Alice In Chains New Studio Album

Them-BonesThem-Bones Posts: 518
edited December 2007 in Other Music
The band is gonna start working on an album after the holidays, I'm really excited to see how it sounds, and if it's any good, but New Album=Tour so even a shitty album won't be a bad situation.

And please if your just gonna post
"Layne was alice in chains"
Save it, I've heard it enough.
"If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• This is just as bogus and corporate as "reuniting" the Smashing Pumpkins. Shame on Jerry Cantrell.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    Them-Bones wrote:
    The band is gonna start working on an album after the holidays, I'm really excited to see how it sounds, and if it's any good, but New Album=Tour so even a shitty album won't be a bad situation.

You are correct that Layne wasn't Alice in Chains, but their isn't an Alice in Chains without Layne. Why bring it back? Money. I can see how Layne really hurt the careers of the other guys, so I can see why they want to get the band back together to make some cash. But it isn't Alice in Chains. Why tarnish a good thing?
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    yeah I am not confortable with this either. Layne was so special, and such a unique sound. I didn't see them on tour, and not ok with a new album under the AIC name. Why not just record under a new name. All AIC fans will know who they are.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    are they having that one dude sing instead of layne? or are they just doing it with jerry singing everything?
  • You are correct that Layne wasn't Alice in Chains, but their isn't an Alice in Chains without Layne. Why bring it back? Money. I can see how Layne really hurt the careers of the other guys, so I can see why they want to get the band back together to make some cash. But it isn't Alice in Chains. Why tarnish a good thing?

Exactly. If not for marketing purposes, why would they keep the name AIC? They have every right to tour, record an album, and play AIC's music. But, let's be real here - its no longer AIC without Layne.
  • I agree. I think they probably should of chosen a new name, BUT I am looking forward to the new album and very curious to see how it sounds....same goes for blind melon....
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    You are correct that Layne wasn't Alice in Chains, but their isn't an Alice in Chains without Layne. Why bring it back? Money. I can see how Layne really hurt the careers of the other guys, so I can see why they want to get the band back together to make some cash. But it isn't Alice in Chains. Why tarnish a good thing?

Maybe all those guys just like playing together, its still their music, and they also probably like writing music together too. I mean, I think its weird also, but then again, AC/DC got a new singer, and nobody says, its not AC/DC because its not Bon Scott singing. These guys should still be allowed to play together, and should be allowed to write music together and call themselves AIC.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Wow Its Their Dam Job - Making Music and selling it...!!??
  • Thanks for discussing the new album
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
    Them-Bones wrote:
    Thanks for discussing the new album

:P

I dont care how bad/good it is i just want to see them tour... their first tour over here was crap only like the major hits even at AIC club shows.... but it was better than nothing
  • GR8DaneGR8Dane Posts: 957
    It is too bad that Pink Floyd continued on after Syd passed, or AC/DC after Bon.... So many more.... Why bash? Deal with it, or dont listen. It is up to you.....
    Everybody made a movie....
    Everybody had a one line.....
    Everybody misses Andy....
    We'll be seeing him in no time.... Oh Yeah.....

We are Red, we are White, we are Danish Dynamite!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    The Doors made two records as a three piece after Morrison died. they sucked.
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    I wasn't completely convinced either. But then I heard them nail 'Grind" last year, and I was sure DuVall would be a suitable singer if they chose to go on and make a new album. Seriously, just check out some of their 2006-2007 live shows. And I don't mean crappy cell phone camera vids on youtube either, I'm talking some lossless hi-quality audio.
  • I have ZERO problems with AIC putting out a new album. Jerry wrote just about all of their great songs, anyway, he just let Layne sing a lot of them.
    Okay... seatbelts. Just put the little thing into the big thing and... I tell ya what. If you don't know how to fasten your seatbelt, just raise your hand and I'll have Tommy Boy here come back there and hit you in the head with a tack hammer because you're a RETARD.
    GR8Dane wrote:
    It is too bad that Pink Floyd continued on after Syd passed, or AC/DC after Bon.... So many more.... Why bash? Deal with it, or dont listen. It is up to you.....

ive been trying to make this argument about the blind melon reunion for week. it's like banging your head against a brick wall.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    ive been trying to make this argument about the blind melon reunion for week. it's like banging your head against a brick wall.
    I'm actually looking forward to seeing blind melon on their upcoming tour
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    LukinFan wrote:
    I'm actually looking forward to seeing blind melon on their upcoming tour
    me too......if they come to the West Coast.

and the way I see it, its the MUSIC that attracts me to AIC and BM, not the singer.

there, I said it.
  • GR8Dane wrote:

I think it's just weird that they decide to do this so long after Layne died. In the case of the other bands, it was more of an immediate replacement...
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Life is too short to be worrying about whether or not it's appropriate or not for a band to get back together with a new singer - shit you people do realise there are people dying in wars and starving to death in this world, don't you?! For me, the ONLY issue here, is whether the music is good or not. I could give a tiny rat's arse what they label it as, so long as the music is good, that's all that really matters. Nobody's about to forget Layne in a hurry, the guy's music touched a whole generation of people.

