whats the best band you ever saw live?

Comments

• funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    Rolling Stones - Moncton '05
    U2 - Boston 10/05
    Red Hot Chili Peppers (whenever I see them they kickass, I don't understand all the hate)
  • Nine Inch Nails is the best live show I've ever seen. Reznor is nearly flawless the entire show, there are no breaks, the stage presentation is amazing, many many visuals, etc. They perform just as well as Pearl Jam, and their stage show is obviously beter. Tool's stage probably tops NIN, but they don't perform as well.
  • I Am GoneI Am Gone Posts: 831
    Audioslave - small(ish) club in Glasgow in 2005 - they said it was the best show they played that tour - it's hard to argue - just rocking from start to finish, with a tiny Hunger Strike teaser thrown in for good measure.
    REMEMBER KIDS....

The Bible is full of lies - Stone is the leader of us all!
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    Of course, Pearl Jam, but others are...

Alice Cooper, Judas Priest when they played years ago in Chicago with a band called The Boyz, and Iron Maiden
    oh and I almost forgot, Everclear
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    my morning jacket
    black crowes
    flaming lips

all standouts for me.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    The Who by a landslide. Bruce Springsteen 25 years ago next.

Then tied for next tier;
    U2
    PJ
    Page and Plant
    Headpins (small Canadian band 25 years ago)
    Bryan Adams in his early days
    Van Halen in the Roth days

Next;
    Scoprions
    Judas Priest
    Accept
    Bon Jovi
    The Cult
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Oops, forgot to mention Wilco. Those guys are incredible live.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    1) Pearl Jam
    2) Sleater-Kinney
    3) The Police
    4) Drive-by Truckers
    5) Stone Temple Pilots
    6) U2

In order............
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    surferdude wrote:

Did it make ya feel like dancin'? :)

What a surprise to see that name on here.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    I'll go with the most recent PJ shows I saw in SF (all 3 were outstanding!) then go back to last year when Audioslave played at the Roseland Ballroom (?) in Portland OR........then go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to I think 1980 when I saw Weather Report with Wayne fucking Shorter!!!!!!! This was mind blowing jazz in the very best sense.....
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    Apart from PJ...

JANE'S ADDICTION!! - Ritual tour....
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    Explosions in the Sky
    Sigur Ros
    Slint
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Pearl Jam never disappoints. They are so consistently good. As is Springsteen, as is Nine Inch Nails. My top 3 shows to go to. Each of the 3 have their own flavor and good in their own way.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    Easy - The Black Crowes: 1992: Southern Harmony Tour: Salina, KS

I've seen them two other times since and both shows were very good, but I don't think any show by any band will ever top that one for me.

honorable mention:
    Wilco
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Willie Nelson
    and of course, PJ
    rock chalk
  • pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    For me, next to Pearl Jam, it's Shinedown. Amazing vocalist, amazing guitarist and a beautiful performance. They have the same passion and energy that Pearl Jam did in their youth. That and I also got to chat with them/get autographs and that was amazing. Found out they are fans of Mike McCready and the group as well.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    So many good ones.

Jane's Addiction - '90 Ritual Tour ---- And getting LAID many times
    Radiohead - '97 OK Computer Tour ---- Being VERY high and absolutely getting taken somewhere special.
    Tool - '96 Aenema Tour ---- AMAZING BEYOND BELIEF!
    PJ - '92 Magnussen Park in Seattle & November 6th '00 @ Key Arena in Seattle... Both of these were amazing shows in their own rights. The '92 one was at the HEIGHT of the Seattle music scene in '92. I witnessed them at their best back then, and I couldn't ask for anything better. The '00 show was the second night in Seattle, and you ALL know how damned good it was.... I've seen PJ about 10 times total, but these were my two fav's.
    Soundgarden - '94 - Kitsap County Fairgrounds --- With Chris throwing out this beautiful guitar into the audience (similar to the one Prince had in Purple Rain), and saying "Take care of this, its a collector's item", and it getting torn to shreds... I almost died in the mosh pit...
    Elton John - '89 - Wembley Stadium in London --- Had every single person dancing from start to finish, was possibly the most entertaining show...
    Rush at the Gorge --- '95?? Test For Echo Tour--- Neil Peart really does throw those drumsticks 50 feet in the air and doesn't miss a beat.
    Page/Plant at the Gorge --- '94???? --- He teased us with the opening chords of Stairway... At least I got to see this...
    Seeing & meeting The Tea Party at Musician's Friend in Seattle --- '95??? You could reach out and touch Jeff Martin's oud as he was strumming away to 'Sister Awake'. After the show, I kept telling them about my album review site, and how well I was reviewing their albums! At least I got to tell them they were a great band, and I hoped they always would make true, real music, always from the heart. Got their autographs, and a visit from Stuart on my old website :D
    Ani Difranco In Seattle '96 ---- Almost getting beat up by some chicks!!! :D

Those are some highlights. Ive seen many many others. REM in London. Alice In Chains. Nirvana. Robert Cray at the Paramount in Seattle.... All great.

