Options

selling tickets on Ebay - thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Beetle19 wrote:
    Well, there WOULD BE possibilities to avoid this, by comparing e.g. IP-adress, Credit Cards etc... - of course, the 10 c is just a small "store" and probably wouldn't use such tools.

It just makes me mad to see such things happen and it's what I would do with this guy...

I know it was spread online for free and I don't blame anyone who found it and used it. And yes, people who buy a password are stupid too, but in a way I do understand them: They want to see PJ by all means, probably expected to get really good tickets and most likely thought, it would be easy with that password....
    well, if they're willing to drop $10 for a password, then maybe they should just drop another $10 and get a membership themselves which would have given them access to the password AND to the first pre-sale..
  • Options
    I know no body is forcing me to buy a ticket (just like no one is being forced to buy a ticket at mark-up on ebay), it doesn't mean I have to like the terms of the sale.
    you're not talking about not liking them, you're talking about not respecting them.

so I presume you scalp your 10c tickets too..
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Pegasus wrote:
    you're not talking about not liking them, you're talking about not respecting them.

that's rich coming from Europe's biggest user of "free" music download sites :D
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    that's rich coming from Europe's biggest user of "free" music download sites :D
    :confused:
    no idea what you're talking about.

only site I could remotely be considered Europe's biggest (and don't even think it's true) is Youkan, which is boots, so free yes, but allowed!
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    :confused:
    no idea what you're talking about.

only site I could remotely be considered Europe's biggest (and don't even think it's true) is Youkan, which is boots, so free yes, but allowed!

never illegally downloaded something Peg? hmmmmmm i smell porkies.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
    Honestly, if I actually attempted to guess how much of my money PJ has gotten over the years, I would probably combust. So what is the problem to buy some tickets or items to pay for you going to multiple shows? To pay for your Posters and Shirts and Zippos, etc?
    I think that it is obvious that a scalper is a scumbag, but blame the douche buying from a scalper, because if nobody bought from scalpers, the scalping would not be as lucritive as it is now because of fans like us paying whatever it takes...I have bought tickets for less than face from scalpers day-of-show, where they are worried to have a complete loss, and you can often deal them down.
    BOTTOM LINE- We can curl up and cry about these practices or we can adapt...IT'S EVOLUTION, BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    never illegally downloaded something Peg? hmmmmmm i smell porkies.
    I don't think I know many people that never but I'm about as far removed from 'Europe's biggest' as you could get :rolleyes:

and never paid for or made money out of something like that!
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    I don't think I know many people that never but I'm about as far removed from 'Europe's biggest' as you could get :rolleyes:

and never paid for or made money out of something like that!

jeebus woman... have you never heard of things called jokes.. or sarcasm? :rolleyes:

how on earth would i know you were Europes biggest?

i couldnt be that serious all the time... it'd hurt my head

so you think its ok to download music illegally, robbing the artist of income, robbing the company of sales... but not ok to sell on a ticket you have legitimately bought?

according to your sig i believe you need tickets to a show.. i hope you realise those tickets are non-transferable and shouldn't be re-sold... but you'll be face price i would think? good luck with that :)
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Those terms to me are just weasly contract items written by the promoter. I think a seller telling me what I can do with something once I hav paid for it is far more offensive than someone selling their tickets at a mark-up if people are willing to pay for them (and they are willing no one is forcing people to pay these prices).

Actually thats the law on the subject and its part of why resale is restricted, its not property, its a license. Just like your drivers license. Terms of use are restricted.

if it were property, than you would be free to sell it for whatever you want, kinda like posters, which are property.

You are in essence paying for the privilege to enter the arena and see the show. You have almost no other rights as far as that ticket goes.
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    Actually thats the law on the subject and its part of why resale is restricted, its not property, its a license. Just like your drivers license. Terms of use are restricted.

if it were property, than you would be free to sell it for whatever you want, kinda like posters, which are property.

