Counting Crows

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Yep; they always do that. I've seen 'em twice and they did both times. I like it - nothing's the same twice - but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

i would like it if they knew how to jam. but the last time i saw them it seemed like their idea of "changing it up" was simply to have a breakdown where all the music stops and adam repeats one lyric about 50 times with different inflections before kicking back into the song. they only played about 10 songs the show i saw, with each one being abouy 6-7 minutes. normally im ok with that, cos i like it when bands stretch out and jam. but not when 3 of those extra minutes was simply self indulgent and uncreative warbling from the singer. look to gord downie to see vocal improv or pearl jam to see how to really stretch a song out.
  • i would like it if they knew how to jam. but the last time i saw them it seemed like their idea of "changing it up" was simply to have a breakdown where all the music stops and adam repeats one lyric about 50 times with different inflections before kicking back into the song. they only played about 10 songs the show i saw, with each one being abouy 6-7 minutes. normally im ok with that, cos i like it when bands stretch out and jam. but not when 3 of those extra minutes was simply self indulgent and uncreative warbling from the singer. look to gord downie to see vocal improv or pearl jam to see how to really stretch a song out.

All fair points :) Nod nod
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    All fair points :) Nod nod

like i said though, i heard from pretty much everyone that saw them that the band was very off that tour. when is aw them several years prior, they were excellent.
  • This song Cowboys has really struck a chord and is pretty important to me right now.

'This is a list of what I could've been, but I'm not.'

'This is a list of all the things that I should've seen but I'm not seeing.'
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    And yet I think Hard Candy was a great album as well. I can't honestly see why people don't think that every CC album is excellent.

Hard Candy was a good album, but it's really hard to follow something like This Desert Life.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
    i liked that album as well. i kinda fell out with them recently becos i saw them live 2 summer ago and they were AWFUL.

They're touring baseball parks and state fairs now. That's band suicide. Artists like Boyz II Men and Billy Ray Cyrus tour state fairs.
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    Thanks for the link. Overall the song's pretty good, picks up momentum really well in some parts, then is sorta trainwrecked by Adam's self-indulgent lyrics (at times). Nice to hear some dirty guitar action ala the days of RTS. Melody is key with this group for me, so I hope all the time spent making the album yields some catchiness and memorable hooks.

Don't worry, they're not going anywhere. They toured parks and fairgrounds because they wanted to, not because they HAD to... You know, keeping in touch with the whole 'Americana' idea. From what I've heard, it was the best tour to see them on in quite some time (in the US anyway). Can't wait for them to get back to playing/selling out theaters.
  • uglybabouglybabo Posts: 520
    The other new song, 'Come Around' would do better on the radio than 'Cowboys.'

I think it would make a better first single.
  • When does the new album come out? At one point I saw Nov 6th but that obviously didn't happen.

As far as their albums.....I like each for a different reason. All of them have really great songs, good songs, and at least 1 shit song that I just can't fucking stand! But I let them slide on the really lame songs, cause when they are on, they are really fucking on
    When does the new album come out? At one point I saw Nov 6th but that obviously didn't happen.

January, yay!

Next!"
  • Supposedly you can get a leaked version of the new cd from this guy. It seems a bit fishy though because you have to download a google program and then email him to get a password to download the cd. I'm trying to hold out onto the official release but I'm not sure if I will be able to make it.
    "Don't lose your inner heat...ever" - EV 5/13/06
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    That was the first single from "August and Everything After" which was their debut album.

He was asking about "Recovering the Satellites" which was the second album.
    Ott is still mad about the suns getting whooped by the spurs in the playoffs last year. it clouds his brain! :)
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
    chimpat wrote:
    Wow, this song is really solid. I'm with you on the older albums, August and Everything After is one of my favorite albums ever. Recovering the Satellites was great too.......the other albums are okay but this new song reminds me a lot of the older stuff.
    hard candy was an amazing album
    btb002 wrote:
    I passed this thread without hearing that song at first. Good thing I revisited it. You always hear about fans wanting bands to revert back, i.e. Radiohead making another The Bends, I wonder if they do revert back, how would it collectively be seen. I know I haven't gave them a chance since Recovering, in fact Accidentally in Love makes me more angry than any other song ever.
    that's not even on an orginal album! (its on a greatest hits)

god when will people realize CC is still writing at the same level they always been.

btw the new single is terrible

kind of afraid all that time off is because he "lost it"
    drivingrl wrote:
    Hard Candy was a good album, but it's really hard to follow something like This Desert Life.

um yea hard candy is 10x better than DS

its not even close

good time carriage butterfly in reverse holiday in spain up all night are AAAA titles

desert life has St robinsons

thats it
  • NOCODE#1 wrote:

its not even close

good time carriage butterfly in reverse holiday in spain up all night are AAAA titles

thats it

I also like Mrs Potter's Lullaby, Colour blind and All my Friends and Lovers

NOCODE#1 wrote:

Wha... have you... are you joking, or are you being serious?

Next!"
  • drivingrl wrote:
    January, yay!

Actually, I just read on their myspace page that its March 25th.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

thats it
    tell em he's dreamin'
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
    Two songs from the new album availabe for downloading from countingcrows.com!

Next!"
  • drivingrl wrote:
    Two songs from the new album availabe for downloading from countingcrows.com!

SWEET... they sound good. thanks for posting. :D
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    for the original poster, I think the first radio single from Recovering the satellites was "a long december" at least down here it was.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • red mos wrote:
    for the original poster, I think the first radio single from Recovering the satellites was "a long december" at least down here it was.

It was definitely Angels of the Silences here in the UK - it had an amazing live version of Round Here as the b-side.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    it's been so long.....

I'm loving the new stuff on their website....

LOVE the new album cover, so much better than Hard Candy.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    red mos wrote:

In Louisiana I know it was "Angels of the Silences". I remember seeing the video and not thinking it was them because it was so rocking.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • uglybabouglybabo Posts: 520
    it's been so long.....

Yeah, the album cover is awesome. The photo is by Danny Clinch; a lucky photographer to work with my two favorite bands.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,056
    yeah been lucky enough to catch them a few times at the UK fests....

does anyone share my love of their recent tune Miami??
  • pdalowsky wrote:
    yeah been lucky enough to catch them a few times at the UK fests....

does anyone share my love of their recent tune Miami??

Yep, I think the whole Hard Candy album is excellent.

• it's been so long.....

What's your problem with the cover? The album was called Hard Candy. The album looked like a hard candy box. Cool, I thought.

• Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    What's your problem with the cover? The album was called Hard Candy. The album looked like a hard candy box. Cool, I thought.

Yeah, it fits, i just don't like loads of bright colours lo :D

Not a bad album though, can't wait for the new one, it's taken long enough lol....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton