The Shins

Comments

• boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    culot4 wrote:
    It is a different album, and the more Ilisten to it the more I like it. I liked it the first time I heard it, and I've been listening to it all the time. This, to me, is the Shins- No Code. That is very high praise, but well deserved. The review in Rolling Stone reads like a listener who is disappointed that it wasn't another Chutes Too Narrow.

I like the No Code analogy culot. The Shins definitely went in a different direction, but it works in a beautiful way. Sea Legs is far removed from anything else they've done, but I can't stop listening to it. Australia and Sleeping Lessons too. This is really an incredible album.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    boroff89 wrote:
    I like the No Code analogy culot. The Shins definitely went in a different direction, but it works in a beautiful way. Sea Legs is far removed from anything else they've done, but I can't stop listening to it. Australia and Sleeping Lessons too. This is really an incredible album.

Right on man, I feel the exact same way. Sleeping Lessons has really grown on me, its such a perfect opener. The whole atmosphere of the entire record is totally unique. Its selfish in a way, but I really don't want this band to blow up too huge because I don't know if they could handle it. It took them this long to follow up Chutes, and you can totally tell they put a lot into it. I think Red Rabbits- Turn On Me is my favorite 1-2 punch. I usually go back and listen to those two before making through the entire album. Sailor Girl has become a favorite too.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • the alternate version of split needles is imo a lot better.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
    no way in hell is their first album more accessible than chutes too narrow. it's very weird and lo-fi. their second is a bright pop album. ive been listening to it quite a bit and it is growing on me. i think im going to go to the show after all and scrap bright eyes. i hear their shows suck anyway and it'd be me and a bunch of little girls. plus, pete yorn is coming to town! im curious about this new album though given the hype it's been getting.

If you have the chance to go, I would go if I were you. They're playing nowhere close to me except for the midnight Virgin show in NYC, and there is no way I could do that. The first album just grabbed me quicker, I don't know why. Maybe because of Caring is Creepy, Girl on the Wing, and Past and the Pending. I don't like Chutes any more or any less, it just took me longer.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • worldworld Posts: 266
    Anybody a fan? Anybody going to see them next month in Chicago?

Got my tickets! It sold out in only a few days too. I cant wait, my fiance's three favorite bands are Nine Inch Nails, Pearl Jam, and The Shins. The only band we havent seen yet is The Shins, we are very excited. They were REALLY good on SNL. They played very slow and relaxing. They will be on Letterman on the 23rd also.
    Chicago '98, Noblesville '00, East Troy '00, Chicago '00, Champaign '03, Chicago '03, Chicago1 '06, Chicago2 '06, Milwaukee '06, Chicago1 '09, and Chicago2 '09
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I listened to the second half of the album coming into work today and it started to hit me.

I'm liking it more now.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    culot4 wrote:
    If you have the chance to go, I would go if I were you. They're playing nowhere close to me except for the midnight Virgin show in NYC, and there is no way I could do that. The first album just grabbed me quicker, I don't know why. Maybe because of Caring is Creepy, Girl on the Wing, and Past and the Pending. I don't like Chutes any more or any less, it just took me longer.

it sold out, so i guess im SOL. unless anyone ehre has an extra. it's cool though, ive got enough shows lined up for spring. my only disappointment is trying to convince my gf to see the hold steady with me.
  • Its selfish in a way, but I really don't want this band to blow up too huge because I don't know if they could handle it. It took them this long to follow up Chutes, and you can totally tell they put a lot into it.
    Agreed. They were on the cover of a local weekly here and it almost made me sad. I'm happy for their success, I just hope they stay with Sub Pop and take their time developing as a band.
    the alternate version of split needles is imo a lot better.
    Again, I am in total agreement. I think the that version should be on the record - would have mixed it up a bit more, I think.
    Got my tickets! It sold out in only a few days too. I cant wait, my fiance's three favorite bands are Nine Inch Nails, Pearl Jam, and The Shins. The only band we havent seen yet is The Shins, we are very excited.
    Yay, we'll see you there! It's sold out already?
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    no way in hell is their first album more accessible than chutes too narrow. .
    i disagree
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • NOCODE#1 wrote:
    i disagree

i agree. the second album, is a sunny, happy, poppy album......their first is great but is something you'd listen to when you're relaxing. harder to get into.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i agree. the second album, is a sunny, happy, poppy album......their first is great but is something you'd listen to when you're relaxing. harder to get into.

precisely. which was why i didnt get the shins until just recently.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Can't wait to pick up this album today, I held off on the leak for what seems like 6 months.

For what it's worth, I think Oh, Inverted World is more accesible because there are a few on there that are much more poppy than anything on Chutes. I had Chutes for a while, but it wasn't until I finally bought Oh, Inverted World that I became a huge fan of theirs. Songs like "New Slang", "Caring Is Creepy" and "Girl Inform Me" are all more catchy than anything on Chutes.
  • I'm halfway through my first listen of Wincing... i like it. I think Sleeping lessons, Phantom Limb and Red Rabbits are my favorites so far. As of right now though, it's my third favorite shins album.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
    I had no idea they renamed "Won One Too Many Fights"(if that even was its official name, not really sure) for the album that is a great song.

Good album overall, a few songs seems to experiment a little too much, but most of the songs have the same-old-Shins base with some new tweaks thrown in, those songs work best.
  • Did anyone get the actual cd yet? If so...can you confirm/deny if Andrew Bird is playing on "Red Rabbits"? It totally sounds like him...

Still waiting on my lp. *shakes fist at sub pop*
    lovin 'Australia'
    me too. I think it kind of sounds like the Old 97's. I'm diggin' the banjo.
    Guest musicians for "Red Rabbits":

Chris Funk - Lap steel
    Paloma Griffin - vocals
    Thanks. Huh. Is it just me? I hear violin.

(edited to add) Just got my record. It lists Paloma Griffin as violin on Red Rabbits.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
    Did anyone get the actual cd yet? If so...can you confirm/deny if Andrew Bird is playing on "Red Rabbits"? It totally sounds like him...

Still waiting on my lp. *shakes fist at sub pop*

me too. I think it kind of sounds like the Old 97's. I'm diggin' the banjo.
    Guest musicians for "Red Rabbits":

Chris Funk - Lap steel
    Paloma Griffin - vocals
    I downloaded it from iTunes. I like it, I cant really give a review till ive listened to it in my car a few times and on my iPod at work.
    Chicago '98, Noblesville '00, East Troy '00, Chicago '00, Champaign '03, Chicago '03, Chicago1 '06, Chicago2 '06, Milwaukee '06, Chicago1 '09, and Chicago2 '09
    Sawyer wrote:
    lovin 'Australia'

Yeah, Australia is great. My second favorite on the album after Sea Legs.
  • after listening to the album a bunch of times.....it really has sunken in. phantom limb is probably one of the most beautiful tunes you could ever hear. james mercer's voice really echoes brian wilson here. there's a couple of tunes i really don't like, but the rest of the album is great. i didn't like the album at first, but it really is shaping up to become one of the best releases of 2007.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • intodeep wrote:
    Oh yeah some big Beach boy influence.

My husband and I def heard the Beach Boy influence in this new one. We were also debating if they are good live or if their sound requires a lot of studio help.

Anyone seen them live lately?
  • I can't say I actually dig the new album that much. I've been a Shins fan for a little while (I'll admit, Garden State got me into them), and I am a little disapointed with the new album. It feels like they are almost trying really hard not to sound like the last album, which is just and understandable, but that effort to not sound like "Chutes to Narrow" hurts them a little bit musically. But I'm sure I'll grow to love it, and there are a lot of good tracks on it (At the moment I'm loving "Sleeping Lessons").
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2003: Pittsburgh
    2004: Toledo
    2005: Pittsburgh
    2006: Cleveland, Pittsburgh
    2008: D.C.
    2009: Toronto, Philly IV
    2010: Cleveland
    2011: East Troy I & II
    2013: Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Baltimore
    2014: Austin I
    2016: Fort Lauderdale, Hampton, Philly II, Chicago II
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Anybody a fan? Anybody going to see them next month in Chicago?

I like the last album, but the one that is just out is not really what I had hoped for.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
    i hear their shows suck anyway and it'd be me and a bunch of little girls.

Ive also heard the shows consist of a bunch of young girls screaming and singing.
    My husband and I def heard the Beach Boy influence in this new one. We were also debating if they are good live or if their sound requires a lot of studio help.

Anyone seen them live lately?

I saw them live in December. They were outstanding. James Mercer's voice is every bit as good live as it is on the CD.
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,881
    just got into them, got chutes too narrow a bit ago and picked up the new one wincing the night away wednsday.

Pretty good band, gonna have to see if I can catch them live sometime.
    Gotta say their lyrics are pretty weird/original which is pretty cool.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

Its been a few weeks now, and I still love Wincing. Probably my favorite Shins album to date. I still listen to it at least two times a day.
  • Australia is a really awesome tune.

Among my favorites are Australia, Phantom Limb, Sea Legs, Turn on Me, Girl Sailor.

Very good album, although I enjoyed Chutes too Narrow more.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • larslars Posts: 524
    Never heard them so they must suck
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
    lars wrote:

Wow, what a profound post.
  • lars wrote:

it's actually the other way around: if you haven't heard them, they must be good, because they wouldn't fit in with the garbage music you listen to on commercial radio.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden