanting to play with them. Its my opinion that without Eddie's writing, pearl jam will dry up.

Eddie on the other hand has proven that he can do just as well by himself. He is far superior in terms of songwriting, and you understand that when you hear a guy like Stone say they are ready to hit the studio when Eddie calls them in. Tells you a little bit about where pearl jam is today.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options

YOu're kidding right? Life Wasted, alone, bitch slapped all of Eddie's songs on the past album.

WWS was meh, Severed Hand was uneven, and Gone was a major clunker.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    rvprvp Posts: 779

YES, that would be a EV album with colaboration from other musicians, that would not be pearl jam, and that my friend WOULD BE VERY BAD...

edit: and to answer your question "Is Vedder The Only Decent Songwriter Left In PJ?" NO, HE IS NOT.
    fuera de este mundo
  • Options
    tremor leo wrote:
    itw is a great collection of songs but its not a pj album, no disrespect but if it was marketed as a pj album i would be dissapointed, of course eddie has provided the bulk of the lyrics for quite a few of the albums but itw wasnt heavy nor was it supposed to be, i think that an album with 90% eddie lyrics and music wouldnt reflect the band properly.
    It is a soundtrack that was written for a specific purpose to fit an already existing score and film. It's not fair to compare the structures of the songs and the arrangements to Pearl Jam. The songwriting however is superb.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    today, i guess eddie is the best songwriter, but thats only because he writes most of the songs. if stone wrote some more songs then we would have an easier way of knowing. personally i like matts songs,except for evacuation,which is OK. unemployable and you are are GREAT, so is in the moonlight. stone wrote alot of the earlier stuff, so obivously he can write songs. mikes songs are more complicated IMO. marker in the sand and given to fly arent really straightforward.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    HailRoad24 wrote:
    YOu're kidding right? Life Wasted, alone, bitch slapped all of Eddie's songs on the past album.

WWS was meh, Severed Hand was uneven, and Gone was a major clunker.
    Life Wasted's melody and lyrics existed before Stone came up with the riff for which he is credited. It's known the credits in PJ are not terribly accurate.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    It depends on what type of songs you like. I haven't heard most of the ITW songs.

Most of Stone's lyrics I don't understand, but I like the music he writes.
    Regarding Mike, Inside Job was my favorite song on Avocado Blue, and I loved GTF long before I knew what the lyrics were. I hope he adds more.
    Jeff is consistent in theme. So, if there's a Jeff song time to sit back and hear a man discuss his own personal challenges.
    Ed has a great writing talent. Dirty Frank is my benchmark for him. That was intuitive, humourous, and yet direct. As someone else noted, Gone, was not up to par IMHO.
    I understand Matt's lyrics only slightly better than Stone's, but his creation of a song is complete. The same amount of energy seems to be used for music, lyrics, whathaveyou.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    AraineaArainea Posts: 58

I love Jeff songs. I'd miss them for sure.

I think that with Pearl Jam, the sum is greater than the parts.
  • Options
    evidently th context that itw was created in was far diffrent to that in which pearl jam`s albums are created but i cant see how having an album penned almost solely by one man cant ba a good idea for pearl jam the likes of matt and jeff are to good at what they do to be xcluded frm the creation of the music they play
  • Options
    I thought I should back up my original post..Don't get me wrong, I think as live musicians and players, the rest of PJ are top notch. No-one can catch them, but since 2000 I just think Vedder is not only writing 60% of all the material but that 60% is the best stuff...I mean take:

Insiginicance
    Greivance
    I Am Mine
    Parting Ways
    Severed Hand
    Worldwide Suicide
    Man of The Hour
    Undone
    Can't Keep
    Green Disease
    Sad
    Education

Can anyone deny, that list contains their best songs this decade?
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    eddie writes the best lyrics and he should...he's the singer. Stone is the best writer in the band though

alive
    even flow
    In Hiding
    DTE
    Life Wasted (just because ed had lyrics before the music doesn't mean stone didn't write the music)
    Parachutes
    Fatal (words AND music)
    Footsteps
    Hard to Imagine
    Once
    Black

and that's just stone...the list would be much longer if it were Stone/Jeff or Stone/Mike. One other thing is that lately...a lot of Ed's songs aren't really that original...they are VERY similar to Who songs...which is fine, I don't really care but he's not the best songwriter in the band, on guitar anyway.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    dr teethdr teeth Posts: 115
    this post is just crazy.he's tied for fourth with matt.that's just the way it is.i mean, have you heard parachutes and marker in the sand?
    jeter drinks wine coolers
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    One of the things I love about PJ is that everyone writes. I think it's great that everyone is able to contribute something, and I don't prefer anyone's songs over anyone else...I don't bother to sit down and memorise who wrote each individual song. I'm not THAT bored.

Anyway, if all the writing was left to Ed, then it would take away one of the major things that makes PJ the band they are. To me at least.

So I guess my answer to your question is...hell no.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    I thought I should back up my original post..Don't get me wrong, I think as live musicians and players, the rest of PJ are top notch. No-one can catch them, but since 2000 I just think Vedder is not only writing 60% of all the material but that 60% is the best stuff...I mean take:

Insiginicance
    Greivance
    I Am Mine
    Parting Ways
    Severed Hand
    Worldwide Suicide
    Man of The Hour
    Undone
    Can't Keep
    Green Disease
    Sad
    Education

Can anyone deny, that list contains their best songs this decade?

I think these are your favorite ones, but not necessarily the best ones.

As someone else said above, PJ is what it is because of the whole group of people.

For example, Stone and Matt's songs may not be initially as appealing as Ed's but some of them have better staying power over time because they are more complicated. Perhaps Mike and Jeff don't write as many songs but wouldn't you miss Given to Fly, Inside Job, and Nothingman?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    I'd be disappointed to have a PJ album where the only contribution was from Ed. I think the rest of the band are happy for Ed to make most of a contribution but then they add in gems like Lowlight, Unemployable, Nothing As It Seems and Inside Job.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    NC_IrieNC_Irie Posts: 270
    pjfan31 wrote:

dont forget about jingle bells. that was all mike. no one else was credited there.
    Empty pockets will allow a greater sense of wealth.
    Why contain yourself like any other book on the shelf?

Subtle voices in the wind hear the truth they're telling.
    A world begins where the road ends.
    Watch me leave it all behind.
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Of course not. The only hopes i could have for the next album is a more "binaural" apt album... (IE, the whole band having writing credits ect) oh and no more backing vocals from Matt.... not his fault, i just dont think matt's and ed's voice mesh that well together....
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Ok. I'm looking through the post 2000 albums now, and it seems to me that the most interesting/different sounding songs come from people other than Ed. I WANT songs like that.

Nothing As It Seems, Of The Girl, Rival, Sleight Of Hand (music), You Are, Help Help, Half Full (music), All Or None...most of the more interesting music was written by someone other than Ed on Avocado, not to mention Inside Job. And let's not forget Lost Dogs, with the likes of Fatal, Otherside, Strangest Tribe (not post 2000 I know), Down (music)...

It all comes down to your opinion. It seems other people here greatly disagree.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Although I prefer In The Wild to Avocado (at least at the minute) I'd hate to see Pearl Jam become all Ed....Mike wrote Given To Fly, 'nuff said.....

The great thing about Pearl Jam is the fact that all members are very individual and contribute very different and unique things....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    come now folks ED with out the rest of the band or band with out ED, would be totally different style of songs written by all party's involved one can't work with out the other in collaboration leading up to recording an album ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
    Eddie contributes to over 90% of everything as is. So why is this a surprise to anyone?
  • Options
    From how i see it; they're a band, they write music together. Ideas come from all around and everyone can add something to that particular song if it works; its about the best thing for the song, not the best thing for their egos.

Bottom line, its important that they enjoy writing together, accepting each others ideas and taking risks and exploring new musical experiences.