Am I the only person...

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    So how come someone else understood me perfectly? :confused:
    Stop jumping to the defense of your friend and actually read my post.

I give up because it's obviously not getting through to him... Jamie knows best, so fine. Jamie knows best.
    So hang on, Jellyroll's endorsement of your opinions are more valid than Mark's of mine? Seems to me we both have people agreeing with us.

And now we have personal digs at me because of something MARK has said and not me? Christ almighty Sian, real mature and cool. Makes your arguments seem a lot more cohesive. I never said I know best. You started a thread and asked a question. I replied. I don't see any call for sarky "Jamie knows best" comments.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Would it have been a better discussion thread if we'd agreed with you?

A few people agreed with me... I didn't even quote them :rolleyes:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    So how come someone else understood me perfectly? :confused:
    Stop jumping to the defense of your friend and actually read my post.

I give up because it's obviously not getting through to him... Jamie knows best, so fine. Jamie knows best.

dont you submit to the cockheads sian. so what they dont get where youre coming from. hell im yet to meet the person who gets where im from(though i came frightfully close). anyhoo as i said the only opinion thay counts is your own. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I don't get it. What J wrote was a perfectly logical and consistent response to everything you said in the last post.. He addressed everything you said in it and unless you want to argue that he didn't, I'm forced to believe that in this case, 'You didn't get my point' translates as 'I don't like your response so I give up'.
    I believe the point was something along the lines of:

Sian doesn't have a problem wiht Sigur Ros as such, she just doesn't like them. Fair enough, they aren't for everyone. What I think she has a problem with is the fans who proclaim them to be the second coming of Christ (not literally...though I don't think this is TOO much of a stretch :p).

The point about the Spice Girl was...no one's pretending that they're musically complex or anything special...everyone KNOWS they're bloody awful :p, but at least they don't pretend otherwise.

And before someone accuses me of jumping to Sian's defense, there's plenty we disagree on, and I actually happen to quite like Sigur Ros. I don't think they're brilliant, I just think they're ok at doing what they do, which in my opinion, is making music to help me chill out and fall asleep. They certainly will never change my life.

That was take on it. Correct me if I didn't get it.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Last word again Jamie? :p

I'm not copping out. I just feel that the post I made was clear and I don't need to explain it again.

I suppose yes, I am bored of this... maybe I wouldn't have been if someone could actually tell me what the hype surrounding Sigur Ros is and not just miss the point completely... ah well.

:)

*leaves what could have been a good discussion thread*

I don't know anything about the hype surrounding Sigur Ros ... I never listen to the radio and don't think I've ever read an article about them.

I don't look too far into music ... whose a genius, whose creative ... I just like what I like so I can tell you a little about what I like about Sigur Ros :)

I find it beautiful, calming, relaxing ... which means I can understand why some find it zzzz inducing ... in fact if I'm having trouble sleeping it would be my first choice to relax me off to the land of nod :o ... it has a time and place in my life.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    Chime wrote:
    it has a time and place in my life.
    That's pretty much how I feel about them. I use them occasionally as a means of relaxing me and helping me sleep.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

• Jeremy1012 wrote:
    So hang on, Jellyroll's endorsement of your opinions are more valid than Mark's of mine? Seems to me we both have people agreeing with us.

And now we have personal digs at me because of something MARK has said and not me? Christ almighty Sian, real mature and cool. Makes your arguments seem a lot more cohesive. I never said I know best. You started a thread and asked a question. I replied. I don't see any call for sarky "Jamie knows best" comments.

'Christ almight Sian' is a little much... just 'Sian' will do. :p

Jellyroll's endorsements aren't any more valid, they just understood what I was saying is all... once again, you missed the point :rolleyes:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• dont you submit to the cockheads sian. so what they dont get where youre coming from. hell im yet to meet the person who gets where im from(though i came frightfully close). anyhoo as i said the only opinion thay counts is your own. :)

Thanks Cate :)

audiodave wrote:
    I believe the point was something along the lines of:

Sian doesn't have a problem wiht Sigur Ros as such, she just doesn't like them. Fair enough, they aren't for everyone. What I think she has a problem with is the fans who proclaim them to be the second coming of Christ (not literally...though I don't think this is TOO much of a stretch :p).