Another thing that really pisses me off is the ridiculous assumption that they are doing it just for the money. I somehow doubt that they are running out of cash, considering the MILLIONS of albums they've sold. Considering their background and the type of music they made, they don't strike me as the kind of people who give a shit about making massive pots of cash anyway, they seem far more about the music.
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    Them-Bones wrote:

this is great news if you liked cantrells solo albums

otherwise this isnt FUCKING ALICE IN CHAINS

WRAP YOUR HEAD AROUND IT!

PLEASE!
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    this is great news if you liked cantrells solo albums

otherwise this isnt FUCKING ALICE IN CHAINS

WRAP YOUR HEAD AROUND IT!

PLEASE!

why isn't is AIC?

Is pearl jam pearl jam becuase they dont have krusen ?
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Why should Jerry have to stop playing his own songs? His life has to go on and people want to hear the AIC songs despite the fact that Layne died.

I think his emotional response to his friend's death kept him from thinking about his own life for long enough. Give him credit for waiting so long!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Godammned A-men.

Life is too short to be worrying about whether or not it's appropriate or not for a band to get back together with a new singer - shit you people do realise there are people dying in wars and starving to death in this world, don't you?! For me, the ONLY issue here, is whether the music is good or not. I could give a tiny rat's arse what they label it as, so long as the music is good, that's all that really matters. Nobody's about to forget Layne in a hurry, the guy's music touched a whole generation of people.

Another thing that really pisses me off is the ridiculous assumption that they are doing it just for the money. I somehow doubt that they are running out of cash, considering the MILLIONS of albums they've sold. Considering their background and the type of music they made, they don't strike me as the kind of people who give a shit about making massive pots of cash anyway, they seem far more about the music.
    Power without Perception is virtually useless and therefore of no true value
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I BrisK I wrote:
    why isn't is AIC?

Is pearl jam pearl jam becuase they dont have krusen ?
    It's hardly the same thing. What contribution did Krusen have to the songs on Ten? they were written before the band came together. Are you seriously comparing Layne's role in AIC to Dave Krusen? Whether you care to admit it or not, AIC is not the same without him.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    It's hardly the same thing. What contribution did Krusen have to the songs on Ten? they were written before the band came together. Are you seriously comparing Layne's role in AIC to Dave Krusen? Whether you care to admit it or not, AIC is not the same without him.

Who cares if it's not the same? The Pearl Jam that released Ten were VASTLY different to the band that released Riot Act. Things change. The only thing I expect to be the same, is the quality of the music. DuVall is a great singer and writer in his own right, and from seeing them live, they clearly have a great chemistry together.

And to the person who said it's basically a Jerry Cantrell solo album, well if we're getting technical here, he was always the dominant song writer in the band anyway, so it's going to be no more a Jerry Cantrell album than Dirt was.
  • I can't wait for a new album. Jerry's solo stuff was ace so here's hoping for some more killer tunes. Oh, and a UK tour would be AWESOME!
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    Delighted that Jerry Mike and Sean are getting back together for a new album.

Not so delighted at the thoughts of them continuing under the name Alice In Chains. Why not change to another name? As someone else said, any AIC fan will know who they are.

It would be more respectful to retire the name AIC after touring last year.

RIP Layne
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I can't wait for a new album. Jerry's solo stuff was ace so here's hoping for some more killer tunes. Oh, and a UK tour would be AWESOME!

Jerry's solo stuff was horrible. He is not a frontman, he needs someone with more soul to fill up his songs. Fortunately Layne was the perfect complimentary piece to the puzzle. I'm not sure how the new guy will be, but he's got some big shoes to fill.
    edved82 wrote:

Not so delighted at the thoughts of them continuing under the name Alice In Chains. Why not change to another name? As someone else said, any AIC fan will know who they are.

RIP Layne

yeah, a bunch of aging over-the-hill putzes who are hung up on the good old days will know who they are. nobody else would. keeping the name means jerry gets to hang onto his legacy and it means people might give the material a listen that otherwise never would have heard it. it means radio stations will at least give the single a chance becos they can play it as the new alice in chains, rather than them having to do the bullshit payola runaround to get their single heard. it makes sense to me.

how is it disrespectful to layne for the band to keep using the name? their success was just as much theirs as it was layne's. you think he's sitting in the afterlife going "those fucking pricks... i've never been so insulted!" i think it more likely he's happy they're making music together again and doesn't give a fuck what name they use. the only people who are upset about it are the loser trekkie fanboys who act like the band is THEIR band, not the band members' and who presume to know more about what layne would want and find disrespectful than the people who actually knew layne. and my opinion is that you all can 1) go fuck yourselves and 2) not buy the album if it's such an affront to your morals. maybe if layne hadn't seen fit to inject himself full of a lethal dose of heroin, we wouldn't have this problem cos they'd be able to tour.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    edved82 wrote:

RIP Layne

My thought is that it's a practical thing.

Jerry toured as "Jerry Cantrell" after his other cds...he played new stuff and the old AIC songs...he didn't get as much of an audience as he's probably getting under the name Alice in Chains. Despite the fact that he's still playing his own songs!

Since he probably wants people to come and has found that more people come to listen when he's touring with the Alice in Chains name, why shouldn't he?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&