Punk or Metal?

Comments

• xkevvx wrote:
    Ugh....it's not that. If I tell you Led Zeppelin isn't country, it's not elitist b.s. or a pissing contest....it's just the way it is...

:eek:

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

Led Zep aren't country? :(

Not even Bluegrass? :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • ok, but your hearing a punk song and saying its not punk cause pj isnt a punk band. . .id agree that 1/2 of pj's catalouge isnt punk, but they have a bunch that are

I was exaggerating when I said 'half'; I was actually hoping you would get that... oh well...
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    I was exaggerating when I said 'half'; I was actually hoping you would get that... oh well...

I know it was an exaggeration, but seriously....a COUPLE at most...
    ok, but your hearing a punk song and saying its not punk cause pj isnt a punk band. . .id agree that 1/2 of pj's catalouge isnt punk, but they have a bunch that are

Ok...you're right....but I still say STBC is not a punk song!!!!

And I'm sticking to it.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    xkevvx wrote:
    Ok...you're right....but I still say STBC is not a punk song!!!!

And I'm sticking to it.
    Listen to the song that some fans of the most definitely punk band Husker Du claimed was plagiarised (erroneously probably but it is very similar indeed) by PJ for Spin the black circle.

If Beyond the Threshold by Husker Du is punk (and it is) then so is STBC. At least as long as we defining punk as a type of music and not something else.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Listen to the song that some fans of the most definitely punk band Husker Du claimed was plagiarised (erroneously probably but it is very similar indeed) by PJ for Spin the black circle.

If Beyond the Threshold by Husker Du is punk (and it is) then so is STBC. At least as long as we defining punk as a type of music and not something else.

Well argued.

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    i listen more to metal than to punk.
    actually, I don't listen punk at all. and there's a few "metal" bands I love (deftones, sepulture, SOAD, etc.)
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Mastodon
    Baroness

My two fav metal bands today.

Not much excites me with punk music now, but i honestly have not gone looking for it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Anyway, back to the original post. I probably listen to more punk but then it's such a broad genre. I listen to a ton of bands that are nothing like each other that are described by most as punk. For example, Minor Threat and Television. Chalk and cheese.

Having said that, I like a lot of metal too although likewise, it's probably not stuff that would be considered traditional metal. Less Metallica, more Neurosis, Isis etc.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    metal, oh the day when i discovered Testament was orgasmic day indeed
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Punk
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • My listening as of now has much more punk in it than metal...well actually I really don't listen to any metal at this point unless its Metallica and I will occasionally pull out my Pantera discs. I've been listening to a lot of Bad Religion and Pennywise for a while now
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • tonadax wrote:
    Punk Or Metal?

both...
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Metal, for sure.

Most punk really sucks.
  • xkevvx wrote:
    If I tell you Led Zeppelin isn't country, it's not elitist b.s. or a pissing contest....it's just the way it is...

Dumbest thing I've read in a while.
  • Dumbest thing I've read in a while.

Huh? So you're saying Led Zeppelin is country?

• Haha, sorry. I read it the wrong way!

Of course they're not :D
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    love them both however Metal will always get the nod. Awesome time to be a metal fan right now.
  • Haha, sorry. I read it the wrong way!

Of course they're not :D

LOL I thought you might've done :D

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    I listen to more punk than metal, but only punk from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. I don't much care for the newer punk bands.
  • I listen to mostly AWESOME PUNK (metal suxorz! and is for lame-o 80s worshiping doucherockets), like:

Simple Plan
    New Found Glory
    Angles and Airwaves
    Sum 41
    Eve 6
    Fall Out Boy
    Hawthorne Heights
    Taking Back Sunday
    Yellowcard
    Good Charlotte

and anything else that kicks butt and doesn't suck!

I hate most new bands, but those are the standouts!

:D:D:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    This is a childish, and very pointless thread, why argue? Everyone knows metal is better. METAL ROOOLZ OK!
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
    I listen to mostly AWESOME PUNK (metal suxorz! and is for lame-o 80s worshiping doucherockets), like:

Simple Plan
    New Found Glory
    Angles and Airwaves
    Sum 41
    Eve 6
    Fall Out Boy
    Hawthorne Heights
    Taking Back Sunday
    Yellowcard
    Good Charlotte

Yeah, that's what I'm sayin'! Pearl Jam sounds like none of that good stuff.
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Why choose?
    I love both Punk and Metal.
    Good music is good music :D
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • I listen to mostly AWESOME PUNK (metal suxorz! and is for lame-o 80s worshiping doucherockets), like:

Simple Plan
    New Found Glory
    Angles and Airwaves
    Sum 41
    Eve 6
    Fall Out Boy
    Hawthorne Heights
    Taking Back Sunday
    Yellowcard
    Good Charlotte

going fishing, eh? lets see if someone takes the bait. . .
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • going fishing, eh? lets see if someone takes the bait. . .

LOL I was going to but then I was like 'NOW HANG ON ONE DOG-GAWN MINUTE!!!'

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    xkevvx wrote:
    You mean like Mushmouth?
    hahaha. yes. are you familiar w/ Mushmouth/Out To Win? it's a nickname i got about 8 years ago because everytime i hung out w/ a certain bunch of friends i always wore a Mushmouth tshirt.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Punk. I grew up on punk. I still like it, and I like some of the (relatively) newer stuff like Rancid. Of late I've discovered the Street Dogs. Some metal yes, but more punk, out of those 2 genres. I wasn't that into Zeppelin in the 70's. It was Television, Dead Boys, Ramones, and Patti Smith whose records I bought.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008

If the kids are united, we will never be divided!