Options

Top 3 Bands Currentlly

musicfanpearlmusicfanpearl Posts: 210
edited June 2009 in Other Music
Who do you think are the top 3 rock bands right now. I am talking about bands that push the limits musically and lyrically. There are numerous groups out there that continue to put out the same music every album. They just aren't will to push themselves. Here are my top 3:

1. Pearl Jam - enough said

2. Incubus - Every album they make is different. Not always for the best, but musically they can do almost anything. Mike Einzinger may be the best unknown guitarist. Brandon Boyd can write some great lyrics.

3. Coheed and Cambria - Yeah, I know I am going to take some shit for this, but oh well. Musically nobody can hold a candle to this group. They can play prog rock, metal, pop, just about anything you want. Creative as hell, and actually that is an understatement. Energy at their shows is undeniable.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    1. The Hold Steady - they don't seem to be able to put out a bad album. Plus Craig Finn's storytelling lyrics are great.

2. The Raconteurs - just a great rock band. Jack White is the man.

3. Silverchair - No band has ever progressed as much as these guys. They seem to be getting better with age.
  • Options
    catch22catch22 Posts: 1,081
    Who do you think are the top 3 rock bands right now. I am talking about bands that push the limits musically and lyrically. There are numerous groups out there that continue to put out the same music every album. They just aren't will to push themselves. Here are my top 3:

1. Pearl Jam - enough said

2. Incubus - Every album they make is different. Not always for the best, but musically they can do almost anything. Mike Einzinger may be the best unknown guitarist. Brandon Boyd can write some great lyrics.

3. Coheed and Cambria - Yeah, I know I am going to take some shit for this, but oh well. Musically nobody can hold a candle to this group. They can play prog rock, metal, pop, just about anything you want. Creative as hell, and actually that is an understatement. Energy at their shows is undeniable.

not in the least, i like that you've broadened your scope ;)

this is tough... but i guess sticking to bands making music right now:

1. hold steady- they rock, they solo, they have great lyrics telling stories about the people i grow up with, and their live show is the kind of communal feel good vibe i've not seen outside pearl jam. love these guys.

2. nine inch nails- he's become more prolific than ever before, and his music hasn't suffered a bit. year zero-the slip is a helluva run.

3. my morning jacket- z was awesome. the new one is even better. blurring genres, soul, funk. it's a blast.

hm: silverchair... always exciting, always doing something new and expanding their sound. oasis, tv on the radio, wilco.
    and like that... he's gone.
  • Options
    dont know about the top, but MY fav are

my morning jacket
    wintersleep
    tragically hip
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    as of the last few weeks (and PJ is on a hiatus):

KoL
    Broken Social Scene
    The Sword
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    1. Pearl Jam
    2. Radiohead
    3. My Morning Jacket

HM: NIN, KOL, CWK, QOTSA
    NERDS!
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    The Tragically Hip
    Pearl Jam
    Wintersleep

honorable mentions:
    The Constantines
    Wilco
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    3. Silverchair - No band has ever progressed as much as these guys. They seem to be getting better with age.

Oh please! These guys are hacks! Hacks, I tell ya!
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    Ryan Adams & The Cardinals
    Destroyer
    Wilco
    Cock Fight.
  • Options
    1. Raconteurs

2. Raconteurs

3. Raconteurs

Consolers of the Lonely is a friggin' gem!
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    Oh please! These guys are hacks! Hacks, I tell ya!

Haha. Everyone has their own opinion. I just happen to enjoy them a lot. Their last two albums for me have been incredible. But music is completely subjective so its cool.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    1. Pearl Jam
    2. Radiohead
    3. My Morning Jacket

+1
    mine too :]
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Pearl Jam
    Oasis
    Muse
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    aside from Pearl Jam....

Kings Of Leon
    NIN
    Springsteen
  • Options
    1. Pearl Jam
    2. Radiohead
    3. My Morning Jacket
    Very unoriginal, but true for me.
  • Options
    1. Pearl Jam
    2. Blind Melon (still better than most crap today)
    3. Two Gallants
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    catch22catch22 Posts: 1,081
    Haha. Everyone has their own opinion. I just happen to enjoy them a lot. Their last two albums for me have been incredible. But music is completely subjective so its cool.

no, this is not opinion: he's wrong. you're right about silverchair and that's a fact! ;)
    and like that... he's gone.
  • Options
    1) KOL
    2) Wintersleep
    3) PJ
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    mertmert Posts: 167
    Recently my most played have been The Tragically Hip, Kings of Leon, and The Hugh Dillon Redemption Choir.

Many others in there, obviously PJ, Rufus Wainwright, Garth Brooks, Liam Finn, Silverchair.... But those are my top three in the last week or two.
  • Options
    Aside from Pearl Jam...

My Morning Jacket
    The Hold Steady
    Drive-By Truckers

(Since we're talking bands, I didn't include Lanegan, who could really take up any amount of spaces given how many pots he's got his hands in)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    okay, 3 that keep pushing themselves upwards and onwards. hmm...number 1 is easy, but the rest, not so.

Radiohead
    Beck
    Drive-by Truckers...okay, they haven't necessarily traipsed across multitudes of musical landscapes, but they have honed their talents as songwriters and musicians.

i guess you could throw in Avett Brothers, Black Mountain, MMJ, Band of Horses, Thermals, etc.

On the other end of the spectrum, some bands that have slagged off as of late and made mediocre music or taken steps backward:

Weezer, Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, R.E.M. (until Accelerate at least), QOTSA, Secret Machines, ...Trail of Dead, Bloc Party
    Live Free or Die!
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Top 3...

MICHAEL FRANTI & SPEARHEAD

RUSH

U2

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Hmm pushing musical boundries....

In no particular order

TV on the Radio-
    Every album is a little bit better then the last. The lyrics are poingnant and the music a melting pot of jazz, indie rock, hip hop, funk and many other styles. Very underated band.

The Mars Volta-
    Although their last couple albums have tailed off a little from their first couple the music they make is still VERY interesting to me and again blurring musical boundries by mixing punk, latin music, all while encompasing a free form jazz style in their songs.

Radiohead-
    Still making very interesting music even though not as good as some of their older stuff in my opinion.

I did strongly consider My Morning Jacket and Arcade Fire because i love them but i don't know how many boundries they are pushing as compared to the others i listed. Beck and the flaming lips come to mind as well for just missing the cut
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    doujodoujo Posts: 285
    NIN
    Porcupine Tree
    Beck
  • Options
    1. Pearl Jam
    2. The Raconteurs
    3. Muse
    9/1/2000 - E-Centre, Camden, 'Sometimes' started and I was hooked...
  • Options
    QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE.
    Tool
    DMB
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • Options
    1. Hold Steady
    2. Kings of Leon
    2. Cold War Kids
    no additives, preservatives, or artificial colouring
  • Options
    Pearl Jam
    Oasis
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,300

If you're really looking for bands that "push the limits musically and lyrically" I vote for:

Wilco
    Ryan Adams & The Cardinals
    Calexico

with an honourable shout to Kings Of Leon
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    well...

1.phish
    they arent around, but there just soo goood. i have been getting in to them heavily lately.

2. pearl jam
    pretty obvious.

3. kings of leon.
    new album is perfect. one of the best i have heard. and i got 3rd row tix.
    "I changed by not changing at all"
  • Options
    1. Fugazi
    though they haven't made an album since 2001, their songs still feel new and fresh

2. The Mars Volta
    absolutely AMAZING live shows. Deloused is one of the greatest records ever made (imo)

3. Tool
    i don't dig 10,000 all that much, but Aenima and Lateralus never get old, and they are amazing live.
    7/16/06 7/18/06