Glastonbury headliners announced - PJ NOT one of them

dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
edited February 2008 in The Porch
ahh well... i was hoping maybe we'd get on or two festival appearances over here also.. but Glasto NOT one of them

headliners are Kings of Leon (awesomeness) Jay-Z (shit rapper) and The Verve (in it for the money has-beens)

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/news.aspx?id=1905
oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    dunkman wrote:
    ahh well... i was hoping maybe we'd get on or two festival appearances over here also.. but Glasto NOT one of them

headliners are Kings of Leon (awesomeness) Jay-Z (shit rapper) and The Verve (in it for the money has-beens)

I reckon we've had our fill for the forseeable future...but we had a good run :D
    I need a coffee!
  • Nevermind.. I think KOL will be a decent consellation prize ;)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • 4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,227
    jay-z shit rapper? He is actually one of the best, especially live.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    4Powers20 wrote:
    jay-z shit rapper? He is actually one of the best, especially live.

thats your opinion amigo.. and 'shit rapper' was mine... :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    europe aint getting arse this year
  • dunkman wrote:
    thats your opinion amigo.. and 'shit rapper' was mine... :)

I don't know much about your opinion of rap Dunk, but what I read was 'shit (because he is a) rapper' ;)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• NY PJ1 wrote:
    europe aint getting arse this year

This is why I've not really bothered with the Porch much lately.

If Pearl Jam DID go to Glastonbury though, I might consider going. Glastonbury looks so boring to me.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    If PJ did play Glasto...it's not as if of us could get a feckin' ticket anyway!
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • This is why I've not really bothered with the Porch much lately.

If Pearl Jam DID go to Glastonbury though, I might consider going. Glastonbury looks so boring to me.

And if the portaloos are as bad as Reading... I only went to see PJ, wouldn't have done it for anyone else. ;)

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    The line-up this year is pretty dreadful.... not worth spending £125 on a ticket. Though the 'experience' of Glastonbury is something....
  • And if the portaloos are as bad as Reading... I only went to see PJ, wouldn't have done it for anyone else. ;)

I'm not worried about the toilets. It just looks boring and dismal most of the time.

Reading looks okay! I wanted to go back in '95. ...ahhh '95 when a mars bar only cost 10p and music MEANT something. ;)
  • ChazzChazz Posts: 1,135
    audiodave wrote:
    If PJ did play Glasto...it's not as if of us could get a feckin' ticket anyway!

True - its usually full of corporate middle class types pretending to be hippies for the weekend.....I'm kinda glad they're not playing cos its about 20 miles down the road from me and I'd be pretty pissed off if I couldn't get tickets to that gig (backward thinking I know :o )
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • True - its usually full of corporate middle class types pretending to be hippies for the weekend.....I'm kinda glad they're not playing cos its about 20 miles down the road from me and I'd be pretty pissed off if I could'nt get tickets to that gig (backward thinking I know :o )

HAHA. That's what I always thought! Glad to know there's someone else here that reads too much into things. :)
    I don't know much about your opinion of rap Dunk, but what I read was 'shit (because he is a) rapper' ;)

absolutely... i dont mind some rap tyoonz (see what i did there Boi ;) ) but as a headliner for Glastonbury?!??!

cue 80000 white accountants looking blankly at the stage and mumbling to each other... 'fo shizzle? maybe he said 'faux drizzle'

and The Verve? hmmmmm poor poor line up (KOL being the obvious exeption) :)
    ...ahhh '95 when a mars bar only cost 10p and music MEANT something. ;)

fuck music... Mars Bars at 10p ... thats what i remember.. i also remember Wham bars for 5p and they were pink and had yellow crystals in them and 1 bite left you toothless :) yumsters :)
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    dunkman wrote:
    fuck music... Mars Bars at 10p ... thats what i remember.. i also remember Wham bars for 5p and they were pink and had yellow crystals in them and 1 bite left you toothless :) yumsters :)

Wham bars were yum ... they had other colour crystals as well didn't they? You can still buy them but they are about a quarter of the size ... or may be I've grown :p ... but not much :o
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Chime wrote:
    Wham bars were yum ... they had other colour crystals as well didn't they? You can still buy them but they are about a quarter of the size ... or may be I've grown :p ... but not much :o
    I was going to say...you can't be four times bigger than you were as a child!

:eek:

:p
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • dunkman wrote:

I got one of those stuck to my pillow when I was younger. For some reason I hid it under my pillow AFTER I'd eaten half of it. (That was when I was about 26) ;)

Anyway, carry on...
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,060
    glasto was the dogs bollacks ten years ago...

sadly now you tend to see countless 'hoorays' with that 'oh look at me being so silly in my pink wellys, what would the stock exchange say if they saw me being soooooo wild' .......

For that reason alone and its corporateness I now longer bother, 7 good years was worth it, sadly when you start getting rappers and Emily eavis involved its time to move on......

REM at the royal albert anyone??
  • dunkman wrote:
    i also remember Wham bars for 5p and they were pink and had yellow crystals in them and 1 bite left you toothless :) yumsters :)

haha :D wham bars should carry the same health warning as toblerones, perhaps "Injury Is Inevitable - Proceed With Caution" or something to that effect.......:)
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • dunkman wrote:

er.....no.

Jay-Z is a fantastic rapper and the Verve are one of the best bands ever. I don't think they need the money either, frankly. Kings of Leon are completely overrated.
  • Jay Z is a bad choice......of hip hop at least......

The Roots would have been much more preferable if you have to have Hip Hop headlining Glasto (still seems an odd combo).....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Those are some weak headliners. I'm glad we got Bonnaroo!
  • Jay Z is worth the 125 bucks alone...Let alone King of Leon headlining as well? Wow. Jay Z is the greatest rapper thats ever lived, gotta give him some respect. Take a look at his hits and maybe youll realize what this guy has done for the hip hop community. Its a fact that he is an icon, whether or not you like him is your opinion, gotta give him respect though.
    5/24/06 - Boston
    5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08 - Mansfield
    6/30/08 - Mansfield
    8/2/08 - Eddie in Boston (FRONT ROW!)
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,278
    dunkman wrote:

who would want to go when a bloody rapper is there and a band what has finished the verve.
    danny d
  • dunkman wrote:

I agree the lineup is below par at best, apart from KOL and Neil Diamond
    I don't think i'll go this year, probably go to reading as Rage is meant to be playing
    26/02/1998 Wellington, 09/09/2006 Marseille, 16/09/2006 Verona
    23/09/2006 Berlin, 30/09/2006 Athens, 18/07/2007 London
    02/07/2009 Honolulu (EV Solo), 22/11/2009, Sydney, 29/11/2009 Christchurch
  • I like KOL as much as a lot of you do but they are not a headliner. Neither is the Verve.

Jay Z whether you like them or not would headline any festival or concert he played.

And someone said the Roots should headline instead of JayZ if they were doing hip hop.

I went to Rock the Bells and Coachella in 2007 and the Roots were a mid day band at both shows. Definitely not headliner material.

People have to realize that headliners are supposed to move tickets not satisfy the internet music community.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
    beth_w wrote:
    er.....no.

Jay-Z is a fantastic rapper and the Verve are one of the best bands ever. I don't think they need the money either, frankly. Kings of Leon are completely overrated.

thats your opinion.. its a wrong one but its still yours :)
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I'm not worried about the toilets. It just looks boring and dismal most of the time.

Reading looks okay! I wanted to go back in '95. ...ahhh '95 when a mars bar only cost 10p and music MEANT something. ;)

The toilets are always awful at British festivals, and after attending day 2 of Festimad last year, in Spain, the toilets were impeccable, I'm starting to realise it's us, we're animals.
    BTW, Mars bars were not 10p in 1995, no way, not having that, more like 20 or 25p.

Glasonbury, as Robert Plant put it last year, has become "the hit parade in a field".
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,300
    how is he considered a ..

musician ,.... does he come on stage with an acoustic and rapp or a piano or gibson electric .....?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....