New NIN CD: The Slip

broken_joystickbroken_joystick Posts: 137
edited May 2008 in Other Music
Not sure if anyone here likes Nine Inch Nails, but in the past hour and a half they've released a new CD online called "The Slip"

josh freese, robin finck and allessandro all got performance credits

remix.nin.com says: "multitrack files for the new nine inch nails album "the slip" will be available here in a matter of hours..."

the slip is licensed under a creative commons attribution non-commercial share alike license. (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/us/)

Basically, it's free. It's at NIN.com and you should probably go get it, if you like Nine Inch Nails. I've given the CD a listen to and it's pretty solid (except for the track Discipline, I didn't really like it at all, but that's just my opinion)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i like this much more than Year Zero and Ghosts

Thank god Robin is back. Trent better keep him around.

The album is pretty garage-rock sounding. A huge departure for Trent. But there are moments in it that also sound like The Fragile

So Trent is once again traveling new ground.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Yeah, once it got to Lights in the Sky and Corona Radiata, I thought Fragile for sure. It's cool, I'm seeing them in a couple months, it will be cool to see new material. Honestly, if I went to a NIN concert and all I heard was the Ghosts stuff.. I'd be pretty disappointed. Instrumentally it's awesome, but, it's just that.. instrumental. I think it would be kinda boring.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Holy shit Batman! Is Trent Reznor the coolest muthafucker on the planet?! Yes he fucking is! :D
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Jaysis.

Although I've not been too impressed with the recent tracks, it's still fawking amazing that he's doing this. Really puts bands like Pearl Jam (and every other band) lightyears behind.

Downloadin now!
  • This is pretty sweet. I liked the two tracks he released so I'm expecting good things. :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    "1,000,000" = "Last Exit" by Pearl Jam

At least at the start anyway.
  • muppet wrote:

Really? Awesome. Credit where credit's due and all that. ;)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

Demon Seed is fucking cool, maybe my favourite after the first listen. There's some really noisy fucked up sounding stuff too which is always good to hear :)
    muppet wrote:

That's exactly what I thought! Man clearly has good taste ;)
  • '1 000, 000' is a little bit generic. The chorus sounds quite a bit like Survivalism.

• Apart from 'Letting You' being really awesome and quite like 'March of the Pigs', I wonder if it's an anti-Bush track? 'We let you get away!'

• 'Head Down' is awesome and pretty groovy.

• faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    Listening now... Best free album I've ever heard! Haha. Don't have an opinion yet but how awesome is Trent Reznor? Seriously. Here, just take this album. I could sell it and make a little dough, but nah. You can have it. He's really taken this Independent Artist thing to the extreme and I love it. It was a nice surprise this morning to not only get a new nin album, but to get it for nothing. Nice.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    muppet wrote:

Yeah I totally hear that. I got all excited then as I love Last Exit!
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • audiodave wrote:
    Yeah I totally hear that. I got all excited then as I love Last Exit!

So do I.. one of PJ's best. And now one of NIN's. ;):p

And now one of NIN's. ;):p
    Oh I wouldn't say that...
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

Stupid internet.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    released as a lossless download, major credit to trent for that. i hate mp3s. free flacs now thats stepping a head of the game.
  • audiodave wrote:
    Oh I wouldn't say that...

Yeah my tongue was firmly in my cheek... neither would I. Merely pointing out the fact it's a rip-off. ;)

• Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    muppet wrote:

To me, the start sounds like "Lump" by PUSA.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    grrr.. whats with the delay after inputing my e-mail? i have the filter set accordingly! can someone give me a link or something?!
  • lephty wrote:
    grrr.. whats with the delay after inputing my e-mail? i have the filter set accordingly! can someone give me a link or something?!

Haven't you got a message saying the link has been emailed to you? I did.

Haven't you got a message saying the link has been emailed to you? I did.

i got that message. but i still haven't gotten the email!
  • lephty wrote:
    i got that message. but i still haven't gotten the email!

It's not in your junk?

feh.. i just did the request again the same way i did it before and i got the link immediately... guess something hic-uped or whatever... listening to the streaming on iLike!
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    I'm still waiting on the link. I got the confirmation message and everything, did the whole sending to a friend, but still haven't received the email. My guess, is that it's busy as hell or something? I checked both my inbox and my junk mail. Nothing! Can't wait to get that email! :)
    yeah.. i guess it is delayed. when i put in the second request and got the email link, it was just a coincidence cause the link i got was from the first request. i just got the second request link at 12:05 and i think i requested it at about 11a.

can't really complain since its free NIN, was just more anxious than anything else!
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    wow. radiohead, raconteurs, NIN... I'm liking this new online trend.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    wow. radiohead, raconteurs, NIN... I'm liking this new online trend.

Let's hope the boys of Pearl Jam look at this trend, and release some b-sides. ;)
    Or even the new album, when it's finished!
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    as if ghosts wasn't already done classily enough, trent pushed it even further with this one. granted you're downloading a torrent and not directly from the site and i haven't tried to get anything other than the mp3s, but the mere opportunity to be giving out flacs m4as & wavs is amazingly cool.

and might i add, i liked that little line at the end of the page saying yes...it is physically coming out soon for anyone curious. direct jab to radiohead there.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep