Better band - Alice in Chains or Nirvana?

You'veGotRedOnYouYou'veGotRedOnYou Posts: 133
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Ok, this is my first post, and I wanted to start with something non-Pearl Jam but somewhat related. It's a simple question; which band do you like more? I know that Nirvana has all the media hype behind them, but musically its hard to ignore Alice. I mean, Alice really had it all. I feel that Nirvana was gloriously overrated; not that I don't like them, I just feel that PJ and Alice are/were way ahead in terms of music talent. Let me know what you think.

Oh, and in case you can't tell, I am Chains all the way.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Welcome to the pit! :)

This thread would belong in the 'Other Music' forum of the pit, though. The Moving Train is for politics, news and debate.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Oh, sorry about that. What do I need to do to get it moved? Thanks!
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,015
    I hate this argument, b/c I love all three bands. All three have had a major influence on the music we listen to today, and had a great influence on my life personally. That said, I take PJ #1 as a favorite, Nirvana as the band that let us listen to the others, and AIC as the most musically gifted (I could argue that their sound, and musicianship has been copied a bunch more that the other two). On a side note, just b/c Nirvana played simple, catchy, songs, does not make them talent-less, or even not as good as the other two. I mean look at the freaking Beatles, if they were out today we'd all hate them for writing stupid, simple songs...the point is they were catchy, and lots of people loved, and still love them, and they had a major influence on the music we listen to today. So I guess I'm saying step off Nirvana, but keep your love of AIC, and PJ. :) Welcome to the board.
  • ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,015
    Oh, sorry about that. What do I need to do to get it moved? Thanks!
    don't worry the moving will happen for you...
  • angelicaangelica Posts: 6,038
    Definitely Nirvana just because.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • ryan198 wrote:
    don't worry the moving will happen for you...

Cool deal. But don't get me wrong, I don't hate Nirvana. I just think that they are the lesser of the three. I personally feel that some of the best music is when it's at its simplest (Nirvana, Ramones, early Beatles). I think that the praise that Nirvana gets makes me jealous that AIC isn't held is as hight regard because the band really deserves it. Jerry Cantrell or Kurt Cobain? Not even an option for me!
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    Nirvana, to me Kurt Cobain's voice has more pain and anger
  • genie wrote:
    Nirvana, to me Kurt Cobain's voice has more pain and anger

I can agree that he does over Jerry, but the ultimate voice of pain was Staley. Plus, AIC just always seemed to have more important stuff to say.
  • Alice in Chains.
    MOSSAD NATO Alphabet Stations (E10)
    High Traffic ART EZI FTJ JSR KPA PCD SYN ULX VLB YHF
    Low Traffic CIO MIW
    Non Traffic ABC BAY FDU GBZ HNC NDP OEM ROV TMS ZWL
  • Alice In Chains by a landslide...
    Cincinnati. 6.24.06 Portland. 7.20.06 Gorge I. 7.22.06 London. 6.18.07
    Lollapalooza. 8.5.07 West Palm Beach. 6.11.08 Bonnaroo. 6.14.08
    Hartford. Mansfield.

www.myspace.com/lkatmeimsandrab
  • I am glad to see that there are some people on the AIC side! Not that it's a huge debate, but it still makes me happy.
  • Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    welcome to the board! interesting topic...

alice in chains in my opinion. when it comes to lyrics, it's a tie...but you can't beat layne's voice!
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
  • not4unot4u Posts: 512
    i fucking HATE jerry cantrell.... but layne destroys kurt
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • They both suck monkey ass.
    www.myspace.com/olafvonmastadon
  • Nirvana... no, Alice In Chains... no, Nirvana... no, Alice in Chains... no, Nirvana... no, Alice In Chains
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
  • Nirvana
  • Depends. At your earliest opportunity thoroughly smell your next fart of appreciable volume. I you vaguely liked the smell go with Alice in chains. If you were able to discern slight hints of what you had for breakfast then your path is definitely Nirvana.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • AIC all the way.

Dirt is such a great album.
  • alice
  • Alice in Chains
    7/16/06 7/18/06
  • barakabaraka Posts: 1,268
    Both!! Am I in the 'Other Music' section?
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
    but the illusion of knowledge.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
    ~Albert Einstein
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    well in hockey (or I guess any sport really) they say that to tell whoever gets the most out of a trade is easy, you look at who got the best player, so in this case we'll just say that's whoever put out the best single album. With that in mind it's easy to say Nirvana. I mean In Utero is way better than any of teh Alice in Chains records-love them as I do. I find that sometimes AIC is hard to take a lot of in one sitting.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    AIC all the way.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • AIC had some absolutely brilliant tunes but I just cannot listen to Laynes voice, I really think it's horrible... so Nirvana it would be for me.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • which are the better AIC songs.
    I have faced it, A life wasted...

Take my hand, my child of love
    Come step inside my tears
    Swim the magic ocean,
    I've been crying all these years
  • which are the better AIC songs.
    Oh and also I have a confession to make: when someone asks a question like this, I always get confused with AIC and Live :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Oh and also I have a confession to make: when someone asks a question like this, I always get confused with AIC and Live :o
    But since nobody else is answering :o I can say with SOME confidence that they sang 'down in a hole' and 'don't follow'. I actually love both of those... did they sing 'I alone'? Or was that Live??? :confused:

Google here I come :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    which are the better AIC songs.

There are so many, these come to mind: down in a hole, would?, nutshell, man in the box, rooster, got me wrong, no excuses, rotten apple, I stay away...

Oh and also I have a confession to make: when someone asks a question like this, I always get confused with AIC and Live :o

:eek:
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    Nirvana was way over-rated. AIC was the better band by a landslide.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Collin wrote:

:eek:
    well there ya go :o I said it. I just think I alone sounds very much like down in a hole :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life