Options

Mad Season or Temple Of The Dog?

glorified G is hereglorified G is here Posts: 419
edited October 2008 in Other Music
Two very different albums. Which album is "better"? No doubt both are good, but I think Layne's vocals never sounded better and Mike's playing guitar was such a unique sound and created intense feelings. What do you all think?
7/28/1992 Lollapalooza Cincinnati, 9/22/1996 Toledo, 8/20/2000 Cincinnati, 6/24/2006 Cincinnati, 8/5/2007 Lollapalooza Chicago @ Grant Park, EV solo 8/21/2008 Chicago @ Auditorium Theater
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    NewDamageNewDamage Posts: 1,913
    gregory1 wrote:
    Two very different albums. Which album is "better"? No doubt both are good, but I think Layne's vocals never sounded better and Mike's playing guitar was such a unique sound and created intense feelings. What do you all think?
    I'd also argue Cornell never sounded better than on TOTD, plus you've got Stone, Jeff, and Matt. As much as I love Mad Season, TOTD is the better of the two for me
    I am lost, I'm no guide. But I'm by your side...

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • Options
    PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 California Posts: 594
    I much prefer Temple of the Dog. Chris Cornell is at his best here.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Options
    suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    oh god, this is hard....

TOTD for me, but just by a nose hair.
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
  • Options
    suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    gregory1 wrote:

btw, mad season's album is called "above".

hope you're not talking of matchbox 20's album "mad season". :eek:
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
  • Options
    mensanemensane Posts: 912
    EASY...

Mad Season.

One of the best albums by ANY band of all time.
  • Options
    catch22catch22 Posts: 1,081
    I much prefer Temple of the Dog. Chris Cornell is at his best here.

but cornell at his best still doesn't hold a candle to staley at his most mediocre ;)

mad season by a landslide.
    and like that... he's gone.
  • Options
    GivenToJam88GivenToJam88 NJ Posts: 1,187
    i like temple of the dog more but mad season is also damn good
    2006: 5/28
    2008: 6/19, 6/24, 6/25
    2009: 6/14 (EV), 10/27, 10/28
    2010: 5/17
    2011: 6/21 (EV), 6/22 (EV), 9/11, 9/12
    2012: 9/2
    2013: 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/21, 10/22, 10/27, 11/23, 11/24
    2014: 10/19
    2016: 5/1, 5/2, 5/8
    2018: 8/20, 9/2, 9/4
  • Options
    no matter how great cornell sounded on totd, 'above' is by far the better album.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    Mad Season's Above is so different than anything else that a Seattle collaboration generated. It's mellow at times, it's intense at times and both guitar by Mike and Layne's vocals are hauntingly brilliant. A one of a kind album, and one of all time favorites! TOTD rocks too, but in an expected way with who was invlolved, whereas Mad Season's Above stands alone on unbridled intensity!
    7/28/1992 Lollapalooza Cincinnati, 9/22/1996 Toledo, 8/20/2000 Cincinnati, 6/24/2006 Cincinnati, 8/5/2007 Lollapalooza Chicago @ Grant Park, EV solo 8/21/2008 Chicago @ Auditorium Theater
  • Options
    Love them both and would have to choose between them, but if a gun was held to me - TOTD would be the one I'd hold onto.
  • Options
    wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    I'm gonna say Mad Season. There are a couple of songs on TOTD that I rountinely skip, but there's not one tune on Mad Season that I skip. Plus, I think (IMHO) that Mad Season has a 'broader' sound than TOTD, which is more narrowly 'grunge'. Plus, Mark Lanegan singing on a couple of songs can only help you...
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • Options
    Mad Season wins pretty easily for me.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    gregory1 wrote:
    Can't choose which is better. Absolutely love Temple of the dog but the guitarist in me has to say i don't think anything is as good as mikes tone on the mad season's only album. Easily his best tone ever. It's your classic standard strat sound, very, very SRV like. Definitely hear the influence there and the effects on that album were brilliant.

