Is NIN worth seeing live?

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited March 2007 in Other Music
I'm going to see NIN live tonight in Brixton. Only thing is, I'm only a casual fan at best (I like what I've heard, but that's not much). I'm also fairly exhausted from a hard week at work. I'd rather be going out for dinner with my wife. I'm getting old. When I originally said yes to the ticket, I was excited. Now, I'm just 'yeah, OK, fine'.

What would you say to convince me I'll have a great time at the gig, despite making the tiring trip into London?
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i didn't know much of their music either t'ill i saw them a couple of weeks ago for the first time but it was really great.
    i was expecting it to be good but i was really impressed. i'm sure you'll love it, when you'll be at the gig it will be pretty obvious they kick ass.
    Marseille 09/09/06, Paris 11/09/06,wembley 18/06/07, werchter 07
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I'm going to see NIN live tonight in Brixton. Only thing is, I'm only a casual fan at best (I like what I've heard, but that's not much). I'm also fairly exhausted from a hard week at work. I'd rather be going out for dinner with my wife. I'm getting old. When I originally said yes to the ticket, I was excited. Now, I'm just 'yeah, OK, fine'.

What would you say to convince me I'll have a great time at the gig, despite making the tiring trip into London?

this is what you can expect: http://youtube.com/watch?v=f2xyU161j-o

I'm going to see them tomorrow for the first time, can't fucking wait
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    damn right they are worth going to see live. i would place them in my top 5 live bands - and i have seen 100's down the years!
  • words can't describe how good they are.

go here and watch all the clips and then try not to get excited:

http://halo22.nin.com/trailerclips.html
  • surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    I really wanted to see them on this tour but couldn't make it, then I saw a old friend who went and said they were really dissapinting and he is a huge fan.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • I really wanted to see them on this tour but couldn't make it, then I saw a old friend who went and said they were really dissapinting and he is a huge fan.

What date was he at?
  • SchmaktSchmakt Posts: 207
    yes, absolutely, without question. Go!

Your wife will be around forever... who knows when Trent will reemerge... :)
    2003-04-15: Raleigh, NC
    2003-04-16: Charlotte, NC
    2004-10-06: Asheville, NC
    2006-05-30: Washington, DC
    2006-08-29: Arnhem, The Netherlands
    2006-12-02: Honolulu, Hawaii
    2012-06-26: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    2012-09-22: Atlanta, GA
    2013-10-30: Charlotte, NC
    2014-01-19: Gold Coast, Australia
    2014-06-28: Stockholm, Sweden
    2014-06-29: Oslo, Norway
    2016-04-18: Hampton, VA
    2016-04-20: Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21: Columbia, SC
    2018-07-01: Prague, Czech Republic
    2018-07-03: Krakow, Poland
    2018-09-04: Boston, MA
    2020-07-15: Budapest, Hungary
    2020-07-17: Zurich, Switzerland
    2023-09-19: Austin, TX
    What date was he at?

Manchester on the 25th I believe.
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

• There's been a huge shift in both the music and the fan base of Nine Inch Nails since with_teeth came out. When I went to see them this time I wasn't the only one that didn't have eyeliner on, whereas I was in 2005. I think if I was a hardcore Nine Inch Nails fan that could piss me off. The Frail, The wretched, the Piggies whatever they want to call themselves are now standing side by side with people in Burberry base ball caps(Maybe a bit of an exaggeration).... possibly a sign that there is a lack of decent music around at the moment and people are starting to broaden there horizons a little, which in turn widens the Nine Inch Nails fan base...

I don't think the music has suffered, but maybe there's less of a feeling of being part of somethign when you are in the audience.... I don't really know cos as I've said, I'm not really a hardcore fan. I just adore the music.
  • Manchester on the 25th I believe.

Trent told glasgow that the crowd were shite at that gig.
    I have seen them before and they were really good and my friend has seen them four times before this and loved them. He just says there was something missing this time.

• Schmakt wrote:
    who knows when Trent will reemerge... :)

Exactly!!! I think the time between with_teeth and year zero is the shortest time between studio albums of his career so far.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I saw their first ever gig in London at The Astoria in about 1990 I think it was - maybe 1991. It was pretty full-on. They filmed the video for 'Head like a hole' there. I doubt I could be assed to see them now though.
  • Byrnzie wrote:
    I saw their first ever gig in London at The Astoria in about 1990 I think it was - maybe 1991. It was pretty full-on. They filmed the video for 'Head like a hole' there. I doubt I could be assed to see them now though.

What do you mean? Cos of the mental crowd? Just not into the music anymore? I was amazed at how placid the crowd was. I've had worse at Pearl Jam.
  • redsfan1redsfan1 Posts: 26
    They are definately worth seeing but with all big bands it depends on your seats. I've been front row and very far back. Being close is worth it, i don't know if i will bother going if i am ever that far back again. I might as well sit on my couch and listen to the boot instead. At least that way i dont' have to hear the people next to me talk about everyone at their office being assholes.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    What do you mean? Cos of the mental crowd? Just not into the music anymore? I was amazed at how placid the crowd was. I've had worse at Pearl Jam.

Yeah, the crowd was mental there back then. The whole place was a mosh pit. I don't know what their crowds are like now though.
  • Byrnzie wrote:
    Yeah, the crowd was mental there back then. The whole place was a mosh pit. I don't know what their crowds are like now though.

A mixture of disgruntled posh kids that wish they had something to rebel against and older people that like the music in my opinion. The usual trench coat mafia cliches. Small fat ugly people with black clothes, eyeliner and beards - thats just the women.... but as I say I really don't find them that rough... I was in the front for the whole gig in Glasgow last week. That's something I wasn't able to do at about 5 out of the 8 Pearl Jam gigs I went to last year.
  • redsfan1 wrote:
    They are definately worth seeing but with all big bands it depends on your seats. I've been front row and very far back. Being close is worth it, i don't know if i will bother going if i am ever that far back again. I might as well sit on my couch and listen to the boot instead. At least that way i dont' have to hear the people next to me talk about everyone at their office being assholes.

Thats what's nice about this tour. They seem to be playing several small club dates in each place rather than one big place. Which is probably why Trent is cancelling gigs to rest his voice.
  • disgruntled posh kids that wish they had something to rebel against

Bill Bailey does a good take off of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no7tyW31ekE

I think this is the correct video I have no audio at work....

The lyrics should be "How can I feel sad when your being so supportive"
  • releesemereleeseme Posts: 387
    Nine Inch Nails are unreal live. You will LOVE it. I have seen them 3 times, and they have put on a spectacular show everytime.
    8-20-92 \ 6-16-08
    10-4-96 \ 5-6-10
    9-6-98 \ 5-7-10
    4-19-03 \ 9-22-12
    10-6-04 \ 7-19-13
    6-24-06 \ 12-6-13
    10-1-14 \ 4-16-16
    \ 4-26-16 \
  • luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    YES!
    see them as many times as you can
    i've seen them from the floor and from the seats
    both times...AWESOME show!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    you must see this band live before you decide whether youre a NIN fan. I saw them in 2001 because I got free tix from Q101. now they are one of maybe 3 bands that I must listen to everyday (PJ and SP are the other 2). With Teeth is an incredible album, and i saw them 7 times between 2005-06. after you go to the show and fall in love, go buy Beside You In Time, the new live DVD. worth every penny.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • I don't know. I mean, I like them. I think they're great musicians. The music is creative.

But I can't help wondering whether Trent singing about darkness and depression and heads like a hole - at his age, and on his income - is all a little bit Emo.

Many of the people taking the piss of Emo are the same people that are massive NIN fans. I'm just not sure I really get it.

I'll be digging the music though.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    redsfan1 wrote:

seat? SEATS?

brixton is a standing venue. at least downstairs is (i wouldn't know about upstairs, never haveing been there). seats just get in the way!
  • Arctangent wrote:
    seat? SEATS?

brixton is a standing venue. at least downstairs is (i wouldn't know about upstairs, never haveing been there). seats just get in the way!

Seats at a concert is pretty much an american concept. I can't sit down when listening to a CD of NIN, never mind a live concert.
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    I was a casual fan when I went to see them and I haven't listened to NIN since. The beginning of the show was good and it closed strong, but the middle was SOOOOOO boring.

Good thing Queens of the Stone Age and Death From Above 1979 opened
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    So Mark.... converted after yesterday??? :D:D:D Great gig! Byrnzie.. crowd not too bad... We were second row throughout and Pippa survived!!!!! A bit crushed but I've seen worse! :D We did get Aaron diving into the crowd.. he must check out where there are a max of big blokes to be sure he doesn't go down! :D
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    I don't know. I mean, I like them. I think they're great musicians. The music is creative.

But I can't help wondering whether Trent singing about darkness and depression and heads like a hole - at his age, and on his income - is all a little bit Emo.

Many of the people taking the piss of Emo are the same people that are massive NIN fans. I'm just not sure I really get it.

I'll be digging the music though.
    Really? Thats like saying you don't get the difference between RATM and Linkin Park, there is a huge difference.
    BTW, don't pay too much attention to the sarcasm, it's said in a lighthearted way.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Binaural wrote:
    Really? Thats like saying you don't get the difference between RATM and Linkin Park

Yep, OK, fair point. :)

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    So how was the show?! I so can't wait for tonight!