NIN new album available online right now!

Comments

• Tracks 7, 23, and 35 are so badass.
  • dcne200dcne200 Posts: 45
    I have listened to the free portion twice. Liked it a lot. This morning I bought the full deal and it is good, different, but good. During some songs I made up words to go along with it, which is tough to do when the artist throws their lyrics all over the music. If you like the MUSIC that is nine inch nails, u should like this.
  • dcne200dcne200 Posts: 45
    imagine The Fragile, With Teeth, and Year Zero thrown into a blender. Remove all the vocals.
    This is a perfect explanation of how this project sounds.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    redrock wrote:
    I've downloaded the free bit and will listen to it before I decide what to do. I think I've chickened out to buying the lot because it could be so different (I do like Trent singing!). But I'll listen with an open mind!
    The lowest price is only $5! Just buy it. It is so worth it.

Audiodave, as I listen I can tell its going to take me a long time to wrap myself around it - there is so much of it! He's also posted cryptic things on echoingthesound, so I think something's still up. I'm also ADD when it comes to something this voluminous - I'm having a hard time just listening track by track - I keep skipping around. I jumped right to Ghost 3 before 2.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • JaneNY wrote:

Audiodave, as I listen I can tell its going to take me a long time to wrap myself around it - there is so much of it! He's also posted cryptic things on echoingthesound, so I think something's still up. I'm also ADD when it comes to something this voluminous - I'm having a hard time just listening track by track - I keep skipping around. I jumped right to Ghost 3 before 2.

Where exactly on echoingthesound has he posted things? I'm looking around but can't find anything.
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912
    Where exactly on echoingthesound has he posted things? I'm looking around but can't find anything.

oooh, yeah...where??? i have avoided ETS because i didnt want to deal with any negativity (people bitching about the site crashing, etc)

i finished my first listen this morning...and i LOVE it. the idea of it being a "soundtrack for daydreams" is so right on. each song sends my mind in a different direction and knowing that each listen will most likely bring out something new makes me want to listen to it over and over.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    ETS is a perfectly good board. The mistake some people make is to go there and immediately start posting. My advice for ETS is read for at least a month, keep your mouth shut, and get the lay of the land before you write anything, and for God's sake do not start a thread until you know what you're doing. Its not like the PJ board where everyone starts threads all the time. It is an excellent well run board, and some very cool people. They just don't suffer fools gladly and they'll smack you down fast if you act like one. It is my favorite board and has been for over a year.

I am truly enjoying Ghosts, and looking forward to my long drives later this week.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    JaneNY wrote:
    True.. Done.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    JaneNY wrote:
    ETS is a perfectly good board. The mistake some people make is to go there and immediately start posting. My advice for ETS is read for at least a month, keep your mouth shut, and get the lay of the land before you write anything, and for God's sake do not start a thread until you know what you're doing. Its not like the PJ board where everyone starts threads all the time. It is an excellent well run board, and some very cool people. They just don't suffer fools gladly and they'll smack you down fast if you act like one. It is my favorite board and has been for over a year.

I am truly enjoying Ghosts, and looking forward to my long drives later this week.

Too bad this board isn't like that.

I got Ghosts last night and listened to I and II on my ride to work this morning. It's ok so far. Doesn't blow me away.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    Saturnal wrote:
    Tracks 7, 23, and 35 are so badass.

I really like 35 too.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I love 12 and 13.

I think this is the first instrumental album I've ever really sat down and listened to. It's quite a different experience to listening to a regular album with vocals. It's certainly more challenging, and definitely makes you pay more attention to the intricacies.

Love him or hate him, Trent Reznor is a fucking clever guy. Seriously, he has a better understanding of how people appreciate music and how listening habits have changed, than any record company could ever hope to have. Although the downloads were a bit of a fuck up, the theory is brilliant, and I'm sure future releases will run a lot more smoothly. I'm betting many bands will go this route.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    redrock wrote:
    I've downloaded the free bit and will listen to it before I decide what to do. I think I've chickened out to buying the lot because it could be so different (I do like Trent singing!). But I'll listen with an open mind!
    Me too.

The download finally went through for me. Comes with the artwork/screensavers too. Pretty nice freebee. I might not buy thought because it's instrumental
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • jezebeloriajezebeloria Posts: 600
    Does anyone know what will be available to the public when it is released? I went to buy the $10 2 cd set and the shipping was $6.99! :eek: Figure if that's what going to be released what's the point?
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Does anyone know what will be available to the public when it is released? I went to buy the $10 2 cd set and the shipping was $6.99! :eek: Figure if that's what going to be released what's the point?

I think the same thing will released in stores. I bought the same thing you did.
    rrivers wrote:
    I think the same thing will released in stores. I bought the same thing you did.

No, I didn't buy it because of the shipping...didn't seem like such a deal once I saw that. Listening to free download stuff now...very interesting. Actually perfect for all the shit I have been going thru the last week or so.
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    i'm sure it's been commented on b/c it's so amazing - but the artwork & pdf that even came with the free version was freaking great. very impressed by that.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
    r1vers wrote:
    i'm sure it's been commented on b/c it's so amazing - but the artwork & pdf that even came with the free version was freaking great. very impressed by that.

After reading your post I actually went and looked at the PDF stuff and you were right...amazing. Listened to the 9 song free thing. Some good stuff...kinda suits the mood I am in right now. I am a huge fan of lyrics though...
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

• lephtylephty Posts: 770
    this is some great music.. i love the detail he put into the song files. the little thing like the appropriate picture on each songs artwork that also corresponds to the "pdf liner notes" that has a brief description of who participated in the song.

i cant wait to start hearing remix.nin.com now. there is a lot that people can do with this music.
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    I'm not overwhelmed by it. I think it's solid and great music to have on while working but none of it really stands out. That said, I paid the $5 because I believe in this as a business model for the future. I think it was awesome of him to do.
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001

the shipping is crazy! part of the reason I didn't jump on the $300 package was that they wanted almost another $75 for shipping to Canada! yikes.
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • jb13lettersjb13letters Posts: 220
    the shipping is crazy! part of the reason I didn't jump on the $300 package was that they wanted almost another $75 for shipping to Canada! yikes.

I bit the bullet on shipping on the $10, but only 'cause I had $10 in my PayPal account already. So it only feels like it cost me $6.99. :)
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • I completely missed out on the 300 set, and I really want it. I will trade my copy of bennaroya for the limited set straight up.
    I used to hate Pearl Jam but now I see the Light Years.
  • SarahCanadaSarahCanada Posts: 196
    geez, stop whining about shipping. its no more or less than every other music release site on the internet. i paid the $13.49 for the cd to ship so now i dont have to waste gas in my car to drive somewhere and buy it.

as a business model its fantastic. good on ya trent for releasing high quality audio download files.
    I went to the concert
    And I fought through the crowd
    Guess I got a little too excited
    When I thought you were around
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    I like the wallpapers.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • I love it!!! SOOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN YEAR ZERO! The wallpaper is amazing.
  • Does anyone know what will be available to the public when it is released? I went to buy the $10 2 cd set and the shipping was $6.99! :eek: Figure if that's what going to be released what's the point?

From the FAQ bit on the site ..

Q: Is Ghosts I-IV available elsewhere?

A: You can also purchase the download from Amazon's MP3 store right now. The deluxe version is available for pre-order from Artist in Residence (A+R) as well. Check out their other work.

The same 2xCD you can purchase here and a $39 4x vinyl edition (on 130 gram vinyl in a double gatefold package) will be available at retail in North America (April 8), Australia (April 5), the UK (April 8), Japan (April 5), and most European territories (April 8).

Q: Is the musical content of the CD versions any different from the downloads available here?

A: No, the CD versions contain the exact same 36 tracks as the full download.
    ~i wanna rise .. and say g'nite .. i wanna take .. a look on the other side~
    rEd mozziE
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i listened to about half of it and i found it to be quite good. i was hoping for more of a "Driver Down" from Lost Highway type of feel but it's good nonetheless.
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    red mozzie wrote:
    From the FAQ bit on the site ..

Q: Is Ghosts I-IV available elsewhere?

A: You can also purchase the download from Amazon's MP3 store right now. The deluxe version is available for pre-order from Artist in Residence (A+R) as well. Check out their other work.

The same 2xCD you can purchase here and a $39 4x vinyl edition (on 130 gram vinyl in a double gatefold package) will be available at retail in North America (April 8), Australia (April 5), the UK (April 8), Japan (April 5), and most European territories (April 8).

Q: Is the musical content of the CD versions any different from the downloads available here?

A: No, the CD versions contain the exact same 36 tracks as the full download.

good news! thanks for the info! :)
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    go back to nin.com! he is elaborating on this Ghosts project with a fan made video "contest". this just keeps getting better.
  • camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    ultra deluxe selling for 1000-1500 dollars on ebay already, how many sealed benaroya's is that?
    i like sound...