My album of the year is...

Comments

• Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    I'm definitely saying Siggy Rós as well... that album's so great, even if In Rainbows was in for this year, I'd still stay with Siggy. Take that Radiohead!
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    transplant wrote:
    Meshuggah - ObZen

this is one i have not heard yet that interest me a lot as well. Met a guy at the bar the other night we were playing some heavy picks on the juke box taking turns finally we started talking about metal etc. He could not believe i had not heard this album yet so i'm gonn have to check it out.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Delays - Everything's The Rush

Sigur Ros - With A Buzz In Our Ear We Play Endlessly

Coldplay - Viva La Vida
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    For me, it's still Death Cab for Cutie's Narrow Stairs.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • My Morning Jacket's Evil Urges until proven otherwise here. REM's Accelerate is an extremely close second. Their best since the early 1990s.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • SammyK14SammyK14 Posts: 287
    The Black Keys- Attack & Release
    5 years of Jam...

06: Pittsburgh
    07: Lollapalooza
    08: Bonnaroo, DC
    EV (second row!!!!!!) in DC
    09: Philly 2 & 3
    10: Newark
  • The_Fixer The_Fixer Posts: 255
    so far in 2008..

The Raconteurs - Consolers Of The Lonely
    The Black Keys - Attack & Release
    R.E.M - Accelerate
    MMJ - Evil Urges
    Montreal 08/20/98 | New York 09/11/98 | Wantagh 08/24/00 | Montreal 10/04/00 | Montreal 06/29/03 | Montreal 09/15/05
    Toronto 05/10/06 | Vancouver 04/02//08 (Ed) | Manchester 06/14/08 | Montreal 08/09/08 (Ed) | Montreal 08/10/08 (Ed) 
    Albany 06/08/09 (Ed) | Philadelphia 10/31/09 | Montreal 09/07/11 | Ottawa 05/08/16 | Brooklyn 04/07/17 (RRHOF)
    Dana Point 09/09/17 (Ed) | Rome 06/26/18
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    Evil Urges...MMJ
    the Minions
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    Raconteurs - Consolers... hands down... superb!!
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    Gotta agree. Doubt anything will top Sigur Ros.
  • Sigur Ros comes out tomorrow right?

I gotta pick that up.
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense

9/28/05 Pittsburgh
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    8/2/07 Vic
    8/5/07 Lolla
    6/16/08 Columbia
    8/17/08 DC (EV Solo)
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    intodeep wrote:
    this is one i have not heard yet that interest me a lot as well. Met a guy at the bar the other night we were playing some heavy picks on the juke box taking turns finally we started talking about metal etc. He could not believe i had not heard this album yet so i'm gonn have to check it out.
    I could easily place Watershed somewhere in the tops of the year so far, however ObZen, though difficult to get through in one listen, the musicianship (drum work on Bleed for example) is off the charts.

I predict you will be hooked once the first minute of track 1 is over :)
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    It's between these two for me:

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
    Kathleen Edwards - Asking for Flowers

Slight edge to Fleet Foxes because they also released a fabulous EP this year.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    Evil Urges...MMJ

Same for me. Those 55 minutes go by so quick when I listen to it.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    I've been teetering between Seventh Tree & Watershed for the past couple months, depending on the mood. There are many others so far this year that I like a lot, like Demians and Directions to see a Ghost...

I'd probably give Seventh Tree a miniscule slight nudge for favorite album so far...

Looking forward to the second half of the year! :D

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    Duplicate
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    nada surf - lucky

haven't heard the new sigur ros yet though & by the sound of gobbledigook i'm gonna love it
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    Mudhoney - The Lucky Ones
  • PJ_PhilPJ_Phil Posts: 84
    Top Five:

- Black Keys: Attack and Release
    - The Hold Steady: Stay Positive
    - My Morning Jacket: Evil Urges
    - Vampire Weekend: Vampire Weekend
    - REM: Accelerate

Honorable mentions include Coldplay (Viva la Vida), The Whigs (Mission Control), The Raconteurs (Consolers of the lonely), Death Cab for Cutie (Narrow Stairs)
    Shows:

Montreal 2003
    Boston (1&2) 2004
    Montreal 2005
    Ottawa 2005
    Halifax 2005
    Boston (1&2) 2006
    Hartford 2008
    Mansfield (1&2)2008
  • mgmt, black crowes & my morning jacket among my faves this year too.
    a few others:
    quarter after - changes near
    magnetic fields - distortion

peace,
    lz
    The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever. Because this is just a ride." And we...kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok? But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.
    --Bill Hicks
  • xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
    My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
    MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
    Sigur Ros - Don't feel like spelling this
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    santogold. her debut cd is awe-some!!!

i thought she was just a re-hash of MIA, but there is so much more to offer. she seems to have come out of nowhere! she performed at a corporate meeting that my company had in philly in april...it twas fantastic fun :D
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    meme wrote:
    Good, I'll check it out.
    We seem to have pretty similar musical taste. Although I am much less of a snob :D
    if you like the mgmt cd...i'd suggest checking out the band yeasayer - all hours cymbals (i think that's the album title w/out checking). they tour a lot w/ mgmt, so their sounds compliment one another. it's also one of my fav. albums of this year...i have quite a few :)
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • E.BloomE.Bloom Posts: 188
    soclose wrote:
    It's between these two for me:

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
    Kathleen Edwards - Asking for Flowers

Slight edge to Fleet Foxes because they also released a fabulous EP this year.

Good choices. Fleet Foxes is in my opinion one of the best bands to rise from Seattle since Pear jam:)
    A couple of other great great albums this year are:

Aimee Mann - @#%&*! Smilers
    Pete Molinari - A Virtual Landslide
    Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
    Roberto Fonseca - Zamazu
    we were but stones,your light made us stars

Dublin 06
    London 07
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    my vote goes to Saturnalia!
  • DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    I was going to say the MGMT album but that came out last year.

The new album I've enjoyed the most is The Vinny Club - Rocky IV reckyrd
    If you like cool eighties style computer game electronic music have a listen.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=60486793
  • spnkrispnkri Posts: 137
    It's a 3 way between Goldfrapp, Dresden Dolls and Death Cab. But I guess I'll have to give the edge to Goldfrapp - Seventh Tree since she has the best album cover. I mean just look at her.
  • MotorHeadMotorHead Posts: 50
    The year isn't over yet I might wait for new Kings of lion.

Any body else listen to the new Shinedown cd The Sound of Madness?
    Pretty dam good so for.
  • The Black Keys "Attack and Release"
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • PlantPage55PlantPage55 Posts: 136
    As of right now, it is easily "The Midnight Organ Fight" by Frightened Rabbit
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?