any love for popular rock bands?

Comments

• btb002btb002 Posts: 183
    I'm pretty split (in terms of my iPod), for every Pearl Jam, there's a Pavement. For every Green Day, theres is a Fugazi. For every early Radiohead song, there's a later Radiohead song. I starting to think I should of use more up to date bands, well too late.
    You are just a negative mindless pud.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    soclose wrote:
    It's just music! Why can't we live and let live?

Couldn't agree with this guy more !!!!!
    It's not a competition, but everything seems to be these days. Geez, I sound like a BOF don't I.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    I hate the whole indie scene. Some may be a fan, but I find it incredibly boring and repetitive. I just don't see anything appealing about Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!, The Decemberists, and TV On The Radio.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Any one listened to the band The Answer, bluesy rock at its best, there album Rise was quailty
    Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution...

Hearts and thoughts they fade, fade away...
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Couldn't agree with this guy more !!!!!
    It's not a competition, but everything seems to be these days. Geez, I sound like a BOF don't I.

Thanks (from this girl);)

I agree that musical fandom shouldn't be a competition. It's perfectly cool to dislike any music you don't enjoy. I just wish there wasn't so much negativity going around this messageboard, whether aimed toward mainstream or indie music. We can't all like the same thing - other than Pearl Jam, of course!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    drew0 wrote:
    I hate the whole indie scene. Some may be a fan, but I find it incredibly boring and repetitive. I just don't see anything appealing about Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!, The Decemberists, and TV On The Radio.

funny, i mostly agree with you that the indie scene bores me, but i actually like the 3 bands you used for examples.
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    Todd76 wrote:
    I too enjoy some popular bands - i'm not just a pretentious indie rock snob (contrary to popular opinion) who bases their love of music on how many units a band has shifted. I quite enjoy:

Tool
    Beck
    Queens Of The Stoneage
    Radiohead
    Death Cab For Cutie
    Neil Young
    Oasis
    Nirvana
    the Strokes
    Soul Asylum
    Coldplay (own all their albums)
    the Cure
    U2
    REM
    Sarah McLachlan
    the Beatles
    Blind Melon
    the White Stripes
    Snow Patrol
    .....I even own a 30 Seconds To Mars album - gasp - how emo am I, eh?

You and I are pretty much the same person as far as music goes. I thought I was unique :(

I will make fun of you for liking Sarah though. Even though I like her too. But you're a guy. Haha.
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    You and I are pretty much the same person as far as music goes. I thought I was unique :(

I will make fun of you for liking Sarah though. Even though I like her too. But you're a guy. Haha.

yeah, sarah's pretty wussy for a guy ;)

i do seem to like a lot of the bands he does though too... maybe the three of us should start a club.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Tek Money wrote:

She's got a great voice - Fumbling Towards Ecstasy is an incredible album!

......I think I just have a thing for Canadian girls named Sarah....Sarah McLachlan, Sarah Slean, Sarah Harmer (!), Sara (from Tegan & Sara), and my lovely wife Sarah
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
    i do seem to like a lot of the bands he does though too... maybe the three of us should start a club.

great minds think alike ;)

.....its so nice to feel accepted after getting slagged on a bunch of threads over the weekend ;) I HATE being called annoying :(

.....what should we call our club? nobody else can join though - otherwise we would be getting a little to mainstream and we might lose our indie street cred
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    ´´indie´´ bands i consider great are The pixies, sonith youth and pavement, and dinosaur jr...

i´m not agains´t them just their music doesn´t grows on me and most of them are just ok bands for opening concerts...
    Todd76 wrote:
    She's got a great voice - Fumbling Towards Ecstasy is an incredible album!

......I think I just have a thing for Canadian girls named Sarah....Sarah McLachlan, Sarah Slean, Sarah Harmer (!), Sara (from Tegan & Sara), and my lovely wife Sarah

I love Sarah Harmer.
    Cock Fight.
    yeah, sarah's pretty wussy for a guy ;)

The Pretentious Canadian Indie fan club?

I mean you might as well be Canadian Conor :D
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    The Pretentious Canadian Indie fan club?

I mean you might as well be Canadian Conor :D

sounds good to me! and i know, ive considered moving there. but i blew off my french lessons in college so im not sure i could make it ;)
    sounds good to me! and i know, ive considered moving there. but i blew off my french lessons in college so im not sure i could make it ;)

Trust me you don't need french. I want to learn, so I have those lessons you listen to in your car or on your mp3 player. When I start repeating them on the bus people look at me funny. Like Waynes World.

Maybe I should start off said Club with recommending that you listen to Menomena - Friend and Foe. Maybe my favorite album this year. :D
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:

Actually I just noticed your Location - I too was born and raised in London, ON (first 15 years of my life).....maybe we have a separated at birth scenario going on here ;)
    Todd76 wrote:
    Actually I just noticed your Location - I too was born and raised in London, ON (first 15 years of my life).....maybe we have a separated at birth scenario going on here ;)

I was born and raised in Niagara Falls (first 15 years of my life)... Or I would totally agree with you.

London's music scene sucks so bad.
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    Maybe I should start off said Club with recommending that you listen to Menomena - Friend and Foe. Maybe my favorite album this year. :D

i'll definitely look into this one - never heard of them...what will i be getting myself into

....you checked out Julie Doiron and the Decemberists at least partially based on my recommendation - so it's the least i can do....
    I actually haven't listened to that Julie Doiron album yet. But you just gave me something to listen to right now.
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    Trust me you don't need french. I want to learn, so I have those lessons you listen to in your car or on your mp3 player. When I start repeating them on the bus people look at me funny. Like Waynes World.

ill look into it then. but i might not be up to par. im not much of an indie snob. id never heard of a single band in betterradio's thread. and this IS the popular rock thread, that's where my heart truly lies. finding indie music requires too much effort for this lazy american.
    ill look into it then. but i might not be up to par. im not much of an indie snob. id never heard of a single band in betterradio's thread. and this IS the popular rock thread, that's where my heart truly lies. finding indie music requires too much effort for this lazy american.

I can always YSI it for you if you are too lazy.

And I love a good thread hijacking.
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    I can always YSI it for you if you are too lazy.

And I love a good thread hijacking.

im not too lazy to get it once ive heard of it, im too lazy to dig through the crap to find out about all these bands that nobody has ever heard of.
    im not too lazy to get it once ive heard of it, im too lazy to dig through the crap to find out about all these bands that nobody has ever heard of.

Well that's why it is good to know me :)
    Cock Fight.
  • suckfest.

Hehe.

Qotsa are the fucking kings of rock. The Strokes are good too, but quickly losing speed with me. Foo Fighters are good too, but too much of the same lately.

I love MMJ, Arcade Fire, Decemberists, Kings of Leon, The Who, Wilco.

There is so much good music out there right now, it's amazing. Alot of horrible shit too.

And someone tell when this scream-o fad is going to end.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Dick Jones wrote:
    And someone tell when this scream-o fad is going to end.

I girl at my workplace dumped her boyfriend who always listened to screamo. It was great, but now it looks like she's going for a Nickelback fan. *sigh*
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I think I lean more towards the popular side of things. I have no use for bands like Fall Out Boy, Nickleback, or Hinder but I find myself very into Lifehouse, Better Than Ezra, Coldplay, Jack Johnson, John Mayer, and Weezer.

I've also tried to get into some Indie stuff, and some I like (Arcade Fire, TV On The Radio, My Morning Jacket), but for every one of those there are 10 I can't get in to
    I think I lean more towards the popular side of things. I have no use for bands like Fall Out Boy, Nickleback, or Hinder but I find myself very into Lifehouse, Better Than Ezra, Coldplay, Jack Johnson, John Mayer, and Weezer.

I've also tried to get into some Indie stuff, and some I like (Arcade Fire, TV On The Radio, My Morning Jacket), but for every one of those there are 10 I can't get in to

For any ONE band (Indie or not) there are at least 10 that I can't get into. I don't see how this fits the Indie bands only?
    Cock Fight.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    tonadax wrote:
    please ´´not indie,underground,not my morning jacket, kings of leon, the decemberist, the rapture, etx..´´i respect them as a musicians, but i don´t like their music...

i´m a big fan of the strokes, QOTSA, interpol, Foo fighters, also i like panic at the disco, A.F.I, slipknot and trivium, maybe i´m dumb..........

I love QOTSA.

I find it hard you lump interpol in with those other bands. they seem more like an indie band to me.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    soclose wrote:
    I don't understand a statement like "indie bands suck." A band "sucks" because they're signed to a small record label? Call me crazy, but I think a musician's sound has little to do with how many records they sell, how those records are distributed, or how trendy their fans are (okay, pop music may be a different story . . .). "Indie" has to be one of the least useful adjectives used to describe the sound of a band, right along with "emo," and yes, "grunge."

I might also add that this argument is a two-way street. You might call a Decemberists fan an "indie snob," but I fail to see how that's more acceptable than that same "snob" saying your tastes are too "mainstream." You're both snobs. I can't stand the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, but it has nothing to do with how popular they are. I don't like they're sound, but I'm not going to tell anyone that their favorite band "sucks" for any reason, and certainly not because they get a lot of radio play. It's just music! Why can't we live and let live?

Well said all around.
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    Eat me alive, I dont care.

I started with Bon Jovi at age 9. I still like em. working class rock, and they are fronted by a guy whose politics I like.

After coming dangerously close to being a clone of every other 8th grader Aerosmith (Particularly 70's aerosmith) saved me (also lead me to PJ)

My sister is a lesbian so in came the Indigo Girls. Who put on great shows and are again my kinda politics.

Then came college and a little band called emmet swimming. who while slightly poppy are politically okay with me too.

I own most of green days stuff because I enjoy that.

I like a lot of music, and I'll even admit that I like rap too (NWA). Mainly the politically charged stuff but I like to have fun as well. I even like Journey, and I know some other people do to.

PJ is my main squeeze, but you cant help where/how you grew up. I gave up trying to be cooler than anyone else a long time ago. (Well I still make fun of Britney Spears at least)
    its ok to be eclectic in your musical taste, i just dont know how pj fits in with your other favorites there. . .i mean the bon jovi's and journey's of the world
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER