any love for popular rock bands?

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited January 2007 in Other Music
please ´´not indie,underground,not my morning jacket, kings of leon, the decemberist, the rapture, etx..´´i respect them as a musicians, but i don´t like their music...

i´m a big fan of the strokes, QOTSA, interpol, Foo fighters, also i like panic at the disco, A.F.I, slipknot and trivium, maybe i´m dumb..........
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• prepare to get eaten alive
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    tonadax wrote:
    please ´´not indie,underground,not my morning jacket, kings of leon, the decemberist, the rapture, etx..´´i respect them as a musicians, but i don´t like their music...

i´m a big fan of the strokes, QOTSA, interpol, Foo fighters, also i like panic at the disco, A.F.I, slipknot and trivium, maybe i´m dumb..........

I much prefer straight up rock to any of that pretentious indie or britpop pablum that many on the boards seem to gravitate toward.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Eat me alive, I dont care.

I started with Bon Jovi at age 9. I still like em. working class rock, and they are fronted by a guy whose politics I like.

After coming dangerously close to being a clone of every other 8th grader Aerosmith (Particularly 70's aerosmith) saved me (also lead me to PJ)

My sister is a lesbian so in came the Indigo Girls. Who put on great shows and are again my kinda politics.

Then came college and a little band called emmet swimming. who while slightly poppy are politically okay with me too.

I own most of green days stuff because I enjoy that.

I like a lot of music, and I'll even admit that I like rap too (NWA). Mainly the politically charged stuff but I like to have fun as well. I even like Journey, and I know some other people do to.

PJ is my main squeeze, but you cant help where/how you grew up. I gave up trying to be cooler than anyone else a long time ago. (Well I still make fun of Britney Spears at least)
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    new music idea:

Hey I think you really might like this band called the Burden Brothers. They are straight up rock and are just awesome. Vaden Todd Lewis (lead singer) was the lead singer for platum selling band the Toadies. Taz Bentley (early rev horton heat drummer is on drums). They are on tour right now, and their live shows are bad ass. I've seen them live 4 times already. They meet the fans and sign stuff for ya after the shows too.

Take a listen to some songs on their site: on the media player
    http://www.theburdenbrothers.com
    Hope this helps.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    I'm actually pretty happy to mention the strokes. I like them too.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    tonadax wrote:

amen...

im a fan of a lot of those bands too...a lot of those indie bands are overrated or just suck.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • I despise the strokes, but I like the Foo Fighters a ton. The Decemberists are awesome, but I don't like that many indie bands either. I just can't find much melody or anything interesting in there music. Which is strange because I love progressive rock and long complex songs, it's just that many indie bands seem to be coma inducing to me.
  • tonadax wrote:
    i´m a big fan of the strokes, QOTSA, interpol

i'm certainly a fan of these 3
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    U2. Judging by their last tour and album sales, they're still pretty popular. I still think they're making good music, even though on here a lot of people dislike them.

Green Day's last album was a total surprise, better than I expected it to be.

I like the Strokes as well, I saw them last year and they put on a good show.

I haven't listened to any new Foo Fighters since One By One, which was a total disappointment.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • tonadax wrote:

panic at the disco, A.F.I, slipknot and trivium, maybe i´m dumb..........
    suckfest.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,869
    tonadax wrote:

The only band you listed that didn't start as "indie,underground" is the Foo Fighters, does that mean in 3 years you'll love my morning jacket, kings of leon, the decemberists, and the rapture?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    It is much easier to listen to whatever music you enjoy and not concern yourself with how popular it is.
  • CM1847 wrote:
    It is much easier to listen to whatever music you enjoy and not concern yourself with how popular it is.

bingo....although i do find much of the indie music that is promoted on this board to be rather bland for my tastes. i generally prefer more straight-up rock but some indie rock is pretty good, interpol are fantastic for instance.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    i have no shame in saying i heart matchbox twenty :D

nothing wrong with liking a wide variety of music
    wah
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    tonadax wrote:

" the strokes, QOTSA, interpol, Foo fighters, also i like panic at the disco, A.F.I, slipknot and trivium = " Popular Rock Bands " ? ? :confused::confused::confused:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    " the strokes, QOTSA, interpol, Foo fighters, also i like panic at the disco, A.F.I, slipknot and trivium = " Popular Rock Bands " ? ? :confused::confused::confused:
    I've seen all of those bands on popular music channels quite often when they have albums out. I've never ever heard The Decemberists, Kings of Leon, ect on the radio, so yeah I'd say those bands listed are pretty popular. :confused:
  • libragirl wrote:
    amen...

im a fan of a lot of those bands too...a lot of those indie bands are overrated or just suck.
    I agree! Not saying that a lot of you are, but there are so many people who are into indie bands simply because they want to be the indie music guy, not because they actually enjoy the music. Personally, I can't get into the indie bands that are the current fad. I don't like them, and I'm not going to pretend that I do.

I have so many friends who "like" bands because they're "supposed" to. I don't buy into that bullshit. They'll say, "I like this song, but I don't think I'm supposed to" about, for instance, the new The Fray song. Or, "I'm supposed to like Broken Social Scene, but I don't", and yet, continue to listen to them, hoping they'll grow on them, because they will be cool if they do.

Enjoy what you enjoy. Music is subjective and we all have our own unique musical tastes. Unless, of course, you're a fan of Nickelback. That's just wrong. ;):D
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    red mos wrote:
    new music idea:

Hey I think you really might like this band called the Burden Brothers. They are straight up rock and are just awesome. Vaden Todd Lewis (lead singer) was the lead singer for platum selling band the Toadies. Taz Bentley (early rev horton heat drummer is on drums). They are on tour right now, and their live shows are bad ass. I've seen them live 4 times already. They meet the fans and sign stuff for ya after the shows too.

Take a listen to some songs on their site: on the media player
    http://www.theburdenbrothers.com
    Hope this helps.

Burden Brothers kick ass!
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • I don't mind:
    Foo Fighters
    Strokes
    QOTSA
    Linkin Park
    Audiosuck
    RHCP
    Incubus
    NERDS!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    bingo....although i do find much of the indie music that is promoted on this board to be rather bland for my tastes. i generally prefer more straight-up rock but some indie rock is pretty good, interpol are fantastic for instance.

yeah... im really getting into buckcherry and the like.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I love any music that moves me, whether it's indie, mainstream...whatever. Like a lot of folks on this board, I'm a HUGE indie-rock fan, but I certainly don't judge a band just because they're signed to a major label and have mass appeal. There are plenty of "popular" bands/artists that I enjoy immensely:

U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Foo Fighters
    Neil Young
    Bob Dylan
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Pearl Jam
    The Tragically Hip (insanely popular here in Canada)
    Blue Rodeo (also huge in Canada)
    Radiohead
    The Black Crowes
    Tom Petty
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    R.E.M.
    Coldplay (I'm tired of having to explain my reasons for liking these guys)
    Beck
    Green Day (say what you want about them, but American Idiot was fuckin' brilliant. Three words: Jesus of Suburbia)
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • I like Pearl Jam.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • I like Pearl Jam.
    Shame they all mysteriously died in 1995 isn't it?

I hear Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament finally unlocked the portal to the 4th dimension.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    zircona1 wrote:
    U2. Judging by their last tour and album sales, they're still pretty popular. I still think they're making good music, even though on here a lot of people dislike them.

Green Day's last album was a total surprise, better than I expected it to be.

I like the Strokes as well, I saw them last year and they put on a good show.

I haven't listened to any new Foo Fighters since One By One, which was a total disappointment.

Interesting !! I loved One by One, but In Your Honour left me cold. How many octave riff songs can one man write ?? Learning to Fly is still one of funniest clips ever !! LIke Green Day too, a few lacklustre efforts, but overall a good smattering of gems over the years, and American Idiot was superb. Punk opera, how cool is that ?? Who cares about the eyeliner, nearly every indie/alt band has done a degree of dress-ups, it's part of the show.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I love Edwin McCain, Lifehouse and the Foo Fighters.

And last weekend, I enjoyed seeing the Panic Channel.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Interesting !! I loved One by One, but In Your Honour left me cold. How many octave riff songs can one man write ?? Learning to Fly is still one of funniest clips ever !! LIke Green Day too, a few lacklustre efforts, but overall a good smattering of gems over the years, and American Idiot was superb. Punk opera, how cool is that ?? Who cares about the eyeliner, nearly every indie/alt band has done a degree of dress-ups, it's part of the show.

I agree with the first poster, One by One was a major disappointment. Its dull and lacks any kind of fire or passion that Grohl had on the previous two albums.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I too enjoy some popular bands - i'm not just a pretentious indie rock snob (contrary to popular opinion) who bases their love of music on how many units a band has shifted. I quite enjoy:

Tool
    Beck
    Queens Of The Stoneage
    Radiohead
    Death Cab For Cutie
    Neil Young
    Oasis
    Nirvana
    the Strokes
    Soul Asylum
    Coldplay (own all their albums)
    the Cure
    U2
    REM
    Sarah McLachlan
    the Beatles
    Blind Melon
    the White Stripes
    Snow Patrol
    .....I even own a 30 Seconds To Mars album - gasp - how emo am I, eh?
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I don't understand a statement like "indie bands suck." A band "sucks" because they're signed to a small record label? Call me crazy, but I think a musician's sound has little to do with how many records they sell, how those records are distributed, or how trendy their fans are (okay, pop music may be a different story . . .). "Indie" has to be one of the least useful adjectives used to describe the sound of a band, right along with "emo," and yes, "grunge."

I might also add that this argument is a two-way street. You might call a Decemberists fan an "indie snob," but I fail to see how that's more acceptable than that same "snob" saying your tastes are too "mainstream." You're both snobs. I can't stand the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, but it has nothing to do with how popular they are. I don't like they're sound, but I'm not going to tell anyone that their favorite band "sucks" for any reason, and certainly not because they get a lot of radio play. It's just music! Why can't we live and let live?

That said, Pearl Jam, Neil Young and The Beatles are some of my favorites. I like Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and Weezer. I don't mind listening to U2, Foo Fighters and Tom Petty. My favorite band right now is Wilco, I'm enjoying the new Shin's CD, and I've come to love My Morning Jacket over the last year or so. In my eyes, from the first band I listed to the last, it's all good music. That's all I need to know.
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Tool, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, The White Stripes, Led Zeppelin, The Who, QOTSA, The Black Crowes, Soundgarden, RATM... the list goes on and on...

edit: listening to NIN right now
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • U2 is the world biggest band!! period!

pearl jam too, but they're not in the same music!
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi