Options

Radiohead Tour Started! Reviews Here!

Comments

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,805
    dude if it wasnt for the bends or ok computer Radiohead would be scanning things in tescos by now.. their recent albums are utter shit. maybe not the last one but the period of Kid A, amnesiac etc is dire, and total bollocks. This is from a Radiohead fan too....someone who was there right from the start. To say I'm missing the point is also bollocks, as the point surely isnt their later albums, its what made them great, sure they've experimented, but to what degree of success?? very questionable.

its all a preference but they were vastly superior ten years ago.
  • Options
    Comfis wrote:
    i hope noone has complains from Radiohead Glasgow setlist

when RH play paranoid android i am always satisfied from the setlist!!

and 2+2=5 and There There and almost the whole in rainbows..(except for house of cards)

well this is a huge improvement on what they were knocking out recently
  • Options
    I think the London Victoria 1st night setlist was probably the worst of their career. I wish I'd gone to the second night.
    Oh and I love Kid A, Amnesiac and Hail To The Thief. Fantastic albums, really broaden the musical landscape.
  • Options
    ComfisComfis Posts: 117

Radiohead Manchester setlist
    was almost identical to Glasgow setlist!!

but we had a 3rd encore for a first time, and LSP was replaced from Pyramid song!

here are a few Radiohead glasgow videos
    My choice for Radiohead News is InRadiobows.com
  • Options
    thunderDAN wrote:
    you and whose army blows The Gloaming out of the water....but that isn't saying much

Opinions are like onions, just without the pee. BTW, The Gloaming is one of their BEST live songs........you see?
    "All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives"--Ed
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    pdalowsky wrote:
    dude if it wasnt for the bends or ok computer Radiohead would be scanning things in tescos by now.. their recent albums are utter shit. maybe not the last one but the period of Kid A, amnesiac etc is dire, and total bollocks. This is from a Radiohead fan too....someone who was there right from the start. To say I'm missing the point is also bollocks, as the point surely isnt their later albums, its what made them great, sure they've experimented, but to what degree of success?? very questionable.

You say that like it's a fact. Personally, I think The Bends has not aged well at all. It's not totally Radiohead's fault - just about every British band since has ripped them off - but the record does not sound nearly as fresh as it must've when it came out, because some of the material sounds weak in comparison to Radiohead's newer stuff (the abysmal "Sulk" and "Black Star" quickly come to mind). Yes, OKC was a masterpiece, and yes, In Rainbows is another masterpiece. But to say Kid A, Amnesiac, and Hail to the Thief, three very well-recieved albums (both commercially and critically) are total bollocks is plain stupid. I can understand why one would be turned off by SOME of the material on Kid A, but "The National Anthem", "How to Disappear Completely", "Idioteque", and "Everything in Its Right Place" are excellent. Same goes for "Pyramid Song", "You and Whose Army?", "Life in a Glasshouse", "Knives Out", and "I Might Be Wrong" on Amnesiac and "There There", "Where I End and You Begin", "2 + 2 = 5", "Go to Sleep", "A Wolf at the Door" and "A Punchup at a Wedding" for Hail to the Thief.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,951
    Comfis wrote:

Radiohead Manchester setlist
    was almost identical to Glasgow setlist!!

but we had a 3rd encore for a first time, and LSP was replaced from Pyramid song!

here are a few Radiohead glasgow videos

but the 3rd encore was only one song!
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    NYCPJNYCPJ nyc Posts: 761
    pdalowsky wrote:

I would tend to agree (nothing can touch The Bends or OKC) but live, even the Kid A/AMnesiac stuff shines. I gained a new appreciation for it once i saw them perform some of those songs.
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
  • Options
    its clearly not fact, its my opinion, Radiohead were on the trail of greatness, not they churn out odd albums that even dumbfound the critics,

I wouldnt agree that Kid A was well received critically, I read loads ofn reviews when it the shelves and none were great....And to be honest after a record like OKC they could have burped and farted on a record and it'd have sold by the million....this is the OKC materpiece effect.

That record made the band totally global.
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    pdalowsky wrote:
    its clearly not fact, its my opinion, Radiohead were on the trail of greatness, not they churn out odd albums that even dumbfound the critics,

I wouldnt agree that Kid A was well received critically, I read loads ofn reviews when it the shelves and none were great....And to be honest after a record like OKC they could have burped and farted on a record and it'd have sold by the million....this is the OKC materpiece effect.

That record made the band totally global.

I'd say Kid A has definitely grown in stature since it was released. It's on the RS Top 500 Albums Ever list and Pitchfork named it the top album of the new millennium.
  • Options
    here is the Radiohead Amsterdam setlist

and a few videos from the Radiohead Manchester show (including an amazing video of Weird fishes)

PS: even if the 3rd encore was only one song, it would be great if this song was Lucky!!
  • Options
    Besides, I just created a List of all Radiohead setlists of the In Rainbows Tour

hope it will be interesting
  • Options
    Radiohead had a 24 songs setlist at the Roskilde festival.. i suppose that the Hurricane fest fans would feel hard about this
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    pdalowsky wrote:

A quick stop at metacritic.com has about twenty to thirty reviews of Kid A, including the reviews of pretty much every major music publication. They're almost uniformly positive, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say it was not well-recieved critically.

And here are the reviews: http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/radiohead/kida?q=Kid%20A
  • Options
    i am back after a trip in berlin and an amazing radiohead live gig

Radiohead Berlin Setlist
    Radiohead Berlin Videos
  • Options
    Berlin had a fantastic setlist, like every date from this tour EXCEPT London Victoria Park night 1. :(
  • Options
    mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    I guess but the festival has only a couple of bands I like and it was expensive. It was $106 for each day and then they surprised us with a ferry charge (its on Liberty Island) of $20 a day plus other random charges . So two shows for about $270.

It's pricey, but the ferry is worth every penny IMO and pretty magical to see them with the skyline as a backdrop if you haven't before (i saw both 2001 shows)

Enjoy :)
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • Options
    digster wrote:
    A quick stop at metacritic.com has about twenty to thirty reviews of Kid A, including the reviews of pretty much every major music publication. They're almost uniformly positive, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say it was not well-recieved critically.

And here are the reviews: http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/radiohead/kida?q=Kid%20A

Let's not confuse people with facts.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,951
    mauichick wrote:
    It's pricey, but the ferry is worth every penny IMO and pretty magical to see them with the skyline as a backdrop if you haven't before (i saw both 2001 shows)

Enjoy :)
    Thanks! Are you going?
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Thanks! Are you going?

I'm still on the fence..Thought I was going to do Lolla instead and I just saw 3 dates in France and between that and 3 pj and "fingers crossed" 3 ed solo, more $$ spent on concert tix is kinda rough right now
    Its going to kill me to miss it on the day of though since I live in JC

The light show will blow yr mind as well
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • Options
    though it is 14 days since berlin.. here is my experiance of the Radiohead live in berlin

can't wait till the next show in lollapalooza!
  • Options
    i am back with reports from the first 3 shows of the second leg of the Radiohead north american tour:

Radiohead at Lollapalooza
    Radiohead in Indianapolis
    Radiohead in Cleveland

any reviews from these shows??
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    I can't wait to see them in Boston on the 13th. The setlists look great. I was supposed to see them in DC last May, but never made it to the show due to a damn flood (7 hours in traffic). I know they will make up for it next week though! For anyone who wants to check out setlists, reviews, etc. Check out this site.

http://www.58hours.com/
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I went last night- It was probably the most incredible concert I've ever seen. The lights, and the spectacle of the whole thing are simply amazing

here is a review from the Plain Dealer

http://www.cleveland.com/music/index.ssf/2008/08/radiohead_transcends_the_munda.html
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I am considering trying to get a ticket to the Toronto show, hopefully around $ 200
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    thunderDAN wrote:
    I went last night- It was probably the most incredible concert I've ever seen. The lights, and the spectacle of the whole thing are simply amazing

I was also at Blossom last night. Great show, though it didn't top their performance at Bonnaroo in 2006. I scored tickets through W.A.S.T.E. and got section 13 Row N which was 6 rows behind the GA area up front, some of the best seats I've ever had for a concert. The band sounded great and the light show to go along with the music was spectacular. Wish I could see them again this tour.
  • Options
    Comfis wrote:
    i am back with reports from the first 3 shows of the second leg of the Radiohead north american tour:

Radiohead at Lollapalooza
    Radiohead in Indianapolis
    Radiohead in Cleveland

any reviews from these shows??

I was at the Lolla show. I camped all day and got a front row spot between Thom and Jonny. My section of the crowd was very energetic and Thom did interact with us more than the rest of the crowd. Not verbally, but we'd point at him and he'd point back, etc. I agree that the sound on the stage wasnt amazing or anything, but it was loud enough for me. I have to say that it was one of the best concerts I have ever seen. The band was completely on. The only reason thom didn't say much was because he seemed quite shy because of the sheer mass of the audience. Hed come up to the mic, laugh and smile shyly, then back off and play a song. The band was tight and the light show was amazing. And they played 24 songs, and all of In Rainbows (which is amazing.) 15 step is quite the way to open up a show I must say. I enjoyed every minute of the show and it was definatly worth the camp out to be front row for it. They are my 2nd favorite band(the first obviously being Pearl Jam), so it was quite the experience for me.
  • Options
    Here is the Radiohead Montreal Setlist.

One more 25 song setlist! Amazing :)
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    i am truly looking forward to the toronto show
    i haven't been this excited for a show since tool in 01
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    I just saw them for the first time at Lolla, and they blew me away from start to finish. They're excellent performers, and they know how to put on a show. I can now see why people compare them to Pink Floyd. National Anthem is one of the best live songs I've seen done in a long long time.