Better band - Alice in Chains or Nirvana?

Comments

• BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    I like Nirvana but I love Alice In Chains.
  • mammasan wrote:
    Nirvana was way over-rated. AIC was the better band by a landslide.

I fully agree. Not that Nirvana sucks, but AIC was way better. And to the person who gets AIC confused with Live, I can't even think of a response. I am just blankly staring at my screen astounded.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • Alice in Chains, hands down. To me, they're the greatest band ever.
    I'll cut you in.
  • surfsurf Posts: 1
    ALICE IN CHAINS. Best band ever.
  • definitely alice in chains

nirvana are so over rated its ridiculous. they were good, but nothing on alice.
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
    Not even hard. Alice In Chains.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Yes Alice In Chains by 99 landslides

Lol i cant believe some of these posts....
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    well in hockey (or I guess any sport really) they say that to tell whoever gets the most out of a trade is easy, you look at who got the best player, so in this case we'll just say that's whoever put out the best single album. With that in mind it's easy to say Nirvana. I mean In Utero is way better than any of teh Alice in Chains records-love them as I do. I find that sometimes AIC is hard to take a lot of in one sitting.

What the hell?
    Oh and also I have a confession to make: when someone asks a question like this, I always get confused with AIC and Live :o

Waa?
  • I BrisK I, I must say I love your signature. Staley was awesome.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
    I BrisK I, I must say I love your signature. Staley was awesome.

:)

its the second thing we agree on :)

did you catch AIC last year?
  • I BrisK I wrote:
    :)

its the second thing we agree on :)

did you catch AIC last year?

Oh, yeah. I drove six hours from Memphis to Tulsa with 3 friends of mine. It was fucking fantastic. I had my doubts about William Duvall at first, but he blew me away. Great fucking show. The only downer was they didn't play the acoustic set, but oh well. I am more than happy with what I got.

You get to see them?
    yup twice.

Donington festival and at the Astoria.

was it meant to be the two set shows?

I only got hit setlists - like 40 minute slot at Donington festival.. must have payed around $500++ just to see that. And then Astoria show wasn't that long either.

They recorded a 28 song setlist one.... so watch out for a dvd :)

met the Comes With The Fall merchandise lady on the AIC forum and she managed to get me this in 2006 Oct whilst Will was with AIC

thejpegky3.jpg
  • Nirvana by a mile for me
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Thats pretty cool stuff. I actually got to meet Jerry Cantrell after one of his solo shows in Memphis a few years back. He signed my ticket and my wristband. Pretty cool moment.

As for the show length, in the States they generally played an electric set, then acoustic, the back electric followed by the encore. Sadly, at a few shows the didn't do the acoustic set at some venues cause the stages were to small. Mine happened to be one of the them.

But my show did last about 2 hours and they rocked. Only cost me $45, which makes it that much better.

I heard about the dvd in the works and I am stoked. Hope to see it out this year.
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Alice in Chains definitely rule over Nirvana in my eyes.

Bar chords rule over power chords any day!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
    Thats pretty cool stuff. I actually got to meet Jerry Cantrell after one of his solo shows in Memphis a few years back. He signed my ticket and my wristband. Pretty cool moment.

As for the show length, in the States they generally played an electric set, then acoustic, the back electric followed by the encore. Sadly, at a few shows the didn't do the acoustic set at some venues cause the stages were to small. Mine happened to be one of the them.

But my show did last about 2 hours and they rocked. Only cost me $45, which makes it that much better.

I heard about the dvd in the works and I am stoked. Hope to see it out this year.

yeh my cheapest show yet was AIC @ Astoria, was £15 around $30
  • AIC by a country mile, or two.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I brisk I not sure if you're laughing at my opinion or my shitty hockey analogy, you're excused for the hockey thing but the trade deadline is coming up quick and it's been on my mind a lot. However, that being said, anytime someone has one of these "X vs. Nirvana" things all these people say "ooo Nirvana is overrated, Kurt killed himself, I don't have an valid point etc. etc." and it just gets fucking tiring. Were Nirvana better musicians than AIC? No of course not. Were Alice In Chains even remotely as musically or culturally significant as Nirvana? see above. What is lost in all this hype about what they did-which didn't just expose the world Pearl jam and the "Seattle sound" guys but brought punk to the mainstream and a plethora of different underground styles that otherwise would have stayed underground. Oh yeah and equating me to the guy who confuses AIC with Live was just rude and unpleasent.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • mrwalkerb wrote:
    I brisk I not sure if you're laughing at my opinion or my shitty hockey analogy, you're excused for the hockey thing but the trade deadline is coming up quick and it's been on my mind a lot. However, that being said, anytime someone has one of these "X vs. Nirvana" things all these people say "ooo Nirvana is overrated, Kurt killed himself, I don't have an valid point etc. etc." and it just gets fucking tiring. Were Nirvana better musicians than AIC? No of course not. Were Alice In Chains even remotely as musically or culturally significant as Nirvana? see above. What is lost in all this hype about what they did-which didn't just expose the world Pearl jam and the "Seattle sound" guys but brought punk to the mainstream and a plethora of different underground styles that otherwise would have stayed underground. Oh yeah and equating me to the guy who confuses AIC with Live was just rude and unpleasent.

Hey, man. I didn't start this thread to start wars. I had just had the conversation at work the other day and I wanted to see what other people thought of it. And, of course Nirvana is overrated. And, cultural impact doesn't matter in this question. It's a simple question of who's music do you like more.
    Hey, man. I didn't start this thread to start wars. I had just had the conversation at work the other day and I wanted to see what other people thought of it. And, of course Nirvana is overrated. And, cultural impact doesn't matter in this question. It's a simple question of who's music do you like more.

just defending myself, and you say that they're overrated as if it's common knowledge whereas I think that people don't understand the scope of what they did and and if you actually look at everything they led to there's no way you can call them overrated.

Edit-typo
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

• mrwalkerb wrote:
    just defending myself, and you say that they're overrated as if it's common knowledge whereas I think that people don't understand the scope of what they did and and if you actually look at everything they led to there's no way you can call them overrated.

Edit-typo

Your entitled to your opinion. If you base the music you like solely "on the scope of what it did and what it led to" than thats fine with. I listen to the music that is appealing to my ears. Everything else is just interesting backstory. So, in my opinion, based on their music (the only thing that should truly matter) Nirvana is grossly overrated.
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I just think I alone sounds very much like down in a hole :o

Helen... thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • For me, Nirvana. I've never liked my music too metally.
    Your entitled to your opinion. If you base the music you like solely "on the scope of what it did and what it led to" than thats fine with. I listen to the music that is appealing to my ears. Everything else is just interesting backstory. So, in my opinion, based on their music (the only thing that should truly matter) Nirvana is grossly overrated.

but you can't just base it on the music with a band like Nirvana, because so much of why they are hyped is because of what they did outside of the direct musical influence. It's like looking at Jackie Robinson's influence on baseball solely as a good outfielder, while nobody disputes his abilities as a ball player that's not why people remember him, same as Nirvana. That being said In Utero and Nevermind are amazing amazing records.
    Chris Cornell

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    genie wrote:
    Nirvana, to me Kurt Cobain's voice has more pain and anger
    are you kidding? I've never heard anything like Layne's voice. I read once an article that described him as "Kurt Cobain but 100 times more tortured". the difference is that layne had a voice laced with pain but could sing fantastically as well. I know what I'd rather hear.

Alice by a million miles for me.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • mrwalkerb wrote:
    but you can't just base it on the music with a band like Nirvana, because so much of why they are hyped is because of what they did outside of the direct musical influence. It's like looking at Jackie Robinson's influence on baseball solely as a good outfielder, while nobody disputes his abilities as a ball player that's not why people remember him, same as Nirvana. That being said In Utero and Nevermind are amazing amazing records.

Good analogy. Good point. I never said I didn't like Nirvana; I do own all the albums and listen to them with regularity. One of my favorite songs all time is Swap Meet. Perhaps I just struggle to see the whys and hows they got to that point in the first place. For me, thats where the overrated comes into play. They didn't do anything special (in my eyes) to get them that hype. I just don't understand it. And I really think that AIC is just a better band in every single aspect. Hell, I like the Melvins, Mother Love Bone, and Green River more than Nirvana.
    And I really think that AIC is just a better band in every single aspect. Hell, I like the Melvins, Mother Love Bone, and Green River more than Nirvana.

And that's cool, I go teh other way obviously but it's such a loaded question when you start talking about nirvana in any regard here because so many people want to hate on Cobain because they think there is some beef between PJ and Nirvana etc. Just look at teh "Cobain would have been forty" thread going on.
    Chris Cornell

mrwalkerb wrote:

lol i got nothing wrong with your hockeyness...

Im just really sick of seeing the TV and people go on about how great Nirvana are. E.g top 100 songs of the 90s on MTV or w/e and smells like teen spirit will be 1 and you wont see any other grunge bands maybe like pearl jam even flow at 87 or something. And on april 5th i scan through my tv channels and on the web and its all Kurt this, Kurt that... what happened to fucking Layne man?? and also none of the other greats like Shannon Hoon and Andy wood, dont get a mention in their part of grunge when its their day. In my opinion nirvana arn't great. but its the fact that none of these other great bands.. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, AIC dont get talked about and not many people know them over here know about them.. or it maybe its just the age I am at.... And just shit like seeing people about wearing nirvana hoodies and i bet they havent even heard of AIC, Soundgarden, PJ and i bet if they were opened up to them they would realise that they are better than Nirvana regardless of how good you think they are

Hope that mad some sense

EDIT - an example is me.. used to listen to nevermind every day or at least once a week... I did listen to the others a lot but nevermind + Unplugged in New York. I just heard AIC,SG and Pj from my older brother, since he showed me those bands i just realised there more stuff better than just Nirvana out there...

EDIT - But more to the points.. i do think AIC are better than Nirvana, the team of Jerry and Layne on vocals is just awesome, I just really love the music they make. I believe them being better muscians does play a role.. it enables them to play more interestings things... e.g Jerry's cool solos....and also Kinney being a better drummer ETC ETC, just makes the music better to listen to.
    For me, Nirvana. I've never liked my music too metally.

ever heard JAR OF FLIES?

:D:D:D

Hmm its not that much more metally tbh....
  • I BrisK I wrote:
    lol i got nothing wrong with your hockeyness...

Im just really sick of seeing the TV and people go on about how great Nirvana are. E.g top 100 songs of the 90s on MTV or w/e and smells like teen spirit will be 1 and you wont see any other grunge bands maybe like pearl jam even flow at 87 or something. And on april 5th i scan through my tv channels and on the web and its all Kurt this, Kurt that... what happened to fucking Layne man?? and also none of the other greats like Shannon Hoon and Andy wood, dont get a mention in their part of grunge when its their day. In my opinion nirvana arn't great. but its the fact that none of these other great bands.. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, AIC dont get talked about and not many people know them over here know about them.. or it maybe its just the age I am at.... And just shit like seeing people about wearing nirvana hoodies and i bet they havent even heard of AIC, Soundgarden, PJ and i bet if they were opened up to them they would realise that they are better than Nirvana regardless of how good you think they are

Hope that mad some sense

EDIT - But more to the points.. i do think AIC are better than Nirvana, the team of Jerry and Layne on vocals is just awesome, I just really love he music they make. I believe them being better muscians does play a role.. it enables them to play more interestings things... e.g Jerry's cool solos....and also Kinney being a better drummer, just makes the music better to listen to.

very well said
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • For me, Nirvana. I've never liked my music too metally.

Or Sap? That's one of the best qualities of AIC. They could make dark, heavy music or beautiful, slower tunes. It's the best of both worlds.