Options

Mad Season or Temple Of The Dog?

2»

Comments

• Options
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    I know I have asked this before but if anyone could hook me up, or know where I can find the Live at the Moore dvd it would be much appreciated.
    I picked up a burned copy off ebay for $10 that seems recorded from VHS, but overall quality is good with the sound being very good! Well worth it that way.
    7/28/1992 Lollapalooza Cincinnati, 9/22/1996 Toledo, 8/20/2000 Cincinnati, 6/24/2006 Cincinnati, 8/5/2007 Lollapalooza Chicago @ Grant Park, EV solo 8/21/2008 Chicago @ Auditorium Theater
  • Options
    I'd have to pick ToTD...it reaches peaks that I don't find in MS, much as I love it. Above always seems a little on one level to me.
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    mad season for me. two great albums though.
    november hotel is the clincher.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    gotta be ToTD for me, I just can't imagine another song in the world that makes me happier than Say Hello To Heaven. Seriously, when it get to the crescendo at the end im grinning like a buffoon, now matter how in appropriate it might be at the time.

Edd
    Do unto others...

Then run.
  • Options
    I know it's a bit weird to chime in 14 years later, but I have to go with Mad Season. I mean, Above is simply badass. It grips me and doesn't let go. It leaves me wanting more. I can't say I ever truly felt that way when listening to Temple of the Dog. It's obviously all great stuff though. 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,748
    mensane said:
    EASY...

Mad Season.

One of the best albums by ANY band of all time.
    True^^
    I didn't know this music (aside from hunger strke) existed til they reissued them on vinyl. Love Mad Season and listen to it more than TOD. CC has a great voice too, but it's (intentionally?) harder on the ears than Layne. Prefer the smoothness of his voice more often than getting screamed at. :/
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    ToTD, going away.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    edited November 2022
    Mad Season for me, and it's not close. 

I love TOTD, but Above is on a whole other level. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Halloween Zombie Thread! 🧟‍♂️ 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Mad Season for me, and it's not close. 

I love TOTD, but Above is on a whole other level. 
    Agree here. I listen to Layne more here than AIC even. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,084
    I refused to pick a side, I love both albums too much.
  • Options
    I should also say that I enjoy listening to Layne Staley sing by himself rather than listening to Jerry Cantrell at the same time. It makes me think that perhaps Alice in Chains should've let Layne Staley handle the vocals by himself on a greater percentage of their songs. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I should also say that I enjoy listening to Layne Staley sing by himself rather than listening to Jerry Cantrell at the same time. It makes me think that perhaps Alice in Chains should've let Layne Staley handle the vocals by himself on a greater percentage of their songs. 
    NO NO NO NO NO. one of AIC's defining characteristics was the harmonies that those two created. they are unmatchable. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Zod said:
    I'm with you here. I honestly can't pick one. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 578
    Love both but I prefer Mad Season slightly.
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    Zod said:
    I'm with you here. I honestly can't pick one. 
    You can pick your nose & your friends...but you can't pick your friend's nose

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,485
    NO NO NO NO NO. one of AIC's defining characteristics was the harmonies that those two created. they are unmatchable. 
    This. 
  • Options
    1000%
  • Options
    Perhaps it's a slightly different style to Staley's singing with Mad Season. I'm not really sure. I definitely like his vocals even better on the Mad Season album though. I heard it's the only album where he wrote all the lyrics, so maybe that made a little difference. 
  • Options
    By the way, Cantrell's voice isn't really that good if you ask me. Heck, I think Matt Cameron sounds better on vocals. 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,839
    can i combine them and have "Mad Dog"?
    How Does MD 2020 Taste  Drinking the Bottom Shelf

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,484
    mensane said:
    EASY...

Mad Season.

One of the best albums by ANY band of all time.
    True..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    can i combine them and have "Mad Dog"?
    How Does MD 2020 Taste  Drinking the Bottom Shelf

A guy named 'mad dog' clocked me in the jaw at a motorhead concert.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    The emotion in both is off the charts.  Mad Season I think I "got" more at first, as I just didn't know enough about Andy Wood back in the day before the internet.  Once I knew the connection of Temple to the  guys,  I fell in love with it.  I also think it is Chris's best vocal perfomance as an album.  Mike was pretty damn good on Temple too!  Reach Down is second only to November Hotel as far as Mike for me.  Layne sounds like thebsituatiin was, his voice sybolizes everything he was going through/they were all going through.

I HAVE TO PICK TOTD, as it has been my daughter's favorite and go to from age 3 to 7,  our almost nightly ritual.   It has a place is my heart Above does not.