Are Red Hot Chili Peppers Done?

Comments

• better then 90% of the bullshit out there today.

do you mean they are better than 90% of the bullshit, or 90% of the music?

Because i will agree it's definitely better than 90% of the bullshit

But if we're talking music, then not so much.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • fleahorsefleahorse Posts: 50
    Really?

And yet frusciante has yet to record a single second of music with the RHCP that isn't boring, safe, or lame.

How odd.

try emit remmus, road trippin, sir psycho sexy, nobody weird like me, punk rock classic, good time boys, subway to venus, salute to kareem, apache rose peacock.

im a big fan

believe me ever since Californication theyve been getting worse, and the next album they will release will be even more boring than SA, but they arent finished.
    they will release a new album, i reckon itll suck badly, but they'll release it and say its the best thing they've done to that point,
    personally i prefer listening to anything Californication and earlier as that is all the good stuff, with the exception to a few songs
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Californication is a very good record in my opinion.....

I can understand the dislike for SA, but man i remember when Scar Tissue came out, i fell in love with John's sound.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Haha. So you're telling me that it's okay for you to bash an album and an artist as influential as the Chili Peppers despite that fact that you have NO cred, not even from listening to Stadium Arcadium, which you blatantlly admitted to not listening to. Not cool man.

Come the fuck off it, nearly every other post in this thread is evidence that Stadium Arcadium isn't worth bothering with. And it is my right to think that. You've basically just told me that I can't think RHCP are bad until I've listened to Stadium Arcadium properly... which is a completely ridiculous idea. A couple of their early albums are pretty good. Everything they've done this decade is boring, uninspired dead horse flogging. And by the way, what the fuck is 'cred'? I've heard a lot of Chilli's stuff, I have my evidence... I'm not going to start wearing a baseball cap backwards as well.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Great Studio Band, suspect live band.
    NERDS!
  • walkthamilewalkthamile Posts: 349
    I completely disagree. Dave Navarro made them original, that album was sooo unique. One hot minute was an incredible album, so unique and unlike typical RHCP, its too bad they decided to go back to mainstream BS after they fired dave. One hot minute was their only album worth listening to, there i said it.

I always thought One Hot Minute was badass...it was kinda like their No Code...nobody dug it but it was different, experimental and probably the only record from them aside from BSSM that is timeless.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    Agree One Hot Minute is a way underrated record. Kind of the non person disc for them as they try to forget the Dave period.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    one hot minute is a very good album, IMO.
    With the time, this is the only RHCP album I still enjoy...

to reply to the original question: YES, RHCP is done... unless they decide to try a new singer. I think they lost their energy, their willingness to do something creative and original.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    I agree that Kiedis is the weakness, he always looks bored and uninspired live.....

however, I will stand by the fact that Californication is one beautiful record, something about John's playing on that record that still moves me as a guitarist myself to this day.....

Scar Tissue, Savior, Road Trippin and Easily are just great, great songs to me......
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    culot4 wrote:
    They're on the verge of a Hall of Fame inductment. I don't know if they're done, it all depends on Frusciante. He is probably more imporant to the band's sound than Keidis is at this point. Stadium was way too over indulgent with a lot of half songs. A shame coming off a fantastic album like BTW.

More important to the songwriting process perhaps, but both are equally impossible to replace at this point in the bands' career. If either says they are done, it is over.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
    djerdap wrote:
    Hopefully they´re done, yes.

They have only embarassed themselves in the last 8 years or so. The last 2 albums are mediocre at best. Their live shows are awful.

Mother´s Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magik are still classics. And One Hot Minute is hugely underrated, far better than any of the last three albums.
    good post !
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    MCG wrote:
    More important to the songwriting process perhaps, but both are equally impossible to replace at this point in the bands' career. If either says they are done, it is over.
    they already managed to play without fruciante but I don't think rhcp would be the same without flea
  • Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    They'll have at least one more album. Chad Smith said so.
    What the fuck is this world?
  • I hope not, but I don't know where they will go musically next. SA sounds like the perfection of the sound they have always been heading towards. Its a pop sound - a Beatles type pop, not insync pop. It will be interesting to hear what they have for us next.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    I hope not, but I don't know where they will go musically next. SA sounds like the perfection of the sound they have always been heading towards. Its a pop sound - a Beatles type pop, not insync pop. It will be interesting to hear what they have for us next.
    yeah, I agree with that, but didn't they say that the greatest hits they put out before SA was their last too? I think RHCP are nearing the end of their run. pretty good one though, they've lasted over 20 years
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    Dave Navarro left the band on April 20th 1998

John Frusciante came back and ever since then, they have done nothing but written "Under the Bridge"-style ballads that garner huge album sales, and are great singalongs, but don't translate well to a live setting for a band who is supposedly a "Rock band"

The band ended when Dave Navarro's tenure did.

And you can agree or not, but listen to live performances when he was with the band, and listen to them now. Night and Day. Balls and No Balls.

so true.
    they should have broken up on the very same day. Ever since he's gone the Chilis are like U2 who just repeat themselves
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278
    anyone who can wear a sock this artistically can't be half bad.

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/8020/picbiodouble29nc.jpg

:)
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
    ~ed, 8/7

it as 15 years ago..
    i like the peppers best when they're a bit laid back and funky, pardon the horrendously 70's term. :p

i like to think of them as achieving that rare combination of rock & funk that DMB tries to do but fails horribly.

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

~ed, 8/7
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    californication was great...

"by the way" was great

"stadium arcadium" shopuld have been 1 disc and it would have been great

if you want to see a great RHCP performance, then check out the "live at slane castle" dvd... nothing rocks like 100,000 people at a castle lawn in ireland :D

you are a bad girl :p
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    chili peppers aint done
    they are just getting started
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • I like some of their music, they have had some good songs, but they choose to stay in the mainstream eye. Its obviously been worth the sacrifice for them, they have been huge, but at the same time somewhat generic.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
    my2hands wrote:
    californication was great...

"by the way" was great

"stadium arcadium" shopuld have been 1 disc and it would have been great

if you want to see a great RHCP performance, then check out the "live at slane castle" dvd... nothing rocks like 100,000 people at a castle lawn in ireland :D
    Exactly. SA on one disk would have been a lot better.

BSSM, Freaky Styley, and OHM are the bands best.

And what's with the 'RHCP are shit live' comments. Watch Slane Castle like my2hands said. ;)
  • culot4 wrote:
    Its actually good Frusciante's solo stuff sucks ass or he would have fled the band back when he was putting out a new album every week between the last two Peppers albums.

sucks? what? are you nuts mate? i respectfully disagree.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Murderers wrote:
    Exactly. SA on one disk would have been a lot better.

BSSM, Freaky Styley, and OHM are the bands best.

And what's with the 'RHCP are shit live' comments. Watch Slane Castle like my2hands said. ;)

live at hyde park kicks ass too. i managed to find that little gem here in the states at a best buy.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • deadnote wrote:
    chili peppers aint done
    they are just getting started

That post gave me chills similar to those a person might get if someone said to them 'In my hand are a pair of forceps with which I am now going to pluck out both of your eyes!'
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    sucks? what? are you nuts mate? i respectfully disagree.
    Yeah, it's awesome but it's just his opinion.
    Julien wrote:
    it as 15 years ago..

so what? doesn't diminish his sexibility. :)

look at this guy, for instance...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/rayne0505/belly.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/rayne0505/vedder.jpg

have the years made him less attractive? i think NOT. ;)

let's hear it for hot "old" guys! whoo-hoo! :)

~ed, 8/7
    i saw them live in 2003 and they rocked...

is missed this go around for some reason

they are no pearl jam , but they are not bad live