You are in essence paying for the privilege to enter the arena and see the show. You have almost no other rights as far as that ticket goes.

lawyer speak aside... you pay for the piece of paper that gives you that privilege.

that piece of paper, that ticket... IS property.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    jeebus woman... have you never heard of things called jokes.. or sarcasm? :rolleyes:

how on earth would i know you were Europes biggest?

i couldnt be that serious all the time... it'd hurt my head

so you think its ok to download music illegally, robbing the artist of income, robbing the company of sales... but not ok to sell on a ticket you have legitimately bought?

according to your sig i believe you need tickets to a show.. i hope you realise those tickets are non-transferable and shouldn't be re-sold... but you'll be face price i would think? good luck with that :)
    I know you're pulling my leg..but not sure someone else would.

if I was trying to annoy people all the time I'd get a headache too :rolleyes:
  • Options
    EagleEarEagleEar Posts: 31
    PJ is in high demand. Brokers jack up the prices because people pay them. More power to 'em. If you are going to whine about it, go like a band that sucks. Brokers aren't flipping Journey tickets for 400 bucks. Or, get a better job. Or don't have kids. Buy a cheaper car. Live in a cheaper place. Make choices that allow you to pay what the market demands for PJ tickets.

Whatever you do, stop whining. If you were all my kids I'd slap you. Of course, I don't have kids, which means I can afford to buy scalped concert tickets.
    Got an army, fact I got two. That's ok man, cause I love money!
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    This is a bollocking fuck pants of an occupation, and I'll never stop telling of that.

MF'S scooping tickets for resale on EBAY is a cancer, every snotty little wanker with a computer thinks they're a clever sod now they but up tickets and resell them...it pisses me off to the point where by I could drive to their house and piss on their kids corn flakes.
    It's driving up the box office prices as we speak, it sure is.
    And also I find it just completely immorral, and opportunist, and to be frank...the occupation of cunts and wankers.
    Anyone who does it please send me your address, so I can come to your house and empty my bowells into your mothers ashes, and punch you square in the fucking eye!
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    Red_DotRed_Dot Posts: 1,454
    brianwp wrote:
    One guy selling his extra tix and making a few bucks = not so bad
    Scalper making a living off of screwing fans who can't get tix = scumbag

Well said!
    Take me for a ride before we leave...
  • Options
    EagleEar wrote:
    PJ is in high demand. Brokers jack up the prices because people pay them. More power to 'em. If you are going to whine about it, go like a band that sucks. Brokers aren't flipping Journey tickets for 400 bucks. Or, get a better job. Or don't have kids. Buy a cheaper car. Live in a cheaper place. Make choices that allow you to pay what the market demands for PJ tickets.

Whatever you do, stop whining. If you were all my kids I'd slap you. Of course, I don't have kids, which means I can afford to buy scalped concert tickets.

Here's an idea piss pants, how about you leave the tickets where thay are, and when people who want to see the band in question come along...they can simply buy them from the box office for the original price, and not from some squallid little go between, sheister, opportunisic, cowardly little twat who wants to make a quick buck ? Brokers, My arse!!
    Sound like a plan?
    Bring on the slap buddy.....please do, be my pleasure.
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:
    This is a bollocking fuck pants of an occupation, and I'll never stop telling of that.

MF'S scooping tickets for resale on EBAY is a cancer, every snotty little wanker with a computer thinks they're a clever sod now they but up tickets and resell them...it pisses me off to the point where by I could drive to their house and piss on their kids corn flakes.
    It's driving up the box office prices as we speak, it sure is.
    And also I find it just completely immorral, and opportunist, and to be frank...the occupation of cunts and wankers.
    Anyone who does it please send me your address, so I can come to your house and empty my bowells into your mothers ashes, and punch you square in the fucking eye!
    way to go Jamie! :D
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    I know you're pulling my leg..but not sure someone else would.

if I was trying to annoy people all the time I'd get a headache too :rolleyes:

you missed my other ponts

according to your sig i believe you need tickets to a show.. i hope you realise those tickets are non-transferable and shouldn't be re-sold...
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:
    Here's an idea piss pants, how about you leave the tickets where thay are, and when people who want to see the band in question come along...they can simply buy them from the box office for the original price, and not from some squallid little go between, sheister, opportunisic, cowardly little twat who wants to make a quick buck ? Brokers, My arse!!
    Sound like a plan?
    Bring on the slap buddy.....please do, be my pleasure.

Nope, no dice. Quit whining.

Cowardly is hiding behind a computer and slinging insults.

It's supply and demand. The free markey economy is a wonderful device.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    you missed my other ponts

according to your sig i believe you need tickets to a show.. i hope you realise those tickets are non-transferable and shouldn't be re-sold...