The point about the Spice Girl was...no one's pretending that they're musically complex or anything special...everyone KNOWS they're bloody awful :p, but at least they don't pretend otherwise.

And before someone accuses me of jumping to Sian's defense, there's plenty we disagree on, and I actually happen to quite like Sigur Ros. I don't think they're brilliant, I just think they're ok at doing what they do, which in my opinion, is making music to help me chill out and fall asleep. They certainly will never change my life.

That was take on it. Correct me if I didn't get it.
    Dave, I understood all of that and that's fine :) The suggestion that they are OVERRATED however suggests that, even though Sian is fine with people liking them, she's not fine with people saying they're amazing. I personally can't get my head round why that would bother someone and the idea that Sian is right and Sigur Ros fans are over-earnest people who just need to realise that Sigur Ros are no Prokofiev seems a little silly and more than a tad arrogant to me.

Of course, I just missed the point.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Dave, I understood all of that and that's fine :) The suggestion that they are OVERRATED however suggests that, even though Sian is fine with people liking them, she's not fine with people saying they're amazing. I personally can't get my head round why that would bother someone and the idea that Sian is right and Sigur Ros fans are over-earnest people who just need to realise that Sigur Ros are no Prokofiev seems a little silly and more than a tad arrogant to me.
    Is all of that implied from the word overrated?
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

'Christ almight Sian' is a little much... just 'Sian' will do. :p

Jellyroll's endorements aren't any more valid, they just understood what I was saying is all... once again, you missed the point :rolleyes:
    Yeah, and Mark's understood mine but he could only possibly be backing me up because he likes me, even though my every word is illogical bullshit, couldn't he? :rolleyes:

No response on the "what's with the unnecessary snide comments Sian?" then?

I really am out now.
  • Chime wrote:
    I don't know anything about the hype surrounding Sigur Ros ... I never listen to the radio and don't think I've ever read an article about them.

I don't look too far into music ... whose a genius, whose creative ... I just like what I like so I can tell you a little about what I like about Sigur Ros :)

I find it beautiful, calming, relaxing ... which means I can understand why some find it zzzz inducing ... in fact if I'm having trouble sleeping it would be my first choice to relax me off to the land of nod :o ... it has a time and place in my life.

That's the kind of response I was looking for. Thanks Pip :)

At least you see them for what they are and what they mean to you, you're not deluded and hailing them as 'genius' as Jo Whiley did. :)

audiodave wrote:
    Is all of that implied from the word overrated?
    Yes. It suggests that they are deserving of, at best, a certain amount of praise and no more. I just don't think that's any one person's call to make. That is essentially the gist of my argument.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Yeah, and Mark's understood mine but he could only possibly be backing me up because he likes me, even though my every word is illogical bullshit, couldn't he? :rolleyes:

No response on the "what's with the unnecessary snide comments Sian?" then?

I really am out now.

There were no unnecessary snide comments to respond to. :)

Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Yes. It suggests that they are deserving of, at best, a certain amount of praise and no more. I just don't think that's any one person's call to make. That is essentially the gist of my argument.
    So you've never used the word overrated?
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• Jeremy1012 wrote:

Of course, I just missed the point.

Well why didn't you just write that then? Why do you have to do the whole pretentious schpeel? :confused:

and I didn't say all Sigur Ros fans are over-earnest :rolleyes:

I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE MEDIA PORTRAYING THEM AS MUSICALLY TALENTED AND PEOPLE BELIEVING THEM WHEN THEY KNOW LITTLE ABOUT MUSIC.

clear enough or just arrogant?

There were no unnecessary snide comments to respond to. :)
    Wow, and you talk about not getting points :rolleyes:

In one of your responses to Mark you made some comment to the effect of "whatever, you're just saying that because you're friends. Jamie knows best, so fine Jamie knows best".

I thought it was a childish dig which had no bearing on the thread, was uncalled for and brought it up. You ignored it entirely.
  • *refers Jeremy1012 to post #43*

Well why didn't you just write that then? Why do you have to do the whole pretentious schpeel? :confused:

and I didn't say all Sigur Ros fans are over-earnest :rolleyes:

I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE MEDIA PORTRAYING THEM AS MUSICALLY TALENTED AND PEOPLE BELIEVING THEM WHEN THEY KNOW LITTLE ABOUT MUSIC.

clear enough or just arrogant?
    Uh, I DID say that in my very first post. A post entirely devoid of pretension.

That was lovely and clear though Sian, thanks. Debatable and, in my opinion, incorrect but clear. How would you define musical talent?
    audiodave wrote:
    So you've never used the word overrated?
    I probably have in the past. I try not to. Especially in terms of music. It really means very little.
    *refers Jeremy1012 to post #43*
    What about it? Chime gave her opinions on Sigur Ros.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Wow, and you talk about not getting points :rolleyes:

In one of your responses to Mark you made some comment to the effect of "whatever, you're just saying that because you're friends. Jamie knows best, so fine Jamie knows best".

I thought it was a childish dig which had no bearing on the thread, was uncalled for and brought it up. You ignored it entirely.

OK, I won't ignore it. Your generally pretentious attitude suggests that you feel you know best about music across the board, and hang on, isn't it YOUR facebook that claims "talking like a prick, being a prick about music because, let's face it, I listen to better stuff than you". :rolleyes:

I won't argue with you anymore. I have better things to do.

Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I probably have in the past. I try not to. Especially in terms of music. It really means very little.
    So is it not hypocritical to base an argument against the use of a word that you yourself are guilty of using? And if it means very little, how did you glean so much meaning from it just a few posts ago?
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

OK, I won't ignore it. Your generally pretentious attitude suggests that you feel you know best about music across the board, and hang on, isn't it YOUR facebook that claims "talking like a prick, being a prick about music because, let's face it, I listen to better stuff than you". :rolleyes:

I won't argue with you anymore. I have better things to do.
    It's FACEBOOK :D Holy shit. Did you read the rest of it? :eek: It's a joke for godssake. Do my posts in this thread sound like I think I listen to better music than other people? What part of "I don't care what other people listen to and don't judge them for it and don't get worked up when Jo Whiley plugs it" makes me sound pretentious? You think I'm pretentious, fine. You take me far more seriously than I take myself. The internets is clearly serious business to some.

I can't believe anyone would read my facebook and think that's serious :D
    audiodave wrote:
    So is it not hypocritical to base an argument against the use of a word that you yourself are guilty of using? And if it means very little, how did you glean so much meaning from it just a few posts ago?
    It means very little in terms of bearing on the music when used as a criticism is what I mean.

And I said I have been guilty of using it in the past, yes. I don't any more.

But seriously, no more of this :) A heated argument was not my intention.
  • It might be opening up another can of worms but although I don't throw the word genius around, I DO think Sigur Ros are CLOSE to genius.

Not because of what they play or their 'songs' (they don't really write 'songs' as such in a traditional sense), but because of what they've made people who like them realise about what music is. Jonsi, I think, said that he wanted to make people 'think differently about music', and I think they've done that... if anyone cares I can go into what I mean.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    well i like them and we all know that's all that matters. ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkman wrote:
    well i like them and we all know that's all that matters. ;)

Thread killer! :mad: :p
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    It took almost a year for me to appreciate Sigur Ros.

Now they could be my favorite musical group....

Try watching the DVD "Heima" it's worth it for the scenery alone even if you can't get into the music.

I would describe their music as sort of transcendental...it's not something you want to listen too if you are ready to fall into a grove.

Play () on repeat while you are working around your home. It's sort of easing and spirit lifting.

I believe my problem originally was someone described them to be like Radiohead. That description screwed me up for awhile. They aren't like Radiohead.
    the Minions
  • It took almost a year for me to appreciate Sigur Ros.

Now they could be my favorite musical group....

Try watching the DVD "Heima" it's worth it for the scenery alone even if you can't get into the music.

I would describe their music as sort of transcendental...it's not something you want to listen too if you are ready to fall into a grove.

Play () on repeat while you are working around your home. It's sort of easing and spirit lifting.

I believe my problem originally was someone described them to be like Radiohead. That description screwed me up for awhile. They aren't like Radiohead.

I have a friend who won't give them more than a passing chance because they are apparently 'like Radiohead'. :rolleyes: