Is it wrong of me to listen to Creed? (As a hardcore PJ fan)

Comments

• ViggoViggo Posts: 274
    After reading the article a user posted here, i have to say that creed is a peace of shit band..

Why haven't Eddie "attacked" them? He did mention Good Charlotte being crap... why not Creed?

And Marky Mark...
    It's okay, It's okay
    You don't have to run and hide away
    It's okay, it's okay
    I love you anyway
    2007: Pearl Jam concert in Düsseldorf (21. June)
    2007: Chris Cornell concert in Kristiansand (2. July)
    2007: The Who concert in Kristiansand (4. July)
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Viggo wrote:
    After reading the article a user posted here, i have to say that creed is a peace of shit band..

Why haven't Eddie "attacked" them? He did mention Good Charlotte being crap... why not Creed?

And Marky Mark...
    He did bash them when in Green Disease a few times he mentioned them and spelled out C.R.E.E.D. instead of greed and also singing "Course I know,.. then I dont
    Theres a stoway with my throat
    Its deceiving, this bands name is Creed."
  • From this link: http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/echoes/evkndd1.html

Andy: Okay, again, we're talking to Eddie Vedder 1077 The End. I don't know. I don't know if you're aware of this stuff, but while you were gone, we've talked to various artists that, well for example we did an End session with STP and Scott Weiland who had a lot of cool things to say about...

Eddie: With who? I'm sorry I didn't hear...

Andy: Scott Weiland and STP -- Stone Temple Pilots? Uh, just gave you big kudos. On the other hand, I don't know if you heard about our interview with Brian Marshall of Creed. We were talking to him and I asked him "well, how do you feel about people that compare or think that you guys sound like Pearl Jam?" and he said, "Well, Eddie Vedder wishes he could write songs like Scott Stapp." Was wondering if you had any comments on that or what your thoughts might be.

Jodi: Wait, are you asking him if he does in fact wish he could write songs like Scott Stapp?

Andy: No, not at all [laughs]

Eddie: I would like ... in order to wish that I could write a song like somebody, first of all I'd have to know who they are.

Andy: [Laughs] So you don't even know who Creed is?

Eddie: I, no, I've heard of the band, obviously. But I think I've heard maybe half a song, and I don't remember particularly running to my notebook or anything.

Andy: Right, but I mean, do you think they sound like you guys? I mean, do you find a lot of bands out there and you think, "Wow, what are those guys trying to rip us off or something?"

Eddie: No, I'm told that they sound like us. I'm just told. And I'm told by people who get angry at their radios `cause they turn it up thinking it's me and then they turn it back down realizing it's not. And,... I'll try and take the high road and say "They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" so, consider me flattered, it's fine.

Andy: [Laughs] Well, that's cool. No, that's good, it's cool.

Steve: But do you keep up on some of the bands of today? Like have you heard much about the whole Rage Against the Machine thing and how like their lead singer just left? And do you like keep up on those kind of things or do you just worry about your own thing?

Eddie: I'm keeping up on bands like Dead Moon and Sleater-Kinney, and this band called the Dirty Three that I saw from Australia, and bands that don't normally... There's not too many bands that... I guess that I don't really go to the radio -- sorry -- to hear some of the bands that I like because I guess that they're not there that much, or something, or maybe they're not on major labels or something. I guess either the tastes that I have are a little more eclectic, or the things that me and Matt Cameron listen to or me and Jeff listen to are just a little more obscure so, it's not... I find this music more interesting or more challenging than maybe some of the stuff that's on the radio.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    dane wrote:
    I have never understood all the Creed bashing going on inhere. Why can't most jammers stand them?
    Remember the band Deep Blue Something? They once said that Pearl Jam were for crybabies. I don't see a thousand threads about them and remarks about wearing their t-shirts to PJ shows. What has Creed done exactly?
    Hell, I bought their first album. It got old pretty fast, so I don't have it anymore. But if people think they're cool, thats fine by me.
    So Viggo, if you wanna listen to Creed or Nickelback or Engelbert Humberdink, it's cool. Others can't decide what's good taste and what's acceptable.
    I've never understood why unless its 1997 anyone likes them anymore. Scott Stapp takes Eddie's old singing style and exaturates to a humorous level..

"CuRt iRs in sursession. A veRRRdict irs irrn."

