Options

Pearl Jam Plans To Let New Songs 'Grow Up' (Billboard.com) Bonnaroo, bootlegs, etc!!!

wickedmonkeyzwickedmonkeyz Posts: 489
edited May 2008 in The Porch
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003804310

Pearl Jam Plans To Let New Songs 'Grow Up'

Gary Graff, Detroit

Pearl Jam has gotten a start on its next album, but it's still in "its very infant stages" according to guitarist Mike McCready.

"We've had one session of writing and it has yielded ... about five ideas so far," McCready told Billboard.com during a conference call with reporters about this year's Bonnaroo Music Festival, which Pearl Jam will headline on June 14. "Some of it's kind of poppy and some of it's a little hard. We want it to grow up a little bit. We have to revisit it a few times."

Pearl Jam is working on the album, the follow-up to 2006's "Pearl Jam," with longtime associate Brendan O'Brien. And though the band is known for previewing new and unrecorded material at its shows, McCready says that's unlikely to happen on Pearl Jam's upcoming North American tour.

"We might get into some sort of jam," the guitarist said. "We have about 200 songs to pull from, so we'll do that and maybe do some obscure B-sides. For new stuff, I don't know if we have it refined enough to want to play it in front of an audience yet. We don't want to hack in front of everybody."

Nevertheless, McCready said Pearl Jam is looking forward to its first visit to Bonnaroo, where drummer Matt Cameron will also be performing a jazz set. "I think it's a perfect fit," McCready said. "We try to keep everything as in-house and small and as punk rock and do-it-yourself as we can. That's part of our way of doing business. That fits right in with how Bonnaroo is doing theirs."

As for jamming with other acts at the festival, McCready said that "if we run into somebody, 'Hey, you want to come up and jam?,' that's kind of how our band works." But he's hoping to run into one person in particular.

"I'd love to have Jack White up," McCready said. "I think he's just a phenomenal guitar player. I'd love to see him play up close ... because he's got a killer voice and he's a great lead player, too. That would be exciting to me."

McCready also said that Pearl Jam plans to continue making live recordings available to fans from its upcoming tour -- which starts June 11 in West Palm Beach, Fla. -- but isn't sure what form that will take yet.
looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,599
    Jack White playing with PJ...OH MY GOD
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    Shit man, that's a nice fucking article
  • Options
    it's nice to hear them comment on the bootlegs for sure

BUT, Matt's playing a solo Jazz set at Bonnaroo!

and Mike just publicly invited Jack White to jam on stage :D

26 days to go!

***GOT EM***
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    nice!! thanks for posting that...
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    that is awesome. now we KNOW we're gonna get some rare shit this tour! and bootlegs! and the new album is really making progress! i could care less if we don't hear new songs yet. mike has a point.

the one litttle thing that makes me scratch my head .. is that some songs are pretty poppy?

but besides that, i think this is all great info! mike your the man! the tour is getting closer and closer my friends!
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    ishitistinkishitistink Posts: 94
    great news.....thanks for posting
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    this is good stuff all around.

on a side note, Mike is pretty much the unofficial spokesperson for the band at this point.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    jack white with pearl jam :p
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Matt playing a solo jazz set?

That is why matt is PJ's best drummer. I always knew he plays jazz, but id love to see that! too bad im not goin to 'roo

bootlegs? hell yea!
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Thank you for posting the excellent article. Hope the PJ - Jack White collaboration comes to pass. Speaking of Matt, Harrybu McCage kicks ass. Definitely going to check out the New Orleans Jazz stage.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    AAAHHHHHH

I'm happy

Looks like 10c sent Mike out to do their job ;) Kidding... Can't wait for those obscure B-Sides!
  • Options
    Strangest Tirbe at Bonnaroo please!

also, regarding Matt's set at bonnaroo...in years past they have had a dedicated Jazz tent, though no word yet for this year...last year from what I remember it was actually a mini Jazz club with table service and all, including air conditioning...I missed the one set I wanted to see last year, Nels Cline from Wilco, and still regret missing that somehow

the actual schedule with set times and all that jazz should be out by the last week of may...if Matt is playing friday or sunday than we can assume the band will be around all weekend to hang out at the festival

also to note...so obviously they knew everyone was curious about the bootlegs coming for the tour...clearly they are releasing the shows (hopefully each night) but they are still unsure of how their releasing them... I wonder if they are considering going back to actual cd's, which I think most have wanted for the last few years...maybe this explains the lack of info regarding the boots

***GOT EM***
  • Options
    butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    Very very cool.
  • Options
    from the updated bonnaroo artist page...

http://bonnaroo.com/news/2008/05/Artists/harrybu-mccage.aspx

Harrybu McCage

Being the only act not hailing from New Orleans to grace the “Somethin’ Else New Orleans” stage is not lost on Harrybu McCage drummer and Seattleite Matt Cameron, who knows a thing or two about playing in a musically competitive city.

“It’s an absolute honor to be playing on the same stage with such amazing musicians who are the best of what they do. New Orleans musicians have always been held to higher standards,” said the Pearl Jam drummer. “It’s where the beat comes from.”

Harrybu McCage is the jazz project Cameron formed with keyboardist Ryan Burns and bassist Geoff Harper (Herbie Hancock, Bill Frisell). The trio will perform original and Thelonious Monk inspired jazz all the while doing the roots of traditional New Orleans music proud.

***GOT EM***
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    Funny they should say that PJ is known for debuting songs live in front of an audience before laying it down on an album; I've always seen them as a band that did not do that. We've seen a song here and there, but they've been two or three at most. Two or three Riot Act songs (including those played solely by Ed), no Binaural, the few Yield songs at the Stones concert, Habit...I think you'd have to go all the way back to Vitalogy to find an album that was roadtested before released. Certainly the band has not done something like R.E.M. and Radiohead have done in recent memory.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    this is good stuff all around.

on a side note, Mike is pretty much the unofficial spokesperson for the band at this point.

Isn't he? I just showed this to my wife and said, "If you want to know what is going on with Pearl Jam, just ask Mike McCready." Hahaha.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
    I wonder what they consider rare songs, it probably isnt the same as what we consider, cause I cant see them giving in to our games of begging for hold on, undone, education, NO WAY, WHO YOU ARE, NAIS...they very rarely appease the crowd.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 233
    Here's to hoping Breath is one of the rare ones they play in DC. And great news that we will be able to get boots in some form.
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimote; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY
  • Options
    VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    This kind of feels like pre-Avocado days. Little tidbits Mike would throw out, a small tour in between recording.
    "some Poppy, some harder stuff".
    I hope this album is very upbeat, hard driven
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    Evolution6579Evolution6579 Posts: 624
    This has me SOOOO amped!

The funny thing is: I read this article earlier and didn't notice the part about the bootlegs.

If they are DVD bootlegs.....
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    FirecloudFirecloud Posts: 516
    Jack White onstage with Pearl Jam barely even computes for me, the implications are so goddamned awesome. Picture Porch, for instance...imagine Eddie singing the first verse and Jack singing the second, or Jack singing the "I know someday you'll have a beautiful life" part in Black. Chances are they'd do something like Rockin in the Free World though.
  • Options
    lephtylephty Posts: 770
    i think i just had a JOYGASM!
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Firecloud wrote:
    Jack White onstage with Pearl Jam barely even computes for me, the implications are so goddamned awesome. Picture Porch, for instance...imagine Eddie singing the first verse and Jack singing the second, or Jack singing the "I know someday you'll have a beautiful life" part in Black. Chances are they'd do something like Rockin in the Free World though.

I'm thinking Watchtower. Anyway, it'd be insane!
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    Music For RhinosMusic For Rhinos Posts: 1,693
    This is great news, but...

Hard and poppy?

That's not quite what I was hoping for. That's what Avocado was.
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    This is great news, but...

Hard and poppy?

That's not quite what I was hoping for. That's what Avocado was.

It's only a few song ideas in their infant stages...maybe they'll evolve a bit.

What exactly are you hoping for? Just asking.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    lephtylephty Posts: 770
    with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 songs, i really loved avocado. i don't understand the hate for it. i think it blows binaural and riot act away. if the new album is anything like the latest, i will be more than happy. of course some experimenting with new sounds and stuff would be good too.

i guess to each their own.
  • Options
    Music For RhinosMusic For Rhinos Posts: 1,693
    citizen and lephty,

i like avocado. just don't want to see a repeat. they have always changed it up with each new album.

i am hoping for something different, something new with the next one. hard and poppy just doesn't sound appealing.
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Poppy? i wonder if he means poppy as in "WWS, Marker In the Sand" poppy.. because that was as close to poppy as i ever heard pj come..

Oh and Mike rules ... he should be the official spokes person for the band :D
    He plays it so smooth. Its just like .. "yeah... we are doin this this and this. Bam, McCready out , YO"
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    citizen and lephty,

i like avocado. just don't want to see a repeat. they have always changed it up with each new album.

i am hoping for something different, something new with the next one. hard and poppy just doesn't sound appealing.

I got you. I too would like them to get a expieirimental myself...but along with that I'd like a few straight ahead rockers also.

I like when they give the rollercoaster ride type albums.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    This is great news. The pop thing kinda worries me, but maybe by 'growing up' Mike means that the pop songs will evolve into none-pop songs. Meh, we can only hope.

But the bootlegs will be here!!!! Amazing news. :D
    What the fuck is this world?