Who likes Incubus?

Comments

• iamrockmusiciamrockmusic Posts: 443
    incubus is a great band, but they do leave a little to be desired live.

i did read that part of why they chose brendan o'brien as the producer for 'a crow left of the murder' was because they liked what he had done with pj and other bands. i guess the dudes in incubus are pj fans. pretty cool
    Mesa 11/7/93 - Charlotte 10/4/96 - DC 6/14/98 - Raleigh 8/31/98 - Knoxville 9/6/98 - Columbia MD 9/18/98 - DC 9/19/98 - Columbia MD 9/4/00 - Phoenix 10/21/00 - Raleigh 4/15/03 - Phoenix 6/7/03 - Philadelphia 5/27&28/06 - DC 5/30/06 - Las Vegas 7/6/06 - San Diego 7/7/06 - LA 7/9&10/06 - Gorge 7/22&23/06 - Chicago 8/5/07 - PJ20 9/3&4/11 - Jacksonville 11/24/12 (EV) - Orlando 11/27/12 (EV) - Brooklyn 10/18&19/13 - Charlotte 10/30/13 - Memphis 10/14/14 - Ft Lauderdale 4/8/16 - Miami 4/9/16 - Jacksonville 4/13/16 - Hampton 4/18/16 - Chicago 8/20&22/16
  • dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    Toshala wrote:
    and I don't understand why someone would lose respect for a band cos their singer did a GAP commercial. ?????

well....pretty boys don't hold much cred in the rock world. i mean there's good looking and there's pretty boys on display, you know?

JMHO

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • pr4mojo1pr4mojo1 Posts: 102
    Satan. That's who likes Incubus.
    09/12/92-Irvine, 11/05/93-Indio, 06/24/95-San Fran, 11/06/95-SD, 11/07/95-SD, 7/13/98-LA, 07/14/98-LA, 10/25/00-SD, 10/28/00-Devore, 06/02/03-Irvine, 06/05/03-SD, 06/06/03-LV, 10/28/03-Santa Barbara, 09/02/05-Vancouver, 06/24/06-Cincy, 07/06/06-LV, 07/07/06-SD, 07/09/06-LA, 07/10/06-LA, 07/13/06-SB
  • dangerboy wrote:
    well....pretty boys don't hold much cred in the rock world. i mean there's good looking and there's pretty boys on display, you know?

JMHO

He did a Gap commercial , yeah sure but honestly this selling out rubbish doesnt bother me..make a good album ill buy it, and ill come see you live. Make a piece of shit coz you were too busy making money elsewhere to care, then I wont. The only "pretty boy" in Incubus is Brandon. Nice post Toshala, all good points.
    And everyone knows Satan is more of a Tenacious D fan.
    Its been 8 years, but I still believe...PJ in NZ 06!

"No matter how cold the winter, theres a springtime ahead'
  • incubus is a great band, but they do leave a little to be desired live.

i did read that part of why they chose brendan o'brien as the producer for 'a crow left of the murder' was because they liked what he had done with pj and other bands. i guess the dudes in incubus are pj fans. pretty cool

If you aren't good live, you are not a band. That is the Litmus test for bands. How the fuck can you call yourself a musician if you can't play live? I can think of a few names of bands/'artists' that can say they're good in the studio but not live. I will cut myself off at one minute. Here we go:

britney spears
    aguilera
    backstreet boys
    new kids
    candlebox
    four non blonds
    live (i actually flew to CO to see them at Red Rocks in 97 or 98--fucking pathetic--also I stopped the clock for that note)
    eagles
    chicago
    journey
    asia
    duran duran
    pet shop boys
    george michael
    wham
    culture club

WOULD YOU WANT TO BE ANYWHERE NEAR THAT LIST????
  • iamrockmusiciamrockmusic Posts: 443
    If you aren't good live, you are not a band. That is the Litmus test for bands. How the fuck can you call yourself a musician if you can't play live? I can think of a few names of bands/'artists' that can say they're good in the studio but not live. I will cut myself off at one minute. Here we go:

britney spears
    aguilera
    backstreet boys
    new kids
    candlebox
    four non blonds
    live (i actually flew to CO to see them at Red Rocks in 97 or 98--fucking pathetic--also I stopped the clock for that note)
    eagles
    chicago
    journey
    asia
    duran duran
    pet shop boys
    george michael
    wham
    culture club

WOULD YOU WANT TO BE ANYWHERE NEAR THAT LIST????

respectfully, i disagree. i think a finished studio recording is a piece of art in and of itself. and as a musician, i respect that. there are lots of bands that don't carry over as well live, but i don't think that means they're not a band. it just means that their talents and strengths are realized with the aid of controlling the sound more. yes, i respect bands that can translate over live even more. but i don't think that all of the bands (many, but not all) in your list above totally suck. example: i seriously love duran duran's records, but i would never go see them live. wait, i actually did, and they sounded ok, but i didn't expect them to be dead on... i guess that's just it. it depends on what you realistically expect. but i can name 20 songs that pj plays live very differently from how they were originally recorded. doesn't diminish it for me at all... gives a different feel, which i like...
    Mesa 11/7/93 - Charlotte 10/4/96 - DC 6/14/98 - Raleigh 8/31/98 - Knoxville 9/6/98 - Columbia MD 9/18/98 - DC 9/19/98 - Columbia MD 9/4/00 - Phoenix 10/21/00 - Raleigh 4/15/03 - Phoenix 6/7/03 - Philadelphia 5/27&28/06 - DC 5/30/06 - Las Vegas 7/6/06 - San Diego 7/7/06 - LA 7/9&10/06 - Gorge 7/22&23/06 - Chicago 8/5/07 - PJ20 9/3&4/11 - Jacksonville 11/24/12 (EV) - Orlando 11/27/12 (EV) - Brooklyn 10/18&19/13 - Charlotte 10/30/13 - Memphis 10/14/14 - Ft Lauderdale 4/8/16 - Miami 4/9/16 - Jacksonville 4/13/16 - Hampton 4/18/16 - Chicago 8/20&22/16
  • enjoycodyenjoycody Posts: 1
    i've seen Incubus 10 times amazing live show with a lot of heart behind their music...

~Cheers
  • Eagles is a poor choice to put on that list.

• RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    Um and Pearl Jam never spawned clones?

See "Creed" and "Candlebox"

DON'T forget fuckin' BUSH!!! Of course I honestly prefer the band to that retarded leader:)
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
    For me MAKE YOURSELF:) is Incubus...that is a brilliant record of greatly written and produced songs...the rest is just...good IMHO:(
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
  • lance_graylance_gray Posts: 166
    I saw them in OKC a few years ago. It was a really good show.
    Dallas '98 - Dallas '00 - OKC '03 - Dallas '03

www.myspace.com/lance_gray

www.bonafidedarling.com
  • I think Incubus puts on a great live show, personally, and I love their music.

Whether or not I think Pearl Jam likes them or approves of them is irrelevant to me. I'm not watching them or listening to them through Eddie's eyes or ears.

And seriously, if you think the guys in PJ, as much as we put them up on a pedestal -- and one that is deserved, no doubt about it -- are sitting around saying, "Man, I hope our fans aren't also fans of Incubus/Bush/Live/Fall Out Boy/etc.," you guys are nuts.

We like who we like. There shouldn't be a need to apologize for it or make excuses for it.
    "Tried to walk, found a severed ... Matt???"
  • grace6697grace6697 Posts: 1,191
    if you like incubus, please be smart enough to not admit it.

thanks,
    the management.
    take your money and your drugs.
  • grace6697 wrote:

thanks,
    the management.

Piss off, seriously. The thread title is 'who likes Incubus' not 'who doesnt like Incubus and wants to be a smart ass'

Woe be tide that some people make their musical decisions on what sounds good to them, not what other people will or will not give them shit for. People who say 'be smart enough to not admit it' or 'dont be the guy who wears the bands tshirt' etc are complete fuckin tools. If I liked Creed/Nickleback/Good Charlotte/Kelly Clarkson or anyone like that, id be happy to admit it.

• grace6697 wrote:

thanks,
    the management.

Piss off, seriously. The thread title is 'who likes Incubus' not 'who doesnt like Incubus and wants to be a smart ass'

Woe be tide that some people make their musical decisions on what sounds good to them, not what other people will or will not give them shit for. People who say 'be smart enough to not admit it' or 'dont be the guy who wears the bands tshirt' etc are complete fuckin tools. If I liked Creed/Nickleback/Good Charlotte/Kelly Clarkson or anyone like that, id be happy to admit it.

• Listening to Morning View right now....great CD
    'had my eyes peeled both wide open, and i got a glimpse of my innocence... got back my inner sense...'

Chic '95
    Toledo '96
    Cleve '98
    Jones Beach III '00
    Det '00
    Pitt '00
    State Coll '03
    Cleve '03
    Pitt '03
    Bos III '03
    Tor '05
    Chic II '06
    Cleve '06
    Pitt '06
  • Listening to Morning View right now....great CD

As am I, its great to have the DVD too and actually get to see what the process was , ala SVT.
    Also really getting into ACLOTM, I know it was a bit rushed but thats still one of my favs at the moment.

• skinnylegsskinnylegs Posts: 112
    Toshala wrote:
    I like them........have all the cds plus Live in Japan, the dvd of Live at Red Rock and I WISH I WAS THERE!!!! After seeing PJ all 3 nites in SF I'm still high but I dig Incubus.....a lot.....true, Mike E is underappreciated.....he does a short sweet solo on Priceless off ACLOM and it kicks nicely.....But Mike M is THE MAN in my book. I've seen them at Bridge and Lolla and thought they had great energy......and I don't understand why someone would lose respect for a band cos their singer did a GAP commercial. ?????

How could you NOT lose respect for a rock star doing a commercial for a major corporation? How rock 'n roll is that? I mean if Pearl Jam started using their songs in Coke commercials I of course just couldn't turn off my love for their music like a switch, but I would indeed lose a lot of respect for them.
    C'mon where is your punk rock attitude?
    "Those who dance are called insane by people who don't hear the music."
  • skinnylegs wrote:
    How could you NOT lose respect for a rock star doing a commercial for a major corporation? How rock 'n roll is that? I mean if Pearl Jam started using their songs in Coke commercials I of course just couldn't turn off my love for their music like a switch, but I would indeed lose a lot of respect for them.

Come on people, who are we to judge who does what?? If any of us were in a successful rock band and someone liked the way we looked and wanted us to appear in a commercial for some extra dough, who wouldn’t do that?? I never thought PJ would do a show like Storytellers and they did….who cares. Does wearing some gap jeans make your music sound less attractive….hell, according to Sharon Osbourne, every PJ fan and their mother wears Gap!!

Jeff Ament wears men’s Capri pants for Christ sake!! That is not punk rock!
    'had my eyes peeled both wide open, and i got a glimpse of my innocence... got back my inner sense...'

Chic '95
    Toledo '96
    Cleve '98
    Jones Beach III '00
    Det '00
    Pitt '00
    State Coll '03
    Cleve '03
    Pitt '03
    Bos III '03
    Tor '05
    Chic II '06
    Cleve '06
    Pitt '06
  • falconfalcon Posts: 163
    They are good songwriters, which is very rare for their generation.
    MANSFIELD 7/3/03, 7/11/03
    BOSTON 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    HARTFORD 5/13/06
    BOSTON 5/24/06
    MANSFIELD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    EV BOSTON 8/1/08, 8/2/08
    CHICAGO 8/24/09
    HARTFORD 5/15/10
    BOSTON 5/17/10
    EV PROV 6/15/11
    WORCESTER 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HARTFORD 10/25/13
  • dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    Ricsard wrote:
    DON'T forget fuckin' BUSH!!! Of course I honestly prefer the band to that retarded leader:)

bush is a nirvana clone, not a pearl jam clone....

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged

• Jeff Ament wears men’s Capri pants for Christ sake!! That is not punk rock!

Haha.They're called 3/4 pants when men wear em. Like Kevin Smith. It's probaly best if we all steer clear of Jeff's wardrobe. Nothing good can come of it.

I saw Incubus cover 'Hello' by Lionel Richie. Pearl Jam can't cover someone who covers Lionel Richie. It would tear a hole in space/time.
    www.myspace.com/swearupanddown

7/5/98
    10/17/00
    6/9/2003
    2006: Come back.

10/10/91,12/11/91,4/19/92,11/11 & 12/93, 9/16/95.
    I need a time machine.
  • I like Incubus, and consider them to be one of the few "new alternative rock" groups that are actually worth listening to. There is a ton of garbage "pop rock" out there these days, but Incubus stays away from most of that stuff. They seem well rooted in the great music that came before them.

However, I think that their sound is still a little imcomplete and unfocused. With Pearl Jam, a majority of their songs follow a consistent logic. Incubus tends to mix soft and hard, loud and quite, and fast and slow, all within the same song. It's a little difficult to actually get deep into a song when it's all over the place like that. Still, I like a lot of their songs.

It's seems odd to be talking about them on a Pearl Jam website, as they are no where close to them.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,394
    I think it is impossible to post anything about any other band besides Pearl Jam here and not recieve heaps of hate.

This board needs to pull the sticks out of their asses or just not post SO MUCH hate.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • dangerboy wrote:
    and even spawn clones...

see "hoobastank"

I hate hoobastank as much as the next guy, but at least they took some heat off of us for liking a band called 'Pearl Jam'.

I wonder if hoobastank has a message pit. I'm gonna go thank them.

"Thank you so much! Pearl Jam is not the worst band name ever anymore."
    www.myspace.com/swearupanddown

7/5/98
    10/17/00
    6/9/2003
    2006: Come back.

10/10/91,12/11/91,4/19/92,11/11 & 12/93, 9/16/95.
    I need a time machine.

Well said! Really!
    Btw...I love Incubus! And you know what??? I like Creed! This may not be the best way to look like a smart ass...but maybe I am mine...and don't care if anybody on this board will be pissed off...it's their naughty business and shame:)
    dangerboy wrote:
    bush is a nirvana clone, not a pearl jam clone....

BUSH (by the way their music is not that bad at all but absolutely unoriginal)

music> Nirvana and Pearl Jam
    image, look > Eddie Vedder

IMHO
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    dangerboy wrote:
    pearl jam covering incubus? blasphemy.....

isn't there an unwritten rule about covering a song by a band that's not only 10 years NEWER than you, but also isn't qualified to carry your gear into the venue?
    I agree, incubus is great, morning view one of my fav. albums, but pj covering incubus? cmon, it would be tight if incubus covered pj, but not the other way around, incubus should wash the feet of every member of pj including boom. And ive heard them say how much they like and respect pj
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • skinnylegs wrote:

I just listen to the music, whatever they do on their own time is their own business. I wonder how all you 'sellout' callers would go faced with a multi million dollar deal in your face...
    I havent hated anyones opinion in here, ive just had a go at people who think they're better than me because they listen to what might be considered 'cool' etc. If someone started an I like Simple Plan thread, id stay out of it. I dont like them, but I like your right to choose.
    Remember how Pearl Jam never made videos/did Sat Nite Live/other appearances because that was too 'mainstream' (sorry I fuckin hate that word but I couldt think of another)..what have they been doing this year?Does that count as well? Hypocrisy anyone?

• I just listen to the music, whatever they do on their own time is their own business. I wonder how all you 'sellout' callers would go faced with a multi million dollar deal in your face...
    I havent hated anyones opinion in here, ive just had a go at people who think they're better than me because they listen to what might be considered 'cool' etc. If someone started an I like Simple Plan thread, id stay out of it. I dont like them, but I like your right to choose.
    Remember how Pearl Jam never made videos/did Sat Nite Live/other appearances because that was too 'mainstream' (sorry I fuckin hate that word but I couldt think of another)..what have they been doing this year?Does that count as well? Hypocrisy anyone?

Word.

Chic '95
    Toledo '96
    Cleve '98
    Jones Beach III '00
    Det '00
    Pitt '00
    State Coll '03
    Cleve '03
    Pitt '03
    Bos III '03
    Tor '05
    Chic II '06