Options

I'm Not A Pearl Jam Fan Anymore

Dirty HankDirty Hank Posts: 15
edited April 2008 in The Porch
I didn't think this day would ever come. After 16 years of being a fan, I just can't hold the same interest as I once did. For years I would look forward to the next great album and they never disappointed me! Then a slow decline of interest began to build around 2000 and took up until this year for me to realize that I just can't put in any of my favorite CD's from them anymore:( I still love them as a group and I always will but in terms of the music... the sound... it just doesn't strike me as it once did. Eddie turns more into Bob Dylan by the day and the music doesn't have that punch to the face that I had always loved. Now please don't take this the wrong way, you fans are the greatest part of what this band looks forward to on every tour. I just wanted to give a graceful farewell and to wish all my friends on here the best. I'm almost 26 and I have been into them since the day "vs." came out on cassette and was self-titled, haha. Removing my PJ sticker from my back window of my car was not easy. There music is all I know and now as my music tastes have changed PJ tends to get pushed back each and every year. I always figured I'd be in my forty's before I even considered not playing one of there many great albums but it crept up a little quicker than I thought. Goodbye everybody...
"A compiment for US...is a compliment for YOU." - Eddie Vedder of Citizen Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    lol, do you want us to feel sad for you? Do you feel guilty or something? Why the confession? I forgive you I guess..

Whats the point of posting this? You obviously care enough or want to care. If you're not a fan anymore, why do you care what people at this board think?
  • Options
    MahoneMahone Posts: 62
    Dude, you can grow apart from something without denouncing it. I did it plenty of times with a lot of my favorite bands of the 90's.
    4.6.94 Springfield 4.12.94 Boston III (Orpheum) 10.2.96 Hartford 9.16.98 Mansfield II 8.29.00 Mansfield I 7.11.03 Mansfield III 9.29.04 Boston II 5.24.06 Boston I 6.30.08 Mansfield II
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    Dirty Hank wrote:
    I didn't think this day would ever come. After 16 years of being a fan, I just can't hold the same interest as I once did. For years I would look forward to the next great album and they never disappointed me! Then a slow decline of interest began to build around 2000 and took up until this year for me to realize that I just can't put in any of my favorite CD's from them anymore:( I still love them as a group and I always will but in terms of the music... the sound... it just doesn't strike me as it once did. Eddie turns more into Bob Dylan by the day and the music doesn't have that punch to the face that I had always loved. Now please don't take this the wrong way, you fans are the greatest part of what this band looks forward to on every tour. I just wanted to give a graceful farewell and to wish all my friends on here the best. I'm almost 26 and I have been into them since the day "vs." came out on cassette and was self-titled, haha. Removing my PJ sticker from my back window of my car was not easy. There music is all I know and now as my music tastes have changed PJ tends to get pushed back each and every year. I always figured I'd be in my forty's before I even considered not playing one of there many great albums but it crept up a little quicker than I thought. Goodbye everybody...

what a shame man. the band has only gotten better and better by the years. they're different people now. i think the music is better then ever. their shows are the most diverse and excellent yet. they're a better band then ever. they're the greatest band in the world. that will never change for me. god bless pearl jam!! and good luck finding something as good as them to be into.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    bacojbacoj Posts: 120
    I would have left the sticker on your car as an homage to your first love and one of the greatest bands of all time. It's not like they turned into nickelback or something. But, farewell and may you re-discover your love for our favorite band.
    mmmmm, it does go well with the chicken.....delicious again peter

E. Troy 98, E. Lansing 98, Barrie 98, Hartford 98, Noblesville 00, Detroit 00, E. Troy 00, Champaign 03, Detroit 03 x 2, Grand Rapids 06, Detroit 06, EV Milwaukee 08, SLC 09, Missoula 12
  • Options
    No that's just it. I've been into the music for so long and it's all I've ever known. I still admire the band as I always have. It's just that I find myself not being able to play many of there albums. For a long time I figured it was a dry spell which I've had plenty of where I had just killed an album for a few months but later realized it was almost every album. And no I don't want you to think anything than to just read it and take it for what it is.
  • Options
    damn. getting rid of that stickman tattoo is gonna be a bitch.
  • Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    Dude, it's a band.
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    Good. Turn in your user name and give us the extra space. We don't need you.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    I don't get the Bob Dylan reference at all, but that's cool.

I hope you enjoy your next favorite band.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    what a shame man. the band has only gotten better and better by the years. they're different people now. i think the music is better then ever. their shows are the most diverse and excellent yet. they're a better band then ever. they're the greatest band in the world. that will never change for me. god bless pearl jam!! and good luck finding something as good as them to be into.

