Cornell's new abum produced by Timberland?

13»

Comments

• ii44 wrote:
    There's a lot of people who like PJ and Soundgarden that also like shit like Lim Bizkit and Nicklebeck because it's hard and gets played on the raido.

Limb Bizkit gets played on the radio?
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • I hope he doesn't. Cornell is at his best writting intropsective songs like "Fell on Black days" or "I am the highway".

Well, there's nothing to say those old-school blues/soul/R&B songs can't be introspective. Blues and soul music is often pretty much concerned with that sort of stuff, or at least it used to be. Look at "When I'm Down" - one of the saddest songs CC ever wrote. And very much in that vein.

Thanks for the shout out, ii44. Glad you like it. ;)
    www.myspace.com/clareobrienwright
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • Odin wrote:
    He even made Jay-Z's music sound like trash!

No, he fucking made Jay-Z. Which isn't saying much, but still.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • locked wrote:
    i am the biggest SG and CC fan but his solo albums have been god awful..

I welcome any new producer..

and the people that make fun of CC as being too commercial have undoubtedly never seen the "Slaves and Buildozers" close to his shows..

No sing along parts there!

Just pure devil music!

If you just like SG and AS, and you don't like EM I wouldn't expect to like anything that CC does on a solo album. EM is one of the best albums he's ever done. Sure it didn't do as well as it should have because its a completely introspective album, but its one of the most beatuiful albums ever recorded. A true gem in CC's colection. If you don't like that one, I wouldn't get too excited about anything in the future. I really don't think he's going to do much "devil" music on his solo albums.

I for one can't wait to hear more news on this. Most exciting topic in music for me.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I'm amazed at how narrow minded some people can be. I'm not a fan of Cornell's recent album either but nobody has even heard this new one yet and already people are dimissing it, just becuase it's by Timberland.

Some people need to realise that music isn't just guitar solos and drum fills.

Will this new album be good? Who knows. At least he's trying something different.
  • I was thinking: Timbaland is damn good. I have both Timberlake albums and the music and production is very top notch for the genre. I was seriously impressed be all singles by Nelly Furtado, especially "say it right". Timbaland's own song from that year was bad ass for that type of music. He basically owned that year in pop/hip-hop. His hip-hop past productions include the biggest hit and best beats of the last 6 years or so. Clare posted that he produced Beck, and all of his albums have kicked ass. Wonder whcih album he did with him?? This could be very interesting. And Timbaland saying its his best work - this is very exciting. Plus, its a new Cronell album!!! I think there's no question it will be different than Carry On. I need more news.... soon. I'm already pumped and don't have much to go on.
  • halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Any word on a duet with Justin? :cool:
    Sure:)
    Two sweeeeeet boys:) - it would be a big hit!... i can see all these young girls crying on their common concerts...
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    tonadax wrote:

that is really indefensible.

Superunknown still rocks all, tho. and don't forget Jesus Chriiiiist Pooooooose!
    1. it's timbaland

2. nobody has ruined cornell except for cornell

3. timbaland production could only help cc's drearily boring solo work

4. however, cc is probly better off taking time off from music to join up with lenny kravitz and focus on making really cool jeans and commiserating over the difficulties of being really really ridiculously good looking (insert blue steel) together
    Sorry, but i agree. Maybe there's is no more music in CC's heart?
    halszka123@op.pl
    muppet wrote:
    I'm amazed at how narrow minded some people can be. I'm not a fan of Cornell's recent album either but nobody has even heard this new one yet and already people are dimissing it, just becuase it's by Timberland.

Some people need to realise that music isn't just guitar solos and drum fills.

Will this new album be good? Who knows. At least he's trying something different.
    Hmmmm... maybe U r right a little. Yes, it can be my narrow mind, that i cannot imagine how Timbaland which make so different music can cooperate and help CC make rock music. It will be a very big surprise for me, if they'll do it right, but i don't say it's not possible.
    If Timbaland will make new CC record really good, i will have to admit, they have a big music talent and they are versatile.
    halszka123@op.pl
  • The thing with Chris is that because he is always experimenting, never standing still there is always that excitement about his releases (whether by himself or with his bands). Whilst there are certainly other artists who attemp to evolve, the quality of CC's back collection means that you can never discount his ability to produce an absolute gem of an album.
  • halszka123 wrote:
    Hmmmm... maybe U r right a little. Yes, it can be my narrow mind, that i cannot imagine how Timbaland which make so different music can cooperate and help CC make rock music. It will be a very big surprise for me, if they'll do it right, but i don't say it's not possible.
    If Timbaland will make new CC record really good, i will have to admit, they have a big music talent and they are versatile.

If you look at someone like Rick Rubin who has produced many wonderful Hip Hop albums (beasties, run dmc, jay-z) and rock bands such as the Chili's and LP, and then also Johnny Cash.

I think a good producer is a good producer no matter what genre they apply themselves to. Timbaland is a good producer. It actually makes me interested in the Cornell's new album, because if it's like the last one, I will not buy it.
    NERDS!
  • halszka123 wrote:
    Sorry, but i agree. Maybe there's is no more music in CC's heart?

With respect, that's nonsense. :) It might not be music that's to your particular taste - but he's been more prolific in terms of music written and released since 2005 than ever before in his career. Four albums in less than four years, not to mention other collaborative things like the James Bond song, and he's been on tour for much of that time too. He's said several times recently that he wants to be writing, recording and touring pretty much constantly until he drops off the twig. Those aren't the words of someone with nothing left to say musically.
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • I actually like Timbaland and I think this collaboration will be quite interesting. I think Cornell (since he went solo) has become more commercial in general anyway. I think this is one of those mutually beneficial partnerships. I just hope Timbaland doesn't drown out cornell's voice in the production as that is his best feature.
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    halszka123 wrote:

Well, the album could be terrible for all I know. But at least he's trying something new - whether you think that's a reason to listen to the album or not is up to you. Although I am looking forward to this album. Shoot me, music snobs, but I freakin love The Way I Are and Apologise.

On a pretty different note, Cornell has been accused of 'selling out' - was he accused of this when Soundgarden released Superunknown in 1994? I'm listening to it now and it's almost radically different than the heavy, sludgey Badmotorfinger (and the other ones). With Black Hole Sun and Spoonman all over the radio, what were peoples perceptions of Cornell then?
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    I don't care for Timbeland at all, but I'll still check it out because its Chris...

It will be, however, the first Chris album (ever) that I won't be buying before listening to it.

That's a bit of a paradigm shift for me.

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • halszka123 wrote:

Can't find a Beck cd that was produced by Timbaland on the Beck site. A fucking bad ass song is playing on the site though. Sounded weird at first, like Beck, and is fucking kick ass.

What I know that Timbaland has done has all seriously impressed me. So this may rock or rock in a different way then you expect. The only thing I don't expect is for it to be .... may be non-edgy. Like I might say about Carry On.
  • muppet wrote:

On a pretty different note, Cornell has been accused of 'selling out' - was he accused of this when Soundgarden released Superunknown in 1994? I'm listening to it now and it's almost radically different than the heavy, sludgey Badmotorfinger (and the other ones). With Black Hole Sun and Spoonman all over the radio, what were peoples perceptions of Cornell then?

He was also accused of selling out when SG first signed to a major label to do Louder Than Love. ;) Plus ca change.....

Timbaland didn't produce a whole album for Beck, but he did produce Beck's cover of Bowie's "Diamond Dogs". Also produced several tracks on Bjork's last album, which I found interesting. These people aren't rap or pop stars.
    www.chriscornell.org.uk