Punk or Metal?

13»

Comments

• xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    hahaha. yes. are you familiar w/ Mushmouth/Out To Win? it's a nickname i got about 8 years ago because everytime i hung out w/ a certain bunch of friends i always wore a Mushmouth tshirt.

Shit, they are seriously a top 10 band of mine. I like Pearl Jam......and hardcore.

I saw Mushmouth a bunch of times in the 90's in Philly and the area...only once in Reading. I went to Baltimore a year ago for their final show at Earth Crisis' reunion show. I love Earth Crisis (but i'm not even straight edge), but Out to Win blew them off the stage that night. They were, and still are, one of my favorites. I really can't believe another Pearl Jam fan even KNOWS them.
  • LOL I was going to but then I was like 'NOW HANG ON ONE DOG-GAWN MINUTE!!!'

rofl.
    i just had too.
    it was too easy.
    :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    xkevvx wrote:
    Shit, they are seriously a top 10 band of mine. I like Pearl Jam......and hardcore.

I saw Mushmouth a bunch of times in the 90's in Philly and the area...only once in Reading. I went to Baltimore a year ago for their final show at Earth Crisis' reunion show. I love Earth Crisis (but i'm not even straight edge), but Out to Win blew them off the stage that night. They were, and still are, one of my favorites. I really can't believe another Pearl Jam fan even KNOWS them.
    i went to high school w/ Chris M, but he is a bit older than me. i know his brother Zee much better.

dude, i didn't even know they broke up!!! that sucks! i saw them a ton of times in Reading back in the day. saw them open for Hatebreed in Allentown, saw them open for Hatebreed/Candiria/Pro-Pain in Philly.. but the last time i saw them was w/ Burnt By The Sun in Reading.
  • JaneNY wrote:
    Punk. I grew up on punk. I still like it, and I like some of the (relatively) newer stuff like Rancid. Of late I've discovered the Street Dogs. Some metal yes, but more punk, out of those 2 genres. I wasn't that into Zeppelin in the 70's. It was Television, Dead Boys, Ramones, and Patti Smith whose records I bought.
    Pattieeeeeeee

Jane, you like all the best stuff.
  • metal....
    melodic death metal such as in flames, at the gates, arch enemy, amon amarth all kick ass

groove metal such as machine head, pantera, white zombie

post metal like isis, jesu, cult of luna and pelican

prog metal like opeth and tool

stoner metal like kyuss and black lamb

of course can't forget thrash metal like slayer and metallica although i do HATE megadeth

also alt metal like a perfect circle, faith no more and such and such

punk sucks
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    tonadax wrote:
    which of the 2 music do u listen most?

Punk Or Metal

metal but I think punk is more authentic whereas a lot of metal from "back in the day" is so fabricated......(I think)
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Saturnal wrote:
    Pattieeeeeeee

Jane, you like all the best stuff.

Sounds like you do too :) Isn't Patti awesome? I saw her last summer at Lollapalooza, and then they had an album signing (I brought my Land 1975-2002), and I went to it and this is the one person in the whole universe I couldn't control going a little fangirl for. I could only stutter out 'thank you so much for everything'. That was all I could force out of my mouth.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • JaneNY wrote:
    Sounds like you do too :) Isn't Patti awesome? I saw her last summer at Lollapalooza, and then they had an album signing (I brought my Land 1975-2002), and I went to it and this is the one person in the whole universe I couldn't control going a little fangirl for. I could only stutter out 'thank you so much for everything'. That was all I could force out of my mouth.
    Yep, I was at lolla too. Her performance was the highlight for me. I'm not sure I'd be able to say much to her either. It'd be hard to explain what her work means to me.

"There is no land but the land.
    There is no sea but the sea
    of possibility."
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    LongRd. wrote:
    Metal.

honestly, i can't stand punk. not even the so-called punk greats such as the Sex Pistols or the Ramones.
    If you can't make songs that are longer than 3 minutes, don't even bother.

I do however like the Clash, they had rhythm and melody.

same. METAL!!!
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    i went to high school w/ Chris M, but he is a bit older than me. i know his brother Zee much better.

dude, i didn't even know they broke up!!! that sucks! i saw them a ton of times in Reading back in the day. saw them open for Hatebreed in Allentown, saw them open for Hatebreed/Candiria/Pro-Pain in Philly.. but the last time i saw them was w/ Burnt By The Sun in Reading.

That Hatebreed/Candiria/ProPain show, at the Troc with Hoods being the opening band?....I was there.

They opened for Burnt By the Sun in Reading? Was that soundwaves? I was only there once when my friend's band played there. I wasn't into going there so much. But, if you ask me, Mushmouth should headline over those guys.

But yeah, Out to Win's last show was Jan 2007. It's a shame, really, because they're one of the only hardcore bands that were still around that I still really liked.
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    metal....
    melodic death metal such as in flames, at the gates, arch enemy, amon amarth all kick ass

groove metal such as machine head, pantera, white zombie

post metal like isis, jesu, cult of luna and pelican

prog metal like opeth and tool

stoner metal like kyuss and black lamb

of course can't forget thrash metal like slayer and metallica although i do HATE megadeth

also alt metal like a perfect circle, faith no more and such and such

punk sucks

All of this FTW! Except Metallica :o

Also, stick in a bit of Opeth, Corrosion of Conformity, and BIOMECHANICAAAAL!

what the hell is "groove" metal?!?
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Jennytree wrote:
    All of this FTW! Except Metallica :o

Also, stick in a bit of Opeth, Corrosion of Conformity, and BIOMECHANICAAAAL!

what the hell is "groove" metal?!?
    It's metal but groovy too.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    xkevvx wrote:
    That Hatebreed/Candiria/ProPain show, at the Troc with Hoods being the opening band?....I was there.

They opened for Burnt By the Sun in Reading? Was that soundwaves? I was only there once when my friend's band played there. I wasn't into going there so much. But, if you ask me, Mushmouth should headline over those guys.

But yeah, Out to Win's last show was Jan 2007. It's a shame, really, because they're one of the only hardcore bands that were still around that I still really liked.
    there was an opening band but i don't remember who. yeah, the Burnt By The Sun show was at Soundwaves... not too many kids came out for 'em.. probably because all their old fans are...old. hey, i have all 3 of Mushmouth's early demo tapes on my computer. PM me if you're intrested. this includes the 1997 demo with a few songs from the OTW debut, the 1996 Demo (Look Ahead) w/ Chris M singing and their first demo from 1995 (Thick As Thieves) that is really horrible.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i've read through this thread and i'm completely surprised that some people are reluctant to admit the massive punk influence on pj's sound

i mean deriously, how can stbc not be punk??????
    if it's not punk, then its a tribute to punk, so wtf?

let's see:

go
    blood
    leash
    last exit
    spin the black circle
    not for you
    whipping
    lukin
    brain of j
    breakerfall
    comatose

all of those songs pay homage to punk. if you don't believe me, tough shit.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • glasshouse wrote:
    i've read through this thread and i'm completely surprised that some people are reluctant to admit the massive punk influence on pj's sound

i mean deriously, how can stbc not be punk??????
    if it's not punk, then its a tribute to punk, so wtf?

let's see:

go
    blood
    leash
    last exit
    spin the black circle
    not for you
    whipping
    lukin
    brain of j
    breakerfall
    comatose

all of those songs pay homage to punk. if you don't believe me, tough shit.
    It's punk-sounding, but to me, it's not real punk. Real punk doesn't come out on major labels. Punk is more than a music genre imo. Bands like Dead Kennedys, Bikini Kill, Black Flag, etc. are punk. But really, who cares? Music historians I guess.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Saturnal wrote:
    It's punk-sounding, but to me, it's not real punk. Real punk doesn't come out on major labels. Punk is more than a music genre imo. Bands like Dead Kennedys, Bikini Kill, Black Flag, etc. are punk. But really, who cares? Music historians I guess.

i agree with all your statements. bottom line, pj has an undeniable punk sound inherited into their rock & roll, irrespective of whether the elitist punk fan clubs are willing to except it or not.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Come on Jammers!!! United Forces!!! UNITED FORCES!!! S.O.D.!!!!!
    ¨Pray we don´t need to change, our ways to be saved, that´s all i want to be, watch me freak!¨ - SEPULTURA
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    I like both, I think I listen to metal more, though. But I've seen more punk bands than anything else.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I grew up with both , but prefer punk more. I enjoyed Motorhead and Black Sabbath when I was younger , but with the acquisition of my first fake i/d ( yes, I GOT I/D !!!) in 1976 , and the Siren songs of CBGB and The Bottom Line ( who'll ever forget The Clash there? ) I found myself gravitating to punk more. Ramones,Dead Boys, Suicide, Patti Smith, Talking Heads, The Jam , Television,Richard Hell and The Voidoids, Dictators, UK Subs, etc.. The bands changed some in the 80's ( DK's Bad Brains, Black Flag,etc.. ) , but the taste remained the same.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    MetaL.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    I don't listen to much of either, but I guess you could call half of PJ's catalogue punk, so, erm, punk. And the Ramones I listen to.. but are they punk? The jury's out on that one.

The only metal band I have on heavy rotation these days is Deftones.

Bro, you need to hear some Megadeth "Rust in Peace." You hear "Holy Wars" and your life will be changed forever. Go to youtube and watch the MTV video for it.

That goes for everyone!
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    Those PJ songs you had mentioned have some punk feel, more close to a garage or proto punk sound ''agressive/loud tunes with screaming vocals''

I think Soundgarden have few distorted punk songs on their catalog.....
  • Punk.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA