Chris Cornell Solo Album 2

Comments

• yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    if you dont even know his name then why are you bashing him? at least know the name of whom you're trying to put down if you're too self-concious about talking about your own problems.

well, i love audioslave and just cant wait for their new album and this. great stuff.

Brad Wilk is a crappy drummer. Happy now?
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    GhostChile wrote:
    I really dont want to even know his name, cause he sucks anyway man.

Actually Brad Wilk isn't half as bad a drummer as you are saying he is. He tends to play it safer on record, but live he shows off a lot more. Check out this version of Bulls on parade live, fast forward to about the 4:25 mark if you don't wanna listen to the whole song, he kind of goes a bit schizo at that point and it is anything but average drumming to my ears. http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=CAEF2EE853824267

The thing is with Brad Wilk, he has a very different style to most hard rock drummers, and in my opinion his style very much complements Timmy C's basslines and the funkier (is that even a word?) aspects of Audioslave's music.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Actually Brad Wilk isn't half as bad a drummer as you are saying he is. He tends to play it safer on record, but live he shows off a lot more. Check out this version of Bulls on parade live, fast forward to about the 4:25 mark if you don't wanna listen to the whole song, he kind of goes a bit schizo at that point and it is anything but average drumming to my ears. http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=CAEF2EE853824267

The thing is with Brad Wilk, he has a very different style to most hard rock drummers, and in my opinion his style very much complements Timmy C's basslines and the funkier (is that even a word?) aspects of Audioslave's music.

Coming from another drummer, he is boring. And I don't need someone to do lots of fills to be considered an interesting drummer. I just find Wilk incredibly straightforward with relatively easy and uninteresting beats. Often some more simple things done in a creative way can sound incredible, but he's just uncreative to make matters worse.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

*reminds self to breathe*

Hooooooly fuckin shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • enharmonic wrote:
    As far as I'm concerned, they are no better than Nickelback. Perhaps better looking, but not better musically. It's the same weak commercial dick that America's been choking on for years.
    alright, that's just ridiculous.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • huahhuah Posts: 18
    HOORAY!!! :) How exciting! EM is my favorite album.
    Matt Cameron is awesome.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    ...Big news, not all music has to be super-intelligent for it to be good, there are plenty of quality mainstream rock bands out there who shouldn't be dismissed just because they write catchy hooks. If you hate them so much, why not start your own anti-audioslave thread where you and all the other smug pretentious pricks can congregate and talk about how good the latest (insert pretetious, unlistenable, wanky-art rock band of your choice here) album is, and leave us to it?

I have no problem with hooks. I love the Beatles, Zeppelin, most 90's music, lots and lots of metal, jaz, hip hop...you name it. If you think something rocks, that's great. If I think something eats balls...that's great too. I did not attack you by suggesting that you eat balls, but judging by the profound lack of intelligencce in your response, it is obvious that you do in fact eat balls.

I'm sorry that intelligent music is above you. Obviously, so is reading compreshension.
    I BrisK I wrote:
    hahahaha

nicklecrap better than audioslave...

whats wrong with you?

I did not say that Nickleback was better. I said that Audioslave is no better. There is a difference.

As for the difference of opinion on this band, the people who dislike Audioslave get mighty tired of it too. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    MCG wrote:
    Well that is just rediculous. Just because a band gets some radio success doesn't mean they are no good. Audioslave is a very honest and genuine band made up of some extremely talented musicians. Maybe you should be more concerned with the dick your musical taste is choking on.

I didn't say that they weren't good because they've had commercial success. I simply said that they are no good. If you judge good by commercial success, than toilet paper is also good, because it is a very successful product.

I'm talking about artistic merit. I'm talking about making a statement that stands out in a time when it wouldn't take much. People go nuts for bands like Audioslave, Velvet Revolver, Nickleback, Creed...etc...when the truth is that 10 years ago, they wouldn't have stood a chance against the average bands of the day.

What makes me ill is that you all know it, and accept it.
  • Audioslave is so far above the bands you've been comparing them too..

both in musicianship and integrity.

So you don't like them.. big deal. But the band is NOT in the same league as people like nickelback and velvet revolver. So much so that it's actually offensive that you draw the comparison.

"Make our day"
    alright, that's just ridiculous.

Prove that it's ridiculous. I can certainly prove that it's not. We could start with the recycled, repetitive mining of the same riffs and ideas, and go from there. We might then move on to how much they drive home that they're a new band with new songs (which is of course true), but whenever I have gone to their concerts (twice), the biggest cheers from the crowds come when they play the old music from their old bands...at least at the two shows that I attended.

Then we could compare/contrast the work of others who came up during the same period. It's all subjective, but there is measurable difference in the quality of work between a band like Pearl jam, and a band like Audioslave. You can hear it. Or, maybe you can't. I always listen from the perspective of someone who plays music, and that is admittedly different than listening from the perspective of just a fan.

Now, before everyone gets their panties in a knot over that, I do not mean anything negative when I say "just a fan". In fact, it is hugely advantageous to be just a fan of music. If you were a chef, you would not be able to eat food the same way as you could if you weren't a chef. If you were a doctor, you wouldn't be able to be treated the same was for your illness as a non-doctor. There ae expectations that you develop based on your own abilities and experiences that take you deeper into the experience than the surface...and by surface I mean the consumption of the product. I am not discounting the emotional impact that music can have...but again...your emotional response would be conditioned based on your ability to get inside of what is going on musically from an artistic or technical perspective.

To be completely honest, I envy people who can like something straight away...who can listen to a piece of music and accept it for what it is...even if it's just mindless party music. There is nothing wrong with that. But to take the position that Audioslave is better than anything going on right now, you have to be able to qualify it in some way aside from "because I said so" in order to have an opinion that matters to others...even people who disagree. I could agree with you about certain elements of their sound, and yet still disagree with you on the overall product...that doesn't make you wrong or me wright. It just is what it is. BUT, it is easier to qualify when there is some thought behind the opinion.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    enharmonic wrote:
    I'm talking about artistic merit. I'm talking about making a statement that stands out in a time when it wouldn't take much. People go nuts for bands like Audioslave, Velvet Revolver, Nickleback, Creed...etc...when the truth is that 10 years ago, they wouldn't have stood a chance against the average bands of the day.

What makes me ill is that you all know it, and accept it.

For someone who is trying to make a case that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, you seem to be contradicting yourself at times by stating your opinions as facts...

It's strange how Audioslave enrages some people so much and is loved by many others. Not many people seem to be in between... I like them, sure, and I have no problem with people who don't like their music or people who swear by it. But the debate gets old after a while. People like some bands, people hate some bands. Why argue?

ANYWAY, I picked up Euphoria Morning today. Only listened to the first few tracks though, I have to spin it some more before I make a first judgment.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    Audioslave is so far above the bands you've been comparing them too..

both in musicianship and integrity.

So you don't like them.. big deal. But the band is NOT in the same league as people like nickelback and velvet revolver. So much so that it's actually offensive that you draw the comparison.

Really? The sales dictate otherwise. To follow the logic that I must not like them because they are commercially successful, we could take a look at the number of units Velvet Revolver has moved, or Nickelback, or Audioslave. we could also take a look at the industry awards/nominations that each act has received.

What is your basis for assuming that the musicianship in Velvet Revolver or Nickelback is better than that of Audioslave? Slash will play any of those guitarists under the table. Matt Sorum would embarrass Brad Wilke. The only thing that Audioslave have going for them is Cornell.

Nickleback is a pop-music hit machine. What do you know of their integrity?
    enharmonic wrote:
    Prove that it's ridiculous. I can certainly prove that it's not. We could start with the recycled, repetitive mining of the same riffs and ideas, and go from there. We might then move on to how much they drive home that they're a new band with new songs (which is of course true), but whenever I have gone to their concerts (twice), the biggest cheers from the crowds come when they play the old music from their old bands...at least at the two shows that I attended.

Then we could compare/contrast the work of others who came up during the same period. It's all subjective, but there is measurable difference in the quality of work between a band like Pearl jam, and a band like Audioslave. You can hear it. Or, maybe you can't. I always listen from the perspective of someone who plays music, and that is admittedly different than listening from the perspective of just a fan.

Now, before everyone gets their panties in a knot over that, I do not mean anything negative when I say "just a fan". In fact, it is hugely advantageous to be just a fan of music. If you were a chef, you would not be able to eat food the same way as you could if you weren't a chef. If you were a doctor, you wouldn't be able to be treated the same was for your illness as a non-doctor. There ae expectations that you develop based on your own abilities and experiences that take you deeper into the experience than the surface...and by surface I mean the consumption of the product. I am not discounting the emotional impact that music can have...but again...your emotional response would be conditioned based on your ability to get inside of what is going on musically from an artistic or technical perspective.

To be completely honest, I envy people who can like something straight away...who can listen to a piece of music and accept it for what it is...even if it's just mindless party music. There is nothing wrong with that. But to take the position that Audioslave is better than anything going on right now, you have to be able to qualify it in some way aside from "because I said so" in order to have an opinion that matters to others...even people who disagree. I could agree with you about certain elements of their sound, and yet still disagree with you on the overall product...that doesn't make you wrong or me wright. It just is what it is. BUT, it is easier to qualify when there is some thought behind the opinion.

See, that was well said. No childish name-calling, no spouting of things like "the truth is, your music sucks." It's much easier to have intelligent debate with posts like this.
    DOSW wrote:
    For someone who is trying to make a case that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, you seem to be contradicting yourself at times by stating your opinions as facts...

It's strange how Audioslave enrages some people so much and is loved by many others. Not many people seem to be in between... I like them, sure, and I have no problem with people who don't like their music or people who swear by it. But the debate gets old after a while. People like some bands, people hate some bands. Why argue?

ANYWAY, I picked up Euphoria Morning today. Only listened to the first few tracks though, I have to spin it some more before I make a first judgment.

I'm not mad about it...and I have not made any claim that my opinions are fact. I could back them up with numbers, which is all the music business is about, but that's another debate all together...and even numbers don't consititute fact. ;)
    enharmonic wrote:
    What is your basis for assuming that the musicianship in Velvet Revolver or Nickelback is better than that of Audioslave? Slash will play any of those guitarists under the table. Matt Sorum would embarrass Brad Wilke. The only thing that Audioslave have going for them is Cornell.

I'm personally a fan of Tom Morello (I know, you probably hate him, as most musicians do). He's no Slash, but he has a different style.

Even though I like Audioslave, I have to agree with you about Wilk, though. His drumming gets repetitive and boring noticeably fast, even for my untrained ears. I really think they'd be better without him, but I doubt that's ever going to happen.

It's strange that VR isn't putting out better music. You would think with the talent they have, they'd be able to kick some serious ass. I personally don't hate Contraband, but it's no better than average.
  • Audioslave is verrrry often repetitive and unoriginal. True.

But the music itself is of such a higher grade than people like nickelback..

Audioslave isn't a terrible band, they're a pretty good band (with a GREAT singer) who have a guitar player who's never left his comfort zone, and the music suffers for it tremendously. But there's still a good band there, which makes it listenable.

edit: But I bet Cornell's next solo effort blows all 3 audioslave records away.

"Make our day"
    DOSW wrote:
    I'm personally a fan of Tom Morello (I know, you probably hate him, as most musicians do). He's no Slash, but he has a different style.

Even though I like Audioslave, I have to agree with you about Wilk, though. His drumming gets repetitive and boring noticeably fast, even for my untrained ears. I really think they'd be better without him, but I doubt that's ever going to happen.

It's strange that VR isn't putting out better music. You would think with the talent they have, they'd be able to kick some serious ass. I personally don't hate Contraband, but it's no better than average.

My friend, your ears are not untrained. They tell you that Brad's drumming is repetitive, or uninspired. Without knowing it, you have made decisions based on his performance of the music, and that is a highly developed ability. There are people who have no sense of rhythm or timing to know otherwise.

I don't dislike Morello's playing in RATM. I think that the vehicle for his style of playing was far superior to a traditional rock format. The same way that I can dig watching Buckethead shred, but can't stand him when he tries to fit into the context of a band. The same way i loved Weiland in STP, but think he's a douche in Velvet Revolver. The same way I love Warren Haynes in Gov't Mule, but he puts me to sleep in the Allman Brothers.

The one thing that I do like about Audioslave, is their stripped down production. They are a lean, muscular 4-piece. They don't over-produce themselves. Cornell writes a catchy hook, even when he's wearing the water wings. The guy hasn't gone deep lyrically since Euphoria Morning, but he still rocks it. I also think that Tim Commerford is a great rock bassist, and has perhaps grown the most as a musician from Audioslave.
  • enharmonic wrote:
    My friend, your ears are not untrained. They tell you that Brad's drumming is repetitive, or uninspired. Without knowing it, you have made decisions based on his performance of the music, and that is a highly developed ability. There are people who have no sense of rhythm or timing to know otherwise.

I don't dislike Morello's playing in RATM. I think that the vehicle for his style of playing was far superior to a traditional rock format. The same way that I can dig watching Buckethead shred, but can't stand him when he tries to fit into the context of a band. The same way i loved Weiland in STP, but think he's a douche in Velvet Revolver. The same way I love Warren Haynes in Gov't Mule, but he puts me to sleep in the Allman Brothers.

The one thing that I do like about Audioslave, is their stripped down production. They are a lean, muscular 4-piece. They don't over-produce themselves. Cornell writes a catchy hook, even when he's wearing the water wings. The guy hasn't gone deep lyrically since Euphoria Morning, but he still rocks it. I also think that Tim Commerford is a great rock bassist, and has perhaps grown the most as a musician from Audioslave.
    See, there's still a good band there :p

You're right about the drumming being a weak point, but (i'll say it again), i think Morello's formulaic writing is the true achilles heal of the band.

It adds to the music,.. but he almost never leaves it, which is bad.

"Make our day"
    I can definitely hear the parts of the songs that Cornell writes on guitar. He says that he picks up the guitar and will wrte something if a song needs it, or to help it get where it's going. The bridge in Like a Stone would be an example. There's no way that Morello wrote that. It's too good for that style of music.

I will give it to Tom, he's a riffmeister. He can write them as good as Jimmy Page. His soloing is a joke within the ocntext of this particular band. the beeps, blips and scratches were badass in RATM, because he was doing shit that dj's do with a turntable...which in turn elevated the art of guitar playing...but it just doesn't work in a melodic rock band. It really takes away from the music, and in some instances, kills songs that would otherwise be very good IMHO.
  • enharmonic wrote:
    I can definitely hear the parts of the songs that Cornell writes on guitar. He says that he picks up the guitar and will wrte something if a song needs it, or to help it get where it's going. The bridge in Like a Stone would be an example. There's no way that Morello wrote that. It's too good for that style of music.

I will give it to Tom, he's a riffmeister. He can write them as good as Jimmy Page. His soloing is a joke within the ocntext of this particular band. the beeps, blips and scratches were badass in RATM, because he was doing shit that dj's do with a turntable...which in turn elevated the art of guitar playing...but it just doesn't work in a melodic rock band. It really takes away from the music, and in some instances, kills songs that would otherwise be very good IMHO.
    All very true.

I can look at a part of a song and go "that's Chris" and it'll usually be the best part of the song.

Chris's vocal melodies have gotten outstanding (and made "out of exile" ), and Morello seems to be travelling away from the beeps and scratches into a more traditional style.

His solo in "getaway car" is gorgeous.

"Make our day"
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    Looking forward to this. Have been for a few years now...

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Now folks I will say Soundgarden was much better, ratm i thought was a joke and ive never been Morello fan. Audioslave i do like and buddy that compared them to Nickelback, dunno music at all, Chad cant sing like Chris. Also there guitar work and song writing isnt nearly as good.
    Now folks I will say Soundgarden was much better, ratm i thought was a joke and ive never been Morello fan. Audioslave i do like and buddy that compared them to Nickelback, dunno music at all, Chad cant sing like Chris. Also there guitar work and song writing isnt nearly as good.

I'm not going to bore anyone with what I do or do not know about music. I will say that the personal attacks reveal a lot about you, however.

Chris can't even sing like Chris. Their "guitar work" is comparable, but different. They both write big riffs, and the Nickleback guys show at least a basic understanding of melodic guitar soloing. I don't like either band much as a whole, so to me they are similar in that they are uninspiring, tired, and part of the reason why radio is all but unlistenable to me anymore.
    enharmonic wrote:
    the beeps, blips and scratches were badass in RATM, because he was doing shit that dj's do with a turntable...which in turn elevated the art of guitar playing...but it just doesn't work in a melodic rock band.

It's funny you mention that, because a little after we were done talking about Brad Wilk, it dawned on me that Wilk's drumming is the same way... it worked great in Rage because it fit the rap aspect of the music. But drumming in straight-ahead rock n' roll needs to be much more varied to keep things interesting.
    DOSW wrote:
    It's funny you mention that, because a little after we were done talking about Brad Wilk, it dawned on me that Wilk's drumming is the same way... it worked great in Rage because it fit the rap aspect of the music. But drumming in straight-ahead rock n' roll needs to be much more varied to keep things interesting.

He doesn't have the touch for it...the subtlety...the nuance. Then again, we're all spoiled by Matt Cameron, Jack Irons, and Dave Abruzzese :D Not to mention Danny Carey, Jimmy Chamberlain, Matt Chamberlain, Josh Freese, or Dave Grohl for that matter.

Brad is a badass drummer in the hip-hop vein, but then you have cats like ?uest Love that just make him look like a fool
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,239
    yeah, i remember when that first record came out. i had hoped it was an album of stuff like "seasons" or "sunshower." it was a big suprise. cool record regardless, though i'd love to see a more acoustic record.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mike_s_6mike_s_6 Posts: 160
    if you dont even know his name then why are you bashing him? at least know the name of whom you're trying to put down if you're too self-concious about talking about your own problems.

well, i love audioslave and just cant wait for their new album and this. great stuff.

Brad Wilk. The rest are Tom Morello, Tim Commerford. There is a reason I didn't put his name.
  • mike_s_6mike_s_6 Posts: 160
    Guys, can we stop arguing about the whole Audioslave thing? I know I started ranting, but... can't you guys just make another thread if you want to debate about it? This is the new Chris Cornell Album thread!

The best thing about this news... is that it came almost without prior notice! Even Audioslave pessimists thought that there would be a fourth album with bad sales and THEN Chris will put out another solo record.

Anyway, *hoots*

I wonder when the line-up for this project will be revealed. I'm excited! I want Matt to drum for Chris again :)
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    enharmonic wrote:
    I have no problem with hooks. I love the Beatles, Zeppelin, most 90's music, lots and lots of metal, jaz, hip hop...you name it. If you think something rocks, that's great. If I think something eats balls...that's great too. I did not attack you by suggesting that you eat balls, but judging by the profound lack of intelligencce in your response, it is obvious that you do in fact eat balls.

I'm sorry that intelligent music is above you. Obviously, so is reading compreshension.

Once again your smugness has got the better of you, you made an inflammatory remark and didn't expect some sort of response, deary, deary me..... And please if you wanna have a dig at Audioslave for being average, it's best not to bring the Beatles - the most overrated band of all time - into the equation.

Talk about ignoring the point I was making anyway. Let me try again.....So if we take a look at the current mainstream rock landscape who are the big hitters? Nickelback, My chemical romance, Panic at the disco, Dashboard confessional, Fall out boy, All american rejects, Taking back sunday, Angels and airwaves, Buckcherry, Atreyu, Franz Ferdinand, Bon fucking Jovi - this list could go on for a while, but if you don't think that Audioslave are making better music than most of these 'current' bands I'm seriously stunned. Of course AS aren't as good as Soundgarden/RATM, but if those bands were still together now, would they be as good as they were in the earlier part of their careers? I doubt it. Listening to their new single, it shows they are keen to let their sound evolve, experimenting with different styles and still making catchy (and if you listen to the lyrics) thought provoking music. My point being, that Audioslave are a solid mainstream hard rock band that operate on a higher level than most of their current contemporaries - nothing more nothing less.

Re: the intelligent music thing, my favourite albums of this year have been, in no particular order: Twilight Singers - Powder Burns, Tool - 10,000 days, Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam, Muse - Black holes and revalations - none of which I would consider unintelligent. Also I had no problem comprehending your post, I just gave a reply that was as acerbic as your original post.