Is NIN worth seeing live?

Comments

• redrock wrote:
    So Mark.... converted after yesterday??? :D:D:D Great gig! Byrnzie.. crowd not too bad... We were second row throughout and Pippa survived!!!!! A bit crushed but I've seen worse! :D We did get Aaron diving into the crowd.. he must check out where there are a max of big blokes to be sure he doesn't go down! :D

Good gig. Really enjoyed myself. Excellent to see you and some others there, nice of you to come and say hi. I'm not sure 'converted' is the word, as I always liked them. I really loved the majority of it; the rest of the stuff I think I need to hear on CD again. I need to hear the subtleties of the music on record to really appreciate something. My friend Jon and I ended up chatting about how, when you're a fan, you sometimes fill in the bits in your head that you can't actually hear physically at the gig. A few tracks were just a wall of noise from a newbie's perspective (an enjoyable wall of noise); if you're remembering what something sounded like on CD it's easier to 'get'.

Tracks I loved:
    Too Fucked Up to Care Anymore
    Hurt (one of the most amazing songs ever written by anyone)
    ...and something about Pigs? :D
    I also love the songs 'We're in this together' and 'The Fragile' off, erm, The Fragile, but they didn't play those

Edit: I thought the crowd were quite rude at some points. Most of the songs that weren't 'greatest hits' were talked over pretty loudly. Sometimes Trent would be playing something beautiful as an instrumental section, and no-one seemed to be listening. People's attention spans for beautiful music are rubbish.

Edit 2: The support band so reminded me of The Mighty Boosh. I was picturing Noel Fielding singing all those songs. Really terrible.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Yep, OK, fair point. :)
    So did you end up going? *EDIT* Never mind lol
    I was going to buy tickets for Glasgow but they sold out instantly was dissapointed that there were no irish dates. Ah well, five PJ shows this summer will help me get over it :D
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Binaural wrote:
    So did you end up going? *EDIT* Never mind lol
    I was going to buy tickets for Glasgow but they sold out instantly was dissapointed that there were no irish dates. Ah well, five PJ shows this summer will help me get over it :D

FIVE???

Man I'm only going to my second at Wembley. But I'm living for it :) The rest of life can roll on...
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• I thought the crowd were quite rude at some points. Most of the songs that weren't 'greatest hits' were talked over pretty loudly. Sometimes Trent would be playing something beautiful as an instrumental section, and no-one seemed to be listening. People's attention spans for beautiful music are rubbish.

Thats what I found at glasgow - those delicacies are what make's Trent a genius... and a lot of people just didn't appreciatte it, including one person on his phone talking loudly "YEAH... HE"S PLAYING HURT!!! YEAH HURT. HURT.... THE SLOW ONE""
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Good gig. Really enjoyed myself. Excellent to see you and some others there, nice of you to come and say hi. I'm not sure 'converted' is the word, as I always liked them. I really loved the majority of it; the rest of the stuff I think I need to hear on CD again. I need to hear the subtleties of the music on record to really appreciate something. My friend Jon and I ended up chatting about how, when you're a fan, you sometimes fill in the bits in your head that you can't actually hear physically at the gig. A few tracks were just a wall of noise from a newbie's perspective (an enjoyable wall of noise); if you're remembering what something sounded like on CD it's easier to 'get'.

Tracks I loved:
    I also love the songs 'We're in this together' and 'The Fragile' off, erm, The Fragile, but they didn't play those

Edit: I thought the crowd were quite rude at some points. Most of the songs that weren't 'greatest hits' were talked over pretty loudly. Sometimes Trent would be playing something beautiful as an instrumental section, and no-one seemed to be listening. People's attention spans for beautiful music are rubbish.

Edit 2: The support band so reminded me of The Mighty Boosh. I was picturing Noel Fielding singing all those songs. Really terrible.

Glad you enjoyed it :D and hope explaining your strange internet Pearl Jam acquaintances to your friends wasn't too strange :o:D

Re your edit 1 I guess it was a little different where we were as there wasn't much talking at the front but I hope it wasn't too annoying for you when you were trying to listen and re your edit 2 apologies to Gossard_Is_God as I know he likes them but yeah not my cup of tea.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Since they played a lot of The Downward Spiral last night, I'm hoping they will focus on more of The Fragile tonight (my favourite) - hell I'm not REALLY that fussed what they play, but it would be really cool to hear We're in this together, the wretched, Into the void etc.
  • Chime wrote:
    Glad you enjoyed it :D and hope explaining your strange internet Pearl Jam acquaintances to your friends wasn't too strange :o:D

No course not, they're all seasoned 'internet chatters' themselves. They're officially gaming geeks as well. LAN parties and all that nonsense. :D They actually think we're cool for being a 'community', even though they haven't liked a PJ album since Yield :rolleyes:
    Chime wrote:
    Re your edit 1 I guess it was a little different where we were as there wasn't much talking at the front but I hope it wasn't too annoying for you when you were trying to listen and re your edit 2 apologies to Gossard_Is_God as I know he likes them but yeah not my cup of tea.

Well then my apologies to Gossard_Is_God too. :D Seemed like a nice guy, shame we didn't get to chat more. As for the crowd chatting, it wasn't too distracting cus I was up on the platform.

But who were the support anyway? They didn't tell us did they?

• chimechime Posts: 7,838
    But who were the support anyway? They didn't tell us did they?

I think they said they were Ladytron or something similar :o
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Chime wrote:

Well I was picturing Noel Fielding as the front man. 'I am Electro Boy' and all that... My friends were laughing at me because I was playing Snake on my phone the entire time.

• Chime wrote:

I found this:

http://www.freewilliamsburg.com/june_2001/ladytron.html

• audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Glad you had a good time, but I have to say, it's a little dissapointing that the London show's setlist was identical to the Birmingham one (last gig they played), but Trent was ill, so I forgive him. Even though he cancelled the last show I was going to.

The Manchester crowd was pretty crap on the 25th, but I was screaming my lungs out to every song, without exception. We can't really help it if the rest of the crowd is rubbish. Though some people near me (near the front) didn't seem to be that into it at all. No one seemed to know Something I Can Never Have, which is ridiculous!

Anyone talking through the slow songs should be shot. They are fantastic, and all a part of Trent creative genius.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
    Tracks I loved:

Somewhat Damaged is the name of the song with the line too fucked up to care anymore.

The song with pigs was Piggy, if it's a slower song you're thinking of, or March Of The Pigs if it's a faster one you're thinking of.

They don't play We're In This Together or The Fragile very much, so you'd be very lucky to hear either. I missed We're In This Together by one show, and was gutted, as it's my favourite NIN song, and the first I ever heard.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

• releesemereleeseme Posts: 387
    Seats at a concert is pretty much an american concept. I can't sit down when listening to a CD of NIN, never mind a live concert.

Most American venuse are arenas. Most people don't "sit", but there are seats there.
    8-20-92 \ 6-16-08
    10-4-96 \ 5-6-10
    9-6-98 \ 5-7-10
    4-19-03 \ 9-22-12
    10-6-04 \ 7-19-13
    6-24-06 \ 12-6-13
    10-1-14 \ 4-16-16
    \ 4-26-16 \
  • After 0000 BA Europe will be seated too I'm sure.
  • audiodave wrote:
    Somewhat Damaged is the name of the song with the line too fucked up to care anymore.

Yes, sorry. I'm such a n00b. I loved that song, and it was a great early one in the set.
    audiodave wrote:
    The song with pigs was Piggy, if it's a slower song you're thinking of, or March Of The Pigs if it's a faster one you're thinking of.

Yep. I really like both of them. :)
    audiodave wrote:
    They don't play We're In This Together or The Fragile very much, so you'd be very lucky to hear either. I missed We're In This Together by one show, and was gutted, as it's my favourite NIN song, and the first I ever heard.

Same here :D

• whitepantswhitepants Posts: 727
    Let's put it this way.

NIN is the ONLY band I will be in the mosh pit for. The ONLY one.

The kick ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
    Yes, sorry. I'm such a n00b. I loved that song, and it was a great early one in the set.

Not at all, just thought you might like to know the name of the song. :)

A good song, but not one of my favourites I have to say.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• audiodave wrote:
    Not at all, just thought you might like to know the name of the song. :)

A good song, but not one of my favourites I have to say.

Fair enough, at least we agree on our favourite :D

• Penny453Penny453 Posts: 200
    how many of the same thread are going to pop up?...I could've sworn other people have already asked the same question...and you get the same response. Bleh.
    "And even when I'm right with you I'm so far away"
    Just got back from seeing them - fucking awesome! Played loads of cool stuff, no We're in this together, but they did play The Wretched which is one of my favourites from The Fragile. They also played The beginning of the end - from the new album, which I believe hasn't been played before, and it was damn good.

I have to say there was a very high quota of wankers in the audience. I had this little obnoxious drunken bitch in front of me who kept falling into people and thought it was funny, and a very odd and unpleasant bloke who quite honestly looked like a serial killer, standing next to me. It was pretty disturbing when he was screaming along the 'I wanna fuck you like an animal' part of Closer! To top it off I had a constant stream of people pushing past throughout the show (find a fucking space and stay there, dickheads!) and the people behind us talked through the entire show including Hurt.

So in conclusion, the band were excellent, the audience (around me) were shit!
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    You know what else you got? The live debut of The Beginning of the End, so that would be historical. I am very jealous. It took NIN a while to seep into my distracted mind, but I am now a hardcore fan and consider them tied with PJ as my favorite band. Glad you enjoyed the show.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I have to say there was a very high quota of wankers in the audience.

I heard that it was a hell of a lot rougher in the pit last night than it was Wednesday.... Did you get in the listening party (with cakes and tea!)?
  • spiral outspiral out Posts: 1,052
    I'm seeing them on saturday night and i cant wait, it's my first time. What time did they come on stage and who's the support act?
    Keep on rockin in the free world!!!!

The economy has polarized to the point where the wealthiest 10% now own 85% of the nation’s wealth. Never before have the bottom 90% been so highly indebted, so dependent on the wealthy.
  • spiral out wrote:
    I'm seeing them on saturday night and i cant wait, it's my first time. What time did they come on stage and who's the support act?

It was probably the most tightly planned gig I've been to. Ladytron (not my cup of tea to say the least!) supported for just over half an hour. NIN came on at just gone 8.00pm.

• ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    I have to say there was a very high quota of wankers in the audience. I had this little obnoxious drunken bitch in front of me who kept falling into people and thought it was funny, and a very odd and unpleasant bloke who quite honestly looked like a serial killer, standing next to me. It was pretty disturbing when he was screaming along the 'I wanna fuck you like an animal' part of Closer! To top it off I had a constant stream of people pushing past throughout the show (find a fucking space and stay there, dickheads!) and the people behind us talked through the entire show including Hurt.

So in conclusion, the band were excellent, the audience (around me) were shit!

that really fucking annoys me when people talk through a gig. if you want to talk, stay at home!

and as for wankers and weirdos, when i went to see tool last november there was an annoying twat in front of me, off his face, bouncing and flailing unpredictably and uncontrolably. have been twatted in the eye for a third time, he was grabbed by the scruff of the neck and told if he did it again he'd suffer. i have no problem with people getting into it but have a bit of though for others around you.

can't wait for tomorrow night!
    redrock wrote:
    I heard that it was a hell of a lot rougher in the pit last night than it was Wednesday.... Did you get in the listening party (with cakes and tea!)?

No listening party for me unfortunately. It did look pretty rough down the front, I hung back a bit, but was still in a pretty decent spot.
    It was probably the most tightly planned gig I've been to. Ladytron (not my cup of tea to say the least!) supported for just over half an hour. NIN came on at just gone 8.00pm.

Ladytron have to be THE most boring support act I've ever seen, it wasn't so much that they were bad (alright for background music I guess) they just droned on for what seemed like an eternity!
  • Ladytron have to be THE most boring support act I've ever seen, it wasn't so much that they were bad (alright for background music I guess) they just droned on for what seemed like an eternity!

I was laughing my ass off when the singer kept going 'He took her to a movie' after every single line of one of the songs. And she was speaking into a stupid voice changer that made her sound like a pretentiously 'scary' ghost-like figure. Now 'that' is trying too hard.

Plus every single chord structure and musical part was extremely predictable. Electronica by numbers.

• V VV V Posts: 5,191
    NIN were ACEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I loved it :)
    just in case you wanted my thoughts :p
    ~~~~~~~~~~ PINK FLUFFY LOVE PSYCHO~~~~~~~~~~
    Astoria,Dublin,Reading 06,Wembley 07,Sheapards Bush & o2 09 thats multiple Jamgasms!
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I seen em twice.. the first time was pretty good.. but when I seen em at Sasquatch it was one of the best shows i've ever seen... very cool visuals... amazing setlist and the crowd was totally into it.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!