NIN new album available online right now!

Comments

• Buwaaaaaah.... after *thinking* about which one to get I made my mind up hours ago and just can't get it. nin store doesn't like me, torrents take ages.
    and now amazon tells me I can't get it when I'm not from the us. awesome. anyone from the us willing to borrow me their address to let amazon think that I'm from the us? :D (it IS worth a try...)
    this album isn't meant for me, is it...
    Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your own home.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Buwaaaaaah.... after *thinking* about which one to get I made my mind up hours ago and just can't get it. nin store doesn't like me, torrents take ages.
    and now amazon tells me I can't get it when I'm not from the us. awesome. anyone from the us willing to borrow me their address to let amazon think that I'm from the us? :D (it IS worth a try...)
    this album isn't meant for me, is it...

I feel your pain! I still have zero per cent on the torrent download (not sure why I'm leaving it running really!), and no response from the NIN customer support people. I don't think I'm gonna get to hear the record today.....
  • I feel your pain! I still have zero per cent on the torrent download (not sure why I'm leaving it running really!), and no response from the NIN customer support people. I don't think I'm gonna get to hear the record today.....
    me neither - seeing as it's already 11pm anyways lol.
    this sucks, I have one song that a friend of mine sent me "because it's so awesome". I didn't even bother to write the support-people. this is so frustrating!!
    Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your own home.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Well after listening, I don't think the album is that amazing. Some good tracks but a lot of it just washed over me. Still absoutely brilliant of Reznor to do this though, and no doubt I'll begin to appreciate it all when I've got more time/baked.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    JamnPearl wrote:
    The download is taking forever for me...not very fast speeds. It will probably get faster later on in the day.
    took about 3 minutes for the store to load up, then another for 3 for the ZIP/save icon to pop up, and 20+ minutes for the download (the free 9 songs)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • i had similar problems
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Fuck! the download dies after 40% :mad:
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
    i had similar problems - i'm seeding this torrent at the moment:

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1214911

assuming that since i've paid for it and it's cc licensed its ok to post this here....

you and 3 other people according to bitcomet! Glad to see at least some people are willing to help us poor bastards out! I've managed to get 0.1% in the last four hours or so....
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    my download link is just taking me back to the Ghosts main page... am I doing something wrong, or have they shut it down for the time being?....

oh, and i just saw the picture of the $300 package.... oh god... it's so pretty... *drools* :o
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
    my download link is just taking me back to the Ghosts main page... am I doing something wrong, or have they shut it down for the time being?....

oh, and i just saw the picture of the $300 package.... oh god... it's so pretty... *drools* :o

No it's not just you, they are having major problems, they don't expect it to be sorted until tomorrow morning.
    No it's not just you, they are having major problems, they don't expect it to be sorted until tomorrow morning.

cool... thanks for the reassurance.... i'll try back tomorrow.... :)
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    this seems like a pain in the ass. a lot more difficult than obtaining in rainbows. i want to hear it, but i have very little patience and dont feel like going through all of this shit. how are the tracks, anyway?
    I'm at 98% of the torrent, it's like half one in the morning where I am so I doubt I'll get far into the album!
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912
    i love this thing. i will hear a track and think "oooh...this is my favorite"...and then moments later, think the same thing again.
  • Servers are down right now, but the torrent took only about 5 minutes...it has 9 songs or so. I'm 2 minutes into the first one, and I'm diggin' it already :)
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I think I'll wait until the server settles down. I'm planning to order the $75 one, but may also get the download from Amazon for $5 in the meantime.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • you and 3 other people according to bitcomet! Glad to see at least some people are willing to help us poor bastards out! I've managed to get 0.1% in the last four hours or so....

I've left it seeding this morning, and as far as I know it will seed all day from home, unless my girlfriend turns it off. It's nice to be able to use this technology legally for once. It takes a little pressure of the NIN server.

I listened to about the first 6 tracks while cycling to work this morning.... I really like it. It;s very different. For a lot of people it won't be their cup of tea, but I can really see this one growing on me. It's a completely different vibe to almost everything else he has done. Previously there has only been a few tracks on an album like this. I'm really interested to see what the response is.

