Options

Bob Dylan

13»

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    dudeman said:
    It is rumored that Bob is going to stop touring next year. Is anyone going to try to catch one of the last performances?

No. Honestly, and with all due respect for his body of work, he is, by miles, the worst live act I've ever seen. I saw him a few years ago, maybe it was 2016, and, yikes: terrible sound, stage lit by what seemed to be a single 40-watt bulb, unrecognizable music, incomprehensible lyrics, zero acknowledgement that there was an audience.

I still get angry thinking about it. We and hundreds of other people left before intermission; as we fled for the parking lot, I heard the only recognizable words of the night, "tangled up in blue." Like the rest of you, I'm sure, I know that song well; it's brilliant. That night, an artistic felony, a crime of great violence, was committed against that song and, I assume, many others (it was impossible to tell what any of them were, so I am just guessing). I don't know why he would dismantle -- vandalize -- his own body of work like that, but I wasn't interested in spending any more time watching it happen.

ETA: I've seen some rough performances -- small-town hardcore bands playing in abandoned stores, etc. This was SO much worse than any of those shows.

ETA2: Before anyone says, well, he's old: Mavis Staples opened for him, and she was a GEM. She put on a show, brought her best effort, engaged the crowd. And I'm a fan of Richard Thompson, who's no spring chicken but who still is a polished, witty, charming, incredibly talented performer after 50+ years in the business.
    I see a lot of this same description. I almost bought tickets a few years ago and stopped myself. I watched youtube videos, etc.

I just don't comprehend why he does that unless he is just a complete egomaniac.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,986
    dudeman said:
    It is rumored that Bob is going to stop touring next year. Is anyone going to try to catch one of the last performances?

No. Honestly, and with all due respect for his body of work, he is, by miles, the worst live act I've ever seen. I saw him a few years ago, maybe it was 2016, and, yikes: terrible sound, stage lit by what seemed to be a single 40-watt bulb, unrecognizable music, incomprehensible lyrics, zero acknowledgement that there was an audience.

I still get angry thinking about it. We and hundreds of other people left before intermission; as we fled for the parking lot, I heard the only recognizable words of the night, "tangled up in blue." Like the rest of you, I'm sure, I know that song well; it's brilliant. That night, an artistic felony, a crime of great violence, was committed against that song and, I assume, many others (it was impossible to tell what any of them were, so I am just guessing). I don't know why he would dismantle -- vandalize -- his own body of work like that, but I wasn't interested in spending any more time watching it happen.

ETA: I've seen some rough performances -- small-town hardcore bands playing in abandoned stores, etc. This was SO much worse than any of those shows.

ETA2: Before anyone says, well, he's old: Mavis Staples opened for him, and she was a GEM. She put on a show, brought her best effort, engaged the crowd. And I'm a fan of Richard Thompson, who's no spring chicken but who still is a polished, witty, charming, incredibly talented performer after 50+ years in the business.
    I saw him on that tour, at the Toledo Zoo of all places. Mavis was on fire!

That show was not one of Bob's finest performances, though. I think I've seen him 16 times, the first one in 1997. His career and the state of his live shows have changed dramatically in that time. 

He doesn't really change things up anymore, playing mostly the same version of the same set list with the occasional substitution here and there.

In my experience, 1997-2004 was the pinnacle of his live shows. 

I saw him in Cleveland a couple years ago and thought he sounded better than he had in years. He was energetic and seemed to be having a great time. Voice was clear and his band was rock solid. 

I'm going to take my dad to see him one last time. He's the one that introduced me to Bob Dylan when I was a kid and I'll be forever grateful for how that affected me. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,279
    Well, it sounds like you know what to expect, and the sentimental value of going with your dad is no small thing. 
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    he’s great live
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    No offense people, but I will never for the life of me understand why anyone would go see an elderly performer who is a legend and expect an excellent performance.  I saw Dizzy Gillespie play late in his life and compared to his output in the late forties through mid fifties when he was on fire, he sounded old and tired.  Well shit, the man was old and tired.  But he was a legend!  I was totally thrilled and honored to get to see the man while he was still alive.
    Same thing with Johnny Cash.  What an honor to see Johnny and June Cash, even if they were old and tires.  Hell man, I'm only 72 and I'm feeling old and tired.  That's how it goes.  Wait and see.  
    I missed seeing Duke Ellington by a matter or days.  I had tickets to see him with his orchestra and the show was cancelled due to him becoming ill and the next week he was dead.  I was devastated.  I would have been happy to pay good money to see him come out on stage and play anything.  Just to see him would have been an honor.
    So please, if you go to see an aged performer late in their life, please have some respect and don't get on here and complain.  You were lucky to see them.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    No offense people, but I will never for the life of me understand why anyone would go see an elderly performer who is a legend and expect an excellent performance.  I saw Dizzy Gillespie play late in his life and compared to his output in the late forties through mid fifties when he was on fire, he sounded old and tired.  Well shit, the man was old and tired.  But he was a legend!  I was totally thrilled and honored to get to see the man while he was still alive.
    Same thing with Johnny Cash.  What an honor to see Johnny and June Cash, even if they were old and tires.  Hell man, I'm only 72 and I'm feeling old and tired.  That's how it goes.  Wait and see.  
    I missed seeing Duke Ellington by a matter or days.  I had tickets to see him with his orchestra and the show was cancelled due to him becoming ill and the next week he was dead.  I was devastated.  I would have been happy to pay good money to see him come out on stage and play anything.  Just to see him would have been an honor.
    So please, if you go to see an aged performer late in their life, please have some respect and don't get on here and complain.  You were lucky to see them.

Brian, I hear you, but there was zero regard for the audience. In recent years, I've seen Richard Thompson and Mavis Staples, as I mentioned, but also Bryan Ferry and other artists I've been listening to for 35-45 years. I saw The Cure in June, going to see Peter Gabriel this fall. None of them are in their prime -- neither am I. I also don't expect Mr. Vedder to leap into the crowd -- or for his voice to sound the same as it did in 1992, or to get a swig of his wine. We're all getting older, and I recognize that. What all of these artists convey is a love of what they're doing.

Bob Dylan did not even say "hello" to the people who chose to spend their time and their money on coming out to see him. No songs were introduced. The band was not introduced. He didn't say a word. The general impression was that he didn't want to be there, didn't want to be playing his music. I'm so NOT exaggerating when I say that the stage was lit by a single 40-watt bulb. The performers were barely visible. Everything -- everything -- about the concert failed to meet bare minimum expectations. It's not about "He didn't sound like he did in 1967!"  This concert was a travesty by any standard.

So I have to take issue with the idea that it was an honor to see him. He displayed little regard for his own craft and no regard at all for the audience. Respect is a two-way street. One would think that *he* would take some pleasure in knowing that there still are so many people eager to see him after all these years. He has such a legacy! He should take pride in it! If he does not, well, that's his prerogative -- but in that case, why on earth is he touring? It makes no sense, and it's an insult to the audience.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Still banging on about this: From what I've seen, Paul McCartney still brings a zeal for performing; I'd be happy to see him! I'm a classical music parent; I've seen Yitzhak Perlman, also past his prime, play, he still was a wonderful performer. I've seen some of the great conductors in some of their final performances, sometimes needing to sit while conducting or to be helped onto their stands. They still know the music, all of it, by heart, they still love working with the orchestras and acknowledging the audience, and it shows, even when they're infirm. Passion is passion, at any age.

Bob Dylan is entitled to be as prickly as he wants to be, but it's hard to understand the thought process that would then result in a concert tour.
  • Options
    Still banging on about this: From what I've seen, Paul McCartney still brings a zeal for performing; I'd be happy to see him! I'm a classical music parent; I've seen Yitzhak Perlman, also past his prime, play, he still was a wonderful performer. I've seen some of the great conductors in some of their final performances, sometimes needing to sit while conducting or to be helped onto their stands. They still know the music, all of it, by heart, they still love working with the orchestras and acknowledging the audience, and it shows, even when they're infirm. Passion is passion, at any age.

Bob Dylan is entitled to be as prickly as he wants to be, but it's hard to understand the thought process that would then result in a concert tour.

Well, I will admit my words were a bit harsh and defensive- sorry about that.  
    And I'm sorry the Dylan show was disappointing.  The only think I can think of other than him simply being a nasty crank was that he might have been having health issues.  I read recently that he suffers from vertigo.  If that we the case perhaps he should have cancelled.  Or maybe he's become bi-polar.  I sort of know a woman we see sometimes while out walking and she can range anything from being a total sweetheart to acting like we don't even exist.  If Dylan is inconsistent in that manner, that would be sad to me as a fan, and frustrating or even exasperating to concert goers like yourself. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989

I was always feeling sorry for the band. His band sounds great...it has to be hard to perform with a grumbling out of tune old fart fucking everything up.

It isn't about expecting a great performance...it's about expecting someone to act like they give a shit.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,986

I was always feeling sorry for the band. His band sounds great...it has to be hard to perform with a grumbling out of tune old fart fucking everything up.

It isn't about expecting a great performance...it's about expecting someone to act like they give a shit.
    His band is totally awesome! Those dudes can do pretty much everything and do it well.

After seeing Bob Dylan 16 times over the years, my experience has been very positive overall. His tours in 2010 and in 2016 were the only performances that I have seen when he seemed tired or not 100%. Every other time he has been terrific. 

The last show I saw, he was dancing around on stage and apparently loving what he does.

Everyone has different expectations and opinions and they're all valid, IMO 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options

Yes, that's it, exactly. @brianlux   you seem like a thoughtful guy and I respect your views. I went to see Dylan with my expectations managed: I've seen him on Letterman or something so I knew his voice wouldn't be great; I know he is idiosyncratic. And I know that I'm not a rabid fan with deep knowledge of his catalog. So I told myself, well, he's a poet, so at least I can listen to the lyrics of the songs I don't know and appreciate them. I'm not kidding when I say that "tangled up in blue" were the only decipherable words I heard that evening.

Friends just shared video from Bruce Springsteen's show last night. Bruce is 73 -- two years younger than Dylan was when I saw him. They said Bruce was great and they had a blast. I'm sympathetic to illness and health challenges; I'd rather have a show cancelled because the performer is not able to perform, TBH.
  • Options

Yes, that's it, exactly. @brianlux   you seem like a thoughtful guy and I respect your views. I went to see Dylan with my expectations managed: I've seen him on Letterman or something so I knew his voice wouldn't be great; I know he is idiosyncratic. And I know that I'm not a rabid fan with deep knowledge of his catalog. So I told myself, well, he's a poet, so at least I can listen to the lyrics of the songs I don't know and appreciate them. I'm not kidding when I say that "tangled up in blue" were the only decipherable words I heard that evening.

Friends just shared video from Bruce Springsteen's show last night. Bruce is 73 -- two years younger than Dylan was when I saw him. They said Bruce was great and they had a blast. I'm sympathetic to illness and health challenges; I'd rather have a show cancelled because the performer is not able to perform, TBH.

Thanks for kind word.  :smile:

I'm getting old too- just behind Dylan and The Boss (and almost the same age within a month or two of Bruce's guitar player, Nils Lofgren).  My wife likes me to play guitar and sing a little after she crawls into bed and drifts off.  I will have to make a point of focusing more on enunciating lyrics!  :lol:

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    he’s great live
    agree 100%

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Back in the early 1980s I heard about the band Minutemen and really got into them.  I went to work one day all excited about one of their songs, "Bob Dylan Wrote Propaganda Songs"

One of the guys, a big Dylan fan, came up to me with clenched fists and said, "I don't want to hear some punk band putting down Bob Dylan!"  I told him it was quite the opposite.  Maybe I should have told him about another song of theirs: 

Our band could be your life
    Real names'd be proof
    Me and Mike Watt, we played for years
    Punk rock changed our lives

We learned punk rock in Hollywood
    Drove up from Pedro
    We were fucking corn dogs
    We'd go drink and pogo

Mr. Narrator
    This is Bob Dylan to me
    My story could be his songs
    I'm his soldier child

Our band is scientist rock
    But I was E. Bloom and Richard Hell
    Joe Strummer, and John Doe
    Me and Mike Watt, playing the guitar