I'm a METAL noob, help me out?!!!

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    There is so much fucking different metal out there it is hard to know where to start.

Transplant made some good suggestions.

I'm afraid the vocals for Mastodon may throw you off at first but perhaps you would grow into them later.

-One band that has not been mentioned that you may enjoy a lot is DOWN
    Their first album is the best one to start with. Give these guys a try. It is Phil (from pantera) on vocals and he sings a little bit more then he did with Pantera and i beleive the guitarist from Cathedral{my bad i said i believe because i wan't sureit is Corrosion of Conformity but and their riffs were awesoem too :) } (which was always the best part of Cathedral in my opinion) who lays down some great "Groove Metal" riffs.

-I'll also throw out there if you like Queens of the Stone Age and have not checked out Josh's first band Kyuss they should be looked at as well. They fuckin groove like crazy. josh does not sing but he does some of his best guitar work with Kyuss. Espcially considering i think he was like 18 years old when the band started or some shit like that. Check out the album Welcome to Sky Valley.
    Like Down it is not extreme metal and should be friendly to your ears.

-Another one that has been suggested but i'll say again because i think you would dig it is High on Fire. A little motorhead style vocals with riffs to die for. Blessed Black Wings is probalby their best album.

-also if you want a throw back new band check out the Sword they have two albums and the both rock like Unholy Sabbath! Easy vocals. they sound a lot like sabbath with a new kick to them. Not sure which album of theirs i like the best though

Other stuff i love but i'm not sure you would dig that has been mentione is:
    Mastodon- Leviathan or Blood Mountain both great
    Opeth- Blackwater Park, Still Life, Watershed, Damnation (all clean vocals)
    Amon Amarth- Fate of Norns
    Messuggah- ObZen
    Pantera-Vulgar Display of Power
    Metallica- Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightening
    Slayer- Seasons in the Abyss, Reign in Blood
    Sepultura- Chaos AD
    Strapping Young Lad-City
    Machine Head- Blackening

Those first four i went into detail on i think you may like though.

\m/
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    ProgFan511 wrote:
    Also, check out the documentary Headbangers Journey.

Great DVD.

Truthfully it's hard to find new metal to get into. I can only take so much of the vanilla "screaming over third-rate Pantera riffs" for so long.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    intodeep wrote:
    There is so much fucking different metal out there it is hard to know where to start.

I'm afraid the vocals for Mastodon may throw you off at first but perhaps you would grow into them later.

-I'll also throw out there if you like Queens of the Stone Age and have not checked out Josh's first band Kyuss they should be looked at as well. They fuckin groove like crazy. josh does not sing but he does some of his best guitar work with Kyuss. Espcially considering i think he was like 18 years old when the band started or some shit like that. Check out the album Welcome to Sky Valley.

kyuss is metal?? hmm. i like them cause theyre just nice-heavy for me. chugging guitar and garcia's voice. good driving music. :) though in general im never sure where the metal line is drawn, cause im fucking hopeless at defining genres.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • intodeep wrote:

-One band that has not been mentioned that you may enjoy a lot is DOWN
    Their first album is the best one to start with. Give these guys a try. It is Phil (from pantera) on vocals and he sings a little bit more then he did with Pantera and i beleive the guitarist from Cathedral (which was always the best part of Cathedral in my opinion) who lays down some great "Groove Metal" riffs.

-Another one that has been suggested but i'll say again because i think you would dig it is High on Fire. A little motorhead style vocals with riffs to die for. Blessed Black Wings is probalby their best album.

-also if you want a throw back new band check out the Sword they have two albums and the both rock like Unholy Sabbath! Easy vocals. they sound a lot like sabbath with a new kick to them. Not sure which album of theirs i like the best though

Other stuff i love but i'm not sure you would dig that has been mentione is:
    Mastodon- Leviathan or Blood Mountain both great
    Opeth- Blackwater Park, Still Life, Watershed, Damnation (all clean vocals)
    Amon Amarth- Fate of Norns
    Messuggah- ObZen
    Pantera-Vulgar Display of Power
    Metallica- Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightening
    Slayer- Seasons in the Abyss, Reign in Blood
    Sepultura- Chaos AD
    Strapping Young Lad-City
    Machine Head- Blackening

Those first four i went into detail on i think you may like though.

\m/

Erm.... the guitarist from Down isn't from Cathedral.

Down are my second favourite band period. IMO they're one of the greatest metal bands to walk the earth but then, with a history like Crowbar, COC, Pantera and Eyehategod, who's surprised? That is exactly why I have a Down tattoo next to a PJ one.

High on Fire are another great act, Blessed Black Wings is a monumental album.

The Sword, again are fantastic but not really metal.

I wouldn't class Kyuss as metal either.

You've suggested The Blackening when Machine Head have produced albums like Burn My Eyes?! C'mon...

Tbh I think you've touched on a good point though, there is too much metal out there to just 'get into it'. I could suggest 100 and 1 bands but I could guarantee Harmless wouldn't like any of them.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • I forgot to mention.. I find it impossible to take most Metallica seriously. I understand how monumental it was, but I guess you had to be there. It's cheesy, reminds me of boys' cartoons and I'd file it under 'Old skool' along with Megadeth.

You can't take Metallica seriously?! :confused:

Have you even heard anything PRE Black album?!

Granted, Metallica have slacked off in recent years and StAnger was a joke but c'mon, saying you can't take Metallica seriously, yet you're a System of a Down fan and you want to 'get into' metal?

Not a good start.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• You can't take Metallica seriously?! :confused:

Have you even heard anything PRE Black album?!

Granted, Metallica have slacked off in recent years and StAnger was a joke but c'mon, saying you can't take Metallica seriously, yet you're a System of a Down fan and you want to 'get into' metal?

Not a good start.

To be fair, Metallica did have their fair share of pretty stereotypical metal stuff going on. For every Master of Puppets, you had your Leper Messiah. I do love some of their early stuff - even some of their later stuff - but it's understandable that some of it would sound as cheesy as Megadeth.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • To be fair, Metallica did have their fair share of pretty stereotypical metal stuff going on. For every Master of Puppets, you had your Leper Messiah. I do love some of their early stuff - even some of their later stuff - but it's understandable that some of it would sound as cheesy as Megadeth.

Oh yeah i'm not saying that, I agree Al, it's just I don't think you can say you can't take Metallica seriously when you're a fan of stuff like SOAD (I'm not criticizing that, I own two of their albums, i'm just saying put it into perspective). Sereotypes are that for a reason - they set a standard.

I think Metallica only seem stereotypical now. Back when the albums were released they were astounding and still are when played live today. Megadeth, again, some of their songs are great metal tunes! 'Sweating Bullets' is where Pantera got the term 'Black Tooth Grin' from ffs! They're not to my taste but I can see the influence they've had on the metal today, just like 'Tallica. :)

• Oh yeah i'm not saying that, I agree Al, it's just I don't think you can say you can't take Metallica seriously when you're a fan of stuff like SOAD (I'm not criticizing that, I own two of their albums, i'm just saying put it into perspective). Sereotypes are that for a reason - they set a standard.

I think Metallica only seem stereotypical now. Back when the albums were released they were astounding and still are when played live today. Megadeth, again, some of their songs are great metal tunes! 'Sweating Bullets' is where Pantera got the term 'Black Tooth Grin' from ffs! They're not to my taste but I can see the influence they've had on the metal today, just like 'Tallica. :)

Ah, okay, that's pretty fair. :) SOAD seem to be the "crossover" act of the last 5 years or so... people who don't like metal in the least like SOAD - or at least Chop Suey and Aerials.

I'd also say that anyone who doesn't "get" Metallica, but wants to get into metal, should at least make the effort to see them live. I'm by no means a huge, rabid fan of theirs, but goddamn they put on a good show.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Early Metallica
    Overkill
    Exodus
    Pantera
    Opeth
    Black Label Society

And of course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faOz35nYWSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IebbyCAU2YA
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Ah, okay, that's pretty fair. :) SOAD seem to be the "crossover" act of the last 5 years or so... people who don't like metal in the least like SOAD - or at least Chop Suey and Aerials.

I'd also say that anyone who doesn't "get" Metallica, but wants to get into metal, should at least make the effort to see them live. I'm by no means a huge, rabid fan of theirs, but goddamn they put on a good show.

Good point on two counts :)

SOAD are Nu Metal to me, not that there's anything wrong with that, but they did cross over.

'Tallica live are amazing. I've seen them 3 times and you're right, they ALWAYS put on a good show. Doubters will be silenced ;)

I'm glad we're on the same page, again ;)

• Collin wrote:
    Black Label Society

For me, only up until Blessed Hellride. Everything after is highly tenuous.

1919, Sonic Brew and Stronger Than Death are my favourites, you could march to war on those babies.

• Good point on two counts :)

SOAD are Nu Metal to me, not that there's anything wrong with that, but they did cross over.

