whats the best band you ever saw live?

SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
edited August 2006 in Other Music
saying PJ would be an obvious choice (since this forum is dedicated to them) so im gonna go with my other top choice which is stp.

i saw them in 2002 and they were incredible. they opened with a pink floyd cover and played all my favorites.

i also loved RATM- they play with such high intensity.
severed hand thirteen
2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• edigerediger Posts: 308
    Next to Pearl Jam, who quite honestly, as unbiased as possible, put on the best show I've seen. I would have to say The Tragically Hip and Queens Of The Stone Age. I leave every Hip concert feeling like its the best show I've ever seen
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    Mine is probably an odd choice, since I am not a fan of the bands music per say.

I saw green day at a festival once, they put on a great show. they sounded OK, and pulled a random guy (who I happened to be sitting next to, but did not know) up on stage to play guiar with them for a song.

It was pretty cool to see the guys face before and afterwords. It was memorable for that fact alone.

I also saw A Perfect Circle in a rather small venue after their first album was released. Still, they were no PJ, but they were pretty good. Better than tool live, I would say.
  • clayton12clayton12 Posts: 335
    STP, muse, my morning jacket.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Bands I will go see every time they are in my town:
    Pearl jam (obviously :D)
    Foo fighters
    Peter Frampton
    the Moody Blues (If you ever get to see these guys with an orchestra, it is unreal... just fucking amazing, seen them once with an orchestra and once without.... awesome show both ways).
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (all the people at the pj co headlining shows that walked out on Petty, missed out on a great show).
    Joe Bonamassa (a few on this board know who he is, a awesome blues rock guitarist)
    The Toadies were great, (but a VERY rough time in the pit).
    This is my list so far for see every time.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    No one compares to PJ. Not even close. Green Day also surprised me however. I wasn't a fan but live they are great. Probably the best would be Stones in the early 70's as well as Led Zep. Oh, and Neil Young. He is always great. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • feverfever Posts: 10
    fugazi are the best live band i have ever seen.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    bruuuuuuuce springsteen and the e-street was the greatest concert i have EVER been too .i went with my mom and we had seats in the upperdeck of giant stadium.it was night 3 of last 5 shows at giant stadium 03.it was so awsome.no lights on no pyro just bruce and the band rocking out.it was even cooler watching the sun go down when the show was starting.i can honestly say that,i dont care if i ever iam front row at pj concert.there is nothing that will top that.it was just so cool going with my mom.and when he did thunder road amazing. and songs of the rising u could hear pin drop it was so quiet when he did those.just 3 + hours of rocking out no encores no nothing.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• pearl jam and nin are probably the best bands i've seen live. seeing u2 later in the year so that should contend for best live act...we'll see. some have mentioned STP which is weird because VR is probably the worst major act i've seen live. they werent' bad per se just quite average, in fact matchbox 20 is a better live act than VR. that is not a joke.....
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    pearl jam and nin are probably the best bands i've seen live. seeing u2 later in the year so that should contend for best live act...we'll see. some have mentioned STP which is weird because VR is probably the worst major act i've seen live. they werent' bad per se just quite average, in fact matchbox 20 is a better live act than VR. that is not a joke.....

VR? I'm confused....
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    system of a down.
    i was at the edge of the mosh and with all the energy that gets generated from that, i couldn't help but get totally into it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • AC/DC Oakland, California 1985. my ears rang for a week.
    Can't you see that there's light in the dark.
    Nothing's quite what it seems in the city of dreams.
    (Wolfmother)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grand Rapids 2006
  • OneLove wrote:
    VR? I'm confused....

sorry...Velvet Revolver. just wasen't that impressed with their live show. maybe it was because it near the end of a long tour.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    The Tragically Hip are hands down the best live band I've ever seen, and they just keep getting better with age. I've seen them 23 times now, and they never fail to kick my ass. Gord Downie is quite possibly the most unique and original frontman in rock n' roll. His bizarre spasmodic dancing and cryptic mid-song rants are pure genius, and it's almost unnatural how much the dude sweats. Two songs into the set and the guy looks like he just took a dip in a pool. It's crazy.

Pearl Jam and U2 are tied for 2nd.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Besides PJ i would probalby say Wilco.

that being said i've seen great shows from my morning jacket and sigor ros as well.

Not to mentione seeing neil do like a hurricane is like an orgasm.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • The Fall
    Wilco
    Jayhawks
    Grant Lee Buffalo
    Elvis Costello
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    The best I have seen:

The Who
    U2
    STP
    Manu Chao
    Radiohead

Most dissapointing:

Chili Peppers
    Depeche Mode
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • caifan82caifan82 Posts: 321
    Rammstein.

You may like or not their music, but I'll tell you this: you won't get bored!
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • The Darkness were great fun. Just balls out classic rockness. Costume changes, supermelodic guitar solos, falsetto vocals, etc. Over the top overindulgence, but in a good way.

I've seen Wilco twice, and they were amazing both times. They aren't super-high energy guys, but there's something about the way they operate together onstage that's very compelling.

The bestest of the best has to the mighty Sleater-Kinney. I only saw them once, but it was in a small club, maybe a couple hundred people. It was fricking amazing. The crowd was so cool, not a douchebag in the entire place. Well, some scary drunks came in afterwards. Anyway, it was a wonderful show. What other band would let some fans in the crowd pick the entire encore?
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • The Drive By Truckers, if you get a chance go see em you wont be dissapointed
    Radiohead
    Wilco
    The White Stripes (Bowery Ballroom)
  • foo fighters were great (though I was a *tad* disappointed, I guess I was expecting more)

velvet revolver was awesome live, I remember.

queens of the stone age really rocked.

I really liked audioslave live, much more than I thought I would, I don't like their music all that much.

i used to love remi zero live.

I don't know, I've been to a ton of good shows but no one is ever as good as pearl jam.
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    Rolling Stones Sept 2002, Aragon Ballroom Chicago.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    the mountain goats.

in an instant
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Survo-Survo- Posts: 72
    I havnt had a chance to see PJ live.
    My favorite band to ever see live was Metallica.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    To be totally honest, PJ/Radiohead/U2 will always be my favorite shows to go see, however, there is one band that I also love when they come around just because of their live show and how entertaining of a show it is. Better Than Ezra. The music is great and upbeat, they have some great fans, and you can really tell that they love playing together and have a lot of fun
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Mogwai - by FAR the loudest/best band I have EVER seen, you have to hear it to believe it

followed closely by Godspeed You Black Emperor, Sonic Youth, Interpol, the Cure, Doves, Spiritualized and Broken Social Scene

WORST band - STP (Weiland was such an asshole....challenging people in the crowd to a fight.....in hindsight I can't believe I ever payed money to see them live - I was young and stupid back then) and RHCP (but it was a free show - so all I lost was precious time)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • In order:
    Pearl Jam
    Sleater-Kinney
    mewithoutYou
    My Morning Jacket
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    OneLove wrote:
    Mine is probably an odd choice, since I am not a fan of the bands music per say.

I saw green day at a festival once, they put on a great show. they sounded OK, and pulled a random guy (who I happened to be sitting next to, but did not know) up on stage to play guiar with them for a song.

Green Day does put on a great show. They're so much fun on stage and the music is actually great if you're into 90s punk. My only beef is they tend to play only radio hits and a few oddities. I'd love to hear Sassafras Roots or Armatage Shanks next time I see 'em (0/2 for both :(). I'd rank them third under Pearl Jam and Metallica.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. Fun fun fun even in Tacoma, Washington!

Paul Simon and whoever played with him in 1991. It was incredible!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Hot Snakes. I have never seen energy like that.
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    tom waits.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits