Nivana or AIC Unplugged

Comments

• transplant wrote:
    agree with this.

Yep.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Alice by a long shot. I think it's the best Unplugged ever IMO. Nirvana's was overrated unoriginal crap. Why people love Nirvana I will never get. SUre some of their songs were catchy but damn they didn't have any replay value. I can still sit down with friends and listen to any AiC CD front to back without a problem.

Oh and in the words of Jerry Cantrell:

"But Kurt Cobain was such a shitty guitarist"

Sorry had to do it....lol.
  • Nirvana's was great but I think Alice had the best unplugged in the program's existence.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    Nirvana unplugged is overrated and AIC is very underrated
  • pjalive21 wrote:
    Nirvana unplugged is overrated and AIC is very underrated

I agree with you that Alice's unplugged is underrated but I still like Nirvana's much bettter.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • As i've said before, I LOVE Nirvana,.. but what's interesting about their unplugged..

To me,.. The highlights were the Meatpuppets songs, the Ledbelly cover, and the Bowie cover. So the covers dominated the performance in my opinion... Not that the originals were bad (Pennyroyal Tea in particular was beautiful), but that's always kind of knocked the performance down a notch for me.

"Make our day"
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Nirvana, because truthfully I have problems getting through the whole AIC one, we played it at work and by the end I was like OK time to move on, this was during over now too, I didn't even make it thourgh the whole record. I really like AIC and the first half of that unplugged is killer but after frogs (I think) I'm done with it.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    I like Nirvana very much, but I guess compared to the mindless heavy metal shredding of Cantrell, Kurt's playing paled in comparison.

If thats what you want, go ahead and enjoy it assholes.

And incidentally, I like Chains. I'm just so sick of hearing about how they blow Nirvana away.

I have some news for you. THEY DON'T.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Brainofdz wrote:

And incidentally, I like Chains. I'm just so sick of hearing about how they blow Nirvana away.

I have some news for you. THEY DON'T.

Alice, Nirvana, PJ and Soundgarden are all sort of similar, so a lot of people are big fans of all, some, one of the bands. My upstairs neighbor is a huge fan of Soundgarden, Nirvana and Alice in Chains so I asked him if he liked Pearl Jam. he said "not really" and I was surprised. he said "I was into the jeremy spoke in class stuff in high school like everyone else was but i dont really listen to them." holds true with all four of these bands. maybe the huge Nirvana fan in high school kinda fazed them out after college or the Soundgarden Black Hole Sun fan has moved on to more alternative type stuff like Smashing Pumpkins. the hardcore fans are always there but it all varies after that.

all four have varying appeals though. Early Soundgarden and most Alice appeals to metal fans while Pearl Jam and Nirvana fall more into the 90's alternative stuff. I'm sure more girls listen to Pearl Jam than do Alice In Chains. and I'm sure fans of popular music have more Nirvana on their Ipod than they do Soundgarden. all four have their place. I'm lucky enought to like them all that's like, a ton of good tunes to listen to
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    Both unpluggeds are great, but i prefer the nirvana one... why, maybe because nirvana never had worked acoustically speaking in studio,this experience was something almost new for them and that´s why they surprised us.... AIC previously had worked in acoustic, SAP and Jar of flyes, are albums full of acoustic guitars...

also nivana covers are a big factor of why many people prefer nirvana un plugged over AIC un...
  • Chains. Hands down.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    nirvana!
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~

Oh and in the words of Jerry Cantrell:

"But Kurt Cobain was such a shitty guitarist"

Oh and in the words of me:

"Jerry Cantrell is a brain dead heavy metal hick who couldn't cary Kurt's lyric book"
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

• Brainofdz wrote:

"Jerry Cantrell is a brain dead heavy metal hick who couldn't cary Kurt's lyric book"

Oh my lord, couldn't help but laugh at this one. Cantrell is sooooo much more than a "heavy metal hick." You ever once listened to Sap or Jar of Flies? They don't sound very heavy to me at all. Jerry has more talent in his pinky that Kurt could have ever dreamed of.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • Alice in chains! Layne's voice was godly
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Love Nirvana, but AIC is a better Unplugged CD.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Oh my lord, couldn't help but laugh at this one. Cantrell is sooooo much more than a "heavy metal hick." You ever once listened to Sap or Jar of Flies? They don't sound very heavy to me at all. Jerry has more talent in his pinky that Kurt could have ever dreamed of.
    I think Jar Of Flies blows all 3 nirvana records away.. but that's just me.

"Make our day"
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    I think Jar Of Flies blows all 3 nirvana records away.. but that's just me.
    Jar of Flies and Sap are both very special, special and unique albums. They are 2 of the best to come out of the whole Seattle/Grunge scene, in my humble opinion.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Although i was sick of seeing it for a LONG time, Nirvana is my fav. There was a bit too many covers in there for my liking though, but the Meat Puppets ones were great.
    After that i bought the Meat Puppets album with those songs on it... and they were awful, lol.

AIC unplugged is still great though. Layne and Kurt's singing on those shows are absolutely immense.
    Ironically enough, it is probably both of their, LAST great performances.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
    Oh my lord, couldn't help but laugh at this one. Cantrell is sooooo much more than a "heavy metal hick." You ever once listened to Sap or Jar of Flies? They don't sound very heavy to me at all. Jerry has more talent in his pinky that Kurt could have ever dreamed of.

First of all, I love chains.
    I'm just getting entirely sick of all the Cobain bashing going on here
    so like a cranky child, I allowed myself to get sucked into namecalling

so let me re-state my opinion

Chains was a great band. Cantrell is a hick, but obviously a top guitarist and damn good lyricist
    The depth of his lyrics do not touch that of Kurt's.

• gotta go with Nirvana Unplugged over AIC (Although AIC is a way better band than Nirvana could ever be!)
  • Kind of like trying to decide if Beethoven or Mozart is better.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Brainofdz wrote:

That is probably the most ignorant statement I have ever seen...Kurt as a lyricist is shit compared to Jerry, and I happen to like Nirvana alot.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • I think the Nirvana performance on MTV Unplugged was better but I just don't like the all the covers. Two or three more Nirvana songs would have pushed it above Alice In Chains' MTV Unplugged. My vote is for AIC.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
    That is probably the most ignorant statement I have ever seen...Kurt as a lyricist is shit compared to Jerry, and I happen to like Nirvana alot.

Oh, well since you put it that way, you must be correct,
    I don't know what I was thinking.
    Thank you for enlightening me jerk off

• capybaraletcapybaralet Posts: 145
    Tied, completely.

Alice in Chains: almost all the songs are slightly better than the album versions. "Over Now" and "Killer is Me" at the end are phenomenal, as are the first 4. But Down in a Hole, Angry Chair, Would?, and, to a lesser degree, Rooster, don't do so well acoustic. The songs are really pretty minor key thingys, mostly, just a kind of down, relaxed atmosphere.

Nirvana: Kurt's singing is a bit too stained in a couple of songs, IMO, and I never liked "About a Girl" or "Come as You Are" all that much. The covers are FANTASTIC, though. Oh, Me! & Jesus Don't Want Me For a Sunbeam are 2 of my favorite 5 or so Nirvana recordings. A bit more sparse, overall, without the lusher, deeper, cushy sound of the AiC unplugged. The starkness works great for a lot of them.

both albums are in my top 15, and they're both my favorite from the bands... and I've tried to decide between them, but it's pretty much impossible.
    everything=3

2-1-0

4-3-2-1-0
    2---2--3---3--2----1

2-2-2-3-3-3-2-2-0

M
  • Brainofdz wrote:
    Chains was a great band. Cantrell is a hick, but obviously a top guitarist and damn good lyricist
    The depth of his lyrics do not touch that of Kurt's.

Have you ever noticed the great repeatition in all of Kurt's songs? It's insane to call him the "lyric master." Every single damn song has something repeated over and over again. Some consider it catchy, and I admit that on some songs I do, but it's not the greatest writing of all time.

"Hello, hello, hello, how low" Repeat
    "I think I'm Dumb" Repeat
    "And I swear that I don't have gun" Repeat
    "Memoria" Repeat
    "Rape me, rape me, rape me, rape me" Repeat
    "Grandma take me home" Repeat
    "I'm not gonna crack" Repeat
    "I'm on a plain, I can't complain" Repeat
    "Something in the way" Repeat
    "She should have been a son" Repeat
    "Hey,Wait. I've got a new complaint. Forever in debt to your priceless advice" Repeat.

And there are so many more that follow this same formula. I don't hate it, but let's not call this guy Lyric God.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • Its a no brainer..AIC unplugged is streaks ahead of nirvana unplugged and lyrically AIC are a lot better as far as im concerned!
    2006 - Dublin, Ire
    2007 - Katowice, Nickelsdorf, Nijmegen
    Have you ever noticed the great repeatition in all of Kurt's songs? It's insane to call him the "lyric master." Every single damn song has something repeated over and over again. Some consider it catchy, and I admit that on some songs I do, but it's not the greatest writing of all time.

"Hello, hello, hello, how low" Repeat
    "I think I'm Dumb" Repeat
    "And I swear that I don't have gun" Repeat
    "Memoria" Repeat
    "Rape me, rape me, rape me, rape me" Repeat
    "Grandma take me home" Repeat
    "I'm not gonna crack" Repeat
    "I'm on a plain, I can't complain" Repeat
    "Something in the way" Repeat
    "She should have been a son" Repeat
    "Hey,Wait. I've got a new complaint. Forever in debt to your priceless advice" Repeat.

And there are so many more that follow this same formula. I don't hate it, but let's not call this guy Lyric God.

I agree. I never thought Kirk was that exceptional as a song writer. Good point.