'Tallica live are amazing. I've seen them 3 times and you're right, they ALWAYS put on a good show. Doubters will be silenced ;)

I'm glad we're on the same page, again ;)

It's still hard to forgive Metallica for molesting and abusing Whiskey In The Jar, though. As an Irishman, that cuts me deep. :p
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931

1919, Sonic Brew and Stronger Than Death are my favourites, you could march to war on those babies.

I haven't heard anything by BLS since Blessed Hellride.

I've seen Metallica live twice, amazing shows.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    I went to a rock night at my local club where they played metal all night. It was fucking incredible, I got totally bladdered, but I hardly recognised any of what I was hearing.

The closest I've got to metal are Deftones, System of a Down and old-skool Korn. Some grunge tips its hat to metal, I s'pose (AIC particularly).

I like rhythm, technicality and changes in tempo (hence my liking of System of a Down). I love ATMOSPHERE (hence my liking for Deftones). The stuff I loved in this rock night quite often switched from fast and chuggy with growling vocals, to sloooow and chuggy and full of SLUDGY atmosphere.

Where should I start? I have no real Metal in my collection at all.
    Sounds like you are into nu metal, not metal. There are so many genres of metal and you don't have to like them all. Some just won't click. I prefer thrash metal over all other metal and cannot stand death metal personally.

Try early Metallica (again, listen to Orion please), Iron Maiden (anything from the eighties with Bruce), and Pantera (Cowboys from Hell). They're all different types and the most accessible in my view. There's plenty more out there, but that's my two cents.

I bought "Hangover Music Volume VI" because of the title. It's mellow & pretty chill, but I wouldn't suggest it for someone wanting to get into metal.

Blessed Hellride is awesome, though.
    kyuss is metal?? hmm. i like them cause theyre just nice-heavy for me. chugging guitar and garcia's voice. good driving music. :) though in general im never sure where the metal line is drawn, cause im fucking hopeless at defining genres.
    Well a lot of folks give Kyuss and Sleep credit for starting "stoner metal" which has a groove to it that i think sounds like OP would enjoy.

there are a shit ton of metal genres though.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • OUTHOUSEOUTHOUSE Posts: 39
    Pantera
    Down
    Black Sabbath
    Electric Wizard
    Kyuss
    Melvins
    Clutch
    Strife
    Earth Crisis
    Neurosis
    Pelican
    Isis
    Metallica
    Mastodon
    Slayer
    Karma to Burn
    Superjoint Ritual

(just to name the first few that come to mind)
    Erm.... the guitarist from Down isn't from Cathedral.

You've suggested The Blackening when Machine Head have produced albums like Burn My Eyes?! C'mon...

Yeah my mistake with Pepper Keenan. As for Machine Head i picked up the blackening last year and it is the only album of theirs i've heard. I liked it and thought they might have a groove OP would like so i suggested it. I have not listened to their other albums but i'll check out Burn My eyes at some point.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    Yeah my mistake with Pepper Keenan.

Keenan is a god... IMO ;)

Although, ol' Kirky Winstein rips out a few grand riffs for Down... Damn I love that band :o

Are you a COC or Crowbar fan at all?

• OUTHOUSE wrote:
    Pantera
    Down
    Black Sabbath
    Electric Wizard
    Kyuss
    Melvins
    Clutch
    Metallica
    Mastodon
    Slayer
    Superjoint Ritual

(just to name the first few that come to mind)

:eek: I love you.... :o

Great list :D Although, out of it i'd only say few would appeal to the OP.

Superjoint were incredible though \m/

• danny72688 wrote:
    Sounds like you are into nu metal, not metal. There are so many genres of metal and you don't have to like them all. Some just won't click. I prefer thrash metal over all other metal and cannot stand death metal personally.

Try early Metallica (again, listen to Orion please), Iron Maiden (anything from the eighties with Bruce), and Pantera (Cowboys from Hell). They're all different types and the most accessible in my view. There's plenty more out there, but that's my two cents.

Great two cents! :D
    Collin wrote:
    I haven't heard anything by BLS since Blessed Hellride.

I've seen Metallica live twice, amazing shows.
    fanch75 wrote:
    I bought "Hangover Music Volume VI" because of the title. It's mellow & pretty chill, but I wouldn't suggest it for someone wanting to get into metal.

Blessed Hellride is awesome, though.

Hangover Music is probably the best one since Blessed Hellride, it is chilled and I think, more like his solo album 'Book of Shadows' (which is great and came before BLS). Avoid the albums after BH like the plague... over produced, overpaid and Zakk's lost his focus. A shame really, they were awesome :(
    It's still hard to forgive Metallica for molesting and abusing Whiskey In The Jar, though. As an Irishman, that cuts me deep. :p

I like their version :o

• danny72688 wrote:

Yes, at present I am into some 'Nu-Metal' but I have acknowledged that I haven't yet had a serious look into what you might call 'real metal', and I want to. They didn't play any Nu-Metal on the rock night I went to and I still liked most of it.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. So far I like Pantera and Soulfly a lot, Fear Factory are OK (apart from the synths) and Sian, it sounds like I'll like Down. I'll give that a go.

To answer your points about Metallica Sian, I do ackowledge how genre-defining Metallica were. No, I haven't heard some of their earlier stuff; when I think of Metallica I think of 'Nothing Else Matters', which to me sounds like third-rate PJ 'Ten'.

But I don't think I'd appreciate the somewhat dated, 'of the era' sound that they have as much as someone who grew up with them might. It doesn't sound ground-breaking to my ears, however much I appreciate that SOAD owe their sound to them. That's the important thing.

Even though I like technical and complex rhythms, I'm not sure if I like thrash much for the same reason as I don't love punk. It's always fast and there's no 'space' where the drummer/guitarist settles into a 'groove'.

Sian, I presume you've heard Oceansize. They occasionally verge on metal and when they do, it's incredibly interesting, sonically. :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • I like their version :o

Even more than this?!?!? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eOIU9ekSMk :p:D
    Everyone!

If you like hard-hitting metal with a groove, Grip Inc. is a great band. I have two of their albums (Solidify & Incorporated) and they both kick ass. The vocals are heavy but not cookie-monster sounding, and Grip Inc has great production. It's not just fast playing with screaming, which is boring.

Check out "The Answer" (if you pick one song, pick The Answer!!) and "Curse of the Cloth" on their myspace page. Hell, check them all out.

http://www.myspace.com/gripincmusic

Edit: I meant to type "The Answer" above, not "Amped." .
    Cool cover of "Paint It Black" on that page. I only have the Solidy & Incorporated albums, so I only know the two songs on that site from those albums.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Sian, I presume you've heard Oceansize. They occasionally verge on metal and when they do, it's incredibly interesting, sonically. :)
    not that you are addressing me, however if you love Oceansize, you absolutely should look into Isis and Pelican.

Since I now know a bit more where you are coming from, Opeth's Watershed would be a great one to at least get an idea where you want to go Metal-wise. They are all over the place.

Also, take intodeep's suggestion of The Sword. riff city.

I also have certain bands that mentally I cannot get myself to listen to anymore, however I will go on record and state Master of Puppets is one of the greatest metal releases ever.
  • Yes, at present I am into some 'Nu-Metal' but I have acknowledged that I haven't yet had a serious look into what you might call 'real metal', and I want to. They didn't play any Nu-Metal on the rock night I went to and I still liked most of it.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. So far I like Pantera and Soulfly a lot, Fear Factory are OK (apart from the synths) and Sian, it sounds like I'll like Down. I'll give that a go.

To answer your points about Metallica Sian, I do ackowledge how genre-defining Metallica were. No, I haven't heard some of their earlier stuff; when I think of Metallica I think of 'Nothing Else Matters', which to me sounds like third-rate PJ 'Ten'.

But I don't think I'd appreciate the somewhat dated, 'of the era' sound that they have as much as someone who grew up with them might. It doesn't sound ground-breaking to my ears, however much I appreciate that SOAD owe their sound to them. That's the important thing.

Even though I like technical and complex rhythms, I'm not sure if I like thrash much for the same reason as I don't love punk. It's always fast and there's no 'space' where the drummer/guitarist settles into a 'groove'.

But what kind of 'real metal' do you want to get into? What is 'real metal' to you Mark? As a few of us have pointed out, there's A LOT of different types.

Out of interest, what Pantera, Fear Factory and Soulfly have you heard?

I didn't grow up with Metallica, infact I was only just born when Kill 'em All was released. Someone suggested listening to Master of Puppets, I think that's as good a place as any to start giving Metallica a chance, it is one of the greatest metal releases ever. Also, I never said they were ground breaking.

You don't think you'll like thrash? How about giving it a go first.

I have heard Oceansize - i'm not overly struck.

• transplant wrote:
    not that you are addressing me, however if you love Oceansize, you absolutely should look into Isis and Pelican.

I agree.

Personally, i'm not struck on Isis or Pelican either though. Not really my thing :)

• That is legendary! :D

I think it's the song I like tbh :o

• That is legendary! :D

I think it's the song I like tbh :o

I'd like to hear Metallica do a faithful cover of it. :D Lars on banjo, Rob on fiddle... It'd be one for the ages.