BUT... My favorite is what I saw this past year at the Paramount, and that was Dead Can Dance. They were my favorite....

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • Fugazi
    PJ
    third is tough....maybe Motley crew
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • GeorgeinNYGeorgeinNY Posts: 113
    mojopin- wow you saw some pretty good shows, probably best list on this thread...
  • lateraluslateralus Posts: 111
    Guns'n Roses, Alice in Chains, Turbonegro, Tool
    13/9/06: Bern
    12/6/07: Munich
    23/6/07: Southside Festival
  • i've had to be very selective, since i'm not rich and live in the middle of nowhere. i've seen some of my favorites and would say the best bands live were:

Pearl Jam (twice) - probably the best live band ever and vedder could sing anything and it would sound good

Audioslave - most energy and cornell had full control and range when i saw them last year

Page and Plant - played a long set of 95% zeppelin, they had the power and precision of guys in their twenties

STP - my first concert and wow, i've still never seen a showman like weiland

DMB - like PJ they are an awesome live band and dave was definately on that night

i've seen some more, but those were by far the best. i saw collective soul and they nailed every song, but i'm not as big a fan and the atmosphere was f-ed up by all the young kids there
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • pj_zombie wrote:
    For me, next to Pearl Jam, it's Shinedown. Amazing vocalist, amazing guitarist and a beautiful performance. They have the same passion and energy that Pearl Jam did in their youth. That and I also got to chat with them/get autographs and that was amazing. Found out they are fans of Mike McCready and the group as well.

i bet they would be an awesome band to see. the singer may be a true talent we hear from for a long time to come
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Motorpsycho!!!!!!!!!!!
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Pearl Jam
    Aerosmith
    Velvet Revolver
    Bonnie Raitt
    U2

In that order.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Do you, thinking as objectively as possible, I'd still say, Pearl Jam, by several hundred miles.
  • Muse
    Sigur Ros
    Disturbed (really really good)
    06/23/2006 - Best night of my life.
    See yins in pittsburgh 2007
    Rock on steelers!

www.myspace.com/nickpc
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    surferdude wrote:
    The Who by a landslide. Bruce Springsteen 25 years ago next.
    Then tied for next tier
    U2
    PJ
    Page and Plant
    Bryan Adams in his early days
    Van Halen in the Roth days

Next;
    Scoprions
    Judas Priest
    Accept
    Bon Jovi
    The Cult

Hey SurferDude; Sounds like there are more than one of us over 21 on this thread......who did you like better Roth or Hagar???
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    GeorgeinNY wrote:
    mojopin- wow you saw some pretty good shows, probably best list on this thread...

Thank you, sir. Yeah I have definitely seen some great shows.

I wanted to add a couple:

The Who's 25th anniversary show in Birmingham, England --- '89??? Pete was first going through his Tenitis phase, and actually was playing acoustic throughout the first part of the concert. He angrily came out of his special little pre-constructed sound room and grabbed the guitar from the stage guitarist. Got a little too into it and actully lost part of his finger when doing a windmill. He shrugged and finished the song. Then he got it bandaged up and finished the concert. I was in the 5th row center...

Also, was at the Neil Young/Sonic Youth/Social D. gig (same one as Kurt and many others were at) at Seattle Center in '90. Few rows off to the right of the stage, and it was just really amazing all the way through...

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • Of course Pearl Jam

I've also been amazed by U2, The Rolling Stones, Dave Matthews Band, Aerosmith and The Who. Also, I have to say that Live sounds amazing in concert, but they just stick to the 'safe' stuff and rarely mix it up.

And finally, they've been mentioned in this thread before, but I also have to give it up for JANE'S ADDICTION. They were actually too good to describe. I can still here the awesome riff from "Ocean Size" in my head.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    Pearl Jam
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.