Options

Pearl Jam Plans To Let New Songs 'Grow Up' (Billboard.com) Bonnaroo, bootlegs, etc!!!

Comments

• Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,097
    Well if he means 'poppy' like Down or Undone, I could get behind a few songs like that :)
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    Evolution6579Evolution6579 Posts: 624
    I still think we are gonna get DVD bootlegs, similar to what the Who did.
    McCready also said that Pearl Jam plans to continue making live recordings available to fans from its upcoming tour -- which starts June 11 in West Palm Beach, Fla. -- but isn't sure what form that will take yet.

And poppy will be okay. They have Brendan O'Brien at the board. This album is gonna be fantastic!
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    yeah, I am not too sure about that "poppy" part...I hope it's more "harder stuff" than "poopy" oops, I meant "poppy".
    yeah, I don't need an album-full of Parachutes...I'm feeling sick just at the thought of it :(
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    WOW...:0

hehehahaheheha...Mike said poppy
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    Thank you so much Mike, bootlegs are coming!!! This are blessing news!
    And about the 200 songs waiting, I didnt expect less than that. Bring it on!!!
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,021
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    given2fly7given2fly7 Posts: 13
    digster wrote:
    Funny they should say that PJ is known for debuting songs live in front of an audience before laying it down on an album; I've always seen them as a band that did not do that. We've seen a song here and there, but they've been two or three at most. Two or three Riot Act songs (including those played solely by Ed), no Binaural, the few Yield songs at the Stones concert, Habit...I think you'd have to go all the way back to Vitalogy to find an album that was roadtested before released. Certainly the band has not done something like R.E.M. and Radiohead have done in recent memory.

Didn't they debut Thin Air & NAIS at Bridge School? And Gone was debuted live by Ed. So we have gotten to hear atleast one new song live before the album came out. I think they were referring to how the past few albums, PJ has debuted (mostly Ed) raw versions of songs before fleshing them out for the album, and that Mike says that none of the new songs are even that far along yet.

But at this point, they have so many songs to pull from, they don't really need to experiment or try new stuff out. While I enjoy hearing new songs live, I'd rather buy the new album having heard none of it before.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Pegasus wrote:
    yeah, I don't need an album-full of Parachutes...I'm feeling sick just at the thought of it :(
    Hmmm, I don't consider "Parachutes" to be very poppy at all. I was thinking more along the lines of "Unemployable"
    NERDS!
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,336
    Firecloud wrote:
    Jack White onstage with Pearl Jam barely even computes for me, the implications are so goddamned awesome. Picture Porch, for instance...imagine Eddie singing the first verse and Jack singing the second, or Jack singing the "I know someday you'll have a beautiful life" part in Black. Chances are they'd do something like Rockin in the Free World though.

Black? - NO NO NO!!!

Jack White, in case you gus haven't noticed, is NOT a good live singer! Yes he's a great guitarist and a good showman, but his singing borders on awful live. He shouldn't be allowed to go anywhere near any PJ songs. I hope they do something together, but I'd rather it was a cover.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    given2fly7given2fly7 Posts: 13
    goldrush wrote:
    Black? - NO NO NO!!!

Jack White, in case you gus haven't noticed, is NOT a good live singer! Yes he's a great guitarist and a good showman, but his singing borders on awful live. He shouldn't be allowed to go anywhere near any PJ songs. I hope they do something together, but I'd rather it was a cover.

I couldn't agree with you more. I was so excited when I downloaded a bootleg b/c I wanted to hear his live guitar playing, but the vocals were so bad, I ended up not even listening to it.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Poppy? i wonder if he means poppy as in "WWS, Marker In the Sand" poppy.. because that was as close to poppy as i ever heard pj come..

Oh and Mike rules ... he should be the official spokes person for the band :D
    He plays it so smooth. Its just like .. "yeah... we are doin this this and this. Bam, McCready out , YO"

Poppy as PJ has ever come = Better Man
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Great news.
    Thanks for sharing this !

The only thing missing would be : "yeah, we also plan to come over to Europe once again, and visit amazing cities & people like in France for example; october is the target"

Just a nice dream, guys...
    :)
    Still waiting for a gig in Paris (in a venue not a festival) since 2006...
    Spin, spin !!

Marseille + Paris 2006
    London + Werchter 2007
    Arras + Belfast 2010
    Arras 2012
    Paris Lollapalooza 2022
  • Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    Jack White is the shit...I'd love to see him playing w/PJ.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    I beleive the Jeff once said that Letter to the Dead/Sad was what they considered a "Pop" like song. So I will take more of those if they consider that pop.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Best thread in a long, long time. Thanks to the OP!!!
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    yeah, I am not too sure about that "poppy" part...

are you a trying to a kill a poppy??
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    Awesome news on J.White and boots! Woo-hooh!
    My lips are shaking.......
  • Options
    This will be my first PJ show I have ever seen live. I'm so excited that I get to see 2 of my favorite bands in one spot(PJ and Metallica), I get to buy a boot from both bands, a get the additional DVD from Bonnaroo, and the PJ may play some rare stuff. Not too shabby for a first PJ and Metallica live experience.
    My first PJ show to witness was at Bonnaroo. How is that for lucky?
  • Options
    Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    I've always considered Down and Sad to be the most poppy songs in PJ's catalogue....and I likey both of those a lot

and THANK GOD it sounds like boots will be back. Now if we could just get official word on the McRib

Great article, now I'm even more anxious than before about what they will pull out of their hats at Bonnaroo!
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    Matt Cameron is quickly becoming today's "Charlie Watts" with his upcoming Jazz set! This pleases me.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Jack White playing with PJ...OH MY GOD

almost worth the ticket alone... i may have to rethink my stance on goign to the roo!
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    I'd love to see Jack White onstage with Pearl Jam. Now if they could just figure out a way to tour the South with a couple shows in North Carolina with the White Stripes opening I'd die a happy man... :)
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    Hmmm, I don't consider "Parachutes" to be very poppy at all. I was thinking more along the lines of "Unemployable"

Parachutes is the furthest thing from a "poppy" song...for instatnce, I believe Mike is referring to songs like, Gone, WWS, and maybe even Marker, to name a few from Avacado...

This is great news!!! Can't wait for 'Roo!!!!!
  • Options
    scpjfanscpjfan Posts: 131
    Blind3 wrote:
    Thank you for posting the excellent article. Hope the PJ - Jack White collaboration comes to pass. Speaking of Matt, Harrybu McCage kicks ass. Definitely going to check out the New Orleans Jazz stage.

Yes, this is way more information than the 10C has given us lately.
    Hail, hail the lucky ones, I refer to those in love.
  • Options
    firecrotch23firecrotch23 Posts: 586
    awesome! thats all i got :)
    Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Nice to see the Jack White love :)

and am I the only one who thought "Grow Up" was a new song and they were going to play it at Bonnaroo? :o
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    scpjfan wrote:
    Yes, this is way more information than the 10C has given us lately.

Look, as Kat wrote yesterday there just aren't any news... :rolleyes: :p
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    FatalFatal Posts: 821
    Parachutes is the furthest thing from a "poppy" song...for instatnce, I believe Mike is referring to songs like, Gone, WWS, and maybe even Marker, to name a few from Avacado...

When i think of PJ pop, i think of Undone, Unemployable and Sad...
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754

:confused:
    Parachutes is a complete Beatles rip-off and the Beatles pretty much created Pop!
  • Options
    prince119prince119 Posts: 104
    I know that it is a matter of opinion, but I think Jack White is part of EVERYTHING that is wrong with music at the moment.

Maybe a night with the best band in the world will shake him a bit.