Options

Bob Dylan

Comments

• Options
    Wma31394 said:

After our discussions last week that he's overrated this news story caught my attention..

why do you continue to spread your personal negativity here?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,535
    So I saw a little story on the morning news today about how Dylan hasn't acknowledged the nobel prize at all. Apparently they are trying to get a hold of him and they can't, lol. He hasn't made any kind of statement on stage (he's on tour), or to any press. Nothing. I wonder how he feels about it?? Does he not want it perhaps? It's not like he hasn't accepted awards before, so I'm not sure why he wouldn't want it (is there some kind of political negativity around Nobel prizes for literature? If it were the Nobel Peace Prize or something, okay, but for literature? I can't think of any problem with that). Perhaps he simply hates all the media attention/stupid controversy it's caused. I can't believe there are people who disapprove of the choice btw, as though songwriting isn't literature. Puh-lease!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045

Wma31394 said:

After our discussions last week that he's overrated this news story caught my attention..

why do you continue to spread your personal negativity here?
    Are you serious? I just gave my opinion and you and a few others disagree...no biggy. Bob is overrated (I understand the meaning of the word) and I'll stick to it. Good day.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    PJ_Soul said:

So I saw a little story on the morning news today about how Dylan hasn't acknowledged the nobel prize at all. Apparently they are trying to get a hold of him and they can't, lol. He hasn't made any kind of statement on stage (he's on tour), or to any press. Nothing. I wonder how he feels about it?? Does he not want it perhaps? It's not like he hasn't accepted awards before, so I'm not sure why he wouldn't want it (is there some kind of political negativity around Nobel prizes for literature? If it were the Nobel Peace Prize or something, okay, but for literature? I can't think of any problem with that). Perhaps he simply hates all the media attention/stupid controversy it's caused. I can't believe there are people who disapprove of the choice btw, as though songwriting isn't literature. Puh-lease!

Perhaps he thinks he's too good for the award just like he thinks he's too good to meet bands that open for him on tour?? I think it was jim James who said that Bob's people asked his band not to disturb Bob and they did a whole your with him and didn't even talk to him..maybe it was Jeff tweddy..
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,278
    I'm not a big fan of Dylan's voice - he's one of the few songwriters where I almost always prefer cover versions to the originals - but you can't doubt the impact his songs have had on more than one generation.

It's a literature award and he is definitely one of the great storytellers. If he wrote poems or stories instead of songs this wouldn't even be a discussion.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    Bob Dylan is GOD.
    it takes a while to get it, but when you do you realize the depth.
    I think he has sounded better live in the last 2 years than the last 15 before that.
    Playing a static set in theaters does wonders for his sound.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:

He is very much into serious literature, he didn't pull "Dylan" out of nowhere!
    I wonder if he doesn't feel worthy or if he is just trying to process it and find the right response.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,535
    Now we all get to wonder if he's going to make some kind of protest speech at it or something, haha. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Going to a Dylan afternoon today, we will be listening to Dylan songs of our choice, read the lyrics and discuss. Will be fun.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    I read that there is some concern about Bob possibly having some difficulties as a result of dementia. Apparently he's exhibited some strange behaviors (that is, more than normal), not showing up to receive his award, repetitive set lists and such. Sure hope he's doing OK. His music changed my life. Much respect for Bob Dylan.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    for sure. respect. the dude is 75 years old!!
  • Options
    At the 1965 Newport Folk Festival, Bob Dylan stepped on stage, plugged in his Stratocaster electric guitar and forever changed Rock ’n’ Roll. Now, 47-years later, Dawn Peterson thinks she may have that very guitar, left on her pilot father’s plane after the show. Elyse Luray and Wes Cowan team up to investigate what could be the most valuable item since the show began.
    http://www.pbs.org/video/2253616014/
  • Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    joe159joe159 Decatur, IL. Posts: 306
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/bob-dylan-time-out-of-mind-fragments-bootleg-series-1234632265/

Looking forward to this release. His bootleg series is excellent imo, even turned me on to his religious and early 80's stuff that I'd always dismissed before
  • Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I'm ordering the 10 LP set.  this is one of my favorite albums and one of Dylan's best touring periods!
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,974
    static111 said:
    I'm ordering the 10 LP set.  this is one of my favorite albums and one of Dylan's best touring periods!
    Agreed and agreed!  His guitar playing was the best of his career, too. (In my opinion, of course.)
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Any Dylan fans read/readin The Philosophy of Modern song?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Haven't started it yet but it is next on my list. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,297
    Great that he’s still putting out music to listen to but he should def hang it up playing live shows! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Great that he’s still putting out music to listen to but he should def hang it up playing live shows! 

I haven't seen Dylan since the amazing 80's show with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, so I don't know how rough his shows are today.  But I strongly suspect playing live on tour gives the man incentive to keep going.  Much has been written about how important that is to him.  So if I were to go to a Bob Dylan show today, I would go with the intention that I was helping one of our greatest living musicians to keep going and have reason to be on this earth a little longer.  I know that probably sounds flaky, but that truly is how I would see it.   That is how I felt when I saw Dizzy Gillespie near the end of his life.  No way could he blow hot bee bop like he could in the 50's and 60's, but I got to see a national treasure play live. To me, that was thrilling, memorable, and worth every cent!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,870
    brianlux said:

I haven't seen Dylan since the amazing 80's show with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, so I don't know how rough his shows are today.  But I strongly suspect playing live on tour gives the man incentive to keep going.  Much has been written about how important that is to him.  So if I were to go to a Bob Dylan show today, I would go with the intention that I was helping one of our greatest living musicians to keep going and have reason to be on this earth a little longer.  I know that probably sounds flaky, but that truly is how I would see it.   That is how I felt when I saw Dizzy Gillespie near the end of his life.  No way could he blow hot bee bop like he could in the 50's and 60's, but I got to see a national treasure play live. To me, that was thrilling, memorable, and worth every cent!
    I saw that tour as well. It was Bob Dylan and Tom Perry and then the Grateful Dead. One of my regrets is that was the only time I saw Tom Petty live. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:

I saw that tour as well. It was Bob Dylan and Tom Perry and then the Grateful Dead. One of my regrets is that was the only time I saw Tom Petty live. 

Very cool that you saw Dylan with the Dead!  Yeah, I too regret I did not see Tom Petty live more than the one time, but once is better than none. 
    Believe it or not, I never saw the Grateful Dead, even though I grew up on the peninsula and lived in San Francisco from '69 to '73.  Hard to believe.  

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Casual Dylan fan here. I had seen him one time at the Outlaw Music Fest show in Detroit back in ‘16. I enjoyed it. I Thought he looked pretty snazzy in his white suit too. I would have to agree that he is a national treasure and I would go see him play again. It would conjure up the same feeling I would get if I were looking out at the Grand Canyon or looking up at Chimney Rock. Feelings of awe, wonder, and respect. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    My favorite Bob Dylan tribute song:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    It is rumored that Bob is going to stop touring next year. Is anyone going to try to catch one of the last performances?
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,247
    edited August 2023
    dudeman said:
    It is rumored that Bob is going to stop touring next year. Is anyone going to try to catch one of the last performances?

No. Honestly, and with all due respect for his body of work, he is, by miles, the worst live act I've ever seen. I saw him a few years ago, maybe it was 2016, and, yikes: terrible sound, stage lit by what seemed to be a single 40-watt bulb, unrecognizable music, incomprehensible lyrics, zero acknowledgement that there was an audience.

I still get angry thinking about it. We and hundreds of other people left before intermission; as we fled for the parking lot, I heard the only recognizable words of the night, "tangled up in blue." Like the rest of you, I'm sure, I know that song well; it's brilliant. That night, an artistic felony, a crime of great violence, was committed against that song and, I assume, many others (it was impossible to tell what any of them were, so I am just guessing). I don't know why he would dismantle -- vandalize -- his own body of work like that, but I wasn't interested in spending any more time watching it happen.

ETA: I've seen some rough performances -- small-town hardcore bands playing in abandoned stores, etc. This was SO much worse than any of those shows.

ETA2: Before anyone says, well, he's old: Mavis Staples opened for him, and she was a GEM. She put on a show, brought her best effort, engaged the crowd. And I'm a fan of Richard Thompson, who's no spring chicken but who still is a polished, witty, charming, incredibly talented performer after 50+ years in the business.
    Post edited by curmudgeoness on
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.