Better band - Alice in Chains or Nirvana?

Comments

• BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    I love both. AIC got a bit too metal for me at times. Nirvana was more my speed. Musically , Kurt played much simpler than Jerry. Jerry is a guitar God. Kurt never really aspired to go that way (not that he could have most likely) Kurt wrote catchier music. Lyricly, I prefer Kurt by a landslide. Chains lyrics were cool and certainly painted vivid pictures, but I prefer the diversity of Kurt's lyrics.

So....I pick Nirvana

No losers here though
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Alice in Chains! I love the complexity of their music.
  • I can agree that he does over Jerry, but the ultimate voice of pain was Staley. Plus, AIC just always seemed to have more important stuff to say.

Layne was the master of pain and sorrow.

AIC Hands fucking down.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I BrisK I wrote:
    lol i got nothing wrong with your hockeyness...

Im just really sick of seeing the TV and people go on about how great Nirvana are. E.g top 100 songs of the 90s on MTV or w/e and smells like teen spirit will be 1 and you wont see any other grunge bands maybe like pearl jam even flow at 87 or something. And on april 5th i scan through my tv channels and on the web and its all Kurt this, Kurt that... what happened to fucking Layne man?? and also none of the other greats like Shannon Hoon and Andy wood, dont get a mention in their part of grunge when its their day. In my opinion nirvana arn't great. but its the fact that none of these other great bands.. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, AIC dont get talked about and not many people know them over here know about them.. or it maybe its just the age I am at.... And just shit like seeing people about wearing nirvana hoodies and i bet they havent even heard of AIC, Soundgarden, PJ and i bet if they were opened up to them they would realise that they are better than Nirvana regardless of how good you think they are

Hope that mad some sense

EDIT - an example is me.. used to listen to nevermind every day or at least once a week... I did listen to the others a lot but nevermind + Unplugged in New York. I just heard AIC,SG and Pj from my older brother, since he showed me those bands i just realised there more stuff better than just Nirvana out there...

EDIT - But more to the points.. i do think AIC are better than Nirvana, the team of Jerry and Layne on vocals is just awesome, I just really love the music they make. I believe them being better muscians does play a role.. it enables them to play more interestings things... e.g Jerry's cool solos....and also Kinney being a better drummer ETC ETC, just makes the music better to listen to.

I understand where you're coming from completely, I think it's funny how many people were ignorant about Chris Cornell when Audioslave came to town a few years ago but I think that happens with everything. The thing is that it's easier for people to latch onto one specific entity, Nirvana in this case, than acknowledge a whole scene that had been going on for years. The reason that Nirvana will always be associated like they are with the early nineties is the same, it's common for someone who doesn't care about music or rather someone who isn't fanatical, to think grunge=kurt cobain/flannel shirts wrapped around peoples waists. But the whole issue is bunk because comparing these bands is like comparing Iron Maiden and the Clash, sure they came out at the same time from the same place but are totally different styles of music. also I liked that you kept editing your post when you remembered stuff, I always want to go back to fix my posts but hardly do.

Edit-(like this) for the people who are saying Kurt has no emotion in his voice compared to Layne go back and listen to "Where did you Sleep Last Night" from Unplugged in New York, it's not an cuckolded lover lamenting his adulterous wife, it's the sound of a man ready-and as we all learnt a few months later-willing to to give up on everything. You don't get more desperate that than.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    My vote is for Nirvana, hands down!
  • chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    Alice in Chains
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    I understand where you're coming from completely, I think it's funny how many people were ignorant about Chris Cornell when Audioslave came to town a few years ago but I think that happens with everything. The thing is that it's easier for people to latch onto one specific entity, Nirvana in this case, than acknowledge a whole scene that had been going on for years. The reason that Nirvana will always be associated like they are with the early nineties is the same, it's common for someone who doesn't care about music or rather someone who isn't fanatical, to think grunge=kurt cobain/flannel shirts wrapped around peoples waists. But the whole issue is bunk because comparing these bands is like comparing Iron Maiden and the Clash, sure they came out at the same time from the same place but are totally different styles of music. also I liked that you kept editing your post when you remembered stuff, I always want to go back to fix my posts but hardly do.

Edit-(like this) for the people who are saying Kurt has no emotion in his voice compared to Layne go back and listen to "Where did you Sleep Last Night" from Unplugged in New York, it's not an cuckolded lover lamenting his adulterous wife, it's the sound of a man ready-and as we all learnt a few months later-willing to to give up on everything. You don't get more desperate that than.

haha yeh
    When i talk about this album with people they usually just go on about the covers...

EDIT - yeh man... Like when audioslave got together... i was speaking to other people and i was like so what you think of Chris Cornell and they are like who!? :0!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i was into both bands growing up and both mean a great deal to me but i'll put it like this: today i heard "It Ain't Like That", "Lake of Fire" and some song off of Bleach-can't remember on my iPod, and the Nirvana stuff KILLED AIC. some of that Facelift stuff sounds like ass today. i recently revisited some of my Nirvana catalogue and it surprisingly aged much better than i thought it would. Aic? i don't know.. i don't see myself listening to "Heaven Beside You", "Dam That River", "Hate To Feel", "Swing On This", "Over Now", or half the songs on Facelift like i use to. but in all fareness, "Died", "We Die Young", "Junkhead", "God Am", "Lying Season", "Rotten Apple", "Brother", "Would?" and "Sludge Factory" still kick ass just like they did years ago.

i'd say i like Nirvana better today but ask me again tomorrow and i might say AIC.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    i was into both bands growing up and both mean a great deal to me but i'll put it like this: today i heard "It Ain't Like That", "Lake of Fire" and some song off of Bleach-can't remember on my iPod, and the Nirvana stuff KILLED AIC. some of that Facelift stuff sounds like ass today. i recently revisited some of my Nirvana catalogue and it surprisingly aged much better than i thought it would. Aic? i don't know.. i don't see myself listening to "Heaven Beside You", "Dam That River", "Hate To Feel", "Swing On This", "Over Now", or half the songs on Facelift like i use to. but in all fareness, "Died", "We Die Young", "Junkhead", "God Am", "Lying Season", "Rotten Apple", "Brother", "Would?" and "Sludge Factory" still kick ass just like they did years ago.

i'd say i like Nirvana better today but ask me again tomorrow and i might say AIC.

Yeah I agree, even Dirt to an extent sounds tired and old, this still hasn't happened to Nirvana. Listening to In Utero now for the first time in a while and it is just a brilliant as I remember. I think this is because Nirvana came out of the punk scene more than the metal scene like AIC and as such didn'tr have all that lame ass metal influence that they moved away from latter on, like the AIC self titled is fucking wicked but you can't judge a band on one album exclusivly so...uhh yeah and stuff
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Alice in Chains EASILY!! This shouldn't even have to be argued...
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • mrwalkerb wrote:
    Yeah I agree, even Dirt to an extent sounds tired and old, this still hasn't happened to Nirvana. Listening to In Utero now for the first time in a while and it is just a brilliant as I remember. I think this is because Nirvana came out of the punk scene more than the metal scene like AIC and as such didn'tr have all that lame ass metal influence that they moved away from latter on, like the AIC self titled is fucking wicked but you can't judge a band on one album exclusivly so...uhh yeah and stuff

I think it is just a difference of opinion and what fuels certain people's musical tastes.

That being said..."Dirt" will NEVER sound tired or old to me. I have been on a huge AIC kick lately, and Dirt and Jar Of Flies/Sap (I combined them onto 1 disc) have been on the heaviest of rotations. "Dirt" from "Them Bones" all the way to "Would?" is a fucking masterpiece. There is nothing old about that record (except for maybe the year printed on the back of the disc). Actually, I think it keeps getting better, as with all AIC music.
  • Layne Staley > Kurt in his prime.

Hell, I like AiC Unplugged more so than Nirvana's. But maybe because Nirvana's is a bit played out now
    "It's as comfortable as can be. But when you're on stage playing with Neil, well -- it's one thing to be at the zoo and watch an animal pace around its cage. It's another to be in the cage with him." -Eddie Vedder
  • I think it is just a difference of opinion and what fuels certain people's musical tastes.

That being said..."Dirt" will NEVER sound tired or old to me. I have been on a huge AIC kick lately, and Dirt and Jar Of Flies/Sap (I combined them onto 1 disc) have been on the heaviest of rotations. "Dirt" from "Them Bones" all the way to "Would?" is a fucking masterpiece. There is nothing old about that record (except for maybe the year printed on the back of the disc). Actually, I think it keeps getting better, as with all AIC music.

I totally agree. Dirt is terribly underrated to the point where it wasn't even on Rolling Stone's top 500 list. I didn't agree with most the list anyways, but come on. How in the hell do you leave this musical masterpiece out? There isn't a bad song on the album, not that AIC has many bad songs to begin with.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • Antreaper wrote:
    Layne Staley > Kurt in his prime.

Hell, I like AiC Unplugged more so than Nirvana's. But maybe because Nirvana's is a bit played out now

nah.
  • Honestly, I'm not even sure how you can compare the two bands. Sure, they're both from Seattle, but they have COMPLETELY different songwriting and playing styles.
    I'll cut you in.
  • Aic
    8-20-92 \ 6-16-08
    10-4-96 \ 5-6-10
    9-6-98 \ 5-7-10
    4-19-03 \ 9-22-12
    10-6-04 \ 7-19-13
    6-24-06 \ 12-6-13
    10-1-14 \ 4-16-16
    \ 4-26-16 \
  • Honestly, I'm not even sure how you can compare the two bands. Sure, they're both from Seattle, but they have COMPLETELY different songwriting and playing styles.

This doesn't have to be a comparison, even thought that's impossible to avoid. I was just curious as to who you liked more for whatever reasons you may have.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    mrwalkerb wrote:

Dirt will never sound tired and old???? - what exactly you mean, that its boring to listen to now?
  • I totally agree. Dirt is terribly underrated to the point where it wasn't even on Rolling Stone's top 500 list. I didn't agree with most the list anyways, but come on. How in the hell do you leave this musical masterpiece out? There isn't a bad song on the album, not that AIC has many bad songs to begin with.

I even like Iron Gland...I mean c'mon. :)
  • I even like Iron Gland...I mean c'mon. :)

Iron Gland kicks ass!!!!
  • Iron Gland kicks ass!!!!

I wouldn't go that far, but it's alot better than most other bands at their best.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I totally agree. Dirt is terribly underrated to the point where it wasn't even on Rolling Stone's top 500 list. I didn't agree with most the list anyways, but come on. How in the hell do you leave this musical masterpiece out? There isn't a bad song on the album, not that AIC has many bad songs to begin with.
    my all-time favourite album. no other record has ever HIT me like that, and I mean hit. It felt like a punch to the jaw. Never been able to understand why I related so much.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Both great bands but I will pick Nirvana.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    use to be a big nirvana fan but not as much anymore... Still thinki they are better than AIC... Both good bands but nirvana gave the world in utero.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    I'm gonna go with Alice in Chains, as I almost completely hate Nirvana.
    Antreaper wrote:
    Layne Staley > Kurt in his prime

What exactly was Layne better at?

Writing- no (Jerry wrote most of the good lyrics anyway)
    Playing guitar- no (Layne didn't do that either)
    singing- I don't think so; open for debate
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

• Brainofdz wrote:

Layne wrote some damn good lyrics...read almost all of Tripod...

Layne may not have been a guitar God, but he was better than Kurt.

Layne's voice is much more powerful than Kurt.
    I don't even remember Layne playing much guitar

• Brainofdz wrote:
    I don't even remember Layne playing much guitar

He really didn't except for the songs he wrote on his own.

Angry Chair, Hate To Feel, Head Creeps
  • Brainofdz wrote:

Writing- Uhhhh, Layne had some GREAT shit. Frogs - "What does friend mean to you? A word so wrongfully abused." God Am, Angry Chair, Nutshell, Am I Inside?, Love Hate Love, and so forth and so on. Cantrell is a great song writer, but you just can't forget Layne's talent because he had another great writer in the band.

Playing guitar- Layne wasn't the greatest guitar player in the world, but he didn't have to be. He had Jerry. Beside, Cobain is one of the most overrated guitar players in the history of guitar players. I'll take Angry Chair any day of the week.

Singin- Are you kidding me? Layne destroys Kurt vocally. No fuckin contest.

And if you don't like his Chains stuff, you HAVE to like Mad Season. It should be a law.