How can you relate down loading music to re-selling tickets sir? fair enough resell a ticket for a legit reason, but surely you get how much of a problem this bull shit is becoming?
    File sharing...well, that's another debate, but these low lifes who hang around the ticket sites with their computers, waiting for 'on sales' then extort money, as some sort of glorified ticket agent...well, fuck me! It stinks! And you should all realise this, and wake up.
    Let's be honest, these arseholes haven't got the knackers to be a proper ticket 'tout' or 'scalper', hang around a venue, take their chances.......they're taking the easy option, and it's becoming a problem cos it's too easy, and there's too many of them.
    I'll personally kick everyone of them in the nuts if I get the opportunity.
  • Options
    EagleEar wrote:
    Nope, no dice. Quit whining.

Cowardly is hiding behind a computer and slinging insults.

It's supply and demand. The free markey economy is a wonderful device.

No, it aint supply and demand, it's opportunism of the lowest kind. And I'll sling all the insults you want, I put my name to them all. What's cowardly is maybe being here without even the jacobs to light up your little green dot.

It's fuck all to do with the free economy, are you a simpleton? It's an illegal practice, it's the black market for Roberts sake!
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:
    No, it aint supply and demand, it's opportunism of the lowest kind. And I'll sling all the insults you want, I put my name to them all. What's cowardly is maybe being here without even the jacobs to light up your little green dot.

It's fuck all to do with the free economy, are you a simpleton? It's an illegal practice, it's the black market for Roberts sake!

I've often wondered why that dot is red. What does it mean? I don't see anyone else with one.
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:

I've often wondered why that dot is red. What does it mean? I don't see anyone else with one.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,448
    lots of good points here. scalpers are scumbags.

i have this guy that i know. he created a facebook group called "vancouver concert addicts". he goes to a lot of shows. as do i. now he is straight up advertising that he has become a scalper. he bought 10 tickets to oasis and has them all up for sale on this concert addict group. thats not what the group was/is about. should i tell him to get a life?

i think we are all getting the short end of the stick when brokers and scalpers raise the market value. its such a race for tickets, we lose sight of things.

Not to sound like an econ textbook, but if there is such a big profit margin for scalpers, it means that the face value of the tickets is too low. (and no, I would not advocate a shop keeper gouging people for water after a disaster, so keep that comparison to yourself!)
    :)

In many cases, you can get tickets from scalpers for much less then face value if they have overspeculated. As long as you only do this for sold-out shows, you win, the band has won (since the show is sold-out already) and the scalper loses!
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:

Sweet, my dot is green now. Thanks for the heads up.

I don't think you can debate that it's supply and demand. If there were no demand, the scalpers would have no motivation to act.

I would suggest you change your light to RED, since you're talking like a communist.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Not to sound like an econ textbook, but if there is such a big profit margin for scalpers, it means that the face value of the tickets is too low. (and no, I would not advocate a shop keeper gouging people for water after a disaster, so keep that comparison to yourself!)

In many cases, you can get tickets from scalpers for much less then face value if they have overspeculated. As long as you only do this for sold-out shows, you win, the band has won (since the show is sold-out already) and the scalper loses!

Ahhh some logic. Good points Joe.
  • Options
    EagleEar wrote:
    Ahhh some logic. Good points Joe.

Thanks, I am cursed with an overactive sense of logic!
  • Options
    EagleEar wrote:
    Sweet, my dot is green now. Thanks for the heads up.

I don't think you can debate that it's supply and demand. If there were no demand, the scalpers would have no motivation to act.

I would suggest you change your light to RED, since you're talking like a communist.

That's such bull crap, what is it with you guys and the communism thing? Grow up.
    I'm all for trade, but this shit we're talking about isn't trade, it's extortion, it's racketeering, it's dishonest, it's theft...from buyer, from artist, from government......I can't blow about this any longer, you either act like a conciencious grown up, or you continue with the childish, naive train of thought you've been following.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Oh god, you folks are full of idiotic ideas, and you slap each other on the back for it....no fucking wonder George W invaded Iraq...I despair at the intense lack of humanity that is sometimes shown by you folks, I really do...please, I will leave this thread now for fear of hearing anymore of your self indulgent, over blown cock shite.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Thanks, I am cursed with an overactive sense of logic!

No, you're cursed with something else :) You so are.
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:
    Oh god, you folks are full of idiotic ideas, and you slap each other on the back for it....no fucking wonder George W invaded Iraq...I despair at the intense lack of humanity that is sometimes shown by you folks, I really do...please, I will leave this thread now for fear of hearing anymore of your self indulgent, over blown cock shite.

Wow, gotta love the generalizations!

Go get drunk at the pub, spill lager on your UB40, and then come home and forget to brush your teeth!

(FYI, I love the UK...been there 3 times in the last 5 years!)