Options

selling tickets on Ebay - thoughts?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    Get_Right wrote:
    Actually thats the law on the subject and its part of why resale is restricted, its not property, its a license. Just like your drivers license. Terms of use are restricted.

if it were property, than you would be free to sell it for whatever you want, kinda like posters, which are property.

You are in essence paying for the privilege to enter the arena and see the show. You have almost no other rights as far as that ticket goes.

If I have some tickets that I don't want and I can't return, the only real option is to sell them. If it is illegal to sell them no matter what then if I am going to go through with it I might as well make some cash for the risk I am taking.

The way I see it if you buy a ticket for $50, realize you don't want it and try to sell it and the going rate is $75 by not selling it for that price you are basically giving someone free money. Sure I don't have any problem doing that for a friend or family member as a favuor. But I wouldn't give free money to some random person I don't know for no reason, so why would I do the same thing as part of selling a ticket? Now if someone who is so against selling their tickets for anything but face value wants to send me some free money (because they are clearly so principled) then I will be happy to accept it.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    jamie uk wrote:
    How can you relate down loading music to re-selling tickets sir?

read the thread.. pegasus was claiming it immoral and not respectful to re-sell a concert ticket... now bear in mind the artist already has their 'cut' of the concert ticket then the only person getting (financially) screwed is the person paying for it... everyone else has had their cut.

now pegasus does download music from free sites, that DIRECTLY affects the artist so i think its kinda rich to be espousing good morals and integrity when that person is ok with free downloading which doesnt support the artist but NOT ok when it comes to someone selling their unwanted tickets on Ebay.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Depends. I had planned to see 7 or 8 shows (2 tickets per show) on the U2 Elevation tour that I had scored General Admission (the heart) tix to on Ticketmaster using regular means. Something came up and I wasn't able to travel. I put them all up on eBay individually starting at $1 (I think they had a face value of ~$45). All of them sold for over $300, a few over $400. I collected the money happily. Does that make me evil? It isn't my fault that there are rich people out there willing to outbid their middle-class peers. And I didn't mind the profit. I felt no particular obligation to spend effort tracking down u2 fans and selling them for face value + fees. And you know what? If I were ever in this position with tons of extra Pearl Jam tickets (non fan-club, of course), I don't think I'd do anything differently.
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    Depends. I had planned to see 7 or 8 shows (2 tickets per show) on the U2 Elevation tour that I had scored General Admission (the heart) tix to on Ticketmaster using regular means. Something came up and I wasn't able to travel. I put them all up on eBay individually starting at $1 (I think they had a face value of ~$45). All of them sold for over $300, a few over $400. I collected the money happily. Does that make me evil? It isn't my fault that there are rich people out there willing to outbid their middle-class peers. And I didn't mind the profit. I felt no particular obligation to spend effort tracking down u2 fans and selling them for face value + fees. And you know what? If I were ever in this position with tons of extra Pearl Jam tickets (non fan-club, of course), I don't think I'd do anything differently.

Makes sense to me. Like I said in my last post if you had sold them for $45 you would basically be giving away $355 to someone you don't know for no reason.
  • Options
    WEAPONX24WEAPONX24 Posts: 131
    brianwp wrote:
    One guy selling his extra tix and making a few bucks = not so bad
    Scalper making a living off of screwing fans who can't get tix = scumbag

I AGREE 110%!!!!
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    dunkman wrote:
    read the thread.. pegasus was claiming it immoral and not respectful to re-sell a concert ticket... now bear in mind the artist already has their 'cut' of the concert ticket then the only person getting (financially) screwed is the person paying for it... everyone else has had their cut.

now pegasus does download music from free sites, that DIRECTLY affects the artist so i think its kinda rich to be espousing good morals and integrity when that person is ok with free downloading which doesnt support the artist but NOT ok when it comes to someone selling their unwanted tickets on Ebay.

I'm not committed on the down loading thing, old stuff is ok I guess, but I'd rather buy music personally.
    As for reselling unwanted tickets, well that's a different thing completely, and not at all what I get upset about....here's what I get upset about....
    QOTSA Announce tour dates, I can't get to a phone or a computer until around 4 hours after the tickets go on sale. You guessed it, they've sold out! But what's this...? Oh, here's about 500 of the fuckers on ebay straight away, for twice the original cost.
    Now, pray tell me if Josh Homme thinks I should pay £20 to see his band, why then should I suffer some opportunist who sneaks in as some sort of ghostly middle man and wants to charge me £40 ?...."20 for Josh, 20 for me" Is that right, is that to be applauded, to be accepted ????....
    Bastards the lot of em, not clever little business men operating in a 'free, open , market place' or however they like to describe themselves :(
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Wow, gotta love the generalizations!

Go get drunk at the pub, spill lager on your UB40, and then come home and forget to brush your teeth!

(FYI, I love the UK...been there 3 times in the last 5 years!)
    :)

Yeah I will thanks, you go eat some donuts, act like you own the place, and generally shout your mouth off like you are the most interesting person in the world :D You know the world? That place that exists beyond the sea....
    (fyi I have no probs with the US, I will visit one day...when I run out of interesting places to go :p )
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    I like the fact that if there is a band that comes around and I try my best, (ie. sign up for a fan club, get a presale password somehow, get on ticketbastard 5 minutes before the onsale, etc) but don't come up with anything but Nose Bleed Seats :-( I can change me experience at that concerts for a few bucks to a few hundred depending on the quality of the show.

I've personally paid $400 for a 4th row David Gilmour ticket, and $850 for my Zeppelin Floor ticket, and I must say that at the end of the night, I was thrilled to have been able to pay just that amount to have the expereince that I had. Does that make me a scumbag? because I love a band so much that I am willing to do/pay almost anything to experience them from the best vantage point?