Nivana or AIC Unplugged

13»

Comments

• prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Have you ever noticed the great repeatition in all of Kurt's songs? It's insane to call him the "lyric master." Every single damn song has something repeated over and over again. Some consider it catchy, and I admit that on some songs I do, but it's not the greatest writing of all time.

"Hello, hello, hello, how low" Repeat
    "I think I'm Dumb" Repeat
    "And I swear that I don't have gun" Repeat
    "Memoria" Repeat
    "Rape me, rape me, rape me, rape me" Repeat
    "Grandma take me home" Repeat
    "I'm not gonna crack" Repeat
    "I'm on a plain, I can't complain" Repeat
    "Something in the way" Repeat
    "She should have been a son" Repeat
    "Hey,Wait. I've got a new complaint. Forever in debt to your priceless advice" Repeat.

And there are so many more that follow this same formula. I don't hate it, but let's not call this guy Lyric God.

"Like the coldest winter chill, heaven beside you" Repeat with minor word changes
    "I live tomorrow, you will not follow, as you wallow, in a sea of sorrow" Repeat.
    "I stay away" Repeat.
    "Since you died, died." Repeat.

Not like AIC never does it either.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    AIC fucking own Nirvana
  • danny72688 wrote:
    "Like the coldest winter chill, heaven beside you" Repeat with minor word changes
    "I live tomorrow, you will not follow, as you wallow, in a sea of sorrow" Repeat.
    "I stay away" Repeat.
    "Since you died, died." Repeat.

Not like AIC never does it either.

I never said they didn't, every band does. It's impossible to avoid. But what I'm saying is just about EVERY Nirvana song does. Every single one, especially the hits. You got like 4 or 5 Chains songs that do. Big difference.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    I never said they didn't, every band does. It's impossible to avoid. But what I'm saying is just about EVERY Nirvana song does. Every single one, especially the hits. You got like 4 or 5 Chains songs that do. Big difference.
    Yeah, Nirvana repeats a lot more I think.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • dirtyT wrote:
    Ok, here is another which one do you like better? Who's performance is better? Is this tough, or a NO BRAINER? Does the fact that Nirvana played so many covers make a difference to you? Which one do you like better?

Nirvana's performance is better. I think it's a no-brainer. The fact that Nirvana played so many covers does not make a difference to me. I like the Nirvana's performance a lot better.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Love both of them but AIC takes it for sure..Honestly the AIC unplugged is the best I've ever seen by any band...what a show !..I watch it alot still..especially late at night when I back from the bar drunk..
    AIC Unplugged = CLASSIC
    Master of Zen
  • esther1977esther1977 Posts: 540
    Alice in chains !!
    When all your dreams turn to dust, vacuum
    When all else fails, read the instruction
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Well Pearl Jam does it a whole lot as well (Why go home?, Don't go on me, This is not for you, Never thought you'd habit; just to throw a few out in defense of my claim :cool: ). It just depends on the band's style, though you are correct that Nirvana does it for most songs.

And I could list more songs by AIC that do the repeat thing, but I felt like four was enough.
  • mramonemramone Posts: 168
    for me

****** ALICE IN CHAINS *******

by far .......
    "Hey Ho ... Let´s Go "
  • prodacakeprodacake Posts: 319
    got to be nirvana
  • NickyNooch wrote:
    Nirvana no question. "Where did you sleep last night" I rest my case.

Greatest tune on the album. I have the Leadbelly original. Nirvana wins this one.
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
  • dirtyT wrote:
    I agree. I never thought Kirk was that exceptional as a song writer. Good point.

I disagree. I think Cobain is an exceptional songwriter. I don't think he gets enough credit because his songs sound poppy. But they are incredibly heavy at the same time with great lyrics.

I disagree. I think Cobain is an exceptional songwriter. I don't think he gets enough credit because his songs sound poppy. But they are incredibly heavy at the same time with great lyrics.

Do you think he is a better songwriter than Eddie or Jerry Cantrell?
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • I Am GoneI Am Gone Posts: 831
    AIC wins this hands down for me.
    REMEMBER KIDS....

The Bible is full of lies - Stone is the leader of us all!
  • mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 474
    I'm Gone wrote:
    AIC wins this hands down for me.

Same here
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    I'm gonna have to go with Nirvana on this one.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I like both unplugged albums but the best one is AIC out of the two by a mile. The nirvana one had too many covers and not enough original material. However the covers were done very well.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • red mos wrote:
    I like both unplugged albums but the best one is AIC out of the two by a mile. The nirvana one had too many covers and not enough original material. However the covers were done very well.

I completely agree. Nirvana's is damn good, but AIC's is damn great.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • dirtyT wrote:
    Do you think he is a better songwriter than Eddie or Jerry Cantrell?

Yes and no. lol They are all different.

For catchier tunes I go with Kurt.

For heavier/darker stuff: Jerry.

For passionate/moving songs: Eddie.

For me there is just something about Cobain's heaviness but yet poppy song writing that I love. I think people think he was too basic and repetitious with his stuff and I disagree.

• Brainofdz wrote:
    Oh, well since you put it that way, you must be correct,
    I don't know what I was thinking.
    Thank you for enlightening me jerk off
    I agree with him. Kurt was a hack compared to Jerry.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • As i've said before, I LOVE Nirvana,.. but what's interesting about their unplugged..

To me,.. The highlights were the Meatpuppets songs, the Ledbelly cover, and the Bowie cover. So the covers dominated the performance in my opinion... Not that the originals were bad (Pennyroyal Tea in particular was beautiful), but that's always kind of knocked the performance down a notch for me.

Good point. I agree with you that their covers are the highlights of the album. Though for some reason I still like Nirvana's better. Maybe it's because of where I was with each band when both of them came out. As far as overall which band I like better I can't say. They are too different but I love them both.

Both singers were probably into smack given that Alice never put out another album and Cobain died shortly after.

• Alice, Nirvana, PJ and Soundgarden are all sort of similar, so a lot of people are big fans of all, some, one of the bands. My upstairs neighbor is a huge fan of Soundgarden, Nirvana and Alice in Chains so I asked him if he liked Pearl Jam. he said "not really" and I was surprised. he said "I was into the jeremy spoke in class stuff in high school like everyone else was but i dont really listen to them." holds true with all four of these bands. maybe the huge Nirvana fan in high school kinda fazed them out after college or the Soundgarden Black Hole Sun fan has moved on to more alternative type stuff like Smashing Pumpkins. the hardcore fans are always there but it all varies after that.

all four have varying appeals though. Early Soundgarden and most Alice appeals to metal fans while Pearl Jam and Nirvana fall more into the 90's alternative stuff. I'm sure more girls listen to Pearl Jam than do Alice In Chains. and I'm sure fans of popular music have more Nirvana on their Ipod than they do Soundgarden. all four have their place. I'm lucky enought to like them all that's like, a ton of good tunes to listen to

You know you're right - in all my years of talking music with peers, co-workers, classmates, and fellow musicians, I've only ever came across 2 girls that actually like Alice in Chains. And only one of the two was a huge fan. In fact most girls I've ever known DESPISE Alice in Chains.
    What I Should Have Said...Was Nothing.
  • You know you're right - in all my years of talking music with peers, co-workers, classmates, and fellow musicians, I've only ever came across 2 girls that actually like Alice in Chains. And only one of the two was a huge fan. In fact most girls I've ever known DESPISE Alice in Chains.

"You Know You're Right"- Great NIrvana song. :)

• parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    I like Nirvana U better than AIC U...

That Nirvana show is a classic.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Ive always thought that the AIC unplugged was really crappy. its not that im sure their music doesnt go well unplugged.......it was just something, love dirt and eponymous but hated the unplugged.
    therefore it'd have to be the nirvana, which again I always thought was overated
    elmer wrote:
    Ive always thought that the AIC unplugged was really crappy. its not that im sure their music doesnt go well unplugged.......it was just something, love dirt and eponymous but hated the unplugged.
    therefore it'd have to be the nirvana, which again I always thought was overated
    Speaking of Crappy and bands music not going good unplugged, any one see the train wreck, that is Korn unplugged? WOW!!!
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    *as i stroll into this thread listening to Brother from unplugged*

AIC for sure
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable