I don't like Radiohead or Smashing Pumpkins.

AzwethinkweizAzwethinkweiz Posts: 547
edited September 2006 in Other Music
i've always considered myself to have a pretty decent taste in music and i'm often very picky when it comes to bands and artists.

two bands that i know many people love are SP and Radiohead. I just CANNOT stand either of them.
i've really tried getting into them, but with no luck. Whenever i tell people that i dont like those bands i always get this look like im a crazy person.

anyways, am i really the only one? anyone agree with me?

discuss.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    you may be the only one. I happen to love them, but more power to you for not just liking them because everyone else does.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • :( I love the Smashing Pumpkins.

I can try to help you like them too if you'd like :)
  • the thing is, i really like the music. it's just the vocals that put me off.

maybe i will the discover the magic someday.
  • CageyCagey Posts: 220
    I only like SP's Siamese dream album, and the odd track from mellon collie, other than that they kind of annoy me, Corgan can be a whingey, nasal, up his own arse kinda wanker at times.

As for Radiohead, well, apart from the odd song, I don't rate them that highly at all.
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • the thing is, i really like the music. it's just the vocals that put me off.

maybe i will the discover the magic someday.

Okay I agree. Corgan's nasal whine is agonizing at times. But I got used to it. It's an acquired taste. And Yorke's voice is seriously borderline emo in my book.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I really like the Pumpkins, but I could never get into Radiohead. Other than Creep, I really don't like much of what I've heard from them.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    i've always considered myself to have a pretty decent taste in music and i'm often very picky when it comes to bands and artists.

two bands that i know many people love are SP and Radiohead. I just CANNOT stand either of them.
    i've really tried getting into them, but with no luck. Whenever i tell people that i dont like those bands i always get this look like im a crazy person.

discuss.
    You're not so crazy there. Love them or not....no loss.

Radiohead is tolerable to me; I have some of their albums in an effort to "discover" their charm. It hasn't really worked for me yet but I can see why so many others might love them. I can hear their songs on the radio and not feel the urge to change the station....

Now as for Smashing Pumpkins...oh, hell no. And the main (or really the only) reason that they turn me off is Billy Corgan's whiny little bitch voice. I don't mean to be rude but that's the ONLY way his vocals can be accurately described and I simply cannot abide that voice. Never have, never will. No tears were shed when they broke up.

The music has merit, but once he opens his mouth it's over.

Now Melissa auf der Maur I can work with.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • I adore Smashing Pumpkins. I'm completly crazy about them. My favourite band. And about Billy's voice... I really like it. It's great. Stands just perfect in the musics.

I also like Radiohead. The early days of them are kind of easy to listen, but then they just get harder and harder, but they're always great. They have two absolute masterpieces "The Bends" and "OK Computer". Great, great albums.
    "Amnesiac" is harder to hear, but I also like it a lot. "Pyramid Song" is wonderful.
    Hey I, ooooooohhh, I'm still ALIIIIIVEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • If that's true, than no, you don't have pretty good taste in music.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • danny72688 wrote:
    Okay I agree. Corgan's nasal whine is agonizing at times. But I got used to it. It's an acquired taste. And Yorke's voice is seriously borderline emo in my book.

BLASPHEMY!!!
  • BLASPHEMY!!!
    Yeah i can understand how someone would hate Billy's voice, but Thom Yorke is one of the greatest singers of all time as far as I'm concerned.

"Make our day"
  • Fuck this post.
  • BLASPHEMY!!!
    When's the lynching? I wanna wear a hat.
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    You're not alone, Azwethinkweiz. While neither Smashing Pumpkins nor Radiohead "sucks" in my opinion, neither band does much for me personally. And nothing irks me more than when some musical elitist says, "If you don't like (insert group here), you have poor taste in music." Taste is subjective, and I'll listen to Gov't Mule and Year Long Disaster before those two bands any day. :D
  • Odin wrote:
    You're not alone, Azwethinkweiz. While neither Smashing Pumpkins nor Radiohead "sucks" in my opinion, neither band does much for me personally. And nothing irks me more than when some musical elitist says, "If you don't like (insert group here), you have poor taste in music." Taste is subjective, and I'll listen to Gov't Mule and Year Long Disaster before those two bands any day. :D
    and my opinion (also subjective) is that people who don't like those 2 bands are missing part of their brain ;):D

"Make our day"
    and my opinion (also subjective) is that people who don't like those 2 bands are missing part of their brain ;):D

I never knew that worshiping them as "rock gods" was a requisite for being considered intelligent. I have no problem with you liking them, but I can also see why others (myself included) don't find their music appealing.

Personally, I prefer The Smashing Pumpkins' music to Radiohead's. At least they rock some of the time. ;)
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    you just named 2 bands i hold as high as pearl jam.. the one thing that people who generally dont like rock say is the voices are too whiney.. but the songwriting is just too incredible and the true power of their voice is heard live.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • and my opinion (also subjective) is that people who don't like those 2 bands are missing part of their brain ;):D

i agree. its seems odd that you could like pearl jam and not radiohead. both are "thinking man's" music. 2 bands that put all they have into their music.
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
    bryanfury wrote:
    its seems odd that you could like pearl jam and not radiohead.

Not really. The difference between Radiohead and Pearl Jam is that the latter is capable of making songs that rock, whereas the former isn't. PJ is far more diverse and versatile musically than Radiohead. For every "Indifference", there's a "Go"; for every "Better Man", there's a "Spin the Black Circle." Etc.
    both are "thinking man's" music.

Here, you are taking into consideration only one aspect of the music: the lyrics. As superficial as it sounds, it is the instrumentation that initially draws most listeners; it is similar to how many people when seeking out partners look at outward appearance before considering personality, sense of humor, intelligence, compatibility, etc.
    2 bands that put all they have into their music.

I am sure many country, reggae and techno musicians give it their all. Should we liken them to PJ for that very reason?
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    bryanfury wrote:
    its seems odd that you could like pearl jam and not radiohead.

Its not that odd... I don't like Radiohead either. Whatever it is that draws legions of fans to those mopey ghouls I will never understand. The music is depressing and whiny and I can't stand Thom Yorke's voice. That weird dude is nothing like Vedder. The 'genius' of Radiohead is obviously lost on me and so be it.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • I dislike the pumpkins also, but radiohead is amazing. Songs like Let Down, Fake Plastic Trees, Street Spirit, Stop Whispering, etc. are just beautiful, great songs. Some of my favorites of all time. BUT, I can see how you wouldn't like Amnesiac that album is just awful.
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    I can also jump onboard with Smashing Pumpkins. I do respect them though. I mean I actually really like them, until Billy starts singing. Eeek! :p

As far as Radiohead though, can't agree there. LOVE them intensely! By far one of my fav bands! I can see how Thom's voice wouldn't be for everyone but I fuckin LOVE it.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Odin wrote:
    Not really. The difference between Radiohead and Pearl Jam is that the latter is capable of making songs that rock, whereas the former isn't. PJ is far more diverse and versatile musically than Radiohead. For every "Indifference", there's a "Go"; for every "Better Man", there's a "Spin the Black Circle." Etc.

Haha. Radiohead is not as diverse as Pearl Jam? "Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box" vs. "High and Dry". Need I say more? Also, just because a band can "rock" doesn't necessarily make them superior. "Rocking" is not necessarily indicative of quality. And yes, Radiohead has created songs that rock: "2+2=5" and "Electioneering" come to mind.
    I believe the children are our future... unless we stop them now...
  • Myxomatosis is heavier and more rocking than any PJ tune that I've ever heard (no disrespect to PJ). That song is killer to hear live. While I'm a bigger fan of PJ, I personally find Radiohead to be more diverse.
  • i've always considered myself to have a pretty decent taste in music and i'm often very picky when it comes to bands and artists.

discuss.

I love radiohead is my 2nd favorite band ever!! :D

Smashing Pumpkins are ok, but I'm not so fan of billy corgan's voice!! they have some great songs
    Pearl Jam Mexico 2005, The greatest year ever!
    December 9, 10 - ESTA BIEN, ESTA BIEEEEEN!

www.myspace.com/clau_yellowled
    Jerzdevil wrote:
    Haha. Radiohead is not as diverse as Pearl Jam? "Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box" vs. "High and Dry". Need I say more? Also, just because a band can "rock" doesn't necessarily make them superior. "Rocking" is not necessarily indicative of quality. And yes, Radiohead has created songs that rock: "2+2=5" and "Electioneering" come to mind.

This is a discussion about tastes and preferences, not quality. There are "talented" bands that I can't stand; moreover, there are "generic" bands that I listen to regularly. The majority of Radiohead songs I have heard were structurally slow and not heavy. There are exceptions, of course. Electioneering is a song that suits my tastes (if Radiohead had more songs like that, I would listen to them more) and 2+2=5 gets better as the song progresses, so I'll give you credit for providing good examples.
    funkymonk wrote:
    Myxomatosis is heavier and more rocking than any PJ tune that I've ever heard (no disrespect to PJ). That song is killer to hear live. While I'm a bigger fan of PJ, I personally find Radiohead to be more diverse.

Surely you jest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSI2ptJJK9g

That's heavier than Brain of J, Spin the Black Circle, Go, Leash, Severed Hand, Do the Evolution, and a handful of others?
  • Pearl Jam is not even close to having the same diversity as Radiohead. Whether you like the direction Radiohead took or not, they are a hell of a lot more diversive than PJ.
  • Im not really a fan of either but 'creep' is an awesome song.
  • Love them both..awesome lyrics great sound...was disappointed with the pumpkins live show terrible sound,solos were not right and Billy sounded shitty in a few of my favorite songs but I only seen them one time so I might have got a bum night ???
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me