I think the distribution is genius. Everyone gets what they want. Free download, $5 peace of mind download, CD, Vinyl. This is the way to release an album!!!
    I think the distribution is genius. Everyone gets what they want. Free download, $5 peace of mind download, CD, Vinyl. This is the way to release an album!!!

I totally agree, I also love the fact it came out of nowhere!
  • The NME still hasn't posted the news on their site...
    The NME still hasn't posted the news on their site...

Dude that's freaky, I was just about to post that very same thing! It is pretty weird, since NIN are a high profile band, and a new album with multiple purchase options is pretty exciting news. They're probably too busy with their tongues up the latest indie bands' arse holes!
  • Dude that's freaky, I was just about to post that very same thing! It is pretty weird, since NIN are a high profile band, and a new album with multiple purchase options is pretty exciting news. They're probably too busy with their tongues up the latest indie bands' arse holes!

My sentiments exactly. Like it or not what Trent is doing with the music business is groundbreaking. It takes some confidence to be an artist of his size and to go out in a limb like this. It is far more important for the music business than some one album wonder that the NME are touting at the moment. I'll go to see those bands and I might even enjoy them, but they are what they are - flash in the pan routes to a quick buck.
  • dcne200dcne200 Posts: 45
    The site is back up and running. I just bought the mp3 album, considered the CD, but it just seemed so cool to only have to spend $5 for new music.
  • dcne200 wrote:
    The site is back up and running. I just bought the mp3 album, considered the CD, but it just seemed so cool to only have to spend $5 for new music.

Buy both!!! The more successful this business model is the more likely it is to happen in the future. Trent posted the results of the Saul Williams album in terms of sales, downloads etc. I think he might do the same for this. By cutting out a lot of middle men, the Saul Williams album was cheaper to release this way. Saul got about the same cut as he got from his previous albums, but the number of people listening increased massivly. You could say that this was because of the association with Trent, but they also didn't market the album, so they are quite interesting figures.
    i almost broke down and bought the $300 set this morning. unfortunately, they're sold out. :(

lucky for my pocket book, unlucky for my record collection... ;)
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I bought the $75 version, and downloaded from the emailed link with no problem this morning. Now to get it on the ipod, in preparation for about 20 hours of driving later this week!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Question: if I download the version that is lossless, but you can use on itunes, can I burn that to a cd once it is in itunes? Is the sound that much better than mp3?

I'm just going to wait a couple of days until it dies down. I can wait a couple of days for new NIN, since I wasn't expecting anything yesterday at this time!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    Why all instrumental? I love the idea and kudos to Trent for doing this but, all instrumental?
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Has anyone listened to the whole thing yet? If so, what are your opinions?

I listened to it once today, and I have to say, i'm seriously underwhelmed. Don't attack me...it seriously pains me to say this. NIN are my second favourite band, and I adore them, and Trent's work. I love the fact that this was so unexpected, and I really admire the fact that he never repeats himself and does what he wants in regards to his music. I'm trying so hard to like it, but I just can't see it happening. I will listen to it a lot more to try and like it, but I just can't really see when I would listen to this.

That being said, i've still ordered the CD, as it's still NIN. :)
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    audiodave wrote:
    Has anyone listened to the whole thing yet? If so, what are your opinions?

I listened to it once today, and I have to say, i'm seriously underwhelmed. Don't attack me...it seriously pains me to say this. NIN are my second favourite band, and I adore them, and Trent's work. I love the fact that this was so unexpected, and I really admire the fact that he never repeats himself and does what he wants in regards to his music. I'm trying so hard to like it, but I just can't see it happening. I will listen to it a lot more to try and like it, but I just can't really see when I would listen to this.

That being said, i've still ordered the CD, as it's still NIN. :)
    I agree with most of this. I have listened to it twice. It is the best $5.00 I have ever spent, however I would be pissed off if I paid the price of a typical 4 CD set.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I've downloaded the free bit and will listen to it before I decide what to do. I think I've chickened out to buying the lot because it could be so different (I do like Trent singing!). But I'll listen with an open mind!