The Shins

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    imho their 1st album was way better than their second

then im never gonna love these guys. i dont get the hype over this album. it's good, but not great.
  • then im never gonna love these guys. i dont get the hype over this album. it's good, but not great.

it's all a matter of taste. their second album sounds a lot different than their first, at least i think. and to me, it sounds worlds better......although i did like their big single off the first album.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • yeah, the 1st and 2nd album definitely sound different. i'd give the nod to the 1st, but chutes is also great. not sure where i'd rank the new one yet, its kind of a combo of both.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    then im never gonna love these guys. i dont get the hype over this album. it's good, but not great.
    To me, their 2nd album is much, much better than the first...and it is very good. I dig every song on Chutes Too Narrow!!
  • I saw the keyboardist for the Shins at the MMJ show last night. I can't wait for the new album.
    NERDS!
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    oktacoma wrote:
    To me, their 2nd album is much, much better than the first...and it is very good. I dig every song on Chutes Too Narrow!!

I still love Chutes the best. A far more complete album than Inverted World (although that album also rocks). That being said, I may end up liking Wincing the Night Away even more than Chutes.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
    ive listened to chutes now... it's ok. i still dont get the hype surrounding these guys. to me, they sound like sloan, the criminally under-rated canadian band. simple pop rock. not bad, but nothing to write home about.
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    depends how you look at it. The music isn't big or particularly complex but the variations and innovations are quite subtle. It's power pop really. I think fans of The Beatles, Beach Boys, Big Star would be suited to them. Well maybe all three. I'll go out on a phantom limb and say if you like all three of those then you SHOULD like The Shins.

Obviously this is a generalisation (almost everything's a generalisation) "so you're not gonna get me on that" Copyright Ricky Gervais)
    PaulJam wrote:
    depends how you look at it. The music isn't big or particularly complex but the variations and innovations are quite subtle. It's power pop really. I think fans of The Beatles, Beach Boys, Big Star would be suited to them. Well maybe all three. I'll go out on a phantom limb and say if you like all three of those then you SHOULD like The Shins.

Obviously this is a generalisation (almost everything's a generalisation) "so you're not gonna get me on that" Copyright Ricky Gervais)

that might be it. im not huge on the beach boys, never heard of big star, and early beatles is my least fav period of their career ;)
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    ive listened to chutes now... it's ok. i still dont get the hype surrounding these guys. to me, they sound like sloan, the criminally under-rated canadian band. simple pop rock. not bad, but nothing to write home about.

There is nothing simple about The Shins. If you think so, you aren't paying attention. I dig Sloan, but they aren't in the same league as The Shins in terms of music, vocals, and especially lyrics. Take some time and actually look at the lyrics to The Shins' songs. They are phenomenal, profound, and in many cases, quite complex.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
    boroff89 wrote:
    There is nothing simple about The Shins. If you think so, you aren't paying attention. I dig Sloan, but they aren't in the same league as The Shins in terms of music, vocals, and especially lyrics. Take some time and actually look at the lyrics to The Shins' songs. They are phenomenal, profound, and in many cases, quite complex.

i cant understand a word the dude is singing. and ive never really cared much for lyrics. it's all about the music and sound for me. maybe it's not simple, but it doesn't sound that complex to my untrained ear, but then, im not a musician. im not saying i dont like it, i just still dont see the hype.

im still probly going to go to that show though.
  • that might be it. im not huge on the beach boys, never heard of big star, and early beatles is my least fav period of their career ;)

if you don't like pop then, their music won't be your cup of tea.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    I'm going to see them in St. Louis on 2/11. Can't wait!
  • dont forget everyone.......the shins will be on saturday night live this evening on a new episode.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • bump!
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    crap... the snl thing reminded me i missed the hold steady on letterman... anyway, if there are a few people on here going to the shins concert, does anyone want to meet before to grab food or something? im waiting to hear back from a friend about going, but if they bail i really dont want to go alone, hehe. but then again, this friend is someone i met when i went to the snow patrol concert alone so...

anyway, im gonna be getting tix soon. if anyone's in, lemme know.
  • If you can, go see the shins. Here's why. VIVA VOCE is opening up for them. They are an amazing band. They played with them on SNL tonight. The guy and the girl on the right. I was so happy. She is also on the new album.
  • noalarms wrote:
    If you can, go see the shins. Here's why. VIVA VOCE is opening up for them. They are an amazing band. They played with them on SNL tonight. The guy and the girl on the right. I was so happy. She is also on the new album.

Viva Voce is good. That's cool that the Shins gave them some SNL exposure.

Portland is Blowin' up.
    NERDS!
    are viva voce and the shins from portland? arent the decemberists too? they really are blowing up.

also, im sorry to tell everyone i wont be attending the shins after all. ive got tickets to see brand new, bloc party, and ok go/snow patrol this spring, and finding out that bright eyes will be playing here too kinda maxed out my spring semester travel fund/sched.
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    The Shins are actually from Albequerque but moved to Portland. I thought they were great on SNL last night.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • pissed i missed this!

my friend wanted me to go out drinkin, so i obliged....... :\
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • their entire new album is streaming on their myspace at http://www.myspace.com/theshins

not as good as chutes too narrow, which imo was fucking glorious. not as much upbeat pop on this album. however, the songs that are good are really good. sea legs is interesting, phantom limb (their single) is good, and other choice songs include Australia and Red Rabbits.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • their entire new album is streaming on their myspace at http://www.myspace.com/theshins

not as good as chutes too narrow, which imo was fucking glorious. not as much upbeat pop on this album. however, the songs that are good are really good. sea legs is interesting, phantom limb (their single) is good, and other choice songs include Australia and Red Rabbits.[/quote

oh! thanks i'd forgotten it was going to be on myspace. now i have something to entertain me til the office.
    The only problem I had with it was it was too short. When it was finished I found myself in a really good mood. I love the flow and production of it. This is easily the best album I have heard in months. For me it was very accessable on the first listen, more so than Chutes but not as much as Oh, Inverted World. I know I'm going to love this record. Turn On Me used to be called Circus Walk. They debuted it in Australia last year with totally different lyrics, but its the same song. Circus Walk was actually better, I don't know why they changed it. Red Rabbits is my favorite first time listen. The intro is absolute magic. I heard Australia awhile ago too, they cleaned up that song nicely as well.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
    Thanks for the heads up! This should tide me over till my vinyl comes next week :)

They played Circus Walk at Lolla, didn't they? It'll be interesting to hear how that evolved into Turn On Me.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • culot4 wrote:
    The only problem I had with it was it was too short. When it was finished I found myself in a really good mood. I love the flow and production of it. This is easily the best album I have heard in months. For me it was very accessable on the first listen, more so than Chutes but not as much as Oh, Inverted World. I know I'm going to love this record. Turn On Me used to be called Circus Walk. They debuted it in Australia last year with totally different lyrics, but its the same song. Circus Walk was actually better, I don't know why they changed it. Red Rabbits is my favorite first time listen. The intro is absolute magic. I heard Australia awhile ago too, they cleaned up that song nicely as well.

different that you say that. I think it's much less accessible than chutes, as it isn't that upbeat pop circa 1960's style that was catchy like their last album. this is a much more complex, different album, and while i do like it the more i listen to it, i put the emphasis on just that......i think it takes a while to get into unlike their last one.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    different that you say that. I think it's much less accessible than chutes, as it isn't that upbeat pop circa 1960's style that was catchy like their last album. this is a much more complex, different album, and while i do like it the more i listen to it, i put the emphasis on just that......i think it takes a while to get into unlike their last one.

It is a different album, and the more Ilisten to it the more I like it. I liked it the first time I heard it, and I've been listening to it all the time. This, to me, is the Shins- No Code. That is very high praise, but well deserved. The review in Rolling Stone reads like a listener who is disappointed that it wasn't another Chutes Too Narrow.

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/13135057/review/13142814/wincing_the_night_away

Sort of like all those who were disappointed when PJ didn't make another Ten or VS. I can't wait until I have a physical copy of this to play on my big stereo. This album also definately deserves a listen with headphones. I also should add that I love what Anita brings to the album. I think she has a beautiful voice, and I want to check out Viva Voce.
    culot4 wrote:

no way in hell is their first album more accessible than chutes too narrow. it's very weird and lo-fi. their second is a bright pop album. ive been listening to it quite a bit and it is growing on me. i think im going to go to the show after all and scrap bright eyes. i hear their shows suck anyway and it'd be me and a bunch of little girls. plus, pete yorn is coming to town! im curious about this new album though given the hype it's been getting.
  • no way in hell is their first album more accessible than chutes too narrow. it's very weird and lo-fi. their second is a bright pop album. ive been listening to it quite a bit and it is growing on me. i think im going to go to the show after all and scrap bright eyes. i hear their shows suck anyway and it'd be me and a bunch of little girls. plus, pete yorn is coming to town! im curious about this new album though given the hype it's been getting.

their new one isn't quite as accessible as chutes too narrow, but after a few listens i am beginning to like it more. my favorite tracks would probably be girl sailor, australia, sea legs, and phantom limb.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • Wincing The Night Away is one of the best albums I've heard in a very, very long time.

Give it a couple of listens and I'm sure you'll feel the same way.
    "It's not British music, it's American music. Now c'mon." -Bob Dylan