Bands you feel you should like, but don't.

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    should? there is no should in my life. i never feel like i should like a band for the sake of it. or because general concensus tells me i should. music has to grab me otherwise i'm not listening. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    Tool. I just imagine them appealing to all the goth people who will listen to anything that is dark. This obviously isn't true, but I just don't get them and can't get into them.

Tons of indie stuff. I like my rock with some power behind it. So much of the indie stuff out there is so soft, has no guitar solos, no power and is just plain wimpy.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Pink Floyd!! I just can stand them that much!! my sister tell me "how can you say that you have great taste of music when you don't like Pink Floyd!?" well I just answer to her "Well, my favorite band it's Pearl Jam" :D

also Joy Division not that big fan but people tell me that I have to like them!! I like one song! that's ok right!?
    Pearl Jam Mexico 2005, The greatest year ever!
    December 9, 10 - ESTA BIEN, ESTA BIEEEEEN!

www.myspace.com/clau_yellowled
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    evenflow82 wrote:
    Tool. I just imagine them appealing to all the goth people who will listen to anything that is dark. This obviously isn't true, but I just don't get them and can't get into them.

Tons of indie stuff. I like my rock with some power behind it. So much of the indie stuff out there is so soft, has no guitar solos, no power and is just plain wimpy.

i love TOOL and i'm not goth. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Oh, yeah, Tool. I just thought they were a bit silly, but they're quite good, if you like that sort of thing. I'd never buy or download anything they do, and I've heard most of it. But good luck to them. Nope, for me, there are far worse bands than Tool, who have a reputation.

I have all of Zep's albums, but compared to Hendrix, they're nothing. Nothing at all. Wearisome, in fact. Music for the masses who don't like music but are sold on classic cool.

But again, they're okay.

Edit: teasing. :p I like Zep. ;)

But I like Hendrix more.

:D
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    Bob Marley
    Tool
    Pink Floyd
    The Beatles
    Jeff Buckley

I am ALWAYS getting torn by my friends for not liking these bands. I just don't get what the fuss is about. Yes I could probably name 1 or 2 songs by them that I like but it would be a struggle.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Your soul has a hole in it if you don't like the Pixies.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    I don't feel that I SHOULD like anything, but there are a few that "everyone" seems to like that do nothing for me.

The Smashing Pumpkins: I'm waiting for the tribute album, so I can hear some of these great songs sung by decent voices.

Oasis: mediocre music performed by a couple of assholes

The Smiths: Morrissey to me is like ground glass in my ears. What a bunch of whining.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    hippiemom wrote:
    I don't feel that I SHOULD like anything, but there are a few that "everyone" seems to like that do nothing for me.

The Smashing Pumpkins: I'm waiting for the tribute album, so I can hear some of these great songs sung by decent voices.

The Smiths: Morrissey to me is like ground glass in my ears. What a bunch of whining.
    Oh yeah, how can I forget the Smiths? Or Depeche Mode? Hell, I tell ya, hell!
  • Dream Theater comes to my mind.
    I play drums so I know the quality of this band..but I...I don't know..I don't feel it. Drums solos are fenomenal, but as a whole it just doesn't do it for me (although I haven't listen to a lot of songs...um...so perhaps if I knew them better..maybe someday..)
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

• Jeff Buckley too – like someone else said I also didn’t find that magic people go on about. Like a friend of mine told me to buy grace and he was texting me as I was listening to it and was like ‘oh listen to this one’ and I’m like ‘well yeh I am… so???’. Yeh, the stuff was ok but nothing like how I thought it would be.

Soundgarden – there was only one band in the early 90s for me. Couple of decent songs but on the whole, quite diluted or something. So along with that:

Chris Cornell – I’d heard sooooo much about euphoria morning in this place that I thought ‘well I’m really gonna like this one’ and I listened and thought ‘what?’. Can’t remember where I’ve heard it before but I’ve heard it several times… I know it.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Soundgarden – there was only one band in the early 90s for me. Couple of decent songs but on the whole, quite diluted or something. So along with that:

Chris Cornell – I’d heard sooooo much about euphoria morning in this place that I thought ‘well I’m really gonna like this one’ and I listened and thought ‘what?’. Can’t remember where I’ve heard it before but I’ve heard it several times… I know it.

oh aye Hells, me too!!!!!!!!!!

I've never got Soundgarden at all...
    also Janes Addiction, his voice bugs the shit out of me...
    Blind Melon... shit...
    Alice in Chains... single fish!!!
    The Clash - i like some songs, but when they go anywhere near Reggae shite then i hit next button... i detest reggae
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • hippiemom wrote:

The fanbase of Oasis = mass delusion of a very grand scale. How do they not get bored? They ran out of ideas on their second album.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • oh aye Hells, me too!!!!!!!!!!

I've never got Soundgarden at all...
    also Janes Addiction, his voice bugs the shit out of me...
    Blind Melon... shit...
    Alice in Chains... single fish!!!
    The Clash - i like some songs, but when they go anywhere near Reggae shite then i hit next button... i detest reggae
    oh and my jury is still out on the ramones :cool: . I'm sure in THEIR DAY when it was new and different, it was cool... but I just can't see the big deal for people of MY age to go back and start listening.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    I never got into the whole Greatful Dead/Phish phenomena. I like some jam bands but these guys took it to a whole nother level that I could not get into.

I also don't get new country. Alot of people in my area love the pop country, I just don't get it. Toby Keith, Dixie Chicks, Keith Urban, I can't stand the music and the lyrics are usually retread from prior songs. I just don't like twang. I do like some old country though, but don't tell anyone.

I can not stand pop music. It is shoved down our throats by the media and it is crap. This goes for rock, rap, punk, and R&B. Anytime a producer and record label have more control over the music then the artists it is not a good thing. They ought to start naming the producer as the artist and featuring the band/vocalist.

Off my box for now. Thanks for the thread.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
    The Raconteurs. I love Jack White ..but i hate that band, that song 'Hands' annoys the life outa me, i wish he'd go make another Stripes album.
  • I second The Racontours vote, Jack White should ditch this project and go back to White Stripes asap,
  • GeorgeinNY wrote:
    I second The Racontours vote, Jack White should ditch this project and go back to White Stripes asap,

Wow... As much as I love the White Stripes, I think the Raconteurs album runs circles around the Stripes' stuff. Maybe it's just me, but with Brendan Benson on board and the dynamic of a full band, I think it's great.

But that's just my opinion.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

i will never pick a fight with you again! :)
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    The fanbase of Oasis = mass delusion of a very grand scale. How do they not get bored? They ran out of ideas on their second album.

sometimes i dont want to have to pay close attention to every note. sometimes i want something familiar and full of nothing but attitude and a good (even if ripped off) hook. that's when i listen to oasis. they make me feel like an arrogant prick and that's fun sometimes.

anyway, i need to add the white stripes to my list. i dont get it. annoying, screechy voice, mediocre songs, etc. just cos you dont know if he's fucking his sister or playing drums with his ex-wife and just becos he's weirder than fuck-all does NOT make him a musical genius.
  • ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    Wow... As much as I love the White Stripes, I think the Raconteurs album runs circles around the Stripes' stuff. Maybe it's just me, but with Brendan Benson on board and the dynamic of a full band, I think it's great.

But that's just my opinion.

second. with exception of the runs circles around part. both are good to me.

my band i should like but dont is definately THE BLACK CROWES. i am from the south into all kinds of southern rock. i'm a huge zep fan, and felt wronged that the only meaningful project page did after zep was with the black crowes. everybody says i should like them and have tried to turn me into a fan for years but it never works. there isnt anything i dont like about them except chris robinson's voice sometimes, i just dont feel it. i guess i'll have to hear the "youre missing out on great band" stuff for forever.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    There are many bands that fall into this category for me. I really resent it when someone says to me "Listen to this, you'll really like it!" because 99 times out of 100, I won't. I don't like people presuming that i'll like something, because I like something elsethat's vaguely similar.

Right, anyway.

Tool. Many people have told me to get into them, mostly because i'm a big NIN fan, but...I just don't like Tool.

Radiohead. Again, so SO many of my friends worship ths band, a few because the music press and everyone else tells them to no doubt, but i've listened a lot, and I like a few songs, but that's it. Nothing to really inspire me there. I saw a clip of them live over the summer and it was basically just Thom Yorke screaming crap into the microphone from what I could hear. Maybe I just don't get it, but...I just don't get it!

The Strokes. Another band many people I know like. One of them even got personally offended when I told him i'd seen them live and thought they weren't very good.

Mother Love Bone. I'm sorry to all the people who love them, but I just don't like Andy's voice, and that makes them unlistenable for me.

Smashing Pumpkins. Once again, I can't stand Billy's voice. It makes me want to kill things.

Any many others, such as Sleater Kinney, Death Cab For Cutie, Wilco...
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • ledhed43 wrote:
    second. with exception of the runs circles around part. both are good to me.

OK, maybe that was a bit of an overstatement... lol

Basically, from start to finish I think that Broken Boy Soldiers is simply incredible, whereas the Stripes always seem to have some hit or miss moments on their albums.

And it's funny you mentioned the Black Crowes because I just recently got an 80 gig iPod and have been working towards filling it up with everything by every artist I like to some degree. Anyways, I hadn't listened to a lot of Crowes lately but every time one of their songs comes on I'm really digging it. Oh well.

But since you reminded me of being in the south, I can't stand Lynyrd Skynyrd or the Allman Brothers Band. I don't know if it's their fans that have ruined it for me or what, but there's a total of about 3 songs between them that I can tolerate.
  • Dave Matthews Band - I just can't into their music, I even went so far as to see them live and still can't get why they are popular

Audioslave - they have two good songs, but when it comes down to it I would rather hear Chris Cornell solo or with Soundgarden

Rage Against the Machine - I appreciate the social commentary, but I can't stand the rap/metal

Led Zepplin, the Rolling Stones, The Beatles...the singles are ok but 70% of the music is garbage
    I got scratches all over my arms, one for each day since I fell apart.

Me you wouldn't recall for I'm not my former.

St. Louis 10/11/00
    West Palm Beach 4/11/03
    Kissimmee 10/8/04
    West Palm Beach 6/12/08
    Tampa 6/13/08
  • having studied rock history in some detail, I feel I should really like but don't:

janis joplin
    marvin gay
    the beastie boys
    the ramones
    iron maiden
    many, many beatles songs

I also can't get into the mars volta. some of it is "ok."

I do like queens of the stone age though. but I do understand that some of their stuff is really undigestible. when they rock they rock though.
  • I never got into the whole Greatful Dead/Phish phenomena. I like some jam bands but these guys took it to a whole nother level that I could not get into.

I also don't get new country. Alot of people in my area love the pop country, I just don't get it. Toby Keith, Dixie Chicks, Keith Urban, I can't stand the music and the lyrics are usually retread from prior songs. I just don't like twang. I do like some old country though, but don't tell anyone.

I can not stand pop music. It is shoved down our throats by the media and it is crap. This goes for rock, rap, punk, and R&B. Anytime a producer and record label have more control over the music then the artists it is not a good thing. They ought to start naming the producer as the artist and featuring the band/vocalist.

Off my box for now. Thanks for the thread.

you didn't mention why you think you *should* like this music though.
  • Okay, I know this thread is a place to express opinion but just from reading through, I feel like commenting on a couple things. To the guy who said Blind Melon is 'Shit', I just can't understand that. Blind Melon had it all, amazing vocals, great lyrics, fantastic riffs, I just don't get it whenever I see hate thrown their way (also when I see them included in some shitty ONE HIT WONDER show, man does that ever piss me off...)

Also, to the people mentioning the Beatles. Have you ever listened to Abbey Road? Beginning to end? That album is easily one of the best rock records ever recorded, bar none. And that's only the tip of the iceberg.

Now as for Tool, I can understand that. Bleak, depressing music, played extremely well, but bleak and depressing all the same. Same for Radiohead, loved them up until Kid A. I did not read up on that album before purchasing it, and sat there dumbstruck through the whole thing, waiting for some sort of guitar, or anything really, considering I really dug the first three albums.

My own personal vote goes to The Deftones. Hell, to me, they are very bland and I don't feel their music at all. Even saw them in concert once at this small venue in Michigan, and it was just an indecipherable wall of sound. I met the singer, bought a couple CDs, and have never been able to enjoy them.
    "A toast....to Canadian born Neil Young!!!" - Eddie Vedder

CANADIAN AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    aside from sea change, I don't get Beck at all.

at

all.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Soundgarden. It seems if you like pj, you naturally would like this, but I can't get into their music. U2 is kind of the same thing. Also Rhcp.
  • ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114

the allman bros. have some hit and miss moments. i mean nobody needs to hear a 23 minute jam, but overall i like them. skynyrd i can understand not liking, they aren't my favorites but have some good songs.

as far as the raconteurs go i dont really like the song yellow sun, and hands gets on my nerves sometime. level and store bought bones are my favs. i like just about every white stripes song that i consider a "real" attempt at a song, some of them are just inside jokes between jack and meg. ex. the last one on elephant that goes "i love jack white like a little brother" sorry i spaced on the title.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa