Jon Mayer: Lame or good musician

Comments

• Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Lame!!!!!!!!!!! Wrote a pop album to become famous, and now that he has gotten there is acting like he never wanted to be popular. He can play, but the minute he quits gettin all this praise for being a great guitarist, etc etc, he will be back to writin Your Body Is a Wonderland Pt2.

Just b/c Buddy Guy, and the Band of Gypsy's approves doesnt mean anything. They are old and lookin for a security blanket for their families when they die.

Ott wrote:
    A good little quote from him:

Met Jeff Beck.
    He's one of the greatest guitar players in history.
    I guess now's a good time to link to him.
    Running into him again reminded me of why you're reading these words right now;
    Because I'm a guitar player.
    And you can't cheat at guitar playing.
    Jeff Beck wins fair and square.
    You can ask a computer to help you with singing
    But computers are afraid of guitars.
    Guitar playing rewards only the pure.
    I'm half pure. (Working on it.)
    Guitar playing helps you meet girls
    and makes sure you never see your family.
    Guitar playing never failed a lie detector test.
    I've said it before, but it deserves another go round...
    Say what you will about my words, my voice, my behavior
    but end it up with "But I gotta hand it to the guy, he can play"
    and I'm cool.
    Not that I've given up on trying on the rest...
    JM

Also, whatever he says in the album liner notes about "If you are reading this with an instrument in your lap- get to work. And deep in it. We all need you."
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Lame!!!!!!!!!!! Wrote a pop album to become famous, and now that he has gotten there is acting like he never wanted to be popular. He can play, but the minute he quits gettin all this praise for being a great guitarist, etc etc, he will be back to writin Your Body Is a Wonderland Pt2.

Just b/c Buddy Guy, and the Band of Gypsy's approves doesnt mean anything. They are old and lookin for a security blanket for their families when they die.

Do you really think that he had any artistic control over his first album? His second album he was able to break out a little bit, and this album he made a quality album. I don't think he will go back to YBIAW. He fought the record company from releasing "Daughters", but he lost that battle.

Get over yourself, he is talented
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    I have never given an album of his a real shot , I'm sorry to say

What I have heard is grotesque bubble-gum crap

I hear he's better than the stuff on the radio, but I'm not real anxious to find out for myself
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    moster78 wrote:
    And Continuum is basically a Trio album, as Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino played on every track, with some added musicians here and there. Its just mellower blues than Try!

Some strong, and some dull, moments on this album. Belief is fantastic, as is Vultures, and Bold As Love, all of which are amazing.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • good guitar player, massive pussyfoot
  • Great guitarist, I've heard some of his live jam stuff and it is amazing. On the other hands, I've listened through his first two studio CDs and absolutely LOATHED them. He has a nice voice, but his songs couldn't get any duller and his lyrics couldn't get any cheesier. And then in interviews and stuff, he just seems like the most boring guy ever to walk the planet.

I will admit though, that guy can PLAY.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    drew0 wrote:
    Some strong, and some dull, moments on this album. Belief is fantastic, as is Vultures, and Bold As Love, all of which are amazing.

Add Gravity, In Repair and Slow Dancing in A Burning Room to the list as well. I can do without Heart Of Life, and although I like the lyrics and message of Stop This Train, the music doesn't do it for me.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Do you all think he is better then John Butler?

I think John is a pretty darn good guitar player. I'd be interested in your opinions on a comparison of the two.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    intodeep wrote:
    Do you all think he is better then John Butler?

I think John is a pretty darn good guitar player. I'd be interested in your opinions on a comparison of the two.

go ahead and call me Cheesy, I like John Mayer quite a bit and think he's an excellent guitar player. If you watch him play, you can tell he feels what he plays. Cut the kid some slack.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    got into his music with the live trio record. i like that one. really like continuum. like about half of "heavier things" and really don't like the first record.

love his guitar playing. it's an obvious hybrid of later clapton and SRV.
  • the dude can play pretty well, but he's still totally lame. and his voice sounds like Dave Matthews with downs syndrome
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    Like a lot of people have said, his guitar skills are there. I don't care what others may say or think, but the guy CAN play the guitar. And for anyone to say that since BB King, Clapton, and Buddy Guy playing with him means nothing, then you couldn't be more wrong. Do you honestly think that the greatest blues guitarists ever would play with anyone they think sucks? His trio stuff was cool and I liked it. I never gave his other stuff a shot for the fact that it was all pop. When he decides to cut the crap and focus on the blues more, I'll give him a shot.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    hailhail82 wrote:
    Don't like his music, his guitar playing is boring. We do not need someone modeling themselves after Clapton.

I don't know what I think about John Mayer, but why wouldn't we want someone to model themselves after Clapton? Clapton fucking rocks.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    I think he tries to sound like a cross between Dave matthews and Jeff Buckley.
    He is no Jeff Buckley
    Grace f'n rules.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    I think he can be a good musician. He just needs to get away from his label and the pop world and start fresh.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Love him, there needs to be more like him.
    "I'm lost,I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." E.V.
  • john mayer is an awesome guitarist, and as he said himself you can diss his voice or his words but he is still a talented guitar player.
    i must say im a little surprised to see that no one mentioned that John Mayer is a huge, giant Pearl Jam fan. he talks about going through phases where he liked The Doors, Led Zeppelin, and Jimi Hendrix but every time Pearl Jam released and album he forgot about everything else. it always comes back to Pearl Jam. this guy knows what its about.
    “I don't know what this means. I don't think it means anything.”
    -Eddie Vedder
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    i must say im a little surprised to see that no one mentioned that John Mayer is a huge, giant Pearl Jam fan. he talks about going through phases where he liked The Doors, Led Zeppelin, and Jimi Hendrix but every time Pearl Jam released and album he forgot about everything else. it always comes back to Pearl Jam. this guy knows what its about.

That's true, I've said it before on here, but we (John and I, along with some other friends) practically burned out the VS album in high school driving around with that thing constantly playing. He's a real big fan......especially of No Code.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Galaxie2X4 wrote:
    On his new album Mayer says, "waiting, waiting on the world to change" Why the fuck doesn't he do something to change it besides getting stoned, playing guitar, and playing with the mop on top of his head.

On the other hand. He seems to be a good guitarist. Thoughts?

he's an amazing guitarist IMHO

he sings great, writes good songs/lyrics

i'm a fan and i don't care if you aren't ;)
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    chimpat wrote:
    That's true, I've said it before on here, but we (John and I, along with some other friends) practically burned out the VS album in high school driving around with that thing constantly playing. He's a real big fan......especially of No Code.

'Atta boy, John. No Code is a fantastic album!

I'm in the camp that is just coming around to John Mayer's music. I didn't listen to the hype over Room for Squares and I only caught a hint of Heavier Things after my sister made me give it a try. I liked it, but not enough to send me out to the record store with cash in hand.

Then about six weeks ago, I managed to stumble across a stream of Continuum and thought it was the most brilliant thing I've heard in a really long time. Particular albums can reach out and grab me--even if they're not my typical style or favorite artists--and this one did just that. I bought it as soon as it was available in stores.

I'm fully on-board and in high praise of Mayer's latest work. I think if his critics could separate this one from the earlier, label-centric, pop-fueled stuff, they might feel the same way. I mean, people have long complained about the singing voices of lots of artists. Some of those artists manage to make relevant, enjoyable, and viable music (Bob Dylan & Neil Young come to mind--not that Mayer is on par with them yet). If the critics would just dig a little into this guy's music, they might be pleasantly surprised by what they'd find: an artist coming into his own.

At least, that's what I found.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • I gotta say I can't stand his music, but it seems like the guy has remarkable music taste. I read some interview where he said he got in a really heated debate on how Huey Lewis & the News are awesome... with some guy who thought they sucked. After that interview, I have a total respect for Mayer... I still think his music sucks, but I respect him.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Check this link.....

http://music.msn.com/johnmayer
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• OttOtt Posts: 403
    NickyNooch wrote:
    I gotta say I can't stand his music, but it seems like the guy has remarkable music taste. I read some interview where he said he got in a really heated debate on how Huey Lewis & the News are awesome... with some guy who thought they sucked. After that interview, I have a total respect for Mayer... I still think his music sucks, but I respect him.
    Hilarious!! I swore I heard some HUey Lewis influence on the new shit. This confirms it.

Ott
    'Give me some music; music, moody food/ of us that trade in love'
    -Shakespeare
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    good musician...but i'm tired of hearing about him.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • Ott wrote:
    Hilarious!! I swore I heard some HUey Lewis influence on the new shit. This confirms it.

Ott

Yeah in that same interview he said a lot of positive stuff about Pearl Jam. Once again, hate his music... but I respect Mayer now.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• rhinomagic wrote:

Then about six weeks ago, I managed to stumble across a stream of Continuum and thought it was the most brilliant thing I've heard in a really long time. Particular albums can reach out and grab me--even if they're not my typical style or favorite artists--and this one did just that. I bought it as soon as it was available in stores.

continuum is an awesome cd

that live one is also amazing

both cds are A+ from start to finish
  • floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    chimpat wrote:
    Check this link.....

http://music.msn.com/johnmayer

This is a good show.
  • ok here's my two cents:

only like try!

*~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    zstillings wrote:
    This is a good show.

That was one hell of a show! One of the best I've been to in a long time. When he stops playing and the band kicks in and he goes "This is Continuum"... awesome. I rewatched that show, and a show I saw the Trio do last year over the weekend and I'm still amazed at his talent. I want his Strat! And some of his talent to go with it.
  • he is an exceptional guitarist....however i dont like his music
    No one is Righteous.......