The Best One Hit Wonder ever?

Comments

• Cutting Crew 'I Just Died In Your Arms'...ah, young love, slow dancing to this at High School dances. Then puking behind the bleachers from too much Bacardi and Coke. HAHAHAHAHAHA
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    No love for Come On Eileen?!
    Geno got to number one as well so not a one hit wonder
    Ricsard wrote:
    I agree
    then I vote for Bitter Sweet Symphony although THE VERVE are one the most underrated alternative/rock bands EVER!!!
    Thank God they returned this year!!!
    It actually got to number two in the charts and the "drugs don't work" got to number one so yet again not a one hit wonder
    Go Now The moody blues
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ZreZYPXJAW4

Nashville teens tobacco road
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=O3AWbZcLpGw

John Fred and his Playboy Band - Judy in Disguise
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=6aozXqUCXLk

Thunderclap Newman Something In The Air
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=2pGht71KFkY

Sinead O'Connor Nothing compares to you
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=3iB3GMDOxgM

Marmalade Reflections of my life
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=79NiN7ISW7E
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    M

pop music

you know

new york london paris everybody talk about
    mmmmm
    Pop music
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    fada wrote:
    Geno got to number one as well so not a one hit wonder

Maybe in Ireland or wherever the Republic of Tallow is. But here in the US of A I'm pretty sure Eileen was their only hit. I'll have to look that one up.
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Pearler wrote:
    hmmm..

and I thoroughly recommend the lamb kebab.

Why thank you, I'll keep that in mind if I'm ever back there. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Ricsard wrote:
    I agree.
    Simple Minds was really big here in Europe but I am sure there are still many fans nowadays. SAME WITH A-HA!!! (They have never been one hit wonders!)

But in the U.S. bands like Travis, Texas or The Cardigans were one hit wonders as well however they were/have been pretty big on the old continent with many many hits!

That's the beauty of being in Oz. We get the best of Europe as well as the best of the US, not to mention a thriving music industry of our own. :)

Man I haven't thought of Texas in YEARS!!! I LOVED THAT SONG!!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tObTguoxQsg

I'd have to say that Texas was a one hit wonder here in Oz as were The Cardigans and A-Ha really, but Travis did ok I think. I'm pretty sure they had more than one hit. And Simple Minds were HUGE!! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    cmon now, you know to the rest of the world aussies don't matter ; )

haha! Typical!! :p But sooo true! :D

no one around here knows who silverchair is either. they're a one-hit wonder to most americans as well.

Yeah, I find it ironic some of the bands that did make it big in the US, like AIR SUPPLY for instance!!! :eek:

But then I find Americans to be mostly oblivious to the rest of the world anyway, less of course they're planning to bomb them! :p (that's a joke folks so don't get your knickers in a twist! ;) )
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Oasis - "Wonderwall" only so Ryan Adams could remake it.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • I think that hendrix was a one hit wonder. hey joe I think it was. Im probley wrong. It would be hard to belief none of his other stuff had any radio play
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Asia - heat of the moment
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Haddaway - What is Love?
    gabers wrote:
    Maybe in Ireland or wherever the Republic of Tallow is. But here in the US of A I'm pretty sure Eileen was their only hit. I'll have to look that one up.
    Tallow's in IReland alright but they Geno was number one in UK charts
  • stu gee wrote:
    Deep Blue Something - Breakfast at Tiffany's

agreed :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    stay - shakespears sister
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    The Oneders...I mean, The Wonders

Actually, wouldn't The Greatful Dead be a one hit wonder if being judged by mainstream success of "Touch of Grey"
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    teenage dirtbag - wheatus
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    LongRd. wrote:
    Asia - heat of the moment
    You can add "Only Time Will Tell", "The Smile has Left Your Eyes", "Sole Survivor" and "Don't Cry" to their hit list. :D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    Marys Prayer - Danny Wilson was a decent song.
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • The Oneders...I mean, The Wonders

Actually, wouldn't The Greatful Dead be a one hit wonder if being judged by mainstream success of "Touch of Grey"

Awww yeah that movie is great...
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    Lucky Man, The Drugs Don't Work and Sonnet were all big songs for The Verve.

I heard that song in the movie The Girl Next Door...it's a great track.

Speaking of Verve.

How about Verve Pipe-The Freshman

PBM

Ok maybe they weren't so big outside of the UK/Europe, over here they were MASSIVE hits. That album sold a shit load and made them huge over here - big enough that they have just sold out an arena tour after reuniting after a few years. I understand what you are saying, but in the UK they would never be considered a one hit wonder.
    Sonja_S wrote:
    Regarding The Verve: I think that's the very rare case of 'One Album Wonder'. All the hits/songs that they are remembered for are on Urban Hymns, no one ever talks about songs from their other albums.

OK, I'm sorry, here are the facts:
    (plz believe me)
    -for me the music of THE VERVE has been ONE GREAT WONDER, they were kinda one reincarnation of something for example The Doors, Pink Floyd, The Cure were fuckin' good at: magical experimental/psychedelic music.
    -Urban hymns is probably my all time favourite British record (and the vast majority of my idols are British...)
    -There have never been a bigger The Verve and Ashcroft fanatic (GUESS WHY i AM CALLED RICSARD;)) in Eastern Europe!

BUT, outside U.K. and Ireland (I know they had massive success there in 1997-98 [thank God for that]) their only hit WAS that fuckin Symphony which was stolen from them by that old manager prick. Most people have no idea they had other songs + The Verve name is not really familiar - only that song. It was so sad to see this video on VH1's One Hit Wonder show which was actually reflected their American status at those charts.

[Guess why they don't have other tour dates but British ones;) ]

-Same situation with Blind Melon that someone mentionned: they could have never got rid of the blessings/curse of No Rain...:(

But I am happy you guys tried to protect the Verve - it means there must be still a few fans of theirs out there :)!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    there must be still a few fans of theirs out there...and it's fuckin' cool!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
    Ricsard wrote:
    OK, I'm sorry, here are the facts:
    (plz believe me)
    -for me the music of THE VERVE has been ONE GREAT WONDER, they were kinda one reincarnation of something for example The Doors, Pink Floyd, The Cure were fuckin' good at: magical experimental/psychedelic music.
    -Urban hymns is probably my all time favourite British record (and the vast majority of my idols are British...)
    -There have never been a bigger The Verve and Ashcroft fanatic (GUESS WHY i AM CALLED RICSARD;)) in Eastern Europe!

BUT, outside U.K. and Ireland (I know they had massive success there in 1997-98 [thank God for that]) their only hit WAS that fuckin Symphony which was stolen from them by that old manager prick. Most people have no idea they had other songs + The Verve name is not really familiar - only that song. It was so sad to see this video on VH1's One Hit Wonder show which was actually reflected their American status at those charts.

[Guess why they don't have other tour dates but British ones;) ]

-Same situation with Blind Melon that someone mentionned: they could have never got rid of the blessings/curse of No Rain...:(

But I am happy you guys tried to protect the Verve - it means there must be still a few fans of theirs out there :)!

They are after reforming. I got their first album last week( had the other two and greatest hits one for ages) and what a talent their guitarist is( I think its nick mccabe)
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    Whale - Hobo Humpin' Slobo Babe
    The Men - Church of Logic, Sin and Love
    Folk Implosion - The Natural One
    Primitive Radio Gods - Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth...
    Spacehog - In The Meantime
    Fossil - Moon
  • Time Zone 'World Destruction'
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Mother, Mother by Tracy Bonham was a pretty good song back in the day.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    has anybody mentioned Blind Melon?

No Rain was a big hit, nothing that followed was shown much interest by radio , mtv etc
  • Blindmelon/lemonhead/sublime all the same band :P

as for oasis wonderwall was just one song, they are fuckign huge in england, and there albums still make it to 1 on the charts
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    A-ha had plenty of hits in Europe. Take On Me, Hunting High & Low, The Sun Always Shines on TV and of course The Living Daylights the theme songs from the Bond Movie of the same name, that's not a one hit wonder :P

How about :

Survivor : Eye of the Tiger.
    Dee-light : Groove is in the Heart.
    Europe : The Final Countdown.
    Toni Basil : Mickey.
    Carl Douglas : Kung Fu Fighting
    Babylon Zoo : Spaceman.