Options

I'm Not A Pearl Jam Fan Anymore

Comments

• Options
    ... because real Pearl Jam fans know the difference between "there" and "their."

or they're dumbass, lol
  • Options
    Dirty Hank wrote:
    I didn't think this day would ever come. After 16 years of being a fan, I just can't hold the same interest as I once did. For years I would look forward to the next great album and they never disappointed me! Then a slow decline of interest began to build around 2000 and took up until this year for me to realize that I just can't put in any of my favorite CD's from them anymore:( I still love them as a group and I always will but in terms of the music... the sound... it just doesn't strike me as it once did. Eddie turns more into Bob Dylan by the day and the music doesn't have that punch to the face that I had always loved. Now please don't take this the wrong way, you fans are the greatest part of what this band looks forward to on every tour. I just wanted to give a graceful farewell and to wish all my friends on here the best. I'm almost 26 and I have been into them since the day "vs." came out on cassette and was self-titled, haha. Removing my PJ sticker from my back window of my car was not easy. There music is all I know and now as my music tastes have changed PJ tends to get pushed back each and every year. I always figured I'd be in my forty's before I even considered not playing one of there many great albums but it crept up a little quicker than I thought. Goodbye everybody...

Um, I think if you are posting this kind of message on a board that resides on the band's site that you say you aren't a fan of....well, you're pretty much still a fan. Most people just fade away if they aren't fans. They don't really take the time to announce to fans that they aren't fans. It's a little too much effort. So, I have to ask: Is this a cry for help?
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    or they're dumbass, lol
    Says the guy who forgot to put an article before a noun.

:p
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    Says the guy who forgot to put an article before a noun.

:p

I'm too drunk too handle that right now, I'll see you in the morning
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    Monday evening drinkies...NICE! :-)

Im getting married in 12 days, I have an excuse, lmao

bad use of commas
  • Options
    Im getting married in 12 days, I have an excuse, lmao

bad use of commas
    Congrats man :cool:

Play Long Road!i!
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    Congrats man :cool:

Play Long Road!i!

I might have to, trying to find a place to fit it in.

Maybe during dinner!!!!!!!
  • Options
    given2fly10given2fly10 Posts: 485
    when did the pit become a confessional
    And he still gives his love, he just gives it away, The love he receives is the love that is saved, And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky, A human being that was given to fly

no bed=no brian

coke sucks
  • Options
    when did the pit become a confessional
    where else can PJ sinners go to confess? :cool:
  • Options
    I have a question? Did you give 'em all enough of a chance?

I couldn't stand Binaural for 5 years, and all the 2000 boots i had, i skipped all the Binaural songs on them, b/c i didn't know them.

2005 comes, and i listen to it properly, and to this day i love it. Same w/No Code, just couldn't get into it for years, Off He Goes drove me nuts, now it's one of my favourite tracks.

You're giving up too easily IMHO.

3 of my 4 favourite albums are after Vitalogy.

Yield, No Code, Vs and Avocado. Let the music grow on you my friend. And may i suggest, go to a show. Let that shit punch you in the face again.

Even after seeing Ed twice last week, my whole world was rocked. Ed solo was fucking stunning. Give it a chance, if not now, in a year, 2 years, 5 years.

You're ONLY 26. You were 8/9 years old when Ten came out. Music naturally changes for you as you grow, so let it grow w/you. I'm 29 in July, and i love this band more than i did back in 1993.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    They are still the best band in the world in my opinion.Even though the Ed solo show no taping rule is total b.s and through the years some of the songs like satans bed for example lost the original meaning.They still put out the most soul and spiritual energy of any performers anywhere ever.I am 34 and have been a fan since Mother Love Bone.I never joined the 10 club when it first started because all the posers and fake people I knew beat me to it.I couldn't stand that they were getting the good seats so I denounced the whole thing.But I've never denounced the band.How many of you have danced with the snake people at a P.J show?Saw the devil watching from above?Thought that Vedder was Christ preaching to the masses?Thought that Untitled was directed towards you telling you to get the hell out of the show fast?Seriously how many of you have some crazy tripped out stories?
  • Options
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    Hi Chica!
    I have to save up all my money for the trip to the east coast :-) Otherwise, I would have been all over it, you know that :-)
    The only two shows on the east coast I'll be able to do are Hartford and Mansfield 2. Will I see you there?

Only show I am not going to is Bonnaroo. So, yes. Call me, let's share a room, etc etc.. I think were should do a bunch of ppl in one room and make it cheap and party! I'll take the floor by Mansfield.. I'm sure I will be tired enough to sleep standing up by then!

Looking forward to seeing you again,
    Peace
    Just me
  • Options
    Zanne wrote:
    Only show I am not going to is Bonnaroo. So, yes. Call me, let's share a room, etc etc.. I think were should do a bunch of ppl in one room and make it cheap and party! I'll take the floor by Mansfield.. I'm sure I will be tired enough to sleep standing up by then!

Looking forward to seeing you again,
    Peace
    Any good cheap places in Mansfield you know of?
    I should plan that too instead of just focusing on NYC :D
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Dirty Hank wrote:
    I didn't think this day would ever come. After 16 years of being a fan, I just can't hold the same interest as I once did. For years I would look forward to the next great album and they never disappointed me! Then a slow decline of interest began to build around 2000 and took up until this year for me to realize that I just can't put in any of my favorite CD's from them anymore:( I still love them as a group and I always will but in terms of the music... the sound... it just doesn't strike me as it once did. Eddie turns more into Bob Dylan by the day and the music doesn't have that punch to the face that I had always loved. Now please don't take this the wrong way, you fans are the greatest part of what this band looks forward to on every tour. I just wanted to give a graceful farewell and to wish all my friends on here the best. I'm almost 26 and I have been into them since the day "vs." came out on cassette and was self-titled, haha. Removing my PJ sticker from my back window of my car was not easy. There music is all I know and now as my music tastes have changed PJ tends to get pushed back each and every year. I always figured I'd be in my forty's before I even considered not playing one of there many great albums but it crept up a little quicker than I thought. Goodbye everybody...

dude, that really sucks. i hope i never become like that. Wait a bit, I hope, think you will realize what you got into.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    Edit
  • Options
    rasty10rasty10 Posts: 68
    I'm disappointed with Avocado, especially how Mike referred to it as going back to their roots, as if they've been going through a long trip on drugs for the past 15 years and now they've finally sobered up...in that way they've taken steps back, trying to force a certain sound, and some songs actually sound forced to me, too engineered...thats just me though. But I'm still going strong...5 shows in June!
    96-Prague
    98-Camden
    03-Camden
    06-Prague, Berlin, Vienna, Zagreb
    07-Katowice
    08-NYC I/II, Hartford, Mansfield I/II
  • Options
    Dirty Hank wrote:
    Of course everyone's taste of music is different but Radiohead, Joy Division, MUSE, Interpol, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Stooges, Pinback...

turn in your # buddy

traitor.....
    PEARL JAM~Lubbock, TX. 10~18~00
    PEARL JAM~San Antonio, TX. 4~5~03
    INCUBUS~Houston, TX. 1~19~07
    INCUBUS~Denver, CO. 2~8~07
    Lollapalooza~Chicago, IL. 8~5~07
    INCUBUS~Austin, TX. 9~3~07
    Bonnaroo~Manchester, TN 6~14~08
  • Options
    VMGACgVMGACg Posts: 135
    what a thread...no need for the sappy goobyes. hopefully youll rediscover your love for this great band. if not, it was fun while it lasted.
    I am questioning my education
  • Options
    knittedknitted Posts: 244
    They are still the best band in the world in my opinion.Even though the Ed solo show no taping rule is total b.s and through the years some of the songs like satans bed for example lost the original meaning.They still put out the most soul and spiritual energy of any performers anywhere ever.I am 34 and have been a fan since Mother Love Bone.I never joined the 10 club when it first started because all the posers and fake people I knew beat me to it.I couldn't stand that they were getting the good seats so I denounced the whole thing.But I've never denounced the band.How many of you have danced with the snake people at a P.J show?Saw the devil watching from above?Thought that Vedder was Christ preaching to the masses?Thought that Untitled was directed towards you telling you to get the hell out of the show fast?Seriously how many of you have some crazy tripped out stories?

the original post seemed like it was just here to wind us all up (it worked!), but it was worth it to read THIS post here. dancing with the snake people. devil watching from above. crazy tripped out stories. loving it, loving it. now THERE'S a pj fan. you nailed it.
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats
  • Options
    stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    Dirty Hank wrote:
    Cool,That just just me closer to the stage.Thanks!
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    I'm appalled at how inconsiderate some are here... everyone is different when they deal with different situations in life.

He's obviously upset about how he is feeling at this point about his favorite band.

So upset that he felt compelled to share... and this is what he gets?

Dirty Hank - I do agree with a few commentators that it's okay to take a break from PJ.

Keep their stuff around, though; it'll be a great feeling when it comes back later. :)

Take care, my fellow pj fan, and we'll look forward to your return when you find your way back to the PJLand. :D;)

Good luck, DH. :)
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    26??

And thought you'd stop in your 40s? I'm 34, was struck by Alive at 17 and don't see how this is going to stop for me ever. Much less in 6 years.

When I get bored with some of the stuff, I find boots that I haven't listened to in a long time. Amazing how one can rediscover songs from previous albums.
  • Options
    IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 667
    Dirty Hank wrote:
    I totally admire that an respect your opinion. It's just that I was that fan who was into the Lallalpalooza phase where they were crazy on stage and broke down barriers and gave bands like Nirvana and Soundgarden some real competition. I don't like where they've been going for almost the better part of a decade and to be honest I wasn't blown away by there shows (youtube some old stuff pre 1994). We all evolve just like the band has. It's just that I have found a different path.

Seriously, Pearl Jam isn't giving bands like Nirvana or Soundgarden real competition anymore? I don't want to be the first to tell you, but Kurt's dead and as for Chris, well he can't even headline projekt revolution, http://linkinpark.com/projektrevolution
    So, I think I will stay a PJ fan, and watch them out last the bands of the next 15 years!
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Options
    IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 667

I'm the same age of you, I just thank god that I didn't let what other people do dictate what I do, so I have a pretty decent 10C#, and I get to set really close still today vs not. And since you had such strong feelings about not wanting to be a poser back then, what has brought you here now?
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Options
    Dirty Hank wrote:

I mean its okay, when it comes down to it its only music, yes I take it seriously but its whats inside of us that sorta meshes with the music, and you have to listen to what you like.
    With me i drift off constantly, but I have pj rebirths here and there and when I do I listen to all kinds of music on a much higher level, and I seem to let my creative side and thinking ability become enhanced on a higher level. When I go through times where I dont listen to pj I am more simple and basic and stale, not that there is anything wrong with that, becasue a litle balance in life is good for the braain, I cant walk around everyday amped up on pj rock music being emotional. Sometimes I need some jazz or just watch tv instead of rock music and just kind of go with the flow.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    Dirty Hank wrote:

Classic, so profound man! You sound like some kind of philosopher, even! Wow you've really got me thinking.....

about how much I love Peal Jam : )
  • Options
    yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    Dirty Hank wrote:
    I totally admire that an respect your opinion. It's just that I was that fan who was into the Lallalpalooza phase where they were crazy on stage and broke down barriers and gave bands like Nirvana and Soundgarden some real competition. I don't like where they've been going for almost the better part of a decade and to be honest I wasn't blown away by there shows (youtube some old stuff pre 1994). We all evolve just like the band has. It's just that I have found a different path.
    fuck man! The guys are in their mid-fourties now...I couldnt imagine them breaking down barriers now :eek: ....I think that the music is getting better to compensate for them NOT being as active on stage? Mind you, they still manage to bust out some pretty sweet moves :D
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Better hurry American Idol is on soon; douche bag
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    j234everj234ever Posts: 6
    Nuff Said!

Yield, No Code, Vs and Avocado. Let the music grow on you my friend. And may i suggest, go to a show. Let that shit punch you in the face again.

You're ONLY 26. You were 8/9 years old when Ten came out. Music naturally changes for you as you grow, so let it grow w/you. I'm 29 in July, and i love this band more than i did back in 1993.[/quote]
    8/29/98, 9/08/98, 8/25/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/1/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 8/4/04, 9/19/05, 05/27/06, 06/03/06, 06/19/08, 06/25/08
  • Options
    Pearl JenPearl Jen Posts: 136
    Zanne wrote:
    I STILL listen to all the music I've listened to since I was like 3 years old. I'll never give up those parts of my life for anyone. If I had a BeeGees sticker on the back of my car today, I'd wear it proudly.

I can definitely relate to this. When listening to old mix tapes I sometimes find myself saying "I can't believe I used to listen to this crap!" However, 90% of the time I am still enjoying the song, lol. It's hard for me to dislike music that I used to love because there are so many memories in it.