I totally admire that an respect your opinion. It's just that I was that fan who was into the Lallalpalooza phase where they were crazy on stage and broke down barriers and gave bands like Nirvana and Soundgarden some real competition. I don't like where they've been going for almost the better part of a decade and to be honest I wasn't blown away by there shows (youtube some old stuff pre 1994). We all evolve just like the band has. It's just that I have found a different path.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Yeah, I don't see the point of posting this.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    so if I may ask....

watcha into now?
    the Minions
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Everyone's different and that is cool. I just can't imagine tiring of a band I love, hell I'm still listening to bands I loved in the 60's. I'm curious though, what bands are you listening to now? :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    so if I may ask....

watcha into now?

Of course everyone's taste of music is different but Radiohead, Joy Division, MUSE, Interpol, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Stooges, Pinback...
  • Options
    joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    nukeboot wrote:
    I don't get the Bob Dylan reference at all, but that's cool.

I hope you enjoy your next favorite band.

I second that. What do you mean with the Dylan reference? I have a feeling you will return to the fold atleast by the time you hit the inevitable mid life crisis and find yourself looking to recapture your youth by way of nostaglia.
  • Options
    bird jambird jam Posts: 107
    Eddie Vedder's got a LONG way to go before he can be compared to Dylan, but I'm sure he would be flattered by the comparison.
    Liberace was great on the piano but he sucked on the organ.
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    wolfbear wrote:
    Everyone's different and that is cool. I just can't imagine tiring of a band I love, hell I'm still listening to bands I loved in the 60's. I'm curious though, what bands are you listening to now? :)

I'm sure we could've talked bands from the 60's for a while Denise in SD. :D
  • Options
    sweet adelinesweet adeline Posts: 2,211
    what was your 10c number? i could be benefiting from this.
  • Options
    IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 667
    I don't really care if you like PJ anymore or not, but what's your 10C # and can I have it? Oh yeah, probably weren't ever that big of a fan, right?
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Options
    IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 667
    what was your 10c number? i could be benefiting from this.
    Damn, beat me by seconds!
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Dirty Hank wrote:
    I totally admire that an respect your opinion. It's just that I was that fan who was into the Lallalpalooza phase where they were crazy on stage and broke down barriers and gave bands like Nirvana and Soundgarden some real competition. I don't like where they've been going for almost the better part of a decade and to be honest I wasn't blown away by there shows (youtube some old stuff pre 1994). We all evolve just like the band has. It's just that I have found a different path.

I can actually understand you exactly. I don't think they're as great as they were in the 90's, which they were the greatest band of that decade from Ten to Yield, all 5 studio, plus Mirrorball, plus other releases were all phenomenal. When Binaural came out, I began to see the change, then Riot Act and recently Avocado. These last three releases are pretty mediocre at best in my honest opinion.

There's been other bands I became infatuated with in this decade over PJ but I always find my way back to them. It's like my first love that I can't let go.

Then I realized how great their bootlegs were compared to other bands out there. I now except the that Pearl Jam has become a "live" band and not a "studio" band anymore. Their best album this decade was Lost Dogs, which was a compilation of majority of works from the 90's.

I'm not asking for another Ten or Vs. but something as good as No Code or Yield would be incredible. If not, they're still make the best bootlegs around and a great live act.

I hope I change your mind on them a bit! Good luck with your new band. :)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    Dirty Hank wrote:
    Of course everyone's taste of music is different but Radiohead, Joy Division, MUSE, Interpol, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Stooges, Pinback...
    Yup, Radiohead is the better band this decade!!! :cool:
  • Options
    SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    You know I can kind of see what you mean about Dylan. more like a Dyan "type" guy. Definitely NOT a real comparison to Dylan. But he seems to be in a stage of his music that is similar to early Dylan's style.
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    I guess there is always "good charlotte"...lol
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    Dirty Hank wrote:

That's cool...

actually PJ is not my favorite band either, I haven't listened to any PJ since early 07 not counting the Ed solo stuff.

My interests change as well. When the next PJ album comes out ...they will get more rotation on my iPod, right now PJ is so far down the list of what I'd listen to I'm actually relating to your vibe.
    the Minions
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Dirty Hank wrote:

See you when the next album's out, hopefully. :)
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Happy trails to you!
    I think Fall Out Boy is looking for a fan?
    Hahaha..jokes!
  • Options
    KingmidgetKingmidget Posts: 628
    That's cool...

actually PJ is not my favorite band either, I haven't listened to any PJ since early 07 not counting the Ed solo stuff.

My interests change as well. When the next PJ album comes out ...they will get more rotation on my iPod, right now PJ is so far down the list of what I'd listen to I'm actually relating to your vibe.

I'm with ya...PJ needs to push the envelope. Too much of the "same old" over the last few albums. Hoping for something "no codish" comin up. :)

Last few albums have left me sleepin
  • Options
    Later Dude

Most of you dropped out after Vitology!

Oh well, one less guy yelling "JEREMY"!! 5000 times during a show.
  • Options
    Kingmidget wrote:
    I'm with ya...PJ needs to push the envelope. Too much of the "same old" over the last few albums. Hoping for something "no codish" comin up. :)

Last few albums have left me sleepin
    Yes, more No Code/Yield~ish sound.

I'm not into their new fastpace punk sound to be honest with ya.