Are Red Hot Chili Peppers Done?

xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
edited April 2008 in Other Music
Do you think Stadium Arcadium is their last album? Do they have news of a newer CD? My brother said hes sure they wont continue he said they wanted to end strong with a double disc...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    All I can say is their performance at Reading last year was not one of a band with anything left to give.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • I'm sorry but the amount of praise that this band gets on this board based on their recent output is starting to get laughable.. I can't stop you but for the love of God, please give it a rest.. :o And I'm addressing the band and their fans alike.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    All I can say is their performance at Reading last year was not one of a band with anything left to give.

I'll second that. They really were going through the motions - I hate to think how much they were paid for that performance.......
  • I'm sorry but the amount of praise that this band gets on this board based on their recent output is starting to get laughable.. I can't stop you but for the love of God, please give it a rest.. :o And I'm addressing the band and their fans alike.

So what do YOU think of Stadium Arcadium?
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    They're on the verge of a Hall of Fame inductment. I don't know if they're done, it all depends on Frusciante. He is probably more imporant to the band's sound than Keidis is at this point. Stadium was way too over indulgent with a lot of half songs. A shame coming off a fantastic album like BTW.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
    I'll second that. They really were going through the motions - I hate to think how much they were paid for that performance.......
    I never truly believed you could fall asleep at a concert, especially not one of that scale and with that band, until it happened to me. I went and lay down next to a hot dog stand and just drifted off. Really, really awful. Frankly, Frusciante deserves more because his solo stuff is good shit.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I never truly believed you could fall asleep at a concert, especially not one of that scale and with that band, until it happened to me. I went and lay down next to a hot dog stand and just drifted off. Really, really awful. Frankly, Frusciante deserves more because his solo stuff is good shit.

I hope you didn't fall asleep before you had the chance to try a hotdog.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

Its actually good Frusciante's solo stuff sucks ass or he would have fled the band back when he was putting out a new album every week between the last two Peppers albums.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • So what do YOU think of Stadium Arcadium?

I've hardly listened to it because nearly everything I've heard from them this decade is even less than mediocre. I don't really care what the album is like, even if it's fantastic I'd consider it a fluke because I don't like most of the others.

Jeremy1012 wrote:

I gave up after a few songs and went back to my tent. Thinking about it, I think all the second to headlining bands on the main stage should have headlined. Kings of Leon over Razorlight is an obvious one, Arcade Fire were AMAZING, and NIN wiped the floor with the Pumpkins.
    I gave up after a few songs and went back to my tent. Thinking about it, I think all the second to headlining bands on the main stage should have headlined. Kings of Leon over Razorlight is an obvious one, Arcade Fire were AMAZING, and NIN wiped the floor with the Pumpkins.
    I agree with ALL of this. After I woke up, half way through the chilis, I went back to my tent too and drank half a bottle of tequila with a friend to amuse ourselves. NIN wiped the floor with everyone to be honest. On that weekend, only The Bronx came close for me and that was a different type of gig. That was my sweaty, fighting for my life in the circle pit one. NIN was just transcendent. I had a grown man next to me weeping when Hurt finished. The really showed the likes of the Chilis up, that's for sure.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    When I saw them, JF was on fire, unfortunatley, Keidis phoned it in.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Saw them 3 times on the SA tour. THe 2 times on the first euro leg (Oxegen 06 and Earl's Court) were really great, but Reading last year was taking the piss. For the amount they get paid to headline they should at least put the effort in. Looked like they were just there to collect their paycheques, probably the most half-arsed show I've ever seen. Not even going through the motions, they seemed like they couldn't wait to get off show. Plus they seemed REALLY plissed off at each other (especially Fru and Chad... lots of shouting).

I don't think they'll split, but that was really one show they shouldn't have done.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I agree with ALL of this. After I woke up, half way through the chilis, I went back to my tent too and drank half a bottle of tequila with a friend to amuse ourselves. NIN wiped the floor with everyone to be honest. On that weekend, only The Bronx came close for me and that was a different type of gig. That was my sweaty, fighting for my life in the circle pit one. NIN was just transcendent. I had a grown man next to me weeping when Hurt finished. The really showed the likes of the Chilis up, that's for sure.

Ahh and you like The Bronx too, nice! Yeah NIN were utterly devastating, that was definitely one of the best versions of Hurt I have heard. I heard some dick head behind me say "oh he's playing that Johnny Cash song", I wanted to scream in his face!
  • Are Red Hot Chili Peppers Done?

Dave Navarro left the band on April 20th 1998

John Frusciante came back and ever since then, they have done nothing but written "Under the Bridge"-style ballads that garner huge album sales, and are great singalongs, but don't translate well to a live setting for a band who is supposedly a "Rock band"

The band ended when Dave Navarro's tenure did.

And you can agree or not, but listen to live performances when he was with the band, and listen to them now. Night and Day. Balls and No Balls.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    i love RHCP for the most part. though it probably is time for them to give it a rest. otherwise they will end up like aerosmith. making songs for soundtracks and releasing 10 different best of albums.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    I've hardly listened to it because nearly everything I've heard from them this decade is even less than mediocre. I don't really care what the album is like, even if it's fantastic I'd consider it a fluke because I don't like most of the others.

Haha. So you're telling me that it's okay for you to bash an album and an artist as influential as the Chili Peppers despite that fact that you have NO cred, not even from listening to Stadium Arcadium, which you blatantlly admitted to not listening to. Not cool man.

Anyways...I read in an interview when Stadium Arcadium came out with AK saying that SA was only the "halfway point." Coming off of a tour like that takes some time though. Not everyone's Pearl Jam.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.

John Frusciante came back and ever since then, they have done nothing but written "Under the Bridge"-style ballads that garner huge album sales, and are great singalongs, but don't translate well to a live setting for a band who is supposedly a "Rock band"

And you can agree or not, but listen to live performances when he was with the band, and listen to them now. Night and Day. Balls and No Balls.

Not true. They've never been a great live band with any consistency at any point of their career. They're about as hit or miss a live band you'll ever see. That doesn't mean the didn't make any good albms in the past 10 years. BTW is hardly an Under the Bridge ballad collection. Its as experimental and complete an album they've ever done. Kiedis was even threatening to become a real vocalist.
  • culot4 wrote:
    Not true. They've never been a great live band with any consistency at any point of their career.
    They're about as hit or miss a live band you'll ever see.

i will take your word for it.

i've seen nothing but massive suckage from them live, so i am sure it goes back further.
    That doesn't mean the didn't make any good albms in the past 10 years. BTW is hardly an Under the Bridge ballad collection. Its as experimental and complete an album they've ever done. Kiedis was even threatening to become a real vocalist.

Kiedis is the worst vocalist in music today. and he only gets by on studio trickery (Auto-Tune most specifically).
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Kedis is the worst vocalist in music today, get real pal. Kedis has a good voice, not amazing but good. RHCP kick ass, there not breaking up. People on here say BSSM was there best album, I dont agree. Californication is there best work. Stadium Arcadium is a very strong cd, both discs. A few songs on the 2nd disc arent the best, but all in all great work. RHCP everytime I seen them live were great. John's guitar playing, to Kedis performing. Kedis gets way to much crap on this board he writes good songs, sometimes weird lyrics and has a good singing voice. I dont care what anyone says.
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Atrocious live; haven't had a great album since BSSM
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    No matter what one might think of SA, I wouldn't count these guys out. They are survivors, and seem to do great work when least expected.
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    I actually felt that Staduim Arcadium was their comeback album. I wasn't that into Californication and By the Way, but SA was badass. I hope they continue making music.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    have thought about this not too long ago as well...would like to think they'll put out one more album & be done with it at that. at least if they want to preserve their reputation.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152

Dave Navarro?!?! That guy was with them for one album and it sucked. Frusciante has more talent in his pinky than that guy has all together.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Dave Navarro?!?! That guy was with them for one album and it sucked. Frusciante has more talent in his pinky than that guy has all together.

I completely disagree. Dave Navarro made them original, that album was sooo unique. One hot minute was an incredible album, so unique and unlike typical RHCP, its too bad they decided to go back to mainstream BS after they fired dave. One hot minute was their only album worth listening to, there i said it.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • TerryibleTerryible Posts: 462
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

I agree, had to leave halfway through that set, couldn't stand anymore of it. Arcade Fire blew them away
    26/02/1998 Wellington, 09/09/2006 Marseille, 16/09/2006 Verona
    23/09/2006 Berlin, 30/09/2006 Athens, 18/07/2007 London
    02/07/2009 Honolulu (EV Solo), 22/11/2009, Sydney, 29/11/2009 Christchurch
  • Kedis is the worst vocalist in music today, get real pal. Kedis has a good voice, not amazing but good.

Do you not know what the fuck Auto-Tune is or are you incapable of using Google?
    Kedis gets way to much crap on this board he writes good songs, sometimes weird lyrics

Weird = "awful with made up words that don't exist"
    and has a good singing voice. I dont care what anyone says.

You don't care because you don't know what Auto-tune is.

Get a clue.
  • SVRDhand13 wrote:

Really?

And yet frusciante has yet to record a single second of music with the RHCP that isn't boring, safe, or lame.

How odd.
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    RHCP arent going anywhere. Why would they quit ? People on here saying I hope they give it a rest, blows my mind there a great band, better then 90% of the bullshit out there today. SA sold very well, and was a kick ass album. They sell out where they go ya think there gonna quit, I think not. RCHP will be making musci for a very long time.