Am I the only person...

Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
edited June 2008 in Other Music
who believes Sigur Ros are overrated? :confused:

...probably :o
Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Yep :p;):D
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    what's this over rated shit? the only opinion that matters is your own. :p:)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170

Do you think they are actually bad or just not your thing?

I don't see how they are OVERrated. People judge them according to how much they enjoy them and the insane gushing and overwhelming praise from this band is due to how they make some people feel. "Overrated" is such an odd expression to use to describe anything as subjective as music.

I'm not the biggest fan in the world but I do like them a lot and defy any one to say this is overrated >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWR-jJ3v1pk

:)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • what's this over rated shit? the only opinion that matters is your own. :p:)

Oh I agree...

and I think they're overrated :p:)

I just don't understand the hype behind them. They were played on Radio 1 yesterday and I don't think Jo Whiley could physically fit anymore 'Awesome's in one sentance :rolleyes:

I appreciate that alot of people like them but I just don't think they're anything special.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786

No, I have heard one or two songs and turned them of as they where that bad.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
    Oh I agree...

and I think they're overrated :p:)

I just don't understand the hype behind them. They were played on Radio 1 yesterday and I don't think Jo Whiley could physically fit anymore 'Awesome's in one sentance :rolleyes:

I appreciate that alot of people like them but I just don't think they're anything special.

a friend is planning on seeing them at bonnaroo and i said well hopefully he wont fall asleep(cause what ive hard of them lends itself to zzzzzzzs) and he basically said theres little chance of that. me...? ive managed to stay pleasantly oblivious to the sigur ros phenomenon. like everything else, i'll get to them in my own time. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Do you think they are actually bad or just not your thing?

I don't see how they are OVERrated. People judge them according to how much they enjoy them and the insane gushing and overwhelming praise from this band is due to how they make some people feel. "Overrated" is such an odd expression to use to describe anything as subjective as music.

I'm not the biggest fan in the world but I do like them a lot and defy any one to say this is overrated >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWR-jJ3v1pk

well that's 11 minutes of my life i'm never getting back.

Nice one Jamie :rolleyes:

:p

Sorry, but i'm defying you. I found that boring, irritating, repetative and drawn out for no reason. So he plays a guitar with a bow? He's not the first and certainly won't be the last. I'm not saying music has to be complicated, fast or even has to go somewhere, Sigur Ros just don't do anything for me at all and if I hear one more person saying how musically 'different' or 'creative' they are, i'm gonna scream.

All just 'in my opinion', you understand... ;)

• a friend is planning on seeing them at bonnaroo and i said well hopefully he wont fall asleep(cause what ive hard of them lends itself to zzzzzzzs) and he basically said theres little chance of that. me...? ive managed to stay pleasantly oblivious to the sigur ros phenomenon. like everything else, i'll get to them in my own time. :)

I understand that, finding music in your own time is the bast way to do it.

They stike up zzzz's with me too. Hope your friend enjoys them at Roo though, there's nothing like seeing a band you love, no matter who they are or how many people like them :)

well that's 11 minutes of my life i'm never getting back.

Nice one Jamie :rolleyes:

: p

Sorry, but i'm defying you. I found that boring, irritating, repetative and drawn out for no reason. So he plays a guitar with a bow? He's not the first and certainly won't be the last. I'm not saying music has to be complicated, fast or even has to go somewhere, Sigur Ros just don't do anything for me at all and if I hear one more person saying how musically 'different' or 'creative' they are, i'm gonna scream.

All just 'in my opinion', you understand... ; )
    I don't remember saying I like them because he uses a bow :confused: I like the music. He could be playing a zither using his testicles for all I care. He's certainly the first mainstream guitarist I can think of to use a bow for something other than a gimmick though. His guitar sound is beautiful and yes, pretty original. Page did it because he thought it made him look cool.

Why does it bother you so much that people think they are creative? Who cares? just don't listen to them :o

I don't understand why people get worked up at other people for liking something just because it does nothing for them. If you really think Sigur Ros suck, award yourself a little smile every time a fanboy raves about them. That's their business and if you think you know better, that's fine. Just don't judge someone for having different tastes to you. Screaming would just be silly and would just make you look like a crazy person who "doesn't get it" and we all know how annoying it is when people say that :)

You say yourself they just don't do it for you and it's just your opinion then you make out like people who do like them are WRONG and falling for some boring crap. Not a particularly strong argument against the band being worthwhile. Judging by their fanbase, they're doing ok :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    I agree 100%
    I find it unlistenable at times
    I understand that, finding music in your own time is the bast way to do it.

They stike up zzzz's with me too. Hope your friend enjoys them at Roo though, there's nothing like seeing a band you love, no matter who they are or how many people like them :)

oh i have no doubt he will. hes a fiend when it comes to music and as ive found out his taste borders on impeccable. hes introduced me to music that might have taken me years to discover... that is if i discovered it at all. hes a bit of a indie boy so hes a good barometer to have when it comes to quality. i hold his opinion in the highest regard. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I don't remember saying I like them because he uses a bow :confused: I like the music. He could be playing a zither using his testicles for all I care. He's certainly the first mainstream guitarist I can think of to use a bow for something other than a gimmick though. His guitar sound is beautiful and yes, pretty original. Page did it because he thought it made him look cool.

Why does it bother you so much that people think they are creative? Who cares? just don't listen to them

I don't understand why people get worked up at other people for liking something just because it does nothing for them. If you really think Sigur Ros suck, award yourself a little smile every time a fanboy raves about them. That's their business and if you think you know better, that's fine. Just don't judge someone for having different tastes to you. Screaming would just be silly and would just make you look like a crazy person who "doesn't get it" and we all know how annoying it is when people say that

You say yourself they just don't do it for you and it's just your opinion then you make out like people who do like them are WRONG and falling for some boring crap. Not a particularly strong argument against the band being worthwhile. Judging by their fanbase, they're doing ok

:rolleyes:

Jamie, I was stating my opinion, like you have done many times before. You didn't say you liked it cuz he played with a bow, I was merely highlighting the fact that people would see it as being 'creative'. He isn't the first mainstream guitarist to use a bow... I believe Jimmy Page did it many moons ago. As for playing a zither with testicles? I can't say I've seen it done.

I am 'bothered' because they seem to be being held as musically clever or different. They aren't. They're actually rather simplistic in their music and I feel quite boring. I'm not getting 'worked up' about other people liking Sigur Ros. I'm getting 'worked up' at the opinion of musical talent when there is barely any there, especially by a mainstream DJ like Jo Whiley who people listen to and, of all things, believe.

I wasn't judging anyone and I wasn't making out that people who like them are wrong. I believe it was I who said to Catefrances that I hope her friend enjoys seeing them live as there is nothing like seeing a band you love... Hardly judgemental. Trust me, some of my music taste is highly suspect.

Music is subjective but like it or not, there are also music rights and wrongs. Overrating music as being something it's not is certainly a wrong. I wouldn't say The Prodigy are geniuses, Prokofiev on the other hand... and yet, I'm a fan of both! I hate it when people don't see music for what it is.
    The point I was making wasn't whether people like them or not or how people feel about their music. I know Pearl Jam aren't THE most complicated and best written music on the planet but that doesn't discount my love for them and the fact that they're my favourite band. I'm not ignorant and I certainly don't believe what NME or other musical publications tells me... Not that you said I do. :rolleyes::p

A fanbase is not a way to judge a band. The Spice Girls had a huge fanbase and I think we're in agreement that they're hardly composers of the century.

Hope that clears it up :)

• JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    I think we have a new Echoes on the board.
  • i hold his opinion in the highest regard. :)

I have many friends like that. It's great that you can influence each other so much :)
    Has introduced you to anything you completely fell in love with when you heard it?

Jamie, I was stating my opinion, like you have done many times before. You didn't say you liked it cuz he played with a bow, I was merely highlighting the fact that people would see it as being 'creative'. He isn't the first mainstream guitarist to use a bow... I believe Jimmy Page did it many moons ago. As for playing a zither with testicles? I can't say I've seen it done.

I am 'bothered' because they seem to be being held as musically clever or different. They aren't. They're actually rather simplistic in their music and I feel quite boring. I'm not getting 'worked up' about other people liking Sigur Ros. I'm getting 'worked up' at the opinion of musical talent when there is barely any there, especially by a mainstream DJ like Jo Whiley who people listen to and, of all things, believe.

I wasn't judging anyone and I wasn't making out that people who like them are wrong. I believe it was I who said to Catefrances that I hope her friend enjoys seeing them live as there is nothing like seeing a band you love... Hardly judgemental. Trust me, some of my music taste is highly suspect.

Music is subjective but like it or not, there are also music rights and wrongs. Overrating music as being something it's not is certainly a wrong. I wouldn't say The Prodigy are geniuses, Prokofiev on the other hand... and yet, I'm a fan of both! I hate it when people don't see music for what it is.
    The point I was making wasn't whether people like them or not or how people feel about their music. I know Pearl Jam aren't THE most complicated and best written music on the planet but that doesn't discount my love for them and the fact that they're my favourite band. I'm not ignorant and I certainly don't believe what NME or other musical publications tells me... Not that you said I do. :rolleyes::p

A fanbase is not a way to judge a band. The Spice Girls had a huge fanbase and I think we're in agreement that they're hardly composers of the century.

Good post.

But if you accept the subjectivity of the matter then surely you can accept that what you perceive to be lacking in their music is the same thing that someone might consider to be their genius? The simplistic and unassuming beauty of their music is attractive to me, boring to you. I wouldn't go so far as to say they are genius but I don't care if someone else does.

My point is, with groups like, as you say, the Spice Girls being popular, is your ire not better directed at them rather than bands who clearly have talent and make music that moves a great many people deeply and you just happen not to like which is entirely your prerogative and I'm not saying you should like them. It's the idea that you are right and that Sigur Ros definitely are objectively boring and overrated and every Sigur Ros fan is slightly deluded about their perception of their favourite band as genius that I don't understand.

As for the NME thing, you don't have to talk to me about that. I despise that publication with every shred of energy in my body and would never listen to a band or artist purely because they have been pushed by a publication :)
    I have many friends like that. It's great that you can influence each other so much :)
    Has introduced you to anything you completely fell in love with when you heard it?

oh fuck yeah.

weezer's blue album

stephen malkmus

the forms

though pixies still elude me... and 2 other people aside from him have tried to get me into them as well. but so far... no dice. :)

but more tis the fact that hes open to ALL kinds of music... which just dovetails into my attitude perfectly. im kinda besotted by his musical mind actually. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    But if you accept the subjectivity of the matter then surely you can accept that what you perceive to be lacking in their music is the same thing that someone might consider to be their genius? The simplistic and unassuming beauty of their music is attractive to me, boring to you. I wouldn't go so far as to say they are genius but I don't care if someone else does.

My point is, with groups like, as you say, the Spice Girls being popular, is your ire not better directed at them rather than bands who clearly have talent and make music that moves a great many people deeply and you just happen not to like which is entirely your prerogative and I'm not saying you should like them. It's the idea that you are right and that Sigur Ros definitely are objectively boring and overrated and every Sigur Ros fan is slightly deluded about their perception of their favourite band as genius that I don't understand.

As for the NME thing, you don't have to talk to me about that. I despise that publication with every shred of energy in my body and would never listen to a band or artist purely because they have been pushed by a publication :)

yep... you've just completely missed the point.

I give up :rolleyes:

Edited. Reading back, my reply seemed arsey, though I didn't mean it to.

Anyway, I just disagree with you. If you don't wish to debate further, fine. S'going nowhere anyway :)

lol I got the point though, and it was a damn good one.
  • oh fuck yeah.

weezer's blue album

stephen malkmus

the forms

though pixies still elude me... and 2 other people aside from him have tried to get me into them as well. but so far... no dice. :)

but more tis the fact that hes open to ALL kinds of music... which just dovetails into my attitude perfectly.

Same as. I'll give anything a go... I tend to have friends who influence certain genres. For example - My housemate informs me of metal bands like Electric Wizard and Witchcraft, My Dad hugely influences my love for stuff like Jethro Tull to Holst to Gershwin etc (he's a doctor of music), my friend I used to work with had a huge influence on my folk taste and Audiodave got me into REM and Saul Williams. I love the diversity of it all :)

• Jellyrolls wrote:
    lol I got the point though, and it was a damn good one.

Thank you :)

• yep... you've just completely missed the point.

Maybe I need it explained again as well then.. I think J responded rather well.

And by the way I did notice that you referred to Page playing a guitar with a bow right after J had already acknowledged that, but had said that Page did so as a gimmick.. as opposed to the guy from Sigur Ros who simply admires the sound it makes.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Maybe I need it explained again as well then.. I think J responded rather well.

And by the way I did notice that you referred to Page playing a guitar with a bow right after J had already acknowledged that, but had said that Page did so as a gimmick.. as opposed to the guy from Sigur Ros who simply admires the sound it makes.
    Maybe you do. Read it slowly and concentrate.

I've made my point. I'm not doing it again. :)

Maybe I need it explained again as well then.. I think J responded rather well.

Sian, maybe you do have an admirable point and just didn't explain it in a way that made any sense to me and Mark or maybe my hangover is affecting my comprehension and you've made a total fool of me in this thread, whatever. At the end of the day, you started the thread and now you are bringing an end to a debate, which you helped perpetuate, with the old "I'm bored of this" cop-out.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

Sian, maybe you do have an admirable point and just didn't explain it in a way that made any sense to me and Mark or maybe my hangover is affecting my comprehension and you've made a total fool of me in this thread, whatever. At the end of the day, you started the thread and now you are bringing an end to a debate, which you helped perpetuate, with the old "I'm bored of this" cop-out.

Last word again Jamie? :p

I'm not copping out. I just feel that the post I made was clear and I don't need to explain it again.

I suppose yes, I am bored of this... maybe I wouldn't have been if someone could actually tell me what the hype surrounding Sigur Ros is and not just miss the point completely... ah well.

*leaves what could have been a good discussion thread*

• Maybe you do. Read it slowly and concentrate.

I've made my point. I'm not doing it again. :)

I don't get it. What J wrote was a perfectly logical and consistent response to everything you said in the last post.. He addressed everything you said in it and unless you want to argue that he didn't, I'm forced to believe that in this case, 'You didn't get my point' translates as 'I don't like your response so I give up'.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• *leaves what could have been a good discussion thread*

Would it have been a better discussion thread if we'd agreed with you?

• I don't get it. What J wrote was a perfectly logical and consistent response to everything you said in the last post.. He addressed everything you said in it and unless you want to argue that he didn't, I'm forced to believe that in this case, 'You didn't get my point' translates as 'I don't like your response so I give up'.

So how come someone else understood me perfectly? :confused:
    Stop jumping to the defense of your friend and actually read my post.

I give up because it's obviously not getting through to him... Jamie knows best, so fine. Jamie knows best.

I don't get it. What J wrote was a perfectly logical and consistent response to everything you said in the last post.. He addressed everything you said in it and unless you want to argue that he didn't, I'm forced to believe that in this case, 'You didn't get my point' translates as 'I don't like your response so I give up'.
    Exactly.

And Sian says I didn't provide any explanations for the hype surrounding them. I think "some people find their music extremely beautiful and that is their right" to be a perfectly sufficient explanation.

Glad to know I'm not as stupid and unable to follow an argument as some would have me believe. Cheers Mark! :)

Perhaps you missed MY points Sian? I know where you are coming from but nowhere in this thread did I see any reasons from you why Sigur Ros DON'T deserve the hype other than "I don't like them" and "violin bows have been done before".

As for the last word? Ditto :D Besides, it's a discussion board and we all get along here so why the hell not?