The Best One Hit Wonder ever?

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Jeanie wrote:
    Oh I so have to correct you there Conor. :)

Simple Minds are no one hit wonder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C0kJ-hCK_8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIRHZ2lFeIA

There are more, but you get the gist! ;)

Simple Minds Sparkle in The Rain album had a hoard of hits and is probably one of my favorite albums of all time. Not to mention their "best of" Glittering Prize.

Their hits include:

Waterfront
    Don't you (forget about me)
    Alive and Kicking
    Sanctify Yourself
    Love Song
    Someone Somewhere In Summertime
    All The Things She Said
    Promised You A Miracle
    Glittering Prize
    Up On The Catwalk
    Speed Your Love To Me
    Belfast Child
    Book Of Brilliant Things

Actually Jim Kerr and the boys are to me as important as U2. They have done some amazing things in music. :)

being a one-hit wonder doesn't mean the rest of your catalog is no good. just means if you ask anyone who the band is, they're not gonna know more than one song. let's face it... to 99% of the world, that's the only song simple minds ever had. blind melon suffered the same fate even though their albums top almost anything else done in the 90s.
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    being a one-hit wonder doesn't mean the rest of your catalog is no good. just means if you ask anyone who the band is, they're not gonna know more than one song. let's face it... to 99% of the world, that's the only song simple minds ever had. blind melon suffered the same fate even though their albums top almost anything else done in the 90s.

Yeah, I think you're suffering from American music industry disease ss. :D

Coz I'm quite sure you ask anyone here in Oz or in Europe who Simple Minds is and they'll tell you all about them. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jeanie wrote:

Coz I'm quite sure you ask anyone here in Oz or in Europe who Simple Minds is and they'll tell you all about them. :)

lord knows i could. i used to love simple minds back in the day. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • PearlerPearler Posts: 191
    I rate simple minds with fine young cannibals.

Best one hit wonder, Stevie Wright. Evie.

24 bottles in a case, 24 hours in a day..... coincidence ? I think not.

Cherry Tree Hotel, 53 Balmain Street Richmond. 9428 5743
    lord knows i could. i used to love simple minds back in the day. :D

Me too! Well I still love em now and I'm more than happy to listen to them or go to see them if the opportunity arose! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Pearler wrote:
    I rate simple minds with fine young cannibals.

Best one hit wonder, Stevie Wright. Evie.

24 bottles in a case, 24 hours in a day..... coincidence ? I think not.

Cherry Tree Hotel, 53 Balmain Street Richmond. 9428 5743

YIKES!! :eek:
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • PearlerPearler Posts: 191
    Jeanie wrote:
    YIKES!! :eek:

hmmm..

and I thoroughly recommend the lamb kebab.
  • Vanilla Ice
    model, role model, roll some models in blood
  • No love for Come On Eileen?!
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    The Mavericks- Just Wanna Dance The Night Away.
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943

I agree
    then I vote for Bitter Sweet Symphony although THE VERVE are one the most underrated alternative/rock bands EVER!!!
    Thank God they returned this year!!!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    Jeanie wrote:

I agree.
    Simple Minds was really big here in Europe but I am sure there are still many fans nowadays. SAME WITH A-HA!!! (They have never been one hit wonders!)

But in the U.S. bands like Travis, Texas or The Cardigans were one hit wonders as well however they were/have been pretty big on the old continent with many many hits!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    stu gee wrote:
    Crash Test Dummies had a few good songs did they not?
    They might have had some ok songs, but nothing else of theirs even comes close to being a hit like Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm.

Soft Cell's "Tainted Love" was a great pick, whoever picked that one. I think that song would get my vote.
  • MathMath Posts: 71
    Tek Money wrote:
    K's Choice - Not an Addict

In Belgium K's Choice is obviously not a "One Hit" band.

At the risk of being hated I noticed that most people only know one Soundgarden song. I let you guess wich one... Sorry
    "Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends" - Woody ALLEN
  • Ricsard wrote:
    I agree
    then I vote for Bitter Sweet Symphony although THE VERVE are one the most underrated alternative/rock bands EVER!!!
    Thank God they returned this year!!!

Lucky Man, The Drugs Don't Work and Sonnet were all big songs for The Verve.
    Jeanie wrote:

cmon now, you know to the rest of the world aussies don't matter ;)

no one around here knows who silverchair is either. they're a one-hit wonder to most americans as well.
    Lucky Man, The Drugs Don't Work and Sonnet were all big songs for The Verve.

i heard drug's don't work on the radio once. other than that, nobody i know can name a verve song outside bittersweet symphony. i think he's got a good point there!

that's like saying becos life wasted and gone got played on radio for 2 weeks and hit the charts, they were big hits. let's face it, nobody knows those songs. playing the newest single of a band with a recent hit doesn't make the new one a hit.
  • Lucky Man

I heard that song in the movie The Girl Next Door...it's a great track.

Speaking of Verve.

How about Verve Pipe-The Freshman

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    pearl jam alive- anything they put out after that was crap. ;)

that song by sponge. "in a world of human wreckage" forgot the name.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09

• that song by sponge. "in a world of human wreckage" forgot the name.

Molly? or Plowed?

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    i'd also pick "don't you forget about me" from the breakfast club movie. so good nobody even knows who played it.

i also dig "counting bllue cars" by dishwalla.

simple minds

and they had a bunch of hits
    cars

gary numan

dream weaver

gary wright
  • i heard drug's don't work on the radio once. other than that, nobody i know can name a verve song outside bittersweet symphony. i think he's got a good point there!

that's like saying becos life wasted and gone got played on radio for 2 weeks and hit the charts, they were big hits. let's face it, nobody knows those songs. playing the newest single of a band with a recent hit doesn't make the new one a hit.

Ok maybe they weren't so big outside of the UK/Europe, over here they were MASSIVE hits. That album sold a shit load and made them huge over here - big enough that they have just sold out an arena tour after reuniting after a few years. I understand what you are saying, but in the UK they would never be considered a one hit wonder.
  • No love for Come On Eileen?!

That's the one I thought of immediately!

Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    pearl jam alive- anything they put out after that was crap. ;)

You'd find a lot of people over here that would support your theory ;) (we don't have any rock radio stations)

I'm also one of those who could rattle off lots of Simple Minds hits, seems like a European thing.

Regarding The Verve: I think that's the very rare case of 'One Album Wonder'. All the hits/songs that they are remembered for are on Urban Hymns, no one ever talks about songs from their other albums.

My vote goes to 'Pass the Dutchie' from Musical Youth :D
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
    Sonja_S wrote:

My vote goes to 'Pass the Dutchie' from Musical Youth :D

NICE

ze east ze west ze north and south

pass the dutchie pon the left handside

havent thought of that in years
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Math wrote:
    At the risk of being hated I noticed that most people only know one Soundgarden song. I let you guess wich one... Sorry

Maybe, but it wasn't their only "hit". Even if they didn't have many top 40 hits here in the states, they were big on MTV, if anything else, for several of their videos.

I'll give my nomination to "Come on Eileen" also. I still love that song! I can think of several one hit wonder songs I like, but this one stands out. Or maybe "Stars" by Hum, but that's probably a stretch to even call that a hit.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    Edie Briekel and the ???? with the song "What I Am" was she married to Paul Simon?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Dont know if anyone's mentioned it but Bran Van 300 - Drinking in LA
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Nah man, they had another. A great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kpxNXZCLBg

Reminds me of a high school girlfriend. She loved Edie Brickell.