They are a stereotypical pop 90s rock band. Thats why most people don't like them anymore.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    They suck
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • They are a sucky christian rock star wannabe band.
    5/24/06 - Boston
    5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08 - Mansfield
    6/30/08 - Mansfield
    8/2/08 - Eddie in Boston (FRONT ROW!)
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Listen to whatever works for you. I would take Creed over Nickelback any day. I really liked Creed back in the day. I like to think my taste is pretty eclectic but I loved their first album. I have all 3 of their cds. The second one was a guilty pleasure of mine but the third was pretty bad. I saw them in concert back in 2002 and they put on a good show. By the way, Jerry Cantrell was the opener so what does that tell you? I don't put their stuff on anymore but some songs are listenable on the radio. Sure, Stapp is a dick, but the music isn't the worst thing I've ever heard. Hey, it's better than Simple Plan or all that pop-punk shit that was popular a couple years ago...
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Who gives a shit. Listening to some music shouldn't be 'right' or 'wrong' especially considering most of the Creed hate is from some whiney Pearl Jam fans who completely overexagerate. I hate Creed but the amount of negativety that they - and their fans, for some bizzare reason - get is ridclious.

It's funny, because Pearl Jam got its fair share of criticism back when Ten came out. I'm not trying to compare Pearl Jam to Creed but still, Pearl Jam aren't a special case or anything.
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Scott Stapp sounds too much like Ed-lite. I simply prefer the original . Creed sounds like too many other bands. I actually saw them once and decided after 15 minutes that I made a mistake. To get my attention , the muicianship , the lyrics , the melodies, something has to grab my attention. Creed went 0 for 3 in my mind. In a word , BORING!!!

But that's just me. Music is great because there are so many bands, music styles, sounds ,etc.. Listen to whatever grabs you ; PJ , Creed , whatever.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Viggo wrote:
    The title speaks for itself.

I can't find any arguments for why I should NOT listen to Creed..

Of course its not wrong. Nothing bad about that.

The pathetic part of this thread is that you asked the question.

Why don't you make sure its ok with everyone that you like Emo. Eddie doesn't like emo. Better make sure its ok with all the internet pod people.
    I don't listen to Pearl Jam... I really LISTEN to Pearl Jam...

I just wanted to know why there are so many Pearl Jam fans that are full of hatred towards Creed...

Is it true that Creed have sold more than Pearl Jam? I'm talking about their albums, they have all gone multi platinum...

(PS! I don't like Creed... anymore... don't kill me..)
    It's okay, It's okay
    It's okay, it's okay
    I love you anyway
  • Should someone (not) listen to Metallica because they have been known to aid the RIAA in the suing of music fans for downloading music?

Listen to whatever you like. Rap, blues, country, rock, oldies. Just be aware that where you go, you may get shit for it. Is the shit deserved? Probably not. As long as someone likes Pearl Jam, they're ok for this forum and that's what counts.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • tofatofa Posts: 51
    No, but seeking permission is. Do what makes you happy.
    Wembley 07
    "You'll never walk alone"
    ***** LFC
  • Should someone (not) listen to Metallica because they have been known to aid the RIAA in the suing of music fans for downloading music?
    i dont listen to metallica because they gargle nutsack... tho suing their fans is a pretty punkass move too
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • I'm not getting into an argument over whether Creed sucks. They just do, for lots of reasons. I put them slightly ahead of Limp Bizcut, but only slightly.

You can listen to Creed. I dont care. There's no law against it, and many people seem to.

Don't expect many around here to agree with you.

and Scott does a horrible imitation of Eddie
  • He did bash them when in Green Disease a few times he mentioned them and spelled out C.R.E.E.D. instead of greed and also singing "Course I know,.. then I dont
    Theres a stoway with my throat
    Its deceiving, this bands name is Creed."

hah! i need to find one of those boots.

I did get a bit of joy watching Eddie kick the shit out of Staap for stealing his voice on Celebrity Deathmatch once.
  • It's like scoring a goal on your own team in soccer

You just shouldn't do it
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • Viggo wrote:

I don't dislike Creed because of the PJ comparisons (though they used to drive me nuts). they have some good riffs and stuff. but Stapp's voice is just terrible and his lyrics are cheesy. they, like Limp Bizket, is a band that was popular in the 90's for about 3 or 4 years but now all you could is look back on them at laugh and the people who bought their albums.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • i say fuck em!!
    If you hate something dont you do it too
    world fucking champs!!!
  • camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    yes it's wrong
    i like sound...
  • In the context of being a "hard core Pearl Jam fan", yes it's wrong.
    You can't call yourself a HARD CORE Yankees fan and also like the Red Sox.
    Sorry, I realize it may seem unfair and childish, but that's just the way it is. You can like Creed and still be a Pearl Jam fan, but you're not HARD CORE.
    motel money murder madness
  • It's okay to listen to Creed when your watching The Office.
    9/16/96, 7/18/98, 11/02/00, 08/4/01, 12/08/02, 4/13/03, 10/22/03, 9/24/04, 3/18/05, 9/01/05, 9/02/05, 7/06/06, 7/07/06, 7/09/06, 7/10/06, 7/20/06
    7/22/06, 7/23/06, 04/07/07, 8/3/07
  • It's okay to listen to Creed when your watching The Office.

Only a HARD CORE Office fan will get this joke.
  • bdgavinbdgavin Posts: 123
    I hope you are kidding. I hope you really hate Creed and just posted this so that people would entertain you by telling you everything that sucks about Creed. Creed is a horrible band that is the antithesis of what PJ stands for. Therefore, if you're a hardcore PJ fan, you should hate Creed.
    1. They talk shit on PJ- their former drummer who was kicked out of the band said that Creed's lead singer was a 10x better song writer than Ed and that someone should teach Ed how to write a chorus. This was circa 2000 when they Creed was at their peak. The band apologized for the comments, realizing that most of their audience were PJ fans. I guarantee their lead singer was partially behind the comments. Scott Stapp right? He turned out to be an egomaniacal burnout. The rest of the band hates him.
    2. They did the exact opposite of what PJ did as far as handling their career--too much exposure, too many videos, too much partying. Their lead singer turned into a drunk.
    3. Their music is soooooooooo self rightious and annoying. Their lead singer's voice (many say it's a bad Ed imitation) is like nails on a chalkboard.
    4. Christian rock? C'mon.

I hope you're kidding and I hope I've entertained you.
  • ...I would rather cut my ears of slowly then ever listen to a creed song again. Scott Stapp is proof that god wants to punish humanity.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    yeh but Creed are NOT "one of those bands"...

It's not wrong that you listen to Creed, you can listen to whoever you like...

HOWEVER

Most people will tell you that they suck and should'nt be on the same Ipod as Pearl Jam

Most people don't give a shit about Pearl Jam, and probably would have preferred that Creed was in their Ipod during their heyday. Now, neither of the bands are in "most people's" Ipods.
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    I can't help hating threads like these...Creed is not Satan for God's sake and not worse than Bon Jovi, Justin Timberlake or Missy Elliot - c'mon people stop writing bullshits about Creed - you all should get bored by the constant ridiculous Creed bashing! Personally I would hate to read shits like these about PJ on other boards so please guys let's just FINALLY try to focus on music we all like here!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • Ricsard wrote:
    I can't help hating threads like these...Creed is not Satan for God's sake
    You sure about that?
    Ricsard wrote:
    and not worse than Bon Jovi, Justin Timberlake or Missy Elliot -
    In order from best to worst:
    Jovi
    Justin
    CREED
    Missy
    They're worse than 2 out of the 3 you mentioned. If you held a gun to my head and forced me to choose, I would listen to Creed over Missy.
    Ricsard wrote:
    c'mon people stop writing bullshits about Creed - you all should get bored by the constant ridiculous Creed bashing!
    Not me. I think there needs to be MORE Creed bashing.
    Ricsard wrote:
    Personally I would hate to read shits like these about PJ on other boards
    Any time i've seen Pearl Jam mentioned on another artist's message board, they've always been given mad props. I would imagine if you went on a Creed message board or a Missy Elliot board, those people might have something negative to say about Pearl Jam. But they clearly don't know anything about music in the first place, so thier comments should be dismissed as lies / propaganda.
    Ricsard wrote:
    so please guys let's just FINALLY try to focus on music we all like here!
    Not gonna happen. Dude, don't be the guy who comes on the message board and tries to talk sense into everybody.
    If we didn't focus on utter garbage once in a while, there would be no basis for comparison to show how good Pearl Jam is.
  • Viggo wrote:

yes it is...but seriously, whatever you wish to listen to is your choice.
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
    Who have sold the most?

Got this from wiki:

* All three studio albums released went multi-platinum.
    * My Own Prison went 6x platinum in the US.
    * Human Clay went 11x platinum in the US.
    * Weathered went 6x platinum in the US.
    * The Greatest Hits went platinum in the US.
    * My Own Prison, Human Clay, and Weathered are on the list of the top 100 selling albums of all time in the US. [2]
    * Creed has sold 30 million albums in the US, making them one of the top selling artists ever in the US.
    It's okay, It's okay
    It's okay, it's okay
    I love you anyway