Listen to the cleans on 'river of deceit', it is just absolutely beautiful and the overdriven tone on 'i don't know anything', gives me shivers.
  • Options
    Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    Mad Season by a whisker biscut.
  • Options
    Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329
    Mad Season.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,278
    Temple by a country mile. Cornell is at his best, the rest of PJ are all on there, there are no bad songs.

"Above" was a bit hit-and-miss for me to be honest. I really like it but I don't think it comes close to Temple
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    mike is on fire on 'above', but some songs the lyrics are just a bit crap, and that kills it a bit for me. dont get me wrong, some of the lyrics are amazing, but some are just so simple they bug me...

as for TOTD, lyrics are amazing, music is brilliant, but not as brilliant as on Mad Season....

hmmm.

at the moment i listen to mad season more than TOTD, so i guess mad season wins by a bit... only cause of mikes guitar work tho... oh and lanegan...
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • Options
    Mad Season by a land slide. That record is crazy good. Temple of the dog was ok but not great
    Tour with fucking NOFX
  • Options
    ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    this is a though question ..i would say you can t compare them ..
    see
    TOTD would not existed if Wood never died....
    i love it sooooooooo much
    but in the same i like mad season ...
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I like Mad Season but I would go with TOTD easily.

Anyone ever wonder how these two albums have two of mike's best extended solo's and nowhere on any pearl jam album have they ever let him jam like this? (november hotel & reach down)

Complete Bullshit. Unleash Mike on the next album.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    I like Mad Season but I would go with TOTD easily.

Anyone ever wonder how these two albums have two of mike's best extended solo's and nowhere on any pearl jam album have they ever let him jam like this? (november hotel & reach down)

Complete Bullshit. Unleash Mike on the next album.

I agree! what Mike does on non-PJ albums deserves to be incorporated into the band. Unless mike holds back some unique styles. Across the boards, what Mike brings to songs is emotion!
  • Options
    shermsherm Seattle, Wa Posts: 708
    Layne, enough said.
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18 
  • Options
    All I can say is November Hotel, Mike is on fire here like no other song.

Mad Season all the way.
  • Options
    This thread made me go out and re-purchase Mad Season. I haven't had that disc in forever. I ran right down to the store on lunch and bought it.
  • Options
    This thread made me go out and re-purchase Mad Season. I haven't had that disc in forever. I ran right down to the store on lunch and bought it.
    Good deal! I'm fortunate enough to play it on vinyl when in the mood! It is an album that sounds better on a turntable. The bass is sooo deep, and the rest is mesmorizing!
  • Options
    gregory1 wrote:
    Good deal! I'm fortunate enough to play it on vinyl when in the mood! It is an album that sounds better on a turntable. The bass is sooo deep, and the rest is mesmorizing!

Lucky bastard. They were one of the bands that was responsible for changing me from a rap fan to rock. I remember when I saw "Live at the Moore" for the first time. I was floored. Awesome.
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I love TOTD but I have to go with Above for these 3 reasons

1. Layne and Mike is an insane combo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2. November Hotel
    3. Layne, Lanegan, Long Gone Day and a saxophone = Absolute beauty
  • Options
    I love them both an awful lot but TOTD. Juuuuuuust.
  • Options
    Grunge100Grunge100 Posts: 178
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    I love TOTD but I have to go with Above for these 3 reasons

1. Layne and Mike is an insane combo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2. November Hotel
    3. Layne, Lanegan, Long Gone Day and a saxophone = Absolute beauty

+1. Layne's voice is godlike.
    Light green to green, dark green, brown..
    Every life is falling down
    Brown to black, it's coming back
    Dies to be part of the ground
    Seed to seedling, root to stem
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I know I have asked this before but if anyone could hook me up, or know where I can find the Live at the Moore dvd it